Jamal Adams "Arguably the best Safety in the League" Video Breakdown

29 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Great thread @Villain The Foe !

One of the aspects of the Jets we have been missing is that trust in great players. We had it with the Sack Exchange. We had it with Parcells LB corp. of Jones, Mo and Cox. We had it with Revis. When you knew your players were going to be smart and make the play.  Jamal Adams offers that. Problem has been Bowels/Rodgers idiotic D schemes and a lack of talent out there with him. I love Jamal Adams and I honestly believe he wants to be great and be on a great D. He loves the idea of CJ Mosely being out there with him and so do I.  

Getting Rid of Skrine and Lee and replacing them with Pool and Mosely respectively is going to be a sea change for this D. Quinnen Wiliams and Polite to the D line could be big too. Add to it that Williams actually knows how to call a D and make adjustments. 

I'm excited for this team and Jamal Adams is one of the reasons. I wonder how long it's going to take for guys to get over the draft selection aspect of this player.

Good point. I think that with more top talent on this defense it could free Adams up a bit more in coverage for example. Last year you could make the argument that Adams was the best linebacker-type player on the team given how great he was in the box. But now that Mosley is there, how much does that free up Adams to do more things in the passing game? 

Granted, Mosley is a ILB and Adams was playing on the edges, but just that level of talent alone has to be respected which takes away attention from Adams. Imagine if we had such a Linebacker AND QW becomes a dominant pass rusher? 

Adams ability would just become even more valuable because you can really get creative with what you want him to do and not have him constantly in the box having to help out a bunch of guys who cant do their job consistently. 

Folks fail to realize that Adams is used the way he is because he gets the job done. If we can get the front 7 to do their job then that will allow Adams to protect downfield more often. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean if it were 12 to 4 INT's your point about 3x would be interesting, but 3-1. Meh. I like how you refer to 3.5 as "almost as many" as 5.5 but 3 as 3 times as many as 1. Doesn't seem biased at all.

Jamal Adams has 100% more forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. Am I doing it right?

No. You aren't. Stop being a homer fan boy. Ask a non Jets or Chargers fan who the better player is (not twitter celeb). Not even close.

• Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean if it were 12 to 4 INT's your point about 3x would be interesting, but 3-1. Meh. I like how you refer to 3.5 as "almost as many" as 5.5 but 3 as 3 times as many as 1. Doesn't seem biased at all.

Jamal Adams has 100% more forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. Am I doing it right?

That's a fair response. 

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Derwin is phenomenal but @Scoop24 does have a point. 

Just look at the talent that makes up that Chargers defense. 

1. Joey Bosa (Pro Bowler)

2. Melvin Ingram (Pro Bowler)

3. Casey Hayward (All Pro)

4. Desmond King (All Pro)

5. Adrian Phillips (All Pro)

Again, Derwin is a phenomenal talent, but how much easier must it be for him to do what he does when he has a pro bowl pass rusher, pro bowl linebacker 2 all pro cornerbacks and an all pro safety? 

The Chargers are able to maximize Derwin's talent and ability because they have top tier talent around him. The entire secondary are all pro players. The jets didnt even have a probowler on defense outside of Adams...let alone all pro players. 

Adams achieved his stats on one of the worst teams defenses in the league while the Chargers have a SB-type caliber defense. 

Compare that talent to what Jamal Adams is playing with. Derwin James is part of a great and talented defense. Jamal Adams carries that Jets defense. 

That's rebutting an arguement correctly..... good points. I still think Derwin Is better. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

That's rebutting an arguement correctly..... good points. I still think Derwin Is better. 

Derwin very well could be. He put in that work as a rookie. No matter what talent is around you, you have to be pretty good to do what he did. 

Im just stating the fact that Adams was the only elite talent on the team, not just the defense. 

To put up numbers that could even be comparable shows how much Adams balled out last year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Good point. I think that with more top talent on this defense it could free Adams up a bit more in coverage for example. Last year you could make the argument that Adams was the best linebacker-type player on the team given how great he was in the box. But now that Mosley is there, how much does that free up Adams to do more things in the passing game? 

Granted, Mosley is a ILB and Adams was playing on the edges, but just that level of talent alone has to be respected which takes away attention from Adams. Imagine if we had such a Linebacker AND QW becomes a dominant pass rusher? 

Adams ability would just become even more valuable because you can really get creative with what you want him to do and not have him constantly in the box having to help out a bunch of guys who cant do their job consistently. 

Folks fail to realize that Adams is used the way he is because he gets the job done. If we can get the front 7 to do their job then that will allow Adams to protect downfield more often. 

Right that's a big one. Adams is a guy who does what he has to do. What the responsibility of the play call requires. he was a one man show at times blowing up plays etc.  

If Q can end up being a true stud in the middle of the D and he and Leo can collapse the interior of the pocket that is going to change everything.  Adding a sideline to sideline LB like Mosely to Williamson and Jenkins has the potential to free Adams up to be even more disruptive than he has been. Polite is the wildcard, but again if Q matches his billing the edge becomes ripe for a guy with good bend. 

The biggest deal is having the aggressive yet sound schemer to get these players in the right positions to succeed. That was sorely missing for us with Rodgers. Having the "dawgs" Jamal was lobbying for to actually carry out the D play calls can be really exciting to watch. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

LMAO this thread

More of the mouth being great where the rest of the body is not, which is what the NY Jets have been most famous for over the last decade - talk, talk and, more talk.

You want to be the best safety in the league? STFU, go out and beat the crap out of people every week, and win some god damn football games.

This makes absolutely no sense at all, but you still have dopes giving it up votes. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

20190527_112202.thumb.jpg.2e3a28daf5dfb5970374039860db558a.jpg

3X the picks in half the time.  Almost as many sacks. FFs? LOL, if we wanted an OLB, should have drafted one. 

Derwin is a 6'2 DB that runs a 4.3. Jamal is good. Derwin is just.....better. it is what it is. 

OMG he got 3 picks, why isn't he in Canton yet . 

I haven't watched the film yet, but I don't need to tell if he isn't already the best Safety in the NFL today, he will be very soon. The only thing that separates him from being in an echelon all to his own is game changing plays.

Just like when Revis was hitting the stratosphere, there was a time when Brady went long to Moss in 2009 knowing that Revis was defending. When Revis intercepted that ball over Moss, that's what put Revis into a class all his own.

Adams needs to start making those game changing, career defining plays. Because the fact is, right now he's one of the very best safeties ARGUABLY in the league today. If he starts making those career defining plays the "ARGUABLY" will inevitably have to go away and he will officially enter a class of his own just like Revis was in for most of his career.

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

20190527_112202.thumb.jpg.2e3a28daf5dfb5970374039860db558a.jpg

3X the picks in half the time.  Almost as many sacks. FFs? LOL, if we wanted an OLB, should have drafted one. 

Derwin is a 6'2 DB that runs a 4.3. Jamal is good. Derwin is just.....better. it is what it is. 

Jamal also made the 2018 Pro Bowl, the 2017 PFWA All Rookie team and was 2018 Second Team All Pro.

Not sure why college Awards matter but Jamal won a bunch of All American and SEC awards  (which is top to bottom a better league than the ACC).

• Upvote 1

How many times must it be said? When your Safety is the best player on your team YOUR TEAM SUCKS. Hopefully that won't be the case this year and Adams will be ONE of the best players on this team. Big difference.

All I want Adams to do is keep his mouth shut, win some football games and play his ass off. That's how he will win my respect. Talking sh*t about how good you are on a 4-12 team is bullsh*t IMO. You're 4-12. You have nothing to talk sh*t about.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

How many times must it be said? When your Safety is the best player on your team YOUR TEAM SUCKS. Hopefully that won't be the case this year and Adams will be ONE of the best players on this team. Big difference.

All I want Adams to do is keep his mouth shut, win some football games and play his ass off. That's how he will win my respect. Talking sh*t about how good you are on a 4-12 team is bullsh*t IMO. You're 4-12. You have nothing to talk sh*t about.

Your first point is irrelevant, it’s not his fault he’s the best player on his team and you can’t blame 1 player out of 53 for a teams suck. 

The second point, I don’t think he’s the one doing talking about how good he is. That’s for others to say. 

Like DeShaun Watson. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/deshaun-watson-jets-jamal-adams-one-of-the-best-players-in-nfl

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Your first point is irrelevant, it’s not his fault he’s the best player on his team and you can’t blame 1 player out of 53 for a teams suck. 

The second point, I don’t think he’s the one doing talking about how good he is. That’s for others to say. 

Like DeShaun Watson. 

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/deshaun-watson-jets-jamal-adams-one-of-the-best-players-in-nfl

Thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What part of my post was "homer fan boy" to you? All I was doing was pointing out how stupid yours was.

I thought I was quoting someone else. You are not a homer fanboy.  My bad. 

Jamal is very good. Derwin will have a better individual career, imo. If its Lott vs Atwater, I'm good. LOL. (Adams is Atwater in that scenario, btw)

On an odd note, its weird that the Jets are where great safeties go to die. Lott, Atwater, Reed....

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jamal Adams was on a team of All Americans at LSU and was this exact same player. There is no better version of Jamal Adams.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams was on a team of All Americans at LSU and was this exact same player. There is no better version of Jamal Adams.

So we’ve seen the absolute best of Adams and he’ll never be better. 

Because that’s when most NFL players hit their peak. 

Year 2. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Peace Frog said:

So we’ve seen the absolute best of Adams and he’ll never be better. 

Because that’s when most NFL players hit their peak. 

Year 2. 

He can get better at what he already does, which is tackle running backs. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He can get better at what he already does, which is tackle running backs. 

Got it. He’s never doing to sack the QB, maybe grab an interception or 3, separate ball carrier from ball, shut down a big TE.  

Because that never happens years 3-10. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

Got it. He’s never doing to sack the QB, maybe grab an interception or 3, separate ball carrier from ball, shut down a big TE.  

Because that never happens years 3-10. 

You’re describing the skill set of literally every strong safety in football.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

No, but it’s not worth the sixth overall pick and it won’t be worth $14+ mil per in two years, either. 

Folks gotta let “the sixth pick” go. It’s done. It’s over. It’s spilled milk under a bridge.  Continuing to bitch about it is unseemly. At least for me it is. My GF continues to complain about stuff from years ago. I feel as if that’s an incredible waste of time and emotion. 

And we could all be dead in 2 years. 

Why continue to harp on what players are going to get paid in 2 years when the cap is going up geometrically every year and we’ll probably already have locked up Sam. 

If he’s All Pro the next 2 years and is a key piece in making us a top 5 defense? 

I’m finding a way to pay him. 

And if he’s not and we’re not, we don’t pay him. 

Wait, do we need to decide TODAY to pay him in 2 years? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Folks gotta let “the sixth pick” go. It’s done. It’s over. It’s spilled milk under a bridge.  Continuing to bitch about it is unseemly. At least for me it is. My GF continues to complain about stuff from years ago. I feel as if that’s an incredible waste of time and emotion. 

And we could all be dead in 2 years. 

Why continue to harp on what players are going to get paid in 2 years when the cap is going up geometrically every year and we’ll probably already have locked up Sam. 

If he’s All Pro the next 2 years and is a key piece in making us a top 5 defense? 

I’m finding a way to pay him. 

And if he’s not and we’re not, we don’t pay him. 

Wait, do we need to decide TODAY to pay him in 2 years? 

This post illustrates why arguing one way or another about Jamal’s value to the team is silly. The truth is that he’s a very good strong safety. That’s it. Hyperbolically calling him “the best safety in football” is as baseless as saying “Jamal Adams sucks.” 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This post illustrates why arguing one way or another about Jamal’s value to the team is silly. The truth is that he’s a very good strong safety. That’s it. Hyperbolically calling him “the best safety in football” is as baseless as saying “Jamal Adams sucks.” 

24 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So if we have one of the best strong safeties in the NFL that’s...a bad thing?

One of. 

Not “The”. 

That’s not my brand of hyperbole. 

But as long as we’re discussing diametrically opposed superlatives and perjoratives, you’d be making a baseless claim that he’s closer to “sucks” than “best”. 

He’s clearly one of the better strong safeties in the NFL and a FAR way from suck. 

But I'm just a dumb fan so what do I know. 

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

One of. 

Not “The”. 

That’s not my brand of hyperbole. 

But as long as we’re discussing diametrically opposed superlatives and perjoratives, you’d be making a baseless claim that he’s closer to “sucks” than “best”. 

He’s clearly one of the better strong safeties in the NFL and a FAR way from suck. 

But I'm just a dumb fan so what do I know. 

He calls himself “The President.” If we judge him against the standard he appears to set for himself, he sucks. 84 solos and one pick in garbage time isn’t elite. It’s Brian Washington.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He calls himself “The President.” If we judge him against the standard he appears to set for himself, he sucks. 84 solos and one pick in garbage time isn’t elite. It’s Brian Washington.

It’s a nickname. 

But yeah, he sucks. 

Geezuz. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

No one calls Jamal Adams “President” except for Jamal Adams. 

Again, it’s a nickname. 

He’s not calling himself the best safety in football. 

I don’t know, it’s just weird to me Jet fans dumping on one of our better players.

He’s not Buster Skrine or Wayne Hunter.

Whatever, yeah you’re right, he sucks. 

Other than the 20/20 hindsight experts squealing about Pat Mahomes and Watson there really is only 1 or maybe 2 better picks than Adams that were taken in the top 15.

If you held it all over again he'd go no worse than 5th.

I think the Watson love is overblown and maintain that for the next decade Adams/Darnold will be better than Watson/Nelson.

Mahomes was damn good but lets see if he can duplicate last years production without Ty Hill and Kareem Hunt.  I'm guessing he can't.