Williams on OTAs ... some very telling comments

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

I agree, he just was not a good coach, partially because the team just didn't have an identity.  Say what you want with Rex, but that team was blue collar, run through a wall type team. Instead, Bowles practically was the substitute teacher who treated the kids like adults, which always meant that things didn't get accomplished.  

Bowles "system" works when he has great one on one match up guys.  Give him Patrick Peterson, Tyron Mathieu, Tony Jefferson and pass rush, and it works.  The problem is, give pretty much any defensive coordinator that kind of talent on the back and front end, and it works.  He couldn't do anything to actually elevate or scheme players into good positions here, because it was heavily dependent on certain positions being extraordinarily talented.  

His belief in his guys and older vets also bothered me, because he rarely knew how to get young players in and develop them.  Part of it is the dearth of talent from bad draft, but he didn't really develop anyone either.  

Adams:  Pretty much a consensus stud in the draft.  He's been very good, but for his draft status, he should have been a transitional star.  

Leo:  Consensus stud, and here we wonder if we should re-sign him.  

Lee:  A coverage LB, that never really developed at all.  

Shepard:  If he was a couple of years older, I think his Life Alert would have gone off because he was nowhere to be seen.

Hack/Petty:  Don't get me started

Pick any receiver:  Anderson developed, because his specialty is coach proof.  He just ran go routes at the start, and it's his speed that allows him space underneath now.  

Stories of how they didn't prepare for Baker Mayfield or Barkley last year is baffling, because that's pretty much right on the coach.  What exactly were they preparing for?  You hear the good teams pull of a great play, and stories on how they practiced this obscure play in training camp, so they were ready for it.  Bowles?  Yeah, let's completely skip over the back up QBs as someone to prepare for.  He maybe someone that's great at calling plays but he sure isn't a good at coaching players.  

I remember a specific situation from the Mayfield game.  They were trying to make this last ditch effort to come back in that game.  Darnold gets a long completion to I believe Pryor somewhere near the 35/40 yard line under a minute with no time outs.  Pass right around 55 second mark.  

What do you do? You spike the ball.  You have a rookie QB in his third game trying to lead a last minute comeback against a talented defense.  You spike with about 42 seconds or so, gather together and come up with a play.  The down doesn't matter.  It's 4 down situations, and it if it takes you more than 3 tries to get 10 yards, you are most likely losing anyway.  You spike, you gather yourself, and call a play.  

What do the Jets do? They let Darnold run the hurry up, costs about 10 seconds as he calls the play and players line up, and gets sacked, followed by an interception.  It's these kinds of small details that bother me, because there is no attention to detail at all.  There isn't a "Oh, in this situation, do X" type of thinking.  It's a situation where the 4 downs aren't important, because the time on the clock supersedes it.  

I think the offense is going to take a massive leap with Gase, partially because his system is at least modern and schemes guys open.  It's not a total QB guru like system they made it out to be when he was younger, but it's much much better than the last two years.  However, I think the biggest addition is the ability of a coach to actually coach and understand situations.  

If he stays healthy, the guy that I really think is going to be a surprise is Crowder.  He fits into the system perfectly as the underneath guy, that has enough speed to go over the top.  

Crowder has similar traits to Landry. I think Crowder was an immediate Gase target & he felt he could get as much out of Crowder as he did from Landry in the slot. Telling that Gase didn't pay Landry a monster contract, he's seen the turnover in the slot in New England & it just keeps performing.

Welker, Amendola, Edelman. When you have a QB that can pull the trigger, get a guy to run precise routes & get him the ball. I also think Gase will begin to utilize Burnett in the slot. He's got all the slot attributes you need. He runs good quick precise routes, he's got great hands & he's in tune with Sam. 

Burnett is my ultimate (Jericho Cotchery) sleeper Jet. He made some tremendous catches at the end of the year. The guy doesn't drop passes, hugely important in a controlled move the sticks offense. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s just voluntary dude.  Just cuz homeboy hasn’t played in two years, is getting a $17 million salary and has an established track record of divaness that’s no cause for concern!

I wish he showed up but it's really no big deal. Bell has been a RB in this league for years. He's no rookie. It's like this is a football. Run with football. Catch football & run. Easy peasy.

Dont forget Kacy Rogers' role in the debacle of a defense we have had the last 4 years.  Another coach with zero charisma who came here with very little experience with Xs and Os.  An awful hire that Bowles refused to fix.

• Upvote 2

On 5/30/2019 at 4:59 PM, jeremy2020 said:

So he admits he can't self motivate for millions of dollars? ?

Football is not an individual game. Practice is a necessary prep for games. Bowles ran lackadaisical practices with a lot of standing around.  New rules cut down on contact during practivces.  A smart coach figures ways to keep guys concentrated.  It definitely seems more lively and directed.  That is the way to do football.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Dont forget Kacy Rogers' role in the debacle of a defense we have had the last 4 years.  Another coach with zero charisma who came here with very little experience with Xs and Os.  An awful hire that Bowles refused to fix.

a buddy hire. At least Loggins has been hired as a coordinator elsewhere

16 hours ago, JiF said:

Well, I'm just quoting them from that time frame so I'm not being sarcastic at all.  

Mo's motivation was never in question under Rex. 

Coaches definitely can motivate players.  Maybe not so much personally but int he way they structure preparation

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s just voluntary dude.  Just cuz homeboy hasn’t played in two years, is getting a $17 million salary and has an established track record of divaness that’s no cause for concern!

Really.  Or that he's always done this and has always come into camp as well prepared or more prepared than anyone who went OTAs and was one of, if not the top player at his position.  

The imagined "divaness" trumps all.  

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

a buddy hire. At least Loggins has been hired as a coordinator elsewhere

Loggins is a poor OC but it doesnt really matter, Gase needs someone who can work with him and if Loggins can, then great.  

28 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really.  Or that he's always done this and has always come into camp as well prepared or more prepared than anyone who went OTAs and was one of, if not the top player at his position.  

The imagined "divaness" trumps all.  

My only problem is that this IS a new team for him and you'd think he'd like to make a good impression and get to know his new team mates.

22 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Loggins is a poor OC but it doesnt really matter, Gase needs someone who can work with him and if Loggins can, then great.  

As excited as I am about Williams as DC I'm just as non excited about Loggins as OC. With Gase there hopefully it will work out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

My only problem is that this IS a new team for him and you'd think he'd like to make a good impression and get to know his new team mates.

Getting ready for the season is what he is doing.  Hes already been with teammates a month or so ago and he'll be with them next week.  We're fans, we want him there.  In the end, none of this makes a bit of difference to the team

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:47 PM, Jetster said:

I'm proud to be the producer of that moniker, cigar store Indian.

Thought this was frowned upon here (judging by the reaction I got when I said it in the past)

• Sympathy 1