ESPN Jets Offseason Grade ("What the f--- are you talking about?")

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What kind of person pays money for an ESPN+ subscription?

Right here. The boxing access is top notch and UFC just signed a big deal with them. Need a plus subscription for the weekend cards which they hold almost every Saturday now. They also run their PPV’s through plus. For 8 bucks a month it’s a steal tbh.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Right here. The boxing access is top notch and UFC just signed a big deal with them. Need a plus subscription for the weekend cards which they hold almost every Saturday now. They also run their PPV’s through plus. For 8 bucks a month it’s a steal tbh.

s4f1k.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Literally every single thing on ESPN is click bait. Not figuratively. Literally. It's been trash for over a decade. But ya know, I'm sure this time the grades will be meaningful. 

It is the Daily News of media

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, jetstream23 said:

I don't have access to ESPN+ and I'm trying to figure out if this is clickbait....

IMG_6548.thumb.jpg.3092ecc73f6dc62c1aac9730816759f6.jpg

IMG_6549.thumb.jpg.fc6817aa019902a362e4b4dc4df778b3.jpg

New York Jets

Grade: D-

This Jets offseason remains in flux until the team names its next GM, but there's lots to digest.

The plan all along could not have been to fire GM Mike Maccagnan two weeks after the draft -- well after Maccagnan seemed to drive key moves in free agency, including the signing of Le'Veon Bell, which no one saw as a move the new head coach, Adam Gase, would have made or even supported.

"If you had told people in November that the Jets were going to wind up with Adam Gase as the head coach and [interim] GM, they'd be like, 'What the f--- are you talking about?'" an exec said.

Lots of people are saying a variation of that right now.

"You don't have to agree with the decision people make -- people are right or wrong all the time -- but you should be able to understand what teams are trying to accomplish," an exec said. "With the Jets, you have done some things that could make you better, but you don't get the sense they walked in knowing how to fix their organization. They threw darts."

Where there is no coherent plan, there is speculation.

Gase and franchise quarterback Sam Darnold share representation through agent Jimmy Sexton, as do some of the potential GM candidates, and Bob LaMonte reps Maccagnan. Not everyone agreed those dynamics were critical here.

"I don't think Maccagnan got fired because of agents or even because of Gase," an exec said. "Look, Gase could have prevented Maccagnan from being fired, but I don't think Gase is the reason he was fired. What solidified it was that they've had two head coaches not love the fit."

Beyond leading the league in intrigue, the Jets also led in guaranteed money committed to free agents, which carries its own downside -- specifically, that when you're determined to spend in free agency, you're at the mercy of what's available.

For the Jets, that meant spending $17 million per year on an inside linebacker (C.J. Mosley) and $13 million per year on a running back (Bell) who hasn't played in more than a year and had become estranged from his previous team. Meanwhile, another team with excess cap space, the Indianapolis Colts, continued making decisions based on value and strategic planning.

What the Jets do on the GM front could determine whether they're throwing darts again next offseason.

"There are a lot of pretty good evaluators," an exec said. "You need to get a guy that formulates an organizational plan, with the personnel people and with the coaching staff. The problem with keeping the evaluator during a coaching changeover is, that is not always the case."

55 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

New York Jets

Grade: D-

This Jets offseason remains in flux until the team names its next GM, but there's lots to digest.

The plan all along could not have been to fire GM Mike Maccagnan two weeks after the draft -- well after Maccagnan seemed to drive key moves in free agency, including the signing of Le'Veon Bell, which no one saw as a move the new head coach, Adam Gase, would have made or even supported.

"If you had told people in November that the Jets were going to wind up with Adam Gase as the head coach and [interim] GM, they'd be like, 'What the f--- are you talking about?'" an exec said.

Lots of people are saying a variation of that right now.

"You don't have to agree with the decision people make -- people are right or wrong all the time -- but you should be able to understand what teams are trying to accomplish," an exec said. "With the Jets, you have done some things that could make you better, but you don't get the sense they walked in knowing how to fix their organization. They threw darts."

Where there is no coherent plan, there is speculation.

Gase and franchise quarterback Sam Darnold share representation through agent Jimmy Sexton, as do some of the potential GM candidates, and Bob LaMonte reps Maccagnan. Not everyone agreed those dynamics were critical here.

"I don't think Maccagnan got fired because of agents or even because of Gase," an exec said. "Look, Gase could have prevented Maccagnan from being fired, but I don't think Gase is the reason he was fired. What solidified it was that they've had two head coaches not love the fit."

Beyond leading the league in intrigue, the Jets also led in guaranteed money committed to free agents, which carries its own downside -- specifically, that when you're determined to spend in free agency, you're at the mercy of what's available.

For the Jets, that meant spending $17 million per year on an inside linebacker (C.J. Mosley) and $13 million per year on a running back (Bell) who hasn't played in more than a year and had become estranged from his previous team. Meanwhile, another team with excess cap space, the Indianapolis Colts, continued making decisions based on value and strategic planning.

What the Jets do on the GM front could determine whether they're throwing darts again next offseason.

"There are a lot of pretty good evaluators," an exec said. "You need to get a guy that formulates an organizational plan, with the personnel people and with the coaching staff. The problem with keeping the evaluator during a coaching changeover is, that is not always the case."

lol

Should merge this with the Mehta thread and the thread with the podcast about the Jets having no Cap space and no place.

• Upvote 1

Fair comment to say the offseason did not seem to have a plan, I would agree after FA and especially the draft, but then to trash them for firing the guy who should have had the plan? strange

Mac has been "throwing darts" with no apparent plan for years - CJ should have seen that sooner but I give him some credit for making the move once the light bulb went on, regardless of timing

On 5/29/2019 at 4:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

LOSERRR

• Haha 1

Anyone know the true breakdown of Bell's contract? Is there a holdout clause? Still entitled to guaranteed money/signing bonus etc if he skips camp? There doesnt seem to be a reporting bonus for this year and next.

• $27M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary +2020 salary + 2019 roster bonus + 2020 roster bonus)
  • 2019 Roster Bonus: $4M (guaranteed)
  • 2020 Roster Bonus: $4.5M (guaranteed)
  • 2021 Reporting Bonus: $3M (training camp)
  • 2022 Reporting Bonus: $3M (training camp)

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I do. So I can watch my son and many of his former teammates play college baseball. That is the value of ESPN Plus

Didn't know that!  I was thinking of the losers who pay for it to try to get a leg up in Fantasy Football.  I have one of those in my league.  Pays $50 so he can try to win a league where the entry fee is $40. 

• Upvote 1