Assistant GM?

26 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Current list of interviews requested: (I stole this list from @Sarge4Tide)

Joe Douglas - Eagles Vice President of Player Personnel

Scott Fitterer - Seahawks Co-Director of Player Personnel 

Champ Kelly - Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel

Terry Fontenot - Saints Director of Pro Scouting

George Paton - Vikings Assistant General Manager

Of those 5 Fontenot, Kelly and Fitterer can all be considered for the Assistant GM role as well bc it would be a promotion for them. People are forgetting that they still need to replace Heimerdinger. Of those 3 I think Fontenot and Fiterrer are more suited to want that job bc they are not as highly touted as Kelly. Although there was some speculation that Kelly might be willing to jump into an Assistant GM job if offered. A team of Douglas and Kelly makes sense bc of their history with Gase and that may be what the Jets are hoping for. Just thought I'd throw that out there. 

Good points, you forget that Heimerdinger was let go also

While are certainly multiple positions to fill, with these guys all under contract to their current teams, they could still be blocked from taking any other position.  There is no general "promotion" rule in the NFL, neither for coaching nor front office positions.  It is only specifically head coaching and GM positions that teams are required to allow their lower-level staff to interview for and take.  Everything else is basically considered equal by league rules, mostly to keep team's from poaching from each other just by having higher-level titles while essentially doing the same jobs, such as tacking "assistant head coach" onto their title.  So just as we've seen position coaches get blocked out from interviewing for coordinator positions, the same can be done for any of these going for an Assistant GM position.  Do we not remember the Eagles blocking the Jets' pursuit of DeFilippo 2 years ago?  It's all the same thing.

Now granted, there are plenty of teams that will allow their staff to pursue positions that are theoretically higher, even if it does not meet the NFL's qualifications, simply as a general courtesy to their staff.  However, my only point is it's far from a guarantee, so while no one could blame the Jets if they tried to pull that off, they certainly can't be banking on it either.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It does

Ugh, they changed the promotion rules years ago. 

Houston was turned down when they wanted to interview Douglas for their GM job a year ago.  How?  That was a promotion.  Its not true anymore

5 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The Eagles were in the playoffs.

Thats true, good call.  But I think they could still block him.  Rule is, unless he's in his last year of his contract, they can block taking him away, unless he has total control of the roster.  An assistant wouldn't, so my thinking is he still can be blocked. 

59 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I would hope that the new gm would pick his own staff not have it hired for him by the Jets. That would be a** backwards and you know the Johnsons would never do something like that, right?

Theyve never done anything like that so why would they now?