Off topic, sorry, Bill Buckner has died

Red Sox fans to this day still hate his guts. Pretty stupid and pretty if you ask me. My condolences to the Buckner family....

Let’s be real. If the jets are about to win the Super Bowl and somebody slips and falls to give up game winning touchdown, no matter how good they are, we will not be able to forgive.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Red Sox fans to this day still hate his guts. Pretty stupid and pretty if you ask me. My condolences to the Buckner family....

Nope. After they won the WS and then won it again they had completely forgiven him. 

I was sitting on the Green Monster after the won their second WS when they unfurled their new banner and he was there and they honored him and gave him a very warm welcome. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I think part of that is that he was put in as a defensive replacement. Sad

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Never gets to that point if Calvin Schiraldi doesn't peg the suck meter...

What about Bob Stanley? What about Steve Crawford? What about Al Nipper? They all played a roll in the ultimate choke job.

23 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I think part of that is that he was put in as a defensive replacement. Sad

No, they should have removed him for a defensive player. Buckner could barley move, McNamara should have pulled him for a defensive player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

I think Mookie Wilson might have beat it out anyway.  He was flying towards first base and Buckner had to really hurry. It wasn't a gimme  play.

Buckner also had bum ankles at that time and the manager kept trotting him out there. What kind of sense does that make?

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

No Sox fans I know are this way. May some old timers but he was celebrated many times after the Sox won 4 World Series the last 15 years. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No Sox fans I know are this way. May some old timers but he was celebrated many times after the Sox won 4 World Series the last 15 years. 

Yes... they ran him out of town. he lived out west for years.  BUT my memory is they welcomed him back and he got a round ovation from the city and all seemed to be forgiven.  BUT literally his family was not welcome there until 2004. 

terrific player. Great hitter. 

Its a shame that Buckner's career has come to be defined by one bad play.  Had a really good 20+ year major leage career.  Dave Stapleton was the Sox late inning fielding replacement in every game the Sox won in that postseason, but John Mcnamara decided Buckner should be on the field for the last out.  And people forget that the game was already tied on Bob Stanley's wild pitch a couple of pitches before the Wilson grounder.  But all anyone remembers is Bill Buckner not fielding a ground ball.  He always seemed like a class act who should be remembered by the 2,500 other major league games he appeared in.

RIP.

• Upvote 3