Bears DC Pagano sees some Ed Reed in Eddie Jackson (2017 4th rounder)

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In the same draft where we took Jamal Adams # 6 overall, the Bears found a stud Safety in Round 4, # 112 overall. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001032071/article/bears-dc-pagano-sees-some-ed-reed-in-eddie-jackson

Bears DC Pagano sees some Ed Reed in Eddie Jackson

Expectations for Chicago Bears safety Eddie Jackson were already through the roof entering his third pro season. New defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano added even more fuel to the hype fire.

Pagano said last week that Jackson reminds him of former Ravens safety Ed Reed, who enters the Hall of Fame this year.

"From a talent standpoint? Very, very similar," Pagano said, via the Chicago Sun-Times. "Great instincts. Great range. Great ball skills. He's only three years into it. Ed has a lot more time on task, obviously. He's got a lot of the same traits. He loves football. He's a football junkie. And again, the sky's the limit for a guy like that.

"When you know the defense and you know what you're doing and then you can spend all your time figuring out the offense and being one step ahead, that's where he's got an edge on everybody. He's very similar to Reed."

Pagano coached Reed in Baltimore for four seasons. He will now help Jackson take the next step in what could be an epic career.

Jackson is coming off a dynamic second season in which he was named first-team All-Pro after compiling six interceptions, 15 passes defended, a sack and 51 tackles.

The Bears' safety has the range ideal for the modern NFL, but has plenty of strides to make before a true comparison to Reed is fair to the young player.

"He had a great year last year -- but that was then," safeties coach Sean Desai said. "He knows that. We're going to challenge him in a way that we see, and he sees, the small areas he can improve. ...

"In this league, it's about one step and one inch. If you can get him one step faster than he was last year, that could lead to more plays he can make. If you get him one inch closer, that can lead to more plays."

When Jackson suffered an injury late in the season (missing the final two games of the regular season and didn't play a snap in the playoff tilt), the Bears' back end noticeably suffered without the playmaking safety's ability to blanket the secondary. Watching Nick Foles dice up the Bears' defense late in the postseason tilt underscored Jackson's importance to Chicago's D.

If Jackson lives up to Pagano's expectation in 2019, it will go a long way in the Bears' defense repeating their dominant 2018 campaign.

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

You forgot forever injured Marcus Maye was also picked in the second round of that draft. Could have had both Jamal Adams and Eddie Jackson.

BUT Eddie Jackson was hurt coming out of Bama, That's why he dropped to the 4th round. Let it go.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

No it's not.  As good as Adams is, his pick was emblematic of the routine poor decision making and improper prioritization of the organization as a whole.

Had we not scored Darnold (at the extreme cost of all those high-round picks), the Adams > Mahomes decision might have gone down in Jets History as one of the all-time worst decisions in our history.

Extreme cost of all those high-round picks? This wasn’t like the Redskins moving up to get RG3. It was a few second round picks. Your hyperbole meter is pinging off the charts. 

21 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm not going to argue with you about coach pillow talk...but I'm sure he'd have very nice things to say about a great player in Jamal Adams (former 6th overall pick).

Jackson and Adams are clearly used totally different.  Jackson a free roaming center fielder and Adams is basically a LB'er.  I'm not saying Adams can do what Jackson does but I know for a fact that Jackson could not come close to doing what Adams does.  I could be wrong here but I dont think Jackson is an all world athlete head and shoulders above Adams.  A good, not great athlete.  I think the wrap on him other than always injured was that he was not a "speed demon" for safety who cant tackle.  I think his instincts are just insane.

I do think dumbing it down to just turnovers is a bit juvenile in thought.  Not all turnovers are created equal.  And is play on 3rd down forcing a punt any different than an INT that doesnt give you better field position?  I dont think so.  It's like the old saying, a bomb on 3rd down that gets picked off is no different than a punt on 4th.

Jamal had 65 more tackles and 3 more sacks than Jackson.  It's safe to assume, somewhere in those statistics are a few plays on 3rd down that created a punt situation or maybe even created a turnover for someone else. 

Jackson really isnt asked to do much.  He wasnt at Bama either.  He just plays a great centerfield.  Compare that to what Jamal Adams is asked to do and it's night and day.

I'm not arguing your overall point.  The Bears got a game changing player at a non-premium position much later in the draft.  Kudos.  I just think there could be a lot worse situations than having Jamal Adams on your team and using a fluff quote from a coach to drive home an already belabored point is weak sauce. 

Jamal is not a ballhawk.  He is a guided missile

• Upvote 1