Williams on OTAs ... some very telling comments

50 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So he admits he can't self motivate for millions of dollars? ?

So you're not seeing the effect a HC has on his players ? Some HC's have the ability to pull out the most from players and don't rely on players self motivation what do you think makes great HC's great and demand the most from their players or anyone for that matter ? 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

The head coach sets the tone for the team.  I'm so glad we never have to watch Bowles standing on the sideline like an emotionless statue again.  Show some energy, show some fire, fight for your team.  It really does rub off on your players when you show that you care.

Is this the Bowles you don't wanna see anymore?CEE0F4DA-7C7A-4AA4-B740-D73C72336CC0.jpeg.1d83c1ffa9438bb6358b1236e43028b5.jpeg167A93EE-0898-41E4-943B-8C5828C41955.jpeg.3a0043b12e8c0cba64a09579fc94532b.jpeg

I use them as wallpaper on my laptop so I can get a good laugh every time I fire it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I've learned to take talk in the offseason for what it is. 

Leo especially is doing some serious CYA, in the hopes of getting his next big new deal.

Hell, he may actually be impactful this year if he's really motivated.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Leonard Williams is full of sh*t...  Has a lot of Jonathan Vilma in him.  Locker room lawyer.  Back seat  "leader".  Always had  "insightful" comments to make after the latest ass whuppin...   Saw alot of that in camp last summer.  Thinks he's still in college...  Time to grow up!!

That being said, his performance on the field WILL improve this year.  "Daddy" Greg Williams will see to it....

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

Is this the Bowles you don't wanna see anymore?CEE0F4DA-7C7A-4AA4-B740-D73C72336CC0.jpeg.1d83c1ffa9438bb6358b1236e43028b5.jpeg167A93EE-0898-41E4-943B-8C5828C41955.jpeg.3a0043b12e8c0cba64a09579fc94532b.jpeg

I use them as wallpaper on my laptop so I can get a good laugh every time I fire it up.

I'm proud to be the producer of that moniker, cigar store Indian.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Meh, I remember Mo and Sheldon talking about how Bowles training camp was like boot camp intense and the toughest offseason program ever.

Yeah that really got us far didn't it ? Looking forward to a fresh approach with Gase.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I don't really care about intensity or difficulty of drills.  I care about attention to detail with practices, and preparing players for situations.  I was much more excited about walkie talkie for Darnold and video screens to see a play, and break it down. 

This. It seems like the team is embracing a more modern approach and incorporating more gameday elements into practice. The intensity of the practices is nice to hear, but much of that could come down to the coaching staff being new and could fade or wear thin. The other stuff is what could help us separate from the rest of the pack (aside from, you know, talent).

I'm hopeful that if we land Douglas this type of forward thinking will start to permeate throughout the organization, especially in the scouting department and front office at large.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Meh, I remember Mo and Sheldon talking about how Bowles training camp was like boot camp intense and the toughest offseason program ever.

I also remember Williams saying that if Bowles is gone he might as well play somewhere else.

It's almost as if players generally say good things about their current coaches/situations in the media.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

This. It seems like the team is embracing a more modern approach and incorporating more gameday elements into practice. The intensity of the practices is nice to hear, but much of that could come down to the coaching staff being new and could fade or wear thin. The other stuff is what could help us separate from the rest of the pack (aside from, you know, talent).

I'm hopeful that if we land Douglas this type of forward thinking will start to permeate throughout the organization, especially in the scouting department and front office at large.

The team should get even more into technology, because they always seem like a step behind.  I read stories about how the Pats (and some other teams) were using VR in trying to train QBs and have them make reads.  

We.......heard about Bryce Petty learning the playbook from Madden.  I know the Bears were also doing it for their QBs.  

I think for a long time, the Jets haven't done anything to really set themselves apart.  So, pretty much anything breaking from the norm is a welcome sight.  One of the issues I had with Bowles was this mantra of competition, without realizing the effect on team building.  It makes more sense at like a position like CB, where it's about reaction and athleticism, so you can see where players jump up on the totem pole.  It makes no sense in positions that depend on other players to play off of you.  For example, a 3-4 DL is more likely taking up blockers, freeing up linebackers.  If the DL doesn't do a good job, then the linebacker faces a much tougher obstacle towards the QB.  Therefore, the performance of the DL and a LB rushing the passer is intertwined.  

Instead, Bowles preached it across the board, which was stupid, especially concerning the QB position.  I distinctively remember when Gailey was hired, he pretty much said Geno was the starter, because it made the most sense to get him the snaps.  Then Bowles decided that his whole mantra was competition, and make everything a competition, including QB learning a new system.  That's the kind of stupidity that bothered me with Bowles, moreso than his looks during the game.  I understand that the 'No position is safe" approach does work in team settings because it lights a fire under everyone, but you also have to understand that sometimes you need cohesion at your base to build a team.  

"The Eagles were an early adopter of Zebra Technologies’ RFID tracking chips at their practice facility in 2014, and a Zebra rep confirmed that installation remained active. About one-third of NFL teams use Zebra in practice

The use of tracking data to monitor an athlete’s rehab and guide return-to-play decisions is nothing new but specifics rarely emerge in the public domain. It’s no surprise that the Eagles are tapping into this resource, given their reputation as an analytically-savvy organization. At February’s SportTechie State of the Industry event, president of NFL Players Inc. Ahmad Nassar said he’d heard only two of the 32 NFL teams actually used the Zebra data disseminated by the league.

Asked the identities of the two, Nassar replied with a laugh, “They may have played in the Super Bowl, I don’t know.” That was before the NFL began distributing the entire league-wide data setsto each club—which they’re also starting to do with ball chip data—but the point remains that the Eagles are again ahead of the curve with tech"

https://www.sporttechie.com/eagles-use-rfid-tracking-data-to-monitor-carson-wentzs-rehab/

It bodes well (if we do pick Douglas) that he was exposed to these kind of things in Philly because it's what helps set teams apart.  I'm not saying it's the only answer to do so, but using technology to an advantage by being ahead of the curve.  All these years, I felt the Jets were behind the curve.  

This off-season has been a drastic change from that approach.  They hired a coach that actually knows offense, when the league is trending more and more towards offense.  They fired an old school GM and geared in towards some of the younger guys, which shows some improvement in their line of thinking.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think this the "best shape of his life" talk for coaches, whenever they come in to a new place.  

I remember when Bowles came in, it was a lot of "No more Rex guys, everything is competition.  It doesn't matter, Bowles couldn't care less about your production, you show up in practice, you have a shot" type stories suggesting Ryan had been too much of a player's coach.  

In the end, Bowles was a worse coach.   

I don't really care about intensity or difficulty of drills.  I care about attention to detail with practices, and preparing players for situations.  I was much more excited about walkie talkie for Darnold and video screens to see a play, and break it down. 

For example, the Elijah McGuire one handed catch was not a great play design.  They essentially had two receivers converge to the same spot Shottenheimer style, and McGuire just happened to make a great play on it.  I'd rather them see that play on review and correct it, than yell and scream louder, or be more winded.  

Great post. 

I despised Todd Bowles because he was an awful COACH. The team under him was always ill prepared, played like a sputtering 12 cylinder classic jaguar and continued to make the same bonehead mistakes at crucial moments of the game for his entire 4 years. Terrible slow starts, defensive breakdowns before the half & the end of games, high number of presnap penalties. 

Hey! Guess what? Instead of running stupid laps after mental eras, how about f*cking correcting them by learning the fundamentals of the damn game. At least Gase is a thinker. Football is like chess & Bowles was checkers player. Jets have some smart offensive players here, (Anderson? not sure about that but he's fast & only asked to run 3/4 routes). Bell & Ty are great finding open spaces, Herndon could really shine this year, Quincy & Crowder are both intelligent guys. Most importantly Sam is like Einstein compared to Sanchez & Geno. 

So I expect to see some cohesiveness with this offense finally. Guys in a huddle knowing their jobs & even discussing what they're seeing from the defense with Gase & altering game plans DURING a game to take advantage. It's been a long time coming, we've easily been the most boring offense in the entire league.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

So you're not seeing the effect a HC has on his players ? Some HC's have the ability to pull out the most from players and don't rely on players self motivation what do you think makes great HC's great and demand the most from their players or anyone for that matter ? 

"In the rush to make a point he'd been waiting all day to make..somewhere..anywhere....he looked up and saw it go over his head..."

20 hours ago, JiF said:

I know you are probably being sarcastic but pee-wee football would have been tough on Mo

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I know you are probably being sarcastic but pee-wee football would have been tough on Mo

Well, I'm just quoting them from that time frame so I'm not being sarcastic at all.  

Mo's motivation was never in question under Rex. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

Great post. 

I despised Todd Bowles because he was an awful COACH. The team under him was always ill prepared, played like a sputtering 12 cylinder classic jaguar and continued to make the same bonehead mistakes at crucial moments of the game for his entire 4 years. Terrible slow starts, defensive breakdowns before the half & the end of games, high number of presnap penalties. 

Hey! Guess what? Instead of running stupid laps after mental eras, how about f*cking correcting them by learning the fundamentals of the damn game. At least Gase is a thinker. Football is like chess & Bowles was checkers player. Jets have some smart offensive players here, (Anderson? not sure about that but he's fast & only asked to run 3/4 routes). Bell & Ty are great finding open spaces, Herndon could really shine this year, Quincy & Crowder are both intelligent guys. Most importantly Sam is like Einstein compared to Sanchez & Geno. 

So I expect to see some cohesiveness with this offense finally. Guys in a huddle knowing their jobs & even discussing what they're seeing from the defense with Gase & altering game plans DURING a game to take advantage. It's been a long time coming, we've easily been the most boring offense in the entire league.

I agree, he just was not a good coach, partially because the team just didn't have an identity.  Say what you want with Rex, but that team was blue collar, run through a wall type team. Instead, Bowles practically was the substitute teacher who treated the kids like adults, which always meant that things didn't get accomplished.  

Bowles "system" works when he has great one on one match up guys.  Give him Patrick Peterson, Tyron Mathieu, Tony Jefferson and pass rush, and it works.  The problem is, give pretty much any defensive coordinator that kind of talent on the back and front end, and it works.  He couldn't do anything to actually elevate or scheme players into good positions here, because it was heavily dependent on certain positions being extraordinarily talented.  

His belief in his guys and older vets also bothered me, because he rarely knew how to get young players in and develop them.  Part of it is the dearth of talent from bad draft, but he didn't really develop anyone either.  

Adams:  Pretty much a consensus stud in the draft.  He's been very good, but for his draft status, he should have been a transitional star.  

Leo:  Consensus stud, and here we wonder if we should re-sign him.  

Lee:  A coverage LB, that never really developed at all.  

Shepard:  If he was a couple of years older, I think his Life Alert would have gone off because he was nowhere to be seen.

Hack/Petty:  Don't get me started

Pick any receiver:  Anderson developed, because his specialty is coach proof.  He just ran go routes at the start, and it's his speed that allows him space underneath now.  

Stories of how they didn't prepare for Baker Mayfield or Barkley last year is baffling, because that's pretty much right on the coach.  What exactly were they preparing for?  You hear the good teams pull of a great play, and stories on how they practiced this obscure play in training camp, so they were ready for it.  Bowles?  Yeah, let's completely skip over the back up QBs as someone to prepare for.  He maybe someone that's great at calling plays but he sure isn't a good at coaching players.  

I remember a specific situation from the Mayfield game.  They were trying to make this last ditch effort to come back in that game.  Darnold gets a long completion to I believe Pryor somewhere near the 35/40 yard line under a minute with no time outs.  Pass right around 55 second mark.  

What do you do? You spike the ball.  You have a rookie QB in his third game trying to lead a last minute comeback against a talented defense.  You spike with about 42 seconds or so, gather together and come up with a play.  The down doesn't matter.  It's 4 down situations, and it if it takes you more than 3 tries to get 10 yards, you are most likely losing anyway.  You spike, you gather yourself, and call a play.  

What do the Jets do? They let Darnold run the hurry up, costs about 10 seconds as he calls the play and players line up, and gets sacked, followed by an interception.  It's these kinds of small details that bother me, because there is no attention to detail at all.  There isn't a "Oh, in this situation, do X" type of thinking.  It's a situation where the 4 downs aren't important, because the time on the clock supersedes it.  

I think the offense is going to take a massive leap with Gase, partially because his system is at least modern and schemes guys open.  It's not a total QB guru like system they made it out to be when he was younger, but it's much much better than the last two years.  However, I think the biggest addition is the ability of a coach to actually coach and understand situations.  

If he stays healthy, the guy that I really think is going to be a surprise is Crowder.  He fits into the system perfectly as the underneath guy, that has enough speed to go over the top.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:10 PM, TeddEY said:

I also remember Williams saying that if Bowles is gone he might as well play somewhere else.

It's almost as if players generally say good things about their current coaches/situations in the media.

No, I think it's whatever the **** the cigar store indian's supposed to mean. Also 'bbq culture.'

On 5/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, Matt39 said:

I thought McClendon’s comments regarding Bell to get to camp were interesting. What type of terrible teammate expects the highest paid player to show up?

It’s just voluntary dude.  Just cuz homeboy hasn’t played in two years, is getting a $17 million salary and has an established track record of divaness that’s no cause for concern!