Douchbag Jason Laconfora admits actively tring to convince GM candiates not to interview with the Jets

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-search-hiring-process-could-be-a-doozy-even-though-they-believe-to-have-candidate-in-sights/

Two of the calls I received, out of the blue, were almost identical. I was asked virtually the same questions by individuals who are associates of men the Jets want to speak with. This was their inquiry: We hear this is Joe Douglas' job if he wants it and this has already been in the works for months. We're not sure it's even worth it for (name of candidate redacted to protect the innocent) to take the interview when they send over the slip (asking permission to interview him). What do you hear? What would you do?

My response basically went like this: Three GMs I know well who don't have a history of spreading false info were convinced before the draft that Douglas was going to take over the Jets after the draft. If you are owner of a team that has had a hard time getting qualified candidates to talk to you in the past, you don't fire your GM, randomly, in the middle of May and anoint a head coach who has been on the job about four months interim GM unless you have a pretty good idea of who the next guy is. Even Woody and Chris Johnson couldn't be naïve enough to do otherwise, right? Yes, I hear the same as you, that Douglas has what has the makings of a sharp-looking staff ready to go, and his pre-existing relationship would seem to be a trump card here. Perhaps things fall apart with him, and your guy could get the offer … But would you really want to take it under these terms, working for these owners, in this scenario with the last GM just run out of the building weeks after being allowed to run the draft?

They then pretty much said the following: Yeah, that's what I thought you would say. I agree with you. I'm not sure it makes sense to do it. Let's catch up after the holiday to compare notes.

This is the Jets reality right now.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-gm-search-hiring-process-could-be-a-doozy-even-though-they-believe-to-have-candidate-in-sights/

Two of the calls I received, out of the blue, were almost identical. I was asked virtually the same questions by individuals who are associates of men the Jets want to speak with. This was their inquiry: We hear this is Joe Douglas' job if he wants it and this has already been in the works for months. We're not sure it's even worth it for (name of candidate redacted to protect the innocent) to take the interview when they send over the slip (asking permission to interview him). What do you hear? What would you do?

My response basically went like this: Three GMs I know well who don't have a history of spreading false info were convinced before the draft that Douglas was going to take over the Jets after the draft. If you are owner of a team that has had a hard time getting qualified candidates to talk to you in the past, you don't fire your GM, randomly, in the middle of May and anoint a head coach who has been on the job about four months interim GM unless you have a pretty good idea of who the next guy is. Even Woody and Chris Johnson couldn't be naïve enough to do otherwise, right? Yes, I hear the same as you, that Douglas has what has the makings of a sharp-looking staff ready to go, and his pre-existing relationship would seem to be a trump card here. Perhaps things fall apart with him, and your guy could get the offer … But would you really want to take it under these terms, working for these owners, in this scenario with the last GM just run out of the building weeks after being allowed to run the draft?

They then pretty much said the following: Yeah, that's what I thought you would say. I agree with you. I'm not sure it makes sense to do it. Let's catch up after the holiday to compare notes.

He should actually have his name legally changed to that...totally fits.

I used to read his tweets for a laugh.  The guy is probably still living out the 2016 Election.  More tweets on politics than sports, which is supposed to be his job.

You know what?  Whoever is offered this job and if they don’t take it....F them, they’re missing out. The Jets are an up and coming team with a 21 year old Franchise QB who finished his Rookie season strong, being the highest rated passer over the final quarter of the season, and doing it practically all by himself, after the “light went on” for him.

Also, almost statistically speaking, I barely care who the next GM is, why?  There is absolutely. No way it could get any worse over a 6 year period than with Idzik and Maccagnan, all the next guy has to do is know what an Oline is, maybe try to upgrade some of the skill positions, guaranteed Gase will lead him in the right direction...and Darnold, who is ready to do great things NOW, will be that much better going forward. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well anyone that refuses to interview based on this is a moron anyway.

Having said that the reasons for being way of the Jets are pretty well correct.

the biggest dumb thing lacanfora said in that piece?

"Even Woody and Chris Johnson couldn't be naïve enough to do otherwise, right? "

This part "Perhaps things fall apart with him, and your guy could get the offer … But would you really want to take it under these terms, working for these owners, in this scenario with the last GM just run out of the building weeks after being allowed to run the draft?" you fine with him telling this to prospective GM candidates? Are you even a Jets fan?

Well he is basically cutting his own throat when it comes to any cooperation with the Jets front office now and in the future isn't he? Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe his ego is so large that he thinks it doesn't matter? Who knows?

Personally and based on the past doings of the Johnsons I don't think they are smart enough to do something like this. The intriguing thing is that they have this so-called plan at all. Could they be finally getting their proverbial sh*t together? Could this team be finally turning the corner towards something like stability? Or is it still going to be the same sh*t sandwich that we all take a bite of EVERY year?

37 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

My response basically went like this: Three GMs I know well who don't have a history of spreading false info were convinced before the draft that Douglas was going to take over the Jets after the draft. If you are owner of a team that has had a hard time getting qualified candidates to talk to you in the past, you don't fire your GM, randomly, in the middle of May and anoint a head coach who has been on the job about four months interim GM unless you have a pretty good idea of who the next guy is. Even Woody and Chris Johnson couldn't be naïve enough to do otherwise, right? Yes, I hear the same as you, that Douglas has what has the makings of a sharp-looking staff ready to go, and his pre-existing relationship would seem to be a trump card here. Perhaps things fall apart with him, and your guy could get the offer … But would you really want to take it under these terms, working for these owners, in this scenario with the last GM just run out of the building weeks after being allowed to ruin the draft?

Fixed. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I haven’t been on a job interview since I was 24. Probably a good thing. Most tell me they are not catered. 

But today you can have grubhub deliver directly to your interview impressing the interviewer. :D

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So he's telling the other GM(by proxy) don't interview because it's already Douglas's job and at best you'll be 2nd choice.  And that upsets the OP?  

2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

"Douchbag Jason Laconfora admits actively tring to convince GM candiates not to interview with the Jets"

really??? I read Nothing wrong with what LaConfora reported... sometimes reality & facts seem to get in some peoples way. 

Some interesting people who occupy this message board. Any number of things can happen with Douglas just because the perspective from outsiders is that he is the favorite doesn't guarantee he will be the pick. How can you can read what Laconfora is telling GM candidates and not have an visceral FU reaction? Instead you defend him and see nothing wrong with it? He could say he hears Douglas is the favorite but its still worth it to interview with them that is reality and facts.

• Upvote 1

The Jets HC and GM jobs have been toxic, career-killing pissholes forever. Every so often, a Type-A will come along and try to fix it, but then they got bogged down by the dipsh*t owner and ridiculously bitter media coverage and give up on the job altogether. Gase is a Type A who has a chance to fix it if Chris Johnson and Woody can stay out of the way. LaCanfora isn’t wrong here—it’s a dead end job—and their best course is to let someone like Gase do it his own way 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

45 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

This part "Perhaps things fall apart with him, and your guy could get the offer … But would you really want to take it under these terms, working for these owners, in this scenario with the last GM just run out of the building weeks after being allowed to run the draft?" you fine with him telling this to prospective GM candidates? Are you even a Jets fan?

The truth hurts doesn't it.  And if you think this guy is the only person these prospects you talk to are naive. 

And hey don;t blame me, blame the guys asking the questions and the one giving the answers. 

Our owners are dumb, the timing of the firing was dumb. 

Pig....lipstick....here you go.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets HC and GM jobs have been toxic, career-killing pissholes forever. Every so often, a Type-A will come along and try to fix it, but then they got bogged down by the dipsh*t owner and ridiculously bitter media coverage and give up on the job altogether. Gase is a Type A who has a chance to fix it if Chris Johnson and Woody can stay out of the way. LaCanfora isn’t wrong here—it’s a dead end job—and their best course is to let someone like Gase do it his own way 

True. But there aren't too many dead-end jobs that pay $1-3m per year, where on your next interview you can always say "yea, the results weren't what I would have liked, but it was with the Jets..." 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This guy should keep his opinions to himself.  He is paid to report.  And to do it in an unbiased way.  Saying Gase was "anointed" hardly sounds unbiased.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly.  Get a guy he can get along with.  Bringing in an adversary will just result in Water Treading Time once again.  You just have to pick a simpatico guy who will argue for his points now and then

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

So who from the Jets fits that . Its not Rex , him and Tanny screwed themselves by letting perhaps the best Oline in football disband.  Certainly not Parcells - he was always bailing when the bills came due - despite the narrative otherwise , that's what white knights do they ride into can't lose situations and when they bail no one cares because things were so much better - for a period of time albeit. 

The rest of the HC's - Herm, Mangini, Bowles really had no business being HC's . So you can say ownership didn't hire the right people but you can't say the coaches hired were ruined by ownership. 

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well he is basically cutting his own throat when it comes to any cooperation with the Jets front office now and in the future isn't he? Maybe he doesn't care. Maybe his ego is so large that he thinks it doesn't matter? Who knows?

Personally and based on the past doings of the Johnsons I don't think they are smart enough to do something like this. The intriguing thing is that they have this so-called plan at all. Could they be finally getting their proverbial sh*t together? Could this team be finally turning the corner towards something like stability? Or is it still going to be the same sh*t sandwich that we all take a bite of EVERY year?

LaCanfora basically recommends the Fetal Position Approach when it comes to job search applicants and their interviews.  What a wuss

• Haha 1

I mean he says it like it’s a huge toxic situation firing after the draft and then goes on to state several other teams doing it in the past including the Chiefs. 

So let’s not make this out to be like it’s something unheard of. Theres a right situation for everybody. And if they’re good enough, they’ll succeed. 

You telling me the Browns ownership was perfect in the past dealing with HCs and GMs? They seem OK now. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It works on the other side of Metlife too. If Coughlin wasn’t such a tough SOB, the media mob would have run him out too. 

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I had to take him off my Twitter feed when he went political after elections. That’s not why I followed him. Imagine Schefter spewing political opinions all over after elections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except it’s not Schefter so it’s that much worse 

• Sympathy 1