..18-game schedule ? ? ?

18 game regular season, elimination of pre-season games, and materially expanded rosters (all of whom are active game-day), would be the best change the NFL could possibly make IMO.

My fear is they do only one (18 games) without the others (eliminate preseasons, or expand the rosters and actives).

Personally I only do all three, or nothing.

5 hours ago, slats said:

I don't know about "dramatically," but it would seem that expanding the rosters would be both wise and another solid selling point to the union. Just adding three players to each team would mean nearly 100 new $500k/year jobs. Ninety-six guys who wouldn't have to schlep to the CFL or XFL or some other straight job to eke out a living instead of making real money in the NFL. That's something the union would have to take into serious consideration. 

Keep in mind that the additional $50,000,000 salary  will be coming out of the current union members 47%.  Of course the additional 2 games will drive more income.  

Depends how the players look at it from a "what's in it for me" angle.

An expanded PS might be an option

19 hours ago, August said:

I don’t mind if they expanded the playoffs. But no dice on a 18 game schedule. 

Why?  It's more football to watch.  It might cause an expanded playoffs.  And it will probably mean the Superbowl will be before Presidents' Day (meaning you don't have to worry about waking up early the next day).  

While speaking to reporters Monday in Buffalo, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he’d be open to decreasing the number of preseason games.This isn’t a new line of thinking from Goodell, but he said Monday that he has talked to coaches who think four preseason games are too many. And Goodell questioned the value that four preseason games have to fans.

This will all be up for discussion when the NFL’s current collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2020 season. And there’s a good chance the owners, always seeing green, would want an extra regular season game or two, in exchange for shrinking the preseason.But from the perspective of the preseason alone, there is zero legitimate reason for teams to play four games. From the most practical standpoint, coaches see enough of roster-fringe players in practice that they can make an assessment on them in three preseason games.

So if fans don’t care about the preseason — or at least not four preseason games — and coaches don’t need more than three (or two?) games to assess their players, then what is the point of continuing with a four-game preseason schedule that provides more risk than reward?Goodell seems ever closer to finding the right answer to that question. But it’s likely we’ll have to endure two more four-game preseason schedules, in 2019 and 2020, before any potential changes are made, during CBA negotiations after the 2020 season.

>       https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/06/nfl-rumors-roger-goodell-says-he-might-shrink-the-preseason-schedule-and-hed-be-right-to-do-it.html

11 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I think 16 is plenty, but I won’t complain about more football. 

Also would be thrilled to get rid of 1 of the preseason games. 3 is perfect 

agreed !  :cool:

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

11 hours ago, BroadwayBen said:

I think 16 is plenty, but I won’t complain about more football. 

Also would be thrilled to get rid of 1 of the preseason games. 3 is perfect 

Here is the thing tho, it's not 16.  It's 20.  

Playing 18 real games and either no Preseasons or as few as possible is better.  Better for players, better for fans, better for the product.

Combined with a reasonable expansion of the roster (a safety move) and making all players on the roster active at all times (because why not?, also safety) and reducing the number of total games player is a win/win/win.

Now, as the new Commissioner of the NFL, my next trick will be returning the Draft to a Saturday + Sunday event, eliminating Thursday night football and disenfranchising the Patriots so I can replace them with a team in Richmond VA.

When NFL owners proposed during the sport's last set of labor negotiations to cut the preseason and lengthen the regular season from 16 to 18 games per team, players wanted no part of the idea. They called an 18-game regular season unsafe for players, rejected the proposal and threatened to walk away from the bargaining table if the owners continued to pursue the matter.The league and owners relented, scrapping the measure and saying they never would lengthen the regular season without the players' approval.

Now, with a new set of negotiations on the next collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association at hand, some owners again want the league to try to secure an 18-game season. So the question becomes: Does a longer regular season remain a negotiating non-starter for the players?

The answer is: perhaps.

There are some indications that nothing has changed about the players' view toward an 18-game season."As far as I'm concerned, the attitude about that is exactly the same as it was the last time around," said one veteran player with knowledge of NFLPA planning.It's very clear that an 18-game season is, at best, a tough sell for the owners to the players. Players took the position the last time around that even if the total number of preseason and regular season games is kept at 20, the rigors of playing two additional regular season games far outweighed the benefit of having two preseason games eliminated. The NFLPA was proud of the player-safety measures that it secured in the 10-year CBA struck in 2011, with cutbacks on practice-field hitting and restrictions on offseason practices. That would seem to make it unlikely that the union would change course this time around.But some on the players' side say that the NFLPA at least should listen to what the owners might have to say on a longer regular season.

"There's never anything that's a non-starter," veteran agent Peter Schaffer said. "It's an issue of how clever you can get, how creative you can get, how you can morph the issues."Schaffer said he would have player-safety research conducted to see if it would be feasible to have each team play a 17th regular season game (perhaps at a neutral site) while cutting the preseason in half and also giving each team a second bye week during the regular season. That would provide two additional weekends of regular season games."I think you would need to do a study on all of this," Schaffer said in a phone interview. "I'm all for player safety. At the same time, if there's a way to increase revenues and maintain the same level of player safety, let's do it."NFLPA executives and Eric Winston, the longtime offensive lineman who serves as the union's president, did not respond to requests for comment.

It's early in the process. Two seasons remain on the current CBA. Talks are underway, but there's no indication that the two sides have begun to deal in earnest with the difficult issues. It's not even clear yet if those owners who want an 18-game season will be able to convince other owners and the league to pursue that intently at the bargaining table.But there is plenty of incentive for the owners to want an 18-game season. Two additional regular season games could provide a significant revenue boost, particularly in the sport's next set of network TV contracts. The owners' fallback plan if the players balk once again at an 18-game season could be to expand the NFL playoffs from 12 to 14 teams, giving the networks two extra first-round postseason games per year. That could be more palatable to the NFLPA. But some owners are intent on pushing for the 18-game regular season first.

More revenue for the sport automatically means more money for the players under the salary cap system. There are other concessions the owners also could make to attempt to get the players to agree to a longer regular season. Rosters could be expanded, meaning more jobs for players. Some observers have suggested a system by which each team would play 18 games but each player would be limited to 16 games, adding coaching strategy in terms of which players would sit out which games.Owners seem willing to make concessions to the union on the commissioner's authority in player discipline and the sport's marijuana policy, although it's not clear if those issues would be linked at the bargaining table to an 18-game season.There is much to play out. Already, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has returned to publicly questioning the need for four preseason games, a possible sign of the league's intent to pursue a shortened preseason and longer regular season. Will the players be willing to listen to any of it? That remains to be seen.

As a fan I'd love it. As far as players go there will be major push back. Too much wear and tear.

The owners are delusional if they think they can sell this to the players by revising their pot policy.

Either way they should shorten pre-season. 

The Jets have announced their 2019 home game themes and giveaways.

Each home game this season will have a theme to it. Some games will feature a giveaway prize. In the preseason, the Jets have two home games against the New Orleans Saints and Philadelphia Eagles. Against the Saints, it will be Youth Football Night. Against the Eagles, it will be Fantasy Football Night.As for the regular season, the Jets will kick off their home opener against the Buffalo Bills and it will be a green-out game. They will also be giving out Gotham Green flags as well. On Monday night against the Cleveland Browns in Week 2, it’ll be First Responders Night and the giveaway will be a Stealth Black rally towel. The Jets do not return home until Week 6 against the Dallas Cowboys when it’ll be the NFL 100 celebration for the league’s 100th year. They will be handing out Spotlight White rally towels to go along with the festivities as well.

Moving along to Week 7 against New England, it’ll be Kevin Mawae’s Hall of Fame night as he was finally inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this past year. He will receive his Hall of Fame ring that night as well. After a couple road games, the Jets will return home for a showdown with the New York Giants where it’ll be Salute to Service Day. In Week 12 the Oakland Raiders come to town and the Jets will host Star Wars Day to go along with a Star Wars player bobblehead giveaway.New York closes out its home slate with Kids Day against the Miami Dolphins in Week 14 and then Fan Appreciation Day against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 16.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/13/jets-announce-2019-home-game-themes-and-giveaways/