Breer, Interviews Start This Week

KRL

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/27/new-england-patriots-benjamin-watson-suspension-new-york-jets-general-manager-search

4. Of course, Philadelphia’s Joe Douglas remains the favorite, and the one hire the Jets can make that could mitigate the public relations mess of the last few weeks. One reason to hire Douglas, beyond just his relationship with Adam Gase and sterling reputation as an evaluator, would be his ability to assemble a loaded scouting staff, sort of like Chris Ballard has in Indianapolis. There’s a belief in scouting circles that if Kelly doesn’t get the GM job, he could still land in Jersey working under Douglas. And Eagles execs Andy Weidl and Ian Cunningham are well-regarded, and brought to Philly from Baltimore by Douglas—so it’d hardly be a surprise if he were to try and poach them, should he land/decide to take the job.

Boo ya -- this is a dream scenario. Not to mention, the last sentence. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

41 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Good stuff here.  If they could somehow land both Douglas and Kelly, and bring some other guys that Douglas/Gase know well, this could be a landmark moment for the Jets.

Agreed. It's interesting for me. I have agreed with many Coaching, player and FO moves the Jets have made in the past only to watch them fizzle and fail. This time around I have disliked most of what transpired. From the hiring of Gase to the ignoring of Paradis and Morse to the firing of Macc and how that all went down. 

If the Jets can pull off Hiring Joe Douglas with his Ravens background and ability to create a stellar scouting team and somehow still grab Kelly as the Director of college scouting as well it would be no less than a windfall that could finally propel the Jets to a place we haven't been in our history.  Maybe I have to feel terrible about things that will actually work. lol 

This process needs to play out and we all know the Jets can blow this in epic style, but it does look like we had a plan here. We are moving forward methodically even though the plan looks to already be in place. That would signify a change in philosophy as well as indicate our Jets just may be getting their heads out of their arses here.  How great would it be to finally be the ones who get it right and laugh in he face of all the critics? 

I am hoping for the best and will watch obsessively. lol 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Hopefully they have all 3 in the building today and tonight we get the announcement that Joe D was hired and a Press conference will be held tomorrow morning introducing his new staff.

Patience Patience. :) 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/05/27/new-england-patriots-benjamin-watson-suspension-new-york-jets-general-manager-search

3. The Jets’ GM search will rev up this week. I’m told it remains unclear if Minnesota exec George Paton will accept the interview, but both Chicago’s Champ Kelly and Seattle’s Scott Fitterer are going to meet with the Jets. Fitterer’s interview is set for Thursday and Friday in New Jersey.

4. Of course, Philadelphia’s Joe Douglas remains the favorite, and the one hire the Jets can make that could mitigate the public relations mess of the last few weeks. One reason to hire Douglas, beyond just his relationship with Adam Gase and sterling reputation as an evaluator, would be his ability to assemble a loaded scouting staff, sort of like Chris Ballard has in Indianapolis. There’s a belief in scouting circles that if Kelly doesn’t get the GM job, he could still land in Jersey working under Douglas. And Eagles execs Andy Weidl and Ian Cunningham are well-regarded, and brought to Philly from Baltimore by Douglas—so it’d hardly be a surprise if he were to try and poach them, should he land/decide to take the job.

That would be amazing.

So, the more or less "confirmed" plausible candidates are:

1. Joe Douglas - Eagles (purported "favorite")
  2. Scott Fitterer - Seahawks (inteview set up)
  3. Champ Kelly - Bears (inteview set up)
  4. George Paton - Vikings (requested an interview)

Random, probably ridiculous "rumored" candidates are:

1. Peyton Manning
  2. Peter Schrager (Manish Metha special)
  3. Daniel Jeremiah 

I wonder why no public announcement of a set interview with Douglas has been made?  I would have thought he would be first up if he's the #1 guy.  

If he was first, and they did come to terms, he could even take part in the interview with Kelly if it's true that he could be poached.  Honestly don't see how that's possible, I was under the impression that Kelly is still under contract with the Bears.  Can only leave if it's a promotion to GM.

Maybe Douglas is coming in today, and they are keeping it under wraps.  I can hope.  :)

• Upvote 2

Whats the Deal with Fitterer

His colleague, Trent Kirchner, who shares the co-director of player personnel title with Fitterer, actually interviewed with the Jets in 2015 before they hired Maccagnan. Other than that, don’t know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I wonder why no public announcement of a set interview with Douglas has been made?  I would have thought he would be first up if he's the #1 guy.  

If he was first, and they did come to terms, he could even take part in the interview with Kelly if it's true that he could be poached.  Honestly don't see how that's possible, I was under the impression that Kelly is still under contract with the Bears.  Can only leave if it's a promotion to GM.

Maybe Douglas is coming in today, and they are keeping it under wraps.  I can hope.  :)

I'd guess they're simply paranoid if any more leaks were to come through than already have, such as coming to terms as you mentioned, it could potentially scare off the other candidates and create additional problems for themselves.  With the media having already latched onto the Jets/Douglas connection, they're probably trying to play up their interest in others more, just to be safe.

My initial reaction to the Kelly report was the same as yours, but on the other hand, while the Bears would have the option of blocking the move if the Jets offered him anything other than the GM role, that's really at their own discretion and it's not entirely uncommon for teams to allow moves to happen if it still is a promotion.  So it's possible that with Kelly's current role being Assistant Director, the Jets think they might be able to get him if offering him the Director role.  Of course, that doesn't mean it would happen, whether that be the Bears blocking it or Kelly not interested in an offer other than GM, but they could certainly give it a shot if they wanted.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm pretty content with the Jets taking their time. There's not a lot for a GM to do this time of year until the summer cuts start coming in. I'm hoping that this is Chris Johnson doing his due diligence and maybe learning something about football in the process. 

Also, if Douglas is their favorite, saving him for last makes a lot of sense. They can then compare his interview to the ones they've already done and offer him the job on the spot if he's still their #1 choice after the interview. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Didn't these guys check in with La Canfora first before accepting their interviews? 

Amateurs.

The ‘it remains unclear if George Paton will accept....” is all you need to know about who was asking LaCanfora for advice

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

The ‘it remains unclear if George Paton will accept....” is all you need to know about who was asking LaCanfora for advice

I wouldn't go that far. Paton has turned down numerous interview requests in the past (including two from the Jets). If Breer hasn't been able to confirm that Paton is going to interview for the job, then it's fair for him to say that it's "unclear" if Paton will accept their request.

It's a perfectly valid statement, considering Paton's history. Not everything is a conspiracy.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

4. Of course, Philadelphia’s Joe Douglas remains the favorite, and the one hire the Jets can make that could mitigate the public relations mess of the last few weeks

IMO there's no "mess" between the Jets and the public.  There's a manufactured thesis out there that the firing of Maccagnan was somehow a bad thing because it happened in May.  As if putting in a backup power generator for your house is a bad idea now, before the next hurricane, simply because you didn't do it before last year's storm.

The mess is between the media and themselves over a HC who is running a tighter ship than they want.  In the absence of crisis....the media will create one.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd guess they're simply paranoid if any more leaks were to come through than already have, such as coming to terms as you mentioned, it could potentially scare off the other candidates and create additional problems for themselves.  With the media having already latched onto the Jets/Douglas connection, they're probably trying to play up their interest in others more, just to be safe.

My initial reaction to the Kelly report was the same as yours, but on the other hand, while the Bears would have the option of blocking the move if the Jets offered him anything other than the GM role, that's really at their own discretion and it's not entirely uncommon for teams to allow moves to happen if it still is a promotion.  So it's possible that with Kelly's current role being Assistant Director, the Jets think they might be able to get him if offering him the Director role.  Of course, that doesn't mean it would happen, whether that be the Bears blocking it or Kelly not interested in an offer other than GM, but they could certainly give it a shot if they wanted.

i am not sure this is true. he is currently the assistant director....i believe the jets could make him the director of player personnel under joe douglas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

IMO there's no "mess" between the Jets and the public.  There's a manufactured thesis out there that the firing of Maccagnan was somehow a bad thing because it happened in May.  As if putting in a backup power generator for your house is a bad idea now, before the next hurricane, simply because you didn't do it before last year's storm.

The mess is between the media and themselves over a HC who is running a tighter ship than they want.  In the absence of crisis....the media will create one.

While I certainly agree with the "better late than never" philosophy, in fairness this example is more like if the hurricane was hitting at the exact same time each year like clockwork, everyone else in town has had generators for years, and after months of warnings that the same storm was coming at the same time once again, the purchase was only made the day after power was restored this year.  Sure, it will help out in the future, but you're still kind of an idiot for taking so long to figure it out.

I'm glad it happened, but let's not start defending the stupidity of what this team has previously done, just because there's a chance they might finally be gaining a bit of intelligence.  Now don't get me wrong, I agree it's over and time to move on, but it was still endlessly stupid to give Maccagnan another draft, and nothing will change that.

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I certainly agree with the "better late than never" philosophy, in fairness this example is more like if the hurricane was hitting at the exact same time each year like clockwork, everyone else in town has had generators for years, and after months of warnings that the same storm was coming at the same time once again, the purchase was only made the day after power was restored this year.  Sure, it will help out in the future, but you're still kind of an idiot for taking so long to figure it out.

I'm glad it happened, but let's not start defending the stupidity of what this team has previously done, just because there's a chance they might finally be gaining a bit of intelligence.  Now don't get me wrong, I agree it's over and time to move on, but it was still endlessly stupid to give Maccagnan another draft, and nothing will change that.

Good post man. That was a nice differentiation. Well done. :)   

21 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Kinda sounds like Joe Douglas isn’t such a slam dunk after all.

I like that they don't seem to be predetermined to Douglas and aren't just going through the motions. Yes, he may be the front-runner as of now but let him earn it. If someone else completely annihilates him in the interview process, tough decisions will have to be made. 

48 minutes ago, section314 said:

If Terry was on board when they had that great draft two years ago, by all means bring him in.

He's been with the Saints for ages, but he is the Director of Pro Personnel for the last 6.  That means waiver pick ups, free agents, much more than draft picks. 

17 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I like that they don't seem to be predetermined to Douglas and aren't just going through the motions. Yes, he may be the front-runner as of now but let him earn it. If someone else completely annihilates him in the interview process, tough decisions will have to be made. 

That is exactly what I don't like.  They should have had this set-up.  I am a bit nervous that they seem like they started from scratch and waited until a week after they fired the guy to even think about a replacement. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's been with the Saints for ages, but he is the Director of Pro Personnel for the last 6.  That means waiver pick ups, free agents, much more than draft picks. 

That is exactly what I don't like.  They should have had this set-up.  I am a bit nervous that they seem like they started from scratch and waited until a week after they fired the guy to even think about a replacement. 

I get that. There's obviously no way to prove it but I have a funny feeling that the league asked them to hold off for a bit to avoid the optics of straight up poaching another team's exec without a typical interview process. I doubt they want it to look like they have been having backdoor conversations with Douglas and came to an agreement before Mac even received his papers. That could also just be complete wishful thinking and naivete on my part though.