Bears DC Pagano sees some Ed Reed in Eddie Jackson (2017 4th rounder)

In the same draft where we took Jamal Adams # 6 overall, the Bears found a stud Safety in Round 4, # 112 overall. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032071/article/bears-dc-pagano-sees-some-ed-reed-in-eddie-jackson

Bears DC Pagano sees some Ed Reed in Eddie Jackson

Expectations for Chicago Bears safety Eddie Jackson were already through the roof entering his third pro season. New defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano added even more fuel to the hype fire.

Pagano said last week that Jackson reminds him of former Ravens safety Ed Reed, who enters the Hall of Fame this year.

"From a talent standpoint? Very, very similar," Pagano said, via the Chicago Sun-Times. "Great instincts. Great range. Great ball skills. He's only three years into it. Ed has a lot more time on task, obviously. He's got a lot of the same traits. He loves football. He's a football junkie. And again, the sky's the limit for a guy like that.

"When you know the defense and you know what you're doing and then you can spend all your time figuring out the offense and being one step ahead, that's where he's got an edge on everybody. He's very similar to Reed."

Pagano coached Reed in Baltimore for four seasons. He will now help Jackson take the next step in what could be an epic career.

Jackson is coming off a dynamic second season in which he was named first-team All-Pro after compiling six interceptions, 15 passes defended, a sack and 51 tackles.

The Bears' safety has the range ideal for the modern NFL, but has plenty of strides to make before a true comparison to Reed is fair to the young player.

"He had a great year last year -- but that was then," safeties coach Sean Desai said. "He knows that. We're going to challenge him in a way that we see, and he sees, the small areas he can improve. ...

"In this league, it's about one step and one inch. If you can get him one step faster than he was last year, that could lead to more plays he can make. If you get him one inch closer, that can lead to more plays."

When Jackson suffered an injury late in the season (missing the final two games of the regular season and didn't play a snap in the playoff tilt), the Bears' back end noticeably suffered without the playmaking safety's ability to blanket the secondary. Watching Nick Foles dice up the Bears' defense late in the postseason tilt underscored Jackson's importance to Chicago's D.

If Jackson lives up to Pagano's expectation in 2019, it will go a long way in the Bears' defense repeating their dominant 2018 campaign.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Why would a Jets fan care about the Bears 4th rounder?   Oh... trash MAC? :)

I HATE MAC... but this is a bit unfair.  

Its totally fair.  We used the 6th pick on Adams for 1 INT.  The Bears used the # 112 pick on a guy who in the same span has 8 INTs. 

And not only did Macc take Adams at 6, he took ANOTHER Safety in Round 2. 

Record since those 2 picks:  9-23. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its totally fair.  We used the 6th pick on Adams for 1 INT.  The Bears used the # 112 pick on a guy who in the same span has 8 INTs. 

so who do we want to fire next for that??

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ed Reed generated turnovers.  So no, Pagano wouldn't compared Adams to him.

The best comparison for Adams would probably be Kam Chancellor (former 5th round pick). 

It's okay man, it all worked out. We still got Darnold, we have Adams, Mac is gone. It's gonna be alright.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2016 Drafted Wide outs 

Corey Coleman
Will Fuller (ok)
Josh Doctson
Laquon Treadwell 
Sterling Shepard (Good) 
Michael Thomas N.O  (A+)
Tyler Boyd (ok)
Braxton Miller
Leonte Carroo 
Chris Moore
Malcolm Mitchell 
Ricardo Louis
Pharoh Cooper
Demarcus Robinson
Tajae Sharpe 
Jordan Payton
Trevor Davis
Tyreek Hill  (A+) on the field 
Rashard Higgins 
Moritz Böhringer
Keenan Reynolds 
Jakeem Grant
Kolby Listenbee
Cody Core
Mike Thomas L.A.R
Aaron Burbridge
Devin Lucien 
Demarcus Ayers
Daniel Braverman 
Devin Fuller
Charone Peake
Kenny Lawler 

Not Drafted 

Geronimo Allison 
Robby (Nut In the I) Anderson

Look how many misses

I'll stick with Adams at 6 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Per PFF, Jackson was the # 1 Safety in the NFL last year.  Not the Prez.  Eddie Jackson. 

WHO CARES?

What is it with this fanbase going out of their way to discredit the players that they are supposed to be rooting for?

What the hell is wrong with you?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Why would a Jets fan care about the Bears 4th rounder?   Oh... trash MAC? :)

I HATE MAC... but this is a bit unfair.  

No it's not.  As good as Adams is, his pick was emblematic of the routine poor decision making and improper prioritization of the organization as a whole.

Had we not scored Darnold (at the extreme cost of all those high-round picks), the Adams > Mahomes decision might have gone down in Jets History as one of the all-time worst decisions in our history.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Warfish said:

No it's not.  As good as Adams is, his pick was emblematic of the routine poor decision making and improper prioritization of the organization as a whole.

But why bring it up at all now? Macc is gone. What's the point?

I just don't get the fans hating on a player who wants to play here

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Meh.  He'd say that about Adams too I'm sure.

There were 12 safeties taken before Jackson.  And while Jackson is great, the Jets got a great player as well.  I get the point and topic, it's a fresh one; Adams wasnt worth the #6th overall pick! but there are much worse drafts to complain about and much bigger finds than Jackson in the history of the draft.  

For example; the year same year Antonio Brown was drafted in the 6th round, the Jets took; Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight and John Connor before him.  This was the same year that Jeremy Kerley and Chaz Schilens were the Jets leading WR's.

Jackson was hurt at the end of the season at Bama. That's why his stock dropped. He was one of the top safeties that year pre injury.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But why bring it up at all now? Macc is gone. What's the point?

I just don't get the fans hating on a player who wants to play here

And I don't get fans incapable of have rational discussions of things without going full-bore homer-defensive over every thing.

Jamal Adams can be a very good Safety AND not have been worth the pick he was selected at.

We always say (rightfully so) that we cannot and should not judge a draft till after a few years have passed.

A few years have passed, and the best Safety in the NFL is a guy picked in the same class as Adams three rounds later. 

Rational people should be able to discuss this without getting all emotional and blubbery about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then every GM should be fired for not drafting Brady.   To me, Monday morning QB stuff is not what we should be doing. It's the NOT taking a QB when 2 quality starters were available. THAT is my beef, and in my mind, the better argument that MAC is NOT a quality GM.  Oline avoidance etc. BUT to have a HOFer picked by a team in the 4th round?  That player was available to every team at least 2 times. But yes, let's crucify MAC.

• Upvote 2