Douchbag Jason Laconfora admits actively tring to convince GM candiates not to interview with the Jets

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets HC and GM jobs have been toxic, career-killing pissholes forever. Every so often, a Type-A will come along and try to fix it, but then they got bogged down by the dipsh*t owner and ridiculously bitter media coverage and give up on the job altogether. Gase is a Type A who has a chance to fix it if Chris Johnson and Woody can stay out of the way. LaCanfora isn’t wrong here—it’s a dead end job—and their best course is to let someone like Gase do it his own way 

It's a dead end job for people who can't fix it IMHO. We were a complete disaster in 95-96 and type A Parcells fixed it and he had the NY media wrapped around his finger due to his years of experience in NY. After Parcells it was a slow decent back to dysfunction and I think the Only guy that might have fixed it again was Mangini but he was sent walking for whatever reason. After that we had Rex who worked well with Mangini's personnel but they started to age and Rex went in the toilet with the Idzik debacle. Then Macc and Bowles sent us into the abyss until they drafted Darnold which gave us hope. 

My point is, you can claim this is a dead end job and I can say if these guys did their job and built a contender the job is no longer that dead end and they become the coach and GM that finally got the Jets on track like Parcells did in 97 . If you suck as a HC and GM like Bowles and Macc then yeah its a dead end

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets HC and GM jobs have been toxic, career-killing pissholes forever. Every so often, a Type-A will come along and try to fix it, but then they got bogged down by the dipsh*t owner and ridiculously bitter media coverage and give up on the job altogether. Gase is a Type A who has a chance to fix it if Chris Johnson and Woody can stay out of the way. LaCanfora isn’t wrong here—it’s a dead end job—and their best course is to let someone like Gase do it his own way 

The careers were killed by their own incompetence, not for having worked for the Jets. Herm and Rex weren’t good coaches in their next jobs either, despite being hired right away. Idzik and Mac probably should never have been gms and won’t be again. They were bad hires and that’s on the Jets but doing lousy jobs was on them. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, docdhc said:

The careers were killed by their own incompetence, not for having worked for the Jets. Herm and Rex weren’t good coaches in their next jobs either, despite being hired right away. Idzik and Mac probably should never have been gms and won’t be again. They were bad hires and that’s on the Jets but doing lousy jobs was on them. 

My point is that the Jets make those sh*tty hires in the first place because the job is a death trap 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I'd just like to get the right GM in here , signed and sealed. Then we can focus on winning some GD football games.

After they do those two things can we get a snack?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

It's a dead end job for people who can't fix it IMHO. We were a complete disaster in 95-96 and type A Parcells fixed it and he had the NY media wrapped around his finger due to his years of experience in NY. After Parcells it was a slow decent back to dysfunction and I think the Only guy that might have fixed it again was Mangini but he was sent walking for whatever reason. After that we had Rex who worked well with Mangini's personnel but they started to age and Rex went in the toilet with the Idzik debacle. Then Macc and Bowles sent us into the abyss until they drafted Darnold which gave us hope. 

My point is, you can claim this is a dead end job and I can say if these guys did their job and built a contender the job is no longer that dead end and they become the coach and GM that finally got the Jets on track like Parcells did in 97 . If you suck as a HC and GM like Bowles and Macc then yeah its a dead end

Yeah Tom. You can say this is a dead end job only because it is. If it wasn’t, you wouldn’t be able to call it that. 

59 minutes ago, Maxman said:

After they do those two things can we get a snack?

We've had Douglas under contract since before Mac was fired. It's just a matter of time until he is announced as the GM and he will will already have a staff already assembled. I'd wager a bet that he was already behind some of the moves Gase has orchestrated. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Then the question would by why someone like Gase would come here for the HC job?  It's been rumored that Gase was angling for the Cleveland job but it obviously stayed in-house with Kitchens.  It could be the case that Gase was enamored with two things, the opportunity to coach Sam Darnold and the chance to stay in the division and stick it to the Dolphins twice each year.  If those things outweighed the risk of being just another victim falling into the "pisshole" as you call it then so be it.  I think we could have done a lot worse than Gase and hopefully the GM candidates see the opportunity similarly - a team that already has some core pieces at QB and some young, Pro Bowl level talent on Defense.  There isn't a heavy lift required here to push the Jets into perennial playoff contention IF you believe in Darnold and Gase.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sackdance said:

Most NFL GM positions will be replaced by computers within next 5 years. I am so glad to be dodging that bullet.

How will computers account for effort or lack thereof, personalities, etc...? Seriously asking. It's a very different job, of course, but it's still a workplace.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Pot meet kettle.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah Tom. You can say this is a dead end job only because it is. If it wasn’t, you wouldn’t be able to call it that. 

I will tell you what. If someone came here and lit it up, it would not be a dead end job for them

• Upvote 1

Are all of you Jet fans out of your f*cking mind? 

Its a freaking DREAM JOB for a GM! 

Your franchise QB is in place & he turns 22 this summer! He's a hard worker, smart, quiet, unassuming, his teammates like him him, and he wants to the best QB he can be. 

THAT ALONE MAKES THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY. Quick, name the last time the Jets GM position was open and we had a young franchise QB sitting here going into his 2nd year. HOW ABOUT NEVER! 

This team has the potential for the core group to be All Pros. Darnold, Bell, Mosely, Adams, QW could be DROTY, Leonard might shine with QW next to him, Polite could be the missing pass rusher. 

This team is a revamped Oline, CB, top flight WR away from being a perennial contender in the AFC East with the aging of the Pats. 

This job is a no brainer & highly coveted. You'd have to be a moron to not interview if you have the chance. 32 GM jobs, "nah, it's the Jets", f*cking ridiculous. LaCanfora should give up his press credentials for making a statement like that, pure idiocy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, Jet9 said:

How will computers account for effort or lack thereof, personalities, etc...? Seriously asking. It's a very different job, of course, but it's still a workplace.

This is when I break it to you that in 10 years time most HC positions will be automated due to advances in AI and robotics. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Are all of you Jet fans out of your f*cking mind? 

Its a freaking DREAM JOB for a GM! 

Your franchise QB is in place & he turns 22 this summer! He's a hard worker, smart, quiet, unassuming, his teammates like him him, and he wants to the best QB he can be. 

THAT ALONE MAKES THIS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY. Quick, name the last time the Jets GM position was open and we had a young franchise QB sitting here going into his 2nd year. HOW ABOUT NEVER! 

This team has the potential for the core group to be All Pros. Darnold, Bell, Mosely, Adams, QW could be DROTY, Leonard might shine with QW next to him, Polite could be the missing pass rusher. 

This team is a revamped Oline, CB, top flight WR away from being a perennial contender in the AFC East with the aging of the Pats. 

This job is a no brainer & highly coveted. You'd have to be a moron to not interview if you have the chance. 32 GM jobs, "nah, it's the Jets", f*cking ridiculous. LaCanfora should give up his press credentials for making a statement like that, pure idiocy. 

NOT all of us. Just a few toxic "fans" who are ridiculously bitter.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

My point is that the Jets make those sh*tty hires in the first place because the job is a death trap 

Yet they all get jobs the very next season?  Belichick ran away with his napkin and Al Groh walked on his own terms.  Hell, we got a ******* draft pick for Herm.  Rex and Mangini both got new jobs as head coaches the next season.  Usually, guys need to take a year or two as coordinator to rehab their rep. Like Bowles is doing.  It might be the smart play, I think Rex certainly may have been better off to take some time and absorb his lessons and show he deserved a better situation.  I guess Tannenbaum had to take a couple of years off as an agent, but Idzik is the only one that didn't get a "real" job and he was historically awful.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RobR said:

We've had Douglas under contract since before Mac was fired. It's just a matter of time until he is announced as the GM and he will will already have a staff already assembled. I'd wager a bet that he was already behind some of the moves Gase has orchestrated. 

You think Douglas is behind the new backup punter?  :)

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I generally lean to the half-full side, myself, but the Jets GM job is far from a no-brainer. Not all GM jobs are the same. For most, the GM is the undisputed boss. For others, it's not even really a GM, but a personnel director working under the head coach. With the Jets, they have their stupid equal-footing structure where the head coach and GM both independently report to the owner. That system can leave the HC and GM at odds, with the GM thinking long term and the head coach needing to win now. How do you think Todd Bowles felt about Mac holding back $100M in potential player investment every year? 

The other issue here is Adam Gase. The man comes with the label of being a difficult person to work with (to say the least) and the GM is going to have to be able to navigate that and work with him. It's what makes this Douglas dude so appealing, because he presumably likes Gase and believes they can work together. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I generally lean to the half-full side, myself, but the Jets GM job is far from a no-brainer. Not all GM jobs are the same. For most, the GM is the undisputed boss. For others, it's not even really a GM, but a personnel director working under the head coach. With the Jets, they have their stupid equal-footing structure where the head coach and GM both independently report to the owner. That system can leave the HC and GM at odds, with the GM thinking long term and the head coach needing to win now. How do you think Todd Bowles felt about Mac holding back $100M in potential player investment every year? 

The other issue here is Adam Gase. The man comes with the label of being a difficult person to work with (to say the least) and the GM is going to have to be able to navigate that and work with him. It's what makes this Douglas dude so appealing, because he presumably likes Gase and believes they can work together. 

During Gase press conference he specifically states, "The GM will final say, discussions will be had with himself, and CJ, but final say will go to the GM". We just need a GM that knows what Gase vision is so he can get him the players he needs to be a success here.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

During Gase press conference he specifically states, "The GM will final say, discussions will be had with himself, and CJ, but final say will go to the GM". We just need a GM that knows what Gase vision is so he can get him the players he needs to be a success here.

The reporting about Gase during the draft was disturbing. Hopefully it was just Manish being Manish, but if not that's a major red flag when it comes to Gase's ability to work with (some) others. The Johnson's really need to bring in someone that has Gase's stamp of approval for the front office to function, for better or worse. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

The reporting about Gase during the draft was disturbing. Hopefully it was just Manish being Manish, but if not that's a major red flag when it comes to Gase's ability to work with (some) others. The Johnson's really need to bring in someone that has Gase's stamp of approval for the front office to function, for better or worse. 

I read something on Bleacher Report that quoted an "insider" as saying that Gase is crazy and one of the most paranoid people in the NFL. Like you, I hope it's all just bull sh*t and just a case of a reporter wanting to "create" news.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn’t say career killers. Rex, Magini, and Herm took HC jobs right after they were fired by the Jets. So they were giving a second chance. Bowles landed a DC gig.

On the front office side, Mike T landed on his feet in Miami as did Bradway but as a senior scout. Even Idzik landed in Jax right away as a contract guy. I don’t doubt Macc will land on his feet either.

The reality is most people get promoted to their level of incompetence. Rex as DC is great but not as a HC. Terry as a scout great. Idzik and Mike T belong more on the contract side. Macc will likely land something as a scout or director of college scouting. None of those guys are GMs though.

I agree it’s a toxic job though. So it takes someone who can be more than just a good GM unfortunately.