Jamal Adams "Arguably the best Safety in the League" Video Breakdown

23 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's clear that we need an appreciation/film breakdown thread for Jamal Adams because alot of Jets fans simply dont see what Adams provides to this team on the weekly basis and the fact that he's the best player on this team. 

The disrespect of this guy and what he brings to the table because of Macc's poor decision making is just insane. Before I seen folks knocking him as some sort of overrated or low impact guy <<<< @dbatesman , but now folks are taking shots at his all pro status. 

It's time for folks to let it go already with Watson and Mahomes and stop blaming this kid that has done nothing but become the best player on this team and the first all pro to be drafted in probably a decade+. 

We have our future offensive leader in Sam Darnold and we have our leader on defense in Adams. 

These videos are breakdowns of Adams performances against the Bills, Texans, Packers and Patriots. 

Enjoy one of just a couple of gems that we've drafted this entire decade.

Since he is the best “ safety “ and only halfway though his rookie deal. What do you think we could get for him in a trade ?  Maybe 2 top OL? One still on rookie deal? Or would teams devalue the box safety position, especially compared to how important OL is, and laugh at such an offer ? Your thoughts?‍♂️

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Maybe so, maybe not. I do remember Adams celebrating a 4th and 1 stop in the 4th qtr last year...........when they were down by 4 TD's. I think it was against the Pats but I can't be sure. That's what I'm talking about.

He plays with a lot of emotion.The fact that he was still going balls to the wall down by 4 tds is a good thing. He doesn't give up and plays each down the same. I get the whole not liking the celebrating thing, It used to drive me nuts when Santana Moss would catch a one yard out then get up ,spin the ball and pose. If every player played like Adams maybe they wouldn't have been down by 4 tds.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

By the same token, any safety, be it  Adams or someone not as good at the same position, doesn't really change things very much  either. Institutionally this franchise has overvalued defense generally and DBs especially forever. And been doing so during a time when the rules as enforced make stopping a decent passing attack very difficult. Such that the marginal utility of spending high draft picks on DBs makes no sense. 

Could say that just about any single defender hardly move the bar.  Mack played on a lousy Oak. D.  Can find plenty of examples.  But none compare to the nonsense about box safeties who talk.  And aren't named Mahomes.  Of course realizing this makes us all fanboys.  Ooooo, insulting. 

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Regardless of how good Adams is he will always be the pick that cost the NYJ Patrick Mahommes and Macc should have a scarlet "L" tattooed on his forehead for it.

Gotta love the hindsight scouts . I’m sure u where  banging the table for Mahomes during the draft lol 

Macc gets L for a lot things but it won’t be for drafting a All Pro . 

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

Gotta love the hindsight scouts . I’m sure u where  banging the table for Mahomes during the draft lol 

It’s like the 3 million folks telling tales about Woodstock who never went. 

Its funny that everyone is now all about Mahomes but when he was coming out folks were turned off by his air raid offense and poor mechanics and were actually higher on Watson. 

Are people as high on Watson now?

Or is it all about Mahomes because of what he did year 2?

Weird, not as many folks banging the Watson table in restrospect. 

I’m not denying some folks wanted Mahomes but it’s almost unanimous how many of  these dudes are claiming NOW they wanted him then. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Could say that just about any single defender hardly move the bar.  Mack played on a lousy Oak. D.  Can find plenty of examples.  But none compare to the nonsense about box safeties who talk.  And aren't named Mahomes.  Of course realizing this makes us all fanboys.  Ooooo, insulting. 

But Mack did move the bar.  The Oakland defense was lower third in 2017, and went to worst in points and bottom 6 in yards in 2018 without Mack.  Fangio's D in Chicago was 9/10 in 2017 and 1/3 in 2018 with Mack.  Mack did move the bar.  The Jets D was 28/11 in 2016, then 22/25 with Adams in 2017 and 29/25 in 2018 with Adams playing at a pro bowl level in 2018.  Did he really make a difference?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Its funny that everyone is now all about Mahomes but when he was coming out folks were turned off by his air raid offense and poor mechanics and were actually higher on Watson. 

I’m not denying some folks wanted Mahomes but it’s almost unanimous how many of  these dudes are claiming NOW they wanted him then. 

There were at least 3 or 4 guys banging the table for Mahomes.  A few were saying to trade back and take him, but the threads are there.  I'm not doing your research, but it is there for posterity.  These are not general managers with tons of scouts, these are posters watching games and they saw it.  Watson was the pick most expected and I think most of us would have been satisfied.  The idea that we tanked the season for Darnold is nice, but we still had to trade up, didn't get anything extra for #6 overall in 2017 when 2 teams traded up for QBs.  If we did that just to prove that Hackenberg was an abomination, so much the worse.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Honestly only person I remember banging the table for him from the start is @RJIII .. rest of dudes definitely playing hindsight scouts 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I wanted Watson but was intrigued by Mahomes and certainly would have taken him over a SS.  And if Mac properly passed on Adams for Watson as great as Adams is, the Jets offense could look like: Deshaun Watson, Dalvin Cook, Quentin Nelson, Braden Smith, Dallas Goedert and Deebo Samuel which would be awesome.  I'd like that better than what we have but I love me some Sammy boy, so I'm not complaining.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Regardless of how good Adams is he will always be the pick that cost the NYJ Patrick Mahommes and Macc should have a scarlet "L" tattooed on his forehead for it.

I feel the same way. Unlike some on here, I won't desperately try to make a case that Jamal Adams is a bad player. That simply is not true. He's a very good player.

That said, I will forever stand by my comments at the time he was drafted. He's a good player, but it was still a bad pick for the Jets. When you're in desperate need of a QB, you can't pass on two good QB prospects for a safety. You just can't.  And taking Darnold a year later doesn't justify anything.

At the time it was the wrong decision.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

29 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Full disclosure:

I readily admit to having no effin idea who Mahommes was before or right after that draft.

I am a fan. I am not a highly paid GM.

Macc the pro GM  knew the team was desperate for a FQB and took not one but 2 safeties.

Its not our hindsight, its his track record and of course he deserves to be criticized for it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

The Mahomes crowd reminds me of the 5 million people now claiming they were at Woodstock when it was really between 400,000 and 500,000. 

It’s amazing that there are now thousands of Jet fans who have never once watched a college football game claiming “we shoulda taken dat guy, he’s really good”. 

The guy who was paid handsomely to watch college football games has lost his job for failing to pick good football players.  And on the night of the draft, there were plenty of people here calling for Watson or Mahomes at 6. 

I wanted Watson or Mike Williams at the time.  I didn't have an opinion on Mahomes. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If the choice was Watson vs Adams, even with the benefit of hindsight, Watson was still the correct pick. 

An All-Pro Safety is still just that:  A Safety.  You can find really good safeties in the middle rounds.  In that same 2017 draft, Eddie Jackson (8 career INTs) was taken in the 4th round.  You simply don't get many opportunities to get a young franchise QB on a cheap rookie deal. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, Peace Frog said:

Jet fans dumping on Jamal Adams. 

Cant make sh*t this up. 

Jamal at pick 20 is a steal. At 6 ahead of legit QB is....not a steal. A very good player, but a luxury pick at a time the Jets had no room for luxury. Not Jamals fault, Macs fault. Same with Leo. 

It is what it is. Hope he winds up a HOF'er with multiple (Jets) Superbowls. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I feel the same way. Unlike some on here, I won't desperately try to make a case that Jamal Adams is a bad player. That simply is not true. He's a very good player.

That said, I will forever stand by my comments at the time he was drafted. He's a good player, but it was still a bad pick for the Jets. When you're in desperate need of a QB, you can't pass on two good QB prospects for a safety. You just can't.  And taking Darnold a year later doesn't justify anything.

At the time it was the wrong decision.

Yeah, because, as much as we all like Darnold, we could have Patrick Mahommes/Deshaun Watson, 2018 1, 2018 2a, 2018 2b, and 2019 2 vs. Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams.

Fact is, lets assume the premise of this thread.  No, lets take it even further.  Jamal Adams is the best safety of everdom!  The best safety of everdom isn't generating a meaningful amount of turnovers, which wins games in the NFL, and the best safety in everdom isn't helping his team out of the basement of NFL ranked defenses.  So, either he's not actually the best safety of everdom, or being the best safety of everdom does very little to move the needle towards wins.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the choice was Watson vs Adams, even with the benefit of hindsight, Watson was still the correct pick. 

An All-Pro Safety is still just that:  A Safety.  You can find really good safeties in the middle rounds.  In that same 2017 draft, Eddie Jackson (8 career INTs) was taken in the 4th round You simply don't get many opportunities to get a young franchise QB on a cheap rookie deal. 

Is Jamal Adams the best safety of his draft is actually a more interesting conversation.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The guy who was paid handsomely to watch college football games has lost his job for failing to pick good football players.  And on the night of the draft, there were plenty of people here calling for Watson or Mahomes at 6. 

I wanted Watson or Mike Williams at the time.  I didn't have an opinion on Mahomes. 

I wanted Mahomes in a big way. @Lupz27, who to his credit was talking up Mahomes long before anyone else, got me curious. I checked out every piece of game footage that I could find on him. Despite many critics saying he was a product of the Texas Tech system that is notorious for getting big stats out of mediocre players, it was very obvious to me that Mahomes was not your typical air raid QB. His elusiveness and arm talent were very apparent.  To me he was the love child of Brett Favre and Fran Tarkenton.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, because, as much as we all like Darnold, we could have Patrick Mahommes/Deshaun Watson, 2018 1, 2018 2a, 2018 2b, and 2019 2 vs. Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams.

Fact is, lets assume the premise of this thread.  No, lets take it even further.  Jamal Adams is the best safety of everdom!  The best safety of everdom isn't generating a meaningful amount of turnovers, which wins games in the NFL, and the best safety in everdom isn't helping his team out of the basement of NFL ranked defenses.  So, either he's not actually the best safety of everdom, or being the best safety of everdom does very little to move the needle towards wins.

I said back then that Jamal could be Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and Sean Taylor rolled into one (he isn't), and it would still be a bad pick. 

The NFL is a QB driven league and at the time we had Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg. In that situation you don't take a safety with the #6 pick with two good QB prospects staring you in the face.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I said back then that Jamal could be Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, and Sean Taylor rolled into one (he isn't), and it would still be a bad pick. 

The NFL is a QB driven league and at the time we had Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg. In that situation you don't take a safety with the #6 pick with two good QB prospects staring you in the face.

If he turned into one of those types of players, it's excusable, I suppose.  Because those players change the game dramatically.  But, Jamal Adams is not anything more than someone who's good at what he does.  And what he does, simply isn't important enough to pass on a QB for.  And frankly, what he does probably isn't good enough for a 2nd contract.  Any good team lets a Jamal Adams type player walk, allowing some slapdick team to pay him, because the aforementioned good team has already drafted another quality SS in the mid-rounds of the draft as his replacement.  Lets hope the Jets stop being a slapdick team.

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

If he turned into one of those types of players, it's excusable, I suppose.  Because those players change the game dramatically.  But, Jamal Adams is not anything more than someone who's good at what he does.  And what he does, simply isn't important enough to pass on a QB for.  And frankly, what he does probably isn't good enough for a 2nd contract.  Any good team lets a Jamal Adams type player walk, allowing some slapdick team to pay him, because the aforementioned good team has already drafted another quality SS in the mid-rounds of the draft as his replacement.  Lets hope the Jets stop being a slapdick team.

I actually disagree with the bolded part. The league is very different from the NFL that you and I grew up watching. Everything is about the offense these days. 

When you take that into account and then look at the players we've selected in the first round for the last 10 years, it's no mystery why we've been a bad team for most of that time span.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Give him a break...he was still evaluating Hackenberg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s pathetic. 

It's crazy.  Certain topics can really throw this place into a tizzy!  Take the following 3 statements....

• Jamal Adams is great....but not worth the #6 pick
  • Le'Veon Bell is great.....but not worth $12M per year
  • Sam Darnold is great....but was taken #3 overall and was the 31st rated QB in the NFL last year

Certain people can seem to hate on the first two, the third gets universally loved.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually no; any defender who consistently generates a rush to force QBs to throw early and occasionally sacks the QB does in fact move the needle. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

There were at least 3 or 4 guys banging the table for Mahomes.  A few were saying to trade back and take him, but the threads are there.  I'm not doing your research, but it is there for posterity.  These are not general managers with tons of scouts, these are posters watching games and they saw it.  Watson was the pick most expected and I think most of us would have been satisfied.  The idea that we tanked the season for Darnold is nice, but we still had to trade up, didn't get anything extra for #6 overall in 2017 when 2 teams traded up for QBs.  If we did that just to prove that Hackenberg was an abomination, so much the worse.

Admit I was much more about Watson than Mahomes. But either would have made more sense. Again, Adams is good at what he does, but you can find servicable safeties in the later rounds and in March. QBs, not the case.