Jamal Adams "Arguably the best Safety in the League" Video Breakdown

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

We’re really, really close to the moment when @joewilly12 posts some questionable pictures of Kerry Rhodes that he finds on his daily search through the dark web’s BDSM blogs. 

Not happening dude are you getting sweaty again thinking about Kerry Rhodes.

Your mind is a wasteland do you sniff glue all day. 

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

What does that mean, exactly?

Is conversation about anything in the past now disallowed, or is it that only positive.

I didnt say that it was now disallowed. It's been allowed and will continue to be allowed, but what is also allowed is the the option to tell people get over the fact that a GM who isnt even the GM anymore made a bad pick in comparison to who was available, but accept the fact that the person picked is very good at his position.

Telling you to "get over it" is equally as allowed.

8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

remember when you spent like five years filling your diaper because we didn’t draft Alshon Jeffery

Yes. I remember the 4 years of folks telling me to get over it. 

I also remember those folks who 8 years ago called him a fat and slow WR and would be a bad draft pick.

We all got over it though, which is the point im presenting with Adams. 

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Adams is a very good Safety.  Maybe among the best in the NFL.  I think that's clear by now.

With that said, he was, and always will be, the wrong pick at the wrong time for this franchise in the moment when we selected him.  You may be happy with the way subsequent events worked out, but that doesn't retroactively justify the pick in that moment. 

And as good as Adams may be, I don't believe me moves the needle materially on the overall productivity of the NY Jets defense to-date.  He is a nice to have, not a must have.  We were ranked 25th and 25th in Defense the two years he's been here.  Sub someone else for Adams and his one career INT, and what, we're 27th both years?  So what. 

Complete and utter nonsense. The justification of taking him at 6 was:

1) It was tremendous value. Nobody saw Adams slipping to 6.

2) Adams was the BPA. He was the best player at that pick. Which the practice of taking the BPA is very sound approach. It made a terrible GM like Mac last 4 years in a job where he was very clearly in over his head.

3) He's also made the Jets defense much better. The fact is, Bowles/Rogers were terrible at coaching the defense. Hence the reason they slipped from top 10 to 25th in the league. It would have been much worse if Adams hadn't fallen in Mac's lap.

The Jamal Adams pick was very much justified and a truly great pick.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

3) He's also made the Jets defense much better. The fact is, Bowles/Rogers were terrible at coaching the defense. Hence the reason they slipped from top 10 to 25th in the league. It would have been much worse if Adams hadn't fallen in Mac's lap

E7CADEE7-D3F1-47C1-B28D-C07E077A38F3.jpeg

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Why do people think Pat Mahomes would be Pat Mahomes on the Jets. 

I’m so confused. 

I’d much rather have Darnold AND Adams. 

Andy Reid tossed away Alex Smith after he had a career year to put Mahomes under center.  Do you really think he's a System QB? 

Watson/Mahomes + three 2nd rounders + whoever we would have taken in Darnold's place > Darnold and Adams.  And I'm a big fan of Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

2) Adams was the BPA. He was the best player at that pick. Which the practice of taking the BPA is very sound approach. It made a terrible GM like Mac last 4 years in a job where he was very clearly in over his head.

3) He's also made the Jets defense much better. The fact is, Bowles/Rogers were terrible at coaching the defense. Hence the reason they slipped from top 10 to 25th in the league. It would have been much worse if Adams hadn't fallen in Mac's lap.

So because of Adams we went 9-23 instead of 7-25.  Totally worth it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Andy Reid tossed away Alex Smith after he had a career year to put Mahomes under center.  Do you really think he's a System QB? 

Watson/Mahomes + three 2nd rounders + whoever we would have taken in Darnold's place > Darnold and Adams.  And I'm a big fan of Darnold. 

Andy Reid tossed Alex Smith because Pat Mahomes was ready to go....because of Andy Reid lol. 

Now I’d be inclined to agree if Andy Reid was the Jets coach but he’s not. Bowles and Pat Mahomes does nothing for us. The roster Maccagnan built up until that year (2017?) was not going to do what Kelce, Hill and Hunt have done for Mahomes. They are some of the best players in the league. Who would Pat be throwing to? Neal Sterling? Bilal Powell?

Pat Mahomes doesn’t have to be a system QB for him to do significantly worse in NY had that been the situation, okay? We’re talking about a guy who was able to sit and learn from an efficient QB and one of the best offensive minds/QB gurus around. He doesn’t get that opportunity with the Jets and he wouldn’t be as good.

I don’t like Watson either. He’s very shaky in the pocket. He tucks and runs too often. He throws behind the 1st down marker on 3rd down way too often. He gets scramble brained when the pressure comes but he is a tremendous arm talent and a good leader. Idk I think you guys overrate this 2017 QB class WAAAY too much.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Andy Reid tossed Alex Smith because Pat Mahomes was ready to go....because of Andy Reid lol. 

Now I’d be inclined to agree if Andy Reid was the Jets coach but he’s not. Bowles and Pat Mahomes does nothing for us. The roster Maccagnan built up until that year (2017?) was not going to do what Kelce, Hill and Hunt have done for Mahomes. They are some of the best players in the league. Who would Pat be throwing to? Neal Sterling? Bilal Powell?

Pat Mahomes doesn’t have to be a system QB for him to do significantly worse in NY had that been the situation, okay? We’re talking about a guy who was able to sit and learn from an efficient QB and one of the best offensive minds/QB gurus around. He doesn’t get that opportunity with the Jets and he wouldn’t be as good. 

Obviously he wouldn't be as good.  My point is even Andy Reid was never as excited about a QB prospect as he was for Mahomes.  He's made bad QB's looks good.  Mahomes is a very good QB who he made look amazing.

He'd still be a very good QB here.  His skillset is very hard to find.  We'll see that next season when he no longer has Tyreke Hill or Kareem Hunt yet still has an excellent season. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously he wouldn't be as good.  My point is even Andy Reid was never as excited about a QB prospect as he was for Mahomes.  He's made bad QB's looks good.  Mahomes is a very good QB who he made look amazing.

He'd still be a very good QB here.  His skillset is very hard to find.  We'll see that next season when he no longer has Tyreke Hill or Kareem Hunt yet still has an excellent season. 

I’m sure he’ll excel because he’s has two years in the league(one year playing) this is cake walk for him now and he’s settled in and comfortable in the NFL. I just firmly believe that his growth and production, from the start, would be about halved if he was a Jet. He was regarded as a prospect who was very raw and needed time to learn NFL defenses. I feel like Andy Reid got that into his head, idk if he would of figured it out so quickly in NY. He would of probably been thrown out there and ruined if I had to guess.

i never wanted a QB from 2017 bc of that fact. I didn’t trust our team and front office to develop a guy without ruining him off the bat

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m sure he’ll excel because he’s has two years in the league(one year playing) this is cake walk for him now and he’s settled in and comfortable in the NFL. I just firmly believe that his growth and production, from the start, would be about halved if he was a Jet. He was regarded as a prospect who was very raw and needed time to learn NFL defenses. I feel like Andy Reid got that into his head, idk if he would of figured it out so quickly in NY. He would of probably been thrown out there and ruined if I had to guess.

i never wanted a QB from 2017 bc of that fact. I didn’t trust our team and front office to develop a guy without ruining him off the bat

So what changed between '17 and '18? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Why do people think Pat Mahomes would be Pat Mahomes on the Jets. 

I’m so confused. 

I’d much rather have Darnold AND Adams.

Mahomes is the best player in the league and barring injury will be a first ballot HOF player. 

30 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t like Watson either. He’s very shaky in the pocket. He tucks and runs too often. He throws behind the 1st down marker on 3rd down way too often. He gets scramble brained when the pressure comes but he is a tremendous arm talent and a good leader. Idk I think you guys overrate this 2017 QB class WAAAY too much.

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Great posts.

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Another thing to add is that given the history of Mac's picks, what makes you believe that he would have done anything with the three 2nd round picks?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mahomes is the best player in the league and barring injury will be a first ballot HOF player. 

Only for the Chiefs. In the multiverse where the Jets draft him, he’s out of the league in three years. Also people wear shoes on their hands and hamburgers eat people

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

IMO a Safety is never, ever, "tremendous value" at pick #6 when you're as talent deficient at legitimate impact positions, and especially on offensive, as we were at the time.  I'd also say Safety is simply not an impact enough position to be BAP at #6 given the other needs the Jets had at that time.  The fact we doubled down and drafted another Safety in the next round, who has barely played, just makes it worse tbqh.  Competent enough Safeties can and are found in later rounds and in FA.  

I'd go further, and tell you I think BAP is utterly stupid.  It's a horrible way to run a draft, as evidenced by our now fired GM, who drafted nothing but BAP, was roundly praised here for all his "steal" and "tremendous value" and "best player in the draft" picks, and produced a horrible broken losing team year after year.  BAP is one factor of many, it's not, and should not, be the be all end all.

The Safety in question has played well, but also only has all of 1 INT over two full years, and lead a bottom 5 defense both years.

And lets be clear, he did not, in fact, improve the Jets Defense, which would be asking alot from a Safety in the first place given it's limited impact on the unit as a whole.  We were top 12 defense the year before his selection, and we've been bottom 5 both years since his selection.  Now I clearly don't think that's his fault per se, as I've said he's a very good Safety, for what that is worth, and should thrive under our new D-Co.  But it's simply counterfactual to claim he improved the defense as a unit.  Despite his good play, the defense was much, much worse.

I've said repeatedly that Adams is a very good Safety, and he is, his limited turnovers non-withstanding.  But that's not good enough for some here it seems, he has to be beloved, the greatest, the perfect pick, with no room for any criticism even of how and when he was picked by our now fired GM.  It's ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Only for the Chiefs. In the multiverse where the Jets draft him, he’s out of the league in three years. Also people wear shoes on their hands and hamburgers eat people

Darnold had a pretty nice rookie year and is the chosen one. Mahomes however wouldnt be Mahomes.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not that I disagree with your point, Mahomes wouldnt be as good here because you're right he wouldnt be as good here but it's still a stupid point.  He's the most talented QB in the league, Reid didnt teach him that...that stuffs natural.  You take that whenever you can, damn the situation.  

I'm trying to figure out why you didnt want a QB in 17 but you did in 18, what's the difference? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Are you intending the bolded part to be sarcastic? Mahomes would have thrown for 5k yards & 50 tds on the 2018 Jets?

Probably not, no. But there'd be no doubt whatsoever we'd be fine at QB for the next 10 years or so. Darnold still has a lot to prove. Mahomes would be great in any situation.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Another thing to add is that given the history of Mac's picks, what makes you believe that he would have done anything with the three 2nd round picks? 

Why is that an excuse to simply throw them away?  Whether the GM sucks or not, draft capital is the most valuable chip you can hold in this league.  Obviously Macc deserved to get fired long before the 2018 draft.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I truthfully felt like the 2018 QB class was a lot more polished and we had a better shot @ hitting on a QB that was far enough down the road mentally to overshadow our coaching staff’s cluelessness.

Sam Darnold was the youngest week 1 starter in the history of the NFL and had turnover problems in college but in your eyes, he was going to overcome the Jets coaching staffs shortcoming?  Compared to a player who played in back to back National Championship games, engineered a game winning drive vs. what was considered the best college D ever, graduated early, was an admired leader in the community and school, and was the 2nd most efficient passer in ACC history wasnt far enough down the road mentally?

lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sam Darnold was the youngest week 1 starter in the history of the NFL and had turnover problems in college but in your eyes, he was going to overcome the Jets coaching staffs shortcoming?  Compared to a player who played in back to back National Championship games, engineered a game winning drive vs. what was considered the best college D ever, graduated early, was an admired leader in the community and school, and was the 2nd most efficient passer in ACC history wasnt far enough down the road mentally?

lol

If that's really what PK thinks, we're getting dangerously close to Darnold being the "lunch pail" type and Watson/Mahomes being "athletes".  I, for one, am excited to see his answer. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently Darnold is mentally tough enough to overcome bad coaching/front office, but Mahomes isn't. 

Like my example above, let's remove Mahomes from the equation.  Patriot Killer viewed true freshman, Sam Darnold with 10 games of starting experience while he was still in college as mentally stronger and further along than Deshaun Watson who just won a National Championship and was entering the draft as a Junior with 3 years of starting experience. 

• Upvote 1

Darnold is fine.  We're all happy to have him going forward.

Mahomes is better, materially so far.  He could have been had at #6.

Instead of Adams and Darnold, we could have Mahomes, whomever in the 1st in 2018 (or better, a trade down should have been easy with QB's still on the board), and all three of our traded away 2nd round picks.

There is literally no debate that the second option is likely the better option.

Admitting that doesn't mean you hate Darnold, or hate Adams, or think they both suck. As they say, it's "just business", it's not personal.

Imagine if the Giants hadn't been stupid, and had taken Darnold.  Would Jets Fans here today be arguing that Adams + Rosen > Mahomes + 2018 1st + 3x 2rd Round Picks?  If so....wow.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol

So did you leave out the nationally publicized polish of Josh Rosen and the experience and production of Baker Mayfield on purpose or..?

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not that I disagree with your point, Mahomes wouldnt be as good here because you're right he wouldnt be as good here but it's still a stupid point.  He's the most talented QB in the league, Reid didnt teach him that...that stuffs natural.  You take that whenever you can, damn the situation.  

I'm trying to figure out why you didnt want a QB in 17 but you did in 18, what's the difference? 

Reid taught him how to convert his natural talents into efficiency on the NFL Level. Please stop acting like Pat Mahomes was ready to dissect NFL defenses in year 1.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Apparently Darnold is mentally tough enough to overcome bad coaching/front office, but Mahomes isn't. 

See, you make yourself look foolish bc that’s not even what I meant when I said “mentally”. I meant the QB Class of 2018 seemed more polished and ready to go. Baker was a Senior with tons of experience and production. People drooled over Rosen’s mechanics, mind and pro system experience.