[Mehta] Exclusive Look Inside the Jets Mess: A secret meeting, a reckless owner and a GM stabbed in the back

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, C Johnson was looking into replacing Bowles DURING the season?  Trying to get a jump on other teams that would start looking for replacement HCs at the end of the season?

What a dumb ass.  What a reckless owner?  For being proactive?  

What a pointless and stupid article.  

Well I don't know how much of this is true, given the source, but that's a bad move on Johnson's part if it is.

You don't let your current HC twist in the wind and publicly lie about his job security/status while trying to woo the person who'd take his spot. It makes the job look unattractive because it paints the owner (and his underlings) as lying, backstabbing sneaks. 

If you're KK - and again, if any of this is true - how do you not look at the situation with Bowles, at the time of your interview, and not see how that could be your own future while the owner & GM are disingenuously smiling at you and shaking your hand whenever you cross paths? All the while they're interviewing behind your back and while everyone on the team knows the worst-kept secret of your upcoming dismissal?

If there's truth to it then, Mehta or not, it is newsworthy. The more intelligent thing to do is fire Bowles and start conducting interviews on the up & up. Of course still more intelligent would have been for him to start paying attention to the GM as well right away, which he candidly admitted recently he didn't do until 2019 after the Bowles firing. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’ll be honest, I got to the first 4 words and quit. I wish there was a way that Gase could freeze this guy out. Make it to where he isn’t allowed at practices, PR conferences, all that and more.

That would galvanize Mehta even more.  Best for everyone to just ignore everything Mehta writes.  But we know there's no way that'll happen. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well I don't know how much of this is true, given the source, but that's a bad move on Johnson's part if it is.

You don't let your current HC twist in the wind and publicly lie about his job security/status while trying to woo the person who'd take his spot. It makes the job look unattractive because it paints the owner (and his underlings) as lying, backstabbing sneaks. 

If you're KK - and again, if any of this is true - how do you not look at the situation with Bowles, at the time of your interview, and not see how that could be your own future while the owner & GM are disingenuously smiling at you and shaking your hand whenever you cross paths? All the while they're interviewing behind your back and while everyone on the team knows the worst-kept secret of your upcoming dismissal?

If there's truth to it then, Mehta or not, it is newsworthy. The more intelligent thing to do is fire Bowles and start conducting interviews on the up & up. Of course still more intelligent would have been for him to start paying attention to the GM as well right away, which he candidly admitted recently he didn't do until 2019 after the Bowles firing. 

Some somewhat questionable moves, but also understandable. 

I agree that if you've decided you're done with your head coach, you should fire him during the season. But this was a topic of discussion last year, given the fact that there was no one on the Jets staff qualified to be the interim head coach. Who are you giving that to? Bates, Rodgers, or Boyer? It's not like Bowles employed a Gregg Williams. 

As for the perception, I also agree, it's not the best. But I also think that this is pretty common in pro sports, and not really a shock to anyone. These folks who believe they're qualified head coaching candidates expect themselves to succeed and expect to get fired if they don't. That's the business. 

And the last point: it's Mehta. Anyone paying attention knows the dude's in a sour mood and is putting an extra negative spin in every report. 

• Upvote 1

Owner of team decides to fire crappy head coach and GM, seeks replacements.  That's the essence of it.
The rest of it is just Mehta's tantrum, as he stamps his little feet and pounds his little fists in frustration at being frozen out.

Not exactly. More like "Owner of team decides to fire crappy head coach. Has offered that new coach will have hire/fire power over GM. Hires new coach. Fires crappy GM. New coach leads search and will hire new GM with owners approval."

That's not good news to me. I want Gase focused on QB and Offense.

and?  so what if the jets had a 'secret' meeting to discuss bowles fate.  they could have fired bowles mid season but what would that prove?  just about everyone on the planet knew bowles was on his way out save making the playoffs.  and everyone on the planet knew that wasn't happening this past season.

maneesh is going out of his way (not that hard for him to do) to stir up something sinister.  he'd be right at home as one of mueller's cronies. the bottom line is this guy is a clown and there's nothing to be seen here.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

i.e. before three full years of actual experience seeing him as a Head Coach?

Think some opinions may have changed since then, after three bottom 10 Offenses?

WF, please read what I said. I never Gase is McVay, I said he "WAS" the popular, "up and coming" hot O coordinator name, BEFORE McVay turned into that the following year.  Did Gase forget how to coach Offense?  LOL. Gase WAS the 35 year old whiz kid teams were looking at at the time. 

Lets give Mcvay Tannehill, Matt Moore, or a washed up, out of retirement Cutler and see how much of a genius he is...lol 

Whatever, you prefer to be the debater of semantics. I'm not going to parse words in that manner on a Football fan board. Cheers!

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've got it right. It seems pretty straight forward. 

On the site, in 2016, their expected w/l record was 7.6-8.4. They finished 10-6. If that's not finishing better than their projected totals -if, in fact, it's doing worse- I'd appreciate it if you could explain that to me. Thanks. 

Pythagorean record is based on points scored and points allowed, after they have been scored and allowed. It only exists retrospectively. It is not an expectation or projection of performance, it is simply a different measure of the same actual performance reflected by the w/l record. It doesn't mean Gase got a 7.6-win team to perform like a 10-win team. It means they did in fact perform like a 7.6-win team. Whatever your point was is facepalm wrong.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, C Johnson was looking into replacing Bowles DURING the season?  Trying to get a jump on other teams that would start looking for replacement HCs at the end of the season?

What a dumb ass.  What a reckless owner?  For being proactive?  

What a pointless and stupid article.  

Thank you.   

This makes me have even more respect for C.J. and disdain for anyone who would leak this type of garbage information to this clown. 

This article is written in bad faith. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you.   

This makes me have even more respect for C.J. and disdain for anyone who would leak this type of garbage information to this clown. 

Everyone makes their share of mistakes, some more that others.

This isnt that case, sometimes the whining needs to just stop.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i mean this is just badly written....how does this guy have a job in big boy media?

Journalism is a dying profession.

People only want to believe in what they want to believe in.

They don't want to be told otherwise

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

WF, please read what I said. I never Gase is McVay, I said he "WAS" the popular, "up and coming" hot O coordinator name, BEFORE McVay turned into that the following year.  Did Gase forget how to coach Offense?  LOL. Gase WAS the 35 year old whiz kid teams were looking at at the time. 

Lets give Mcvay Tannehill, Matt Moore, or a washed up, out of retirement Cutler and see how much of a genius he is...lol 

Whatever, you prefer to be the debater of semantics. I'm not going to parse words in that manner on a Football fan board. Cheers!

Excuses, excuses. 

Gase may "have been" whatever, I honestly don;t care what he was years ago, it's what is is today that counts. 

Today he's a 23-25 Coach, with 24th, 25th and 31st rated Offenses under his resume.

These aren't semantics, they're cold hard facts.  As is the fact that Tennehill got worse (materially) under Gase, not better.  And if you think Cutler wasn't Gase's choice, you're kidding yourself.

None of this means he won't succeed here.  But it should at least temper the over the top insanity.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Pythagorean record is based on points scored and points allowed, after they have been scored and allowed. It only exists retrospectively. It is not an expectation or projection of performance, it is simply a different measure of the same actual performance reflected by the w/l record. It doesn't mean Gase got a 7.6-win team to perform like a 10-win team. It means they did in fact perform like a 7.6-win team. Whatever your point was is facepalm wrong.

Outside of your concluding sentence, I get that. So he was coaching bad teams, and won more games than he should've every year. The Pythagorean model suggests that shouldn't happen. That if you win more than you should one year, you should regress the following year. He won more than he should've three years running. Is that luck? Or is that putting bad teams in a position to win with some consistency? I'd suggest it just may be the latter. We thought every one of those teams were gonna be really bad, then they went 5-1 against the Jets. 

We saw Rex overachieve with the 8-8 Geno Jets, then drop below the projection the following year. That's the norm. You feel there's nothing to be said to win above that projection consistently? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm not sure how this would affect another candidate for the simple reason if you come here and win with what is shaping up as a very good roster with a very promising young QB are there any worries about this happening to you ? Also I'm pretty sure every owner in the NFL is an honest Billionaire and has been conducting themselves that way their entire lives I mean how else would you become a Billionaire other than inheriting everything you own like the Johnsons. Also we don't know how much effort Bowles actually put into the Job. His demeanor suggests he just was not as passionate as maybe the Johnsons thought he was maybe they were upset about that. I have no problem at all with how Chris decided to find his new coach if this article was true I have no issue with that either and the first thing I would do is tell that little bitch Mehta who turns the Jets into a soap opera every chance he gets to stay the hell out of my building and your inside info days are over.

Sperm just to be clear I understand exactly what you are saying you are taking the classy route .....  I just don't think you should ever expect that type of behavior From Billionaires that were born with a Silver spoon's in their mouths  or the ruthless self made Billionaires who don't give a flying **** what you me Metha or the NFL think

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I felt the same way reading it.  I also felt (I admit I'm biased) that it reinforces my belief that CJ and Woody have no football instincts, rely too much on the opinions of others and are constantly being played...

Im sorry I stopped at the beginning where his conclusion was that fans are starting to worry question CJ leadership because he started looking for more experienced coaches.....well not sure rest of that sentence cause i had to stop.

Seriously WTF is this guy talking about??? Fans love the fact we got rid of those bums and started in new direction. This reporter is so sad. what a ******* joke. I wish we could chance our beat reporters too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Outside of your concluding sentence, I get that. So he was coaching bad teams, and won more games than he should've every year. The Pythagorean model suggests that shouldn't happen. That if you win more than you should one year, you should regress the following year. He won more than he should've three years running. Is that luck? Or is that putting bad teams in a position to win with some consistency? I'd suggest it just may be the latter. We thought every one of those teams were gonna be really bad, then they went 5-1 against the Jets. 

We saw Rex overachieve with the 8-8 Geno Jets, then drop below the projection the following year. That's the norm. You feel there's nothing to be said to win above that projection consistently? 

About as much as there is to be said of the coin-flipping ability of a guy who manages to throw heads a whole three times in a row. This is just totally appalling.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Excuses, excuses. 

Gase may "have been" whatever, I honestly don;t care what he was years ago, it's what is is today that counts. 

Today he's a 23-25 Coach, with 24th, 25th and 31st rated Offenses under his resume.

These aren't semantics, they're cold hard facts.  As is the fact that Tennehill got worse (materially) under Gase, not better.  And if you think Cutler wasn't Gase's choice, you're kidding yourself.

None of this means he won't succeed here.  But it should at least temper the over the top insanity.  

I thought he was 0-0??

So KK wouldn’t come here because the owner might fire him if he sucks? Coaches get fired all the time. This is ridiculous. Getting fired mid season is not a good look at all for a coach. It is much more respectful to him and the players to allow the coach to finish out the season even if it’s known he’s going to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is just totally appalling.

Lol, cool. 

Football is different than baseball. Applying a baseball algorithm to football requires tweaking and many grains of salt. Coaching is a much bigger factor in football. Over three years, he outperformed in the w-l column by five games, overachieving each single year. That's more than beating the coin flip odds. And he did it with limited QB talent. 

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I thought he was 0-0??

He is, here.  Same as whatshisface is, in AZ.

And to be clear, while his poor resume as a Head Coach is worthy of discussion, we should judge him on how he does here.

Which again should temper the insanity because he hasn't done anything here yet.

If you're looking for inconsistency, you're not going to find it.

Gase is our coach, like him or not.  Any feeling on him can only be judged by what he's done in the past, good (Manning that one time) and bad (Miami). 

But we should reserve real judgement for when he starts doing stuff here.  Seems fair to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The comments to Breer are solid on that tweet thread. This is really a thin story about things that happen all of the time. By the standard set in the article, every HC or GM who has ever been fired was stabbed in the back. Unless not one owner or GM firing someone ever reached out to an agent or candidate before manish thinks is appropriate.

I heard Ross Tucker talking about this today and he said this is pretty much business as usual in an NFL org. It’s just never really reported because there isn’t really a story. He said the only story is because it’s the jets who have been dysfunctional over the years. He said take this story and lay every detail on the patriots and it would be like “yeah. Ok. The owner reached out to a potential candidate to gauge interest. Seems normal”.
Lol

I can’t wait till the guy is hired so this type of thing can go away.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

He is, here.  Same as whatshisface is, in AZ.

And to be clear, while his poor resume as a Head Coach is worthy of discussion, we should judge him on how he does here.

Which again should temper the insanity because he hasn't done anything here yet.

If you're looking for inconsistency, you're not going to find it.

Gase is our coach, like him or not.  Any feeling on him can only be judged by what he's done in the past, good (Manning that one time) and bad (Miami). 

But we should reserve real judgement for when he starts doing stuff here.  Seems fair to me.

You are not the boss of me!  I shall not temper my insanity.