[Mehta] Exclusive Look Inside the Jets Mess: A secret meeting, a reckless owner and a GM stabbed in the back

2 hours ago, slats said:

Some somewhat questionable moves, but also understandable. 

I agree that if you've decided you're done with your head coach, you should fire him during the season. But this was a topic of discussion last year, given the fact that there was no one on the Jets staff qualified to be the interim head coach. Who are you giving that to? Bates, Rodgers, or Boyer? It's not like Bowles employed a Gregg Williams. 

As for the perception, I also agree, it's not the best. But I also think that this is pretty common in pro sports, and not really a shock to anyone. These folks who believe they're qualified head coaching candidates expect themselves to succeed and expect to get fired if they don't. That's the business. 

And the last point: it's Mehta. Anyone paying attention knows the dude's in a sour mood and is putting an extra negative spin in every report. 

It’s a common practice in any environment.  You don’t leave a critical postion vacant or promote some just because if they’re not ready or you don’t have a plan b.  Companies do this all the time.  Someone has to keep the lights on.  Football actually has a luxury in that sense because the season has an end to it and you can use it to your favor the way CJ did with Bowles.  The only reason it’s even news is because it’s a public figure head and his job security was asked about in a press conference.  Otherwise, it’s an every day thing.  

• Upvote 1

Well I don't know how much of this is true, given the source, but that's a bad move on Johnson's part if it is.
You don't let your current HC twist in the wind and publicly lie about his job security/status while trying to woo the person who'd take his spot. It makes the job look unattractive because it paints the owner (and his underlings) as lying, backstabbing sneaks. 
If you're KK - and again, if any of this is true - how do you not look at the situation with Bowles, at the time of your interview, and not see how that could be your own future while the owner & GM are disingenuously smiling at you and shaking your hand whenever you cross paths? All the while they're interviewing behind your back and while everyone on the team knows the worst-kept secret of your upcoming dismissal?
If there's truth to it then, Mehta or not, it is newsworthy. The more intelligent thing to do is fire Bowles and start conducting interviews on the up & up. Of course still more intelligent would have been for him to start paying attention to the GM as well right away, which he candidly admitted recently he didn't do until 2019 after the Bowles firing. 

I’m
No defender of CJ by any means. I don’t like him overall and wish he would hire a damn President if the jets with football knowledge and experience, but I’ll add I’ve hired and fired over 100 people in my career. I’ve never fired someone and then started the interview process afterward.
Generally I would have the replacement chosen at minimum prior to dismissal in order to mitigate injury to the org.

Your point, while I understand it, can be looked at from the entirely opposite way. The idea that we are interviewing people behind the coaches back could be considered a negative or it can be looked at allowing a man to complete the 4th season without the humiliation of being ousted mid stream. That’s a very strong positive.

If the article is true and we preferred KK then he chose the cards over the Jets. KK didn’t mind that Keim has a very short leash as a GM and they just fired their coach after one season. Honestly what would you think is a more frightening landscape? The owner checking on potential candidates interest mid season or the previous HC getting fired after one year ? I’d probably say the latter.

Now, I’m not saying KK didn’t choose the cards over the Jets but my point is if he chose the unpredictability of the cards, it wasn’t because CJ reached out mid season.

Click Bait . 

I wish we had more than Mehta & Cimini covering us.

You can just feel they hate the team and not in a suffering fan way but in a "why did I get stuck with the Jets" way.

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I’m
No defender of CJ by any means. I don’t like him overall and wish he would hire a damn President if the jets with football knowledge and experience, but I’ll add I’ve hired and fired over 100 people in my career. I’ve never fired someone and then started the interview process afterward.
Generally I would have the replacement chosen at minimum prior to dismissal in order to mitigate injury to the org.

Your point, while I understand it, can be looked at from the entirely opposite way. The idea that we are interviewing people behind the coaches back could be considered a negative or it can be looked at allowing a man to complete the 4th season without the humiliation of being ousted mid stream. That’s a very strong positive.

If the article is true and we preferred KK then he chose the cards over the Jets. KK didn’t mind that Keim has a very short leash as a GM and they just fired their coach after one season. Honestly what would you think is a more frightening landscape? The owner checking on potential candidates interest mid season or the previous HC getting fired after one year ? I’d probably say the latter.

Now, I’m not saying KK didn’t choose the cards over the Jets but my point is if he chose the unpredictability of the cards, it wasn’t because CJ reached out mid season.

He chose the cards b/c of kyler.  

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Did you really post a link to a Manish article to generate hits for him so he is encouraged to do the same crap over and over again to the detriment of the team you root for? 

I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post the article.  I thought @Maxmanwarned against that in the past.  But I see he edited the post to include the article so I guess not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Two things we don't know that would be important to know-

• How much is Gase making per year?
  • Are the Jets willing to exceed Gase's per year salary for the new GM?

Pretty much nothing here that we need to know or can draw any conclusions from if we did.  It's nonsensical fan speak based on nothing.

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much nothing here that we need to know or can draw any conclusions from if we did.  It's nonsensical fan speak based on nothing.

As a fan, I'd like to know. Why do you think we keep landing neophyte GM's? 

11 hours ago, fullblast said:

I remember when it used to be about football.

WTF is this nonsense.

Welcome to the new "normal".  Just another shining example of the impact that "social media" has on our every day lives.  It has most impacted "journalism", as it has turned a once respectable profession, and "art" into a steaming pile of sh*t....

Almost makes "social disease" preferential to "social media".  At least social disease is fun at it's inception...

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That would galvanize Mehta even more.  Best for everyone to just ignore everything Mehta writes.  But we know there's no way that'll happen. 

true but tbh I can see Gase and Mehta going at it for quite a bit longer and this will probably be the more entertaining part of having Adam Gase around.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

this was more interesting

On the one hand, there’s no way they should squeeze Douglas if that’s the guy they knew Gase wanted to replace Macc with. On the other hand, you could definitely see them trying to nickel and dime Douglas because Jets.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just catching up on this, but we mostly agree that there’s not much in here that’s salacious other than the alleged targeting of Kliff Kingsbury?

i would qualify this article as a bunch of previously known information mixed in with a fair amount of personal agenda driven slander. i honestly dont see any investigative reporting here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He chose the cards b/c of kyler.  

Very possible. I heard on some show that they thought KK might have brought something like that up in the JEts interview. No real proof or anything. Just a discussion. But that would be an interesting reason for the Jets not hiring him. 

Seems odd though. I think Kyler declared for the draft after KK took the Cards HC job. 

If Douglas is the eventual hire, I think it bodes extremely well for Adam Gase's prospects in this hellhole job. He's already body-slammed the Jets beat writers into submission by simply answering their inane questions like an adult, and--more importantly--he's got the Johnson brothers under his boot, as well. Who knows how it will translate on the field, but there were real reasons to doubt that he'd be able to handle the media or our dope ownership considering the perception of him coming out of the Dolphins gig. He's surprised me with the way he's handled this past month, to be honest. I thought for sure he was going to have one of those awkward, super-defensive, Idzik-y press conferences by now, but he's methodically gone about his business and that's driving people like Manish crazy. It at least appears as though the team is responding to his coaching style--he didn't come in guns blazing and try to take over the locker room, but he's subtly sent the message that he's in charge by dumping Darron Lee and (imo) planting the story about being annoyed by Bell being Bell, which is a nice, cagey Parcellsian tone-setter. If he can manage to prop up this dumpster fire roster and get to 9-7 or so, the dude is going to basically own the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

These aren't semantics, they're cold hard facts.  As is the fact that Tennehill got worse (materially) under Gase, not better.  And if you think Cutler wasn't Gase's choice, you're kidding yourself.

Tannehill was never any good and if anything Gase made him look much better than he is. Can't make a FQB out of a JAG no matter how good of a HC/OC/(QB whisperer) you have.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

As a fan, I'd like to know. Why do you think we keep landing neophyte GM's? 

Why do we keep landing neophyte GMs?  You mean like pretty much every GM whos hired by a team?  How many experienced GMs get fired and are available to hire?  

What does what Gase makes have to do with it?  Nothing 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Douglas is the eventual hire, I think it bodes extremely well for Adam Gase's prospects in this hellhole job. He's already body-slammed the Jets beat writers into submission by simply answering their inane questions like an adult, and--more importantly--he's got the Johnson brothers under his boot, as well. Who knows how it will translate on the field, but there were real reasons to doubt that he'd be able to handle the media or our dope ownership considering the perception of him coming out of the Dolphins gig. He's surprised me with the way he's handled this past month, to be honest. I thought for sure he was going to have one of those awkward, super-defensive, Idzik-y press conferences by now, but he's methodically gone about his business and that's driving people like Manish crazy. It at least appears as though the team is responding to his coaching style--he didn't come in guns blazing and try to take over the locker room, but he's subtly sent the message that he's in charge by dumping Darron Lee and (imo) planting the story about being annoyed by Bell being Bell, which is a nice, cagey Parcellsian tone-setter. If he can manage to prop up this dumpster fire roster and get to 9-7 or so, the dude is going to basically own the Jets. 

Doesn't he already kind of own the Jets?  He hasn't coached a single game yet he got the GM fired, has been somewhat active as interim-GM, and is going to pick our next GM?  That almost sounds like "the next GM will be my puppet".  

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Tannehill was never any good and if anything Gase made him look much better than he is. Can't make a FQB out of a JAG no matter how good of a HC/OC/(QB whisperer) you have.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2012 24 MIA QB 17 16 16 7-9-0 282 484 58.3 3294 12 2.5 13 2.7 80 6.8 6.1 11.7 205.9 76.1 48.4 35 234 5.90 5.23 6.7 1 1 10
2013 25 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 355 588 60.4 3913 24 4.1 17 2.9 67 6.7 6.2 11.0 244.6 81.7 49.3 58 399 5.44 5.00 9.0 4 3 10
2014 26 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 392 590 66.4 4045 27 4.6 12 2.0 50 6.9 6.9 10.3 252.8 92.8 59.3 46 337 5.83 5.83 7.2 2 1 14
2015 27 MIA QB 17 16 16 6-10-0 363 586 61.9 4208 24 4.1 12 2.0 54 7.2 7.1 11.6 263.0 88.7 46.3 45 420 6.00 5.91 7.1 2 2 11

Tell me, how long will I have to wait till OUR QB can put up "was never any good" production like Tannehill did before Gase arrived in Miami? 

Also, please stop with the "Gase made him look better", that is just simply not factually accurate by any productive metric.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2018 21 NYJ QB 14 13 13 4-9-0 239 414 57.7 2865 17 4.1 15 3.6 76 6.9 6.1 12.0 220.4 77.6 47.9 30 204 5.99 5.24 6.8 1 1 7

Because if you tell me Gase will have Darnold putting up 60%+ comp. 4,200 yards passing, with 27 TD's to 12 or so INT's in 2019, I will be VERY Happy, and will extoll the virtues of Gase and Darnold as much as any homer would desire.  But till then, I have no plans to blow Gase here like so many others are doing.  Respect is earned.

Btw, today, it rings pretty hollow for Jets Fans to describe other teams QB's who put up numbers that would in fact qualify as the single greatest QB season in Jets HISTORY as "never any good". :-k

Maybe we should stfu about how "never any good" other teams QB's are till one of OURS puts up "never any good" numbers, at the f'ing least, eh?

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Beat me to it. How anyone could think posting a turd in response to a Mehta article in this day in age isn't considered racist is beyond me.

I was actually thinking "this article is a load of mealy mouthed crap." 

20 hours ago, batman10023 said:

our last 2 GMs got paid for a long time by the Jets for crappy performance.  getting 4 years to turn around a team and then a 2 year severance is pretty darn good.

Im not going to do the research but most GM and HCs get more than 4 years 

the fact they get severance is cold comfort if they become radioactive like Idzik 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Because if you tell me Gase will have Darnold putting up 60%+ comp. 4,200 yards passing, with 27 TD's to 12 or so INT's in 2019, I will be VERY Happy, and will extoll the virtues of Gase and Darnold as much as any homer would desire.  But till then, I have no plans to blow Gase here like so many others are doing.  Respect is earned.

Btw, today, it rings pretty hollow for Jets Fans to describe other teams QB's who put up numbers that would in fact qualify as the single greatest QB season in Jets HISTORY as "never any good". :-k

Tannehill didn't have a winning season until Gase took over.

Darnold putting up 60%+ comp. 4,200 yards passing, with 27 TD's to 12 or so INT's in 2019 is exactly what I expect.

Comparing other teams QB's to the trash the Jets put on the field in the past is a very low bar. I remember Geno be rated 34th best QB at one point and I had to explain to a co-worker that's there only 32 teams.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

2012 24 MIA QB 17 16 16 7-9-0 282 484 58.3 3294 12 2.5 13 2.7 80 6.8 6.1 11.7 205.9 76.1 48.4 35 234 5.90 5.23 6.7 1 1 10
2013 25 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 355 588 60.4 3913 24 4.1 17 2.9 67 6.7 6.2 11.0 244.6 81.7 49.3 58 399 5.44 5.00 9.0 4 3 10
2014 26 MIA QB 17 16 16 8-8-0 392 590 66.4 4045 27 4.6 12 2.0 50 6.9 6.9 10.3 252.8 92.8 59.3 46 337 5.83 5.83 7.2 2 1 14
2015 27 MIA QB 17 16 16 6-10-0 363 586 61.9 4208 24 4.1 12 2.0 54 7.2 7.1 11.6 263.0 88.7 46.3 45 420 6.00 5.91 7.1 2 2 11

Tell me, how long will I have to wait till OUR QB can put up "was never any good" production like Tannehill did before Gase arrived in Miami? 

Also, please stop with the "Gase made him look better", that is just simply not factually accurate by any productive metric.

2018 21 NYJ QB 14 13 13 4-9-0 239 414 57.7 2865 17 4.1 15 3.6 76 6.9 6.1 12.0 220.4 77.6 47.9 30 204 5.99 5.24 6.8 1 1 7

Maybe we should stfu about how "never any good" other teams QB's are till one of OURS puts up "never any good" numbers, at the f'ing least, eh?

it's the offseason, you are suppose to have hope for your favorite team.

it's entertainment.  it's suppose to bring you enjoyment.  

18 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Yeah I never got this criticism it’s like Gase was supposed to turn sh-tty players like Tannehill, Moore and a 38 year old retired Cutler into better than Brady

• Upvote 1