Mayfield vs Cowherd

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Fair point.  Also like 2 inches shorter as well. At least that's what I've heard from people around here.

:P

Yeah I was on another site and this dude that hated Baker and kept claiming he was 26 and 5’-9”. 

Even after getting officially measured. 

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I am a HUGE Rangers fan.  My point was simply with him in net we sniffed a cup  and got manhandled by the Kings.  Id rather win a cup with an average Goaltender.  I did NOT disparage marino or Lundqvist. GREAT players with NO rings.

Rangers suck.

photo3kix.jpg.3c5e5a5b2661658597a051a4fd9de2a8.jpg Just playing.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He just turned 24. 

Right on, thought he was older for some reason.  Still doesnt change the fact Sam was the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history and Baker played 21 more college games and attempted 650 more passes before entering the NFL.   Just because the difference in age isnt as big as I thought, doesnt change the fact he's much more mature and further along in his development. 

Sam has been playing QB for 3 years total.  Baker was in college for 5 years and played QB at 2 different universities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

When our guy does it, we love it, when their guy does it, it's lol no think skin and he couldn't make it in NY, and lol, right, sure.  Crock of sh*t if you ask me, Mayfield has fire and passion, and if he was a Jet, and venting that fire and passion for the Jets, he'd be beloved here today..

Don't know what color glasses you look at things thru. 

There's always been a vocal contingent of Jet fans who hate on good players with big mouths, and that's never gonna change. Whether it's Gastineau, Keyshawn, or Prez Mal, there are always haters, and they always make themselves known. 

Mayfield would've had his fans and detractors here, just like every other personality/mouth that's come thru the door. For what it's worth, I wanted/expected him here, and would've been on board (as I was with #99 and #19). 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right on, thought he was older for some reason.  Still doesnt change the fact Sam was the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history and Baker played 21 more college games and attempted 650 more passes before entering the NFL.   Just because the difference in age isnt as big as I thought, doesnt change the fact he's much more mature and further along in his development. 

Sam has been playing QB for 3 years total.  Baker was in college for 5 years and played QB at 2 different universities. 

There's no doubt that Mayfield had a head start with all his college experience. The Browns were also better built before they drafted Mayfield than the Jets were/are. All of that has to be taken into account. A lot of fans here love that Sam is so young when the reality is that Mayfield's age gave him more to work with to hit the ground running in the pros. They're built to win right now, with the big question marks being Kitchens and the combustible personalities (albeit fine players) that they've assembled. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

There's no doubt that Mayfield had a head start with all his college experience. The Browns were also better built before they drafted Mayfield than the Jets were/are. All of that has to be taken into account. A lot of fans here love that Sam is so young when the reality is that Mayfield's age gave him more to work with to hit the ground running in the pros. They're built to win right now, with the big question marks being Kitchens and the combustible personalities (albeit fine players) that they've assembled. 

For sure.  His age, his experience, the situation - all led to him having a much better rookie year than I certainly expected and yes, much better than Sam.  That said, look at their progression through the season.   Sam was on pace to break Peyton record and it seemed like a light turn on and suddenly flipped the script.  Mayfield was pretty much the same up and down guy the whole year.  

I think you hit the nail on the head, that team is combustible but it could be incredible too.  Should be entertaining. 

1 hour ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Cowherd just said he thinks Mayfield is pushing this War of Words in an effort to distract everyone from the hot mess that's going on between Kitchens and OBJ. 

Legit question; have OBJ and Kitchens even met? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I am a HUGE Rangers fan.  My point was simply with him in net we sniffed a cup  and got manhandled by the Kings.  Id rather win a cup with an average Goaltender.  I did NOT disparage marino or Lundqvist. GREAT players with NO rings.

But Lundqvist isn’t the reason they lost. 

If the Rangers had an average goalie they never sniff the finals. 

The point was, it appears Sam’s personality is similar to Hanks. 

Doesnt make them a winner or not a winner. Just about temperament. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

My point was only that the way Darnold deals with the media is similar to that of Lundqvist. Both players will answer any question (no matter how stupid) in a respectful way. 

Lundqvist is an absolute class act off the ice as well from everything I hear. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

My point was only that the way Darnold deals with the media is similar to that of Lundqvist. Both players will answer any question (no matter how stupid) in a respectful way. 

Lundqvist is an absolute class act off the ice as well from everything I hear. 

That’s what I was saying. 

26 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

No kidding?  Wow. ?

13 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Just promise that the Devils will take Jack Hughes with the #1 overall pick, and leave Kaapo Kakko, sitting there for the Rangers to scoop up with the #2 overall pick, and we're good.  I promise....

NEVER!!

6-2 200 pound stud v 5-10 170 pound scatter bug?

My Devils taking Kakko. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

NEVER!!

6-2 200 pound stud v 5-10 170 pound scatter bug?

My Devils taking Kakko. 

New Jersey logo New Jersey Jack Hughes C USNTDP (USHL) 5' 10" 152
2 NY Rangers logo NY Rangers Kaapo Kakko RW TPS Turku (SM-liiga) 6' 1.25"

187     The conventional wisdom has "your Devils" taking Hughes with the #1.  Lou Lamariello is no longer running the show, so there's that.  I think that Kakko's a Ranger.  Good for us.  Bad for you.  Hughes will also be a very good NHL player.  Enjoy.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, Warfish said:

Really?

Imagine if Mehta wrote an article tearing down say Bell, or Enunwa, or heaven forbid our new God Gase, and Darnold made a strident defense of him on ESPN or the like while being interviewed.

This place would go nuts about it, and the superlatives for Darnold would be overflowing and unending.  Oh, look how mature, oh look how he goes to bat for his teammates, oh wow, isn't he dreamy.....

Like most things, Jets Fans have an inferiority complex re: Mayfield.  Alot of us wanted him, badly.  When we didn't get him, and worse when he tore the league up as a rookie, alot of those same folks now hate him.  And because we got Darnold (who couldn't sniff Baker's jock last year) and Clevland made massive strides while we continued our decline.....now most of Jets Fan Nation are all-in on hoping Mayfield bombs disastrously, but it's mostly hypocritical garbage tbqh. 

When our guy does it, we love it, when their guy does it, it's lol no think skin and he couldn't make it in NY, and lol, right, sure.  Crock of sh*t if you ask me, Mayfield has fire and passion, and if he was a Jet, and venting that fire and passion for the Jets, he'd be beloved here today..

This is the best post I’ve seen on this site regarding Baker Mayfield. I’d give it 10 posts of the week if I could.

i argued how good he’d be/was throughout last season, then finally gave up. I get the fact that Darnold is our QB, and that we all want him to become the franchise guy we’ve been waiting for. But I’ve never seen so much hoopla over a 3 game stretch (1 win btw), and so many people turn a blind eye to what was at best a so so rookie year as Jets fans did with Darnold.

They proclaim “they’ve seen enough to be convinced”, they’d “rather have him then (fill in the blank QB”), and then tear the others in the class of ‘18 apart as if Darnold is head and shoulders above every other one of them.

Here are the facts. A lot of us, myself included wanted Mayfield. We got Darnold. We’re happy we at least got him, but Mayfield had the season we dreamed Sam might have. If Mayfield was here, he’d own the city, and the Jets would rule NY football for the next 10+ years.

Darnold and the Jets are playing catch up to Mayfield and the Browns. The days of The Browns being the Browns are over. If we want to catch up to them we better hope Darnold is the real thing and the days of Same old Jets are over.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Just promise that the Devils will take Jack Hughes with the #1 overall pick, and leave Kaapo Kakko, sitting there for the Rangers to scoop up with the #2 overall pick, and we're good.  I promise....

1 hour ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

New Jersey logo New Jersey Jack Hughes C USNTDP (USHL) 5' 10" 152
2 NY Rangers logo NY Rangers Kaapo Kakko RW TPS Turku (SM-liiga) 6' 1.25"

187     The conventional wisdom has "your Devils" taking Hughes with the #1.  Lou Lamariello is no longer running the show, so there's that.  I think that Kakko's a Ranger.  Good for us.  Bad for you.  Hughes will also be a very good NHL player.  Enjoy.

They’re both going to be really good. I read an article about three weeks ago (I think it was on the ESPN app) where they really went in depth about them both.

Hughes had been the consensus best player, until a recent world tournament where Kakko outplayed him and became the trendy pick in some people’s opinion.

The writer made a great point when he brought up the schedule Hughes had played right up to that tournament, and yet how well he still played despite it. 

I agree with both of you though, Kakko would be my choice and I think the Rangers are going to end up with him. Of course because we’re the Rangers, Hughes will become a star, and Kakko will be ka ka.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2019 at 1:25 PM, JiF said:

For sure.  His age, his experience, the situation - all led to him having a much better rookie year than I certainly expected and yes, much better than Sam.  That said, look at their progression through the season.   Sam was on pace to break Peyton record and it seemed like a light turn on and suddenly flipped the script.  Mayfield was pretty much the same up and down guy the whole year.  

I think you hit the nail on the head, that team is combustible but it could be incredible too.  Should be entertaining. 

Mayfield has excellent accuracy