[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

On 5/29/2019 at 4:53 PM, DRJETS said:

Something never change in this board.  I remember four years ago like yesterday most posters here were gushing over the Jaguars coffee boy thinking he was behind their every moves.  Now this water boy kid is also supposed to be the Eagle behind the scene GM.  Probably the only difference between the two is that one couldn’t be seen without a coffee in his hand and the other without a water bottle.

Which means that no one can be allowed to like JDouglas's resume, what hes done and where hes been.

Makes sense.  

Are we allowed to like Darnold after so many liked Sanchez or is he off limits too?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which means that no one can be allowed to like JDouglas's resume, what hes done and where hes been.

Makes sense.  

Are we allowed to like Darnold after so many liked Sanchez or is he off limits too?

i think its presumptuous to even assume u know what goes into a GM's day to day, never mind what makes a good GM candidate. That being said, there are things about Douglas that make him attractive. fully understand this may all be an optical illusion, but as fans we only know what we know and hear what we hear.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i think its presumptuous to even assume u know what goes into a GM's day to day, never mind what makes a good GM candidate. That being said, there are things about Douglas that make him attractive. fully understand this may all be an optical illusion, but as fans we only know what we know and hear what we hear.

Which is why I said you should be allowed to like his resume.  That's all any of us have to go with.  He checks all the boxes that someone who hasn't been a GM can check and for a pretty long period of time.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Macagnan’s wide receiver draft picks are scary terrible 

Literally my dog would have drafted better 

Hey, if we're giving Douglas credit for drafting/signing guys when he wasn't the actual GM of the team, then Macc should get credit for drafting this WR:

hou_news_20181230_nfltexansvsjaguars_eri

• WTF? 1

Still waiting for the Jets to tweet out the picture of Douglas signing his contract at Florham Park.  Then I will believe it.  And they might even need to remove all napkins from the facility for a couple of days just to be sure.

Roflol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Lith said:

Still waiting for the Jets to tweet out the picture of Douglas signing his contract at Florham Park.  Then I will believe it.  And they might even need to remove all napkins from the facility for a couple of days just to be sure.

And supply this forum with a months supply of feminine napkins in case he doesn't sign.  

On 5/30/2019 at 8:28 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Sure. In hindsight. We may feel the same way about Barr in the future too, but the fact that they keep snubbing us is real. I don't know why we even reached out to that guy for a 3rd time. just gives the media trolls one more thing to use for the dysfunctional Jets narrative.

Antoine Winfield in 2004 was a huge kick in the nuts.  Vikings should have been personae non gratae after that.  But the Jets keep going back for more.  Just check out the video of past Jets negotiations with the vikings

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Like with any new GM hire, any of the good picks his former team made were because of him, and all the bad picks were because of someone else.

In fairness some say the opposite. Every good Ravens pick was Ozzie Newsome. Every bad pick was Joe Douglas.

It all depends on your a̶g̶e̶n̶d̶a̶ perspective.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Antoine Winfield in 2004 was a huge kick in the nuts.  Vikings should have been personae non gratae after that.  But the Jets keep going back for more.  Just check out the video of past Jets negotiations with the vikings

Exactly 

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

we are not going to agree. i think CJ is smarter then what the media is feeding us. people killed us on timing of the Macc firing...meanwhile here we are having our pick of top GM candidates with no one to compete against but our own ineptitude as a franchise (and dont kid yourself, these jobs are hard to turn down).

have a listen (should start at 4 minutes): 

Hey, I wanna believe and I'm hoping this is the big turn around like what happened when Kraft stole Bill from the Jets.  But as long as CJ, an owner who doesn't know football, insists on the HC and GM both report directly to him, I will have trouble accepting he is a mastermind. 

• Upvote 2

At this point they didn’t miss out on anything 

Just as we don’t know if Darnold is the real deal, we also can’t guarantee Saquon’s career isn’t derailed by injury. The latter has happened to many RBs.  If I can’t call the Barkley selection a bad pick, you can’t call it a good one or the right one either because of one great rookie season. We know too much about QB value vs RB value to suggest Gettleman got this right. Especiallysince he just took a Hackenberg-esque QB at 6.

Darnold and whatever RB will end up a better duo than Daniel Jones + Saquon. All Darnold has to do is be an above average QB to make that statement true.

• Upvote 1

So you had no problem with Bowles potentially getting Sam killed to prove a point that Mac sucked - Wow!!!

I had a big problem with it. Which is why I said that Bowles should have been fired mid season.

I’m also saying the mutiny was to be expected. Bowles knew he wasn’t gonna be here, so he had no compelling reason to protect Sam.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just as we don’t know if Darnold is the real deal, we also can’t guarantee Saquon’s career isn’t derailed by injury. The latter has happened to many RBs.  If I can’t call the Barkley selection a bad pick, you can’t call it a good one or the right one either because of one great rookie season. We know too much about QB value vs RB value to suggest Gettleman got this right. Especiallysince he just took a Hackenberg-esque QB at 6.

Darnold and whatever RB will end up a better duo than Daniel Jones + Saquon. All Darnold has to do is be an above average QB to make that statement true.

If they didn’t like Darnold like a lot of people Barkley was the right pick. He was the best player in the draft. 

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Who the hell knows who makes the decisions?

In 2013 we hired Idzik just because he was in the room when the Seahawks drafted Wilson and Sherman

The truth is no one can truly know what any of these guys will ultimately do once they're the one making final decisions, because none of them have ever actually done it.

That's why IMO I don't know why they aren't having a look at Reggie McKenzie. The guy was a GM before, so there's a real track record to go by, and he was fairly successful during his stint. But I digress.

These other people that they're considering are neophytes to being a GM. All you can go on is where they've been and what their role was there. 

As I've previously mentioned, Douglas being with the Eagles for a few years isn't as impressive to me as his 15 or so years with the Ravens. Not because I believe he was instrumental in their success during that period, but because it's where he cut his teeth. And what better front office is there to grow up in than Ozzie Newsome's?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not in position to be looking for a generational GM.  Just hopefully not a buffoon.  Please just give me a non-buffoon at GM and I'll be moderately happy.  Too much to ask?

I agree.

Gase isn't a generational coach.  Just get the sense his coaching style/ personality has a short life span.

If he can get them winning early he might be able to put together a legitimate run...but if things go wrong early it can get ugly..

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree.

Gase isn't a generational coach.  Just get the sense his coaching style/ personality has a short life span.

If he can get them winning early he might be able to put together a legitimate run...but if things go wrong early it can get ugly..

If things go wrong ANYWHERE in the NFL they get ugly. You are either winners or losers, there's no in between. Belichick was on the bubble in New England before a throw away 6th rounder was used on some tall out of shape backup QB. 

Luck also plays a huge part in success. Timing is everything. Gase goes from an oft injured QB to a 22 year old piece of clay he can mold that could transform his entire career. On top of that he ended up with easily a top 3 RB that fought his way out of Pittsburgh. Then the top defensive player in college football who could be the next Warren Sapp falls in our laps. 

While the media was killing CJ for the odd timing of firing Macc, because of that timing the Jets are interviewing at their own pace 4 top GM hopefuls who have all agreed to interview with us except the douche up in Minny who because he's refused us twice should not even have been given the opportunity but I digress. 

So we went from fans on this board saying "no one wants to work for the Jets", to having our choice of 4 guys from top organizations in this league, all with resumes of some success or who worked for very good mentors for years.

Same ol Jets? Not this time. CJ the silver spooned boy seems much smarter than he's being given credit for. If I owned an NFL team, I'd imagine holding a Lombardi would be the ultimate goal. I see Chris Johnson as a guy dreaming of a moment like that with his team. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If things go wrong ANYWHERE in the NFL they get ugly. You are either winners or losers, there's no in between. Belichick was on the bubble in New England before a throw away 6th rounder was used on some tall out of shape backup QB. 

Luck also plays a huge part in success. Timing is everything. Gase goes from an oft injured QB to a 22 year old piece of clay he can mold that could transform his entire career. On top of that he ended up with easily a top 3 RB that fought his way out of Pittsburgh. Then the top defensive player in college football who could be the next Warren Sapp falls in our laps. 

While the media was killing CJ for the odd timing of firing Macc, because of that timing the Jets are interviewing at their own pace 4 top GM hopefuls who have all agreed to interview with us except the douche up in Minny who because he's refused us twice should not even have been given the opportunity but I digress. 

So we went from fans on this board saying "no one wants to work for the Jets", to having our choice of 4 guys from top organizations in this league, all with resumes of some success or who worked for very good mentors for years.

Same ol Jets? Not this time. CJ the silver spooned boy seems much smarter than he's being given credit for. If I owned an NFL team, I'd imagine holding a Lombardi would be the ultimate goal. I see Chris Johnson as a guy dreaming of a moment like that with his team. 

Not all coaches personalities are alike.  Bowles, for instance, had 4 years of failure.  Gase had only 3 in Miami and will have even less in NY if he puts out a team like Bowles did.

Gase is going to build a true winner or there will be turmoil by the end of year 2.

In all honesty, the BB comparisons are ridiculous.  Sure, there are aberrations everywhere, but pointing to, possibly, the best coach in the history of the game as an example of why Gase can be successful is just silly.  

Gase is a nut job - but seemingly knows the game.  I just hope the team gets hot under him and they can make a run over the next couple of years.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not all coaches personalities are alike.  Bowles, for instance, had 4 years of failure.  Gase had only 3 in Miami and will have even less in NY if he puts out a team like Bowles did.

Gase is going to build a true winner or there will be turmoil by the end of year 2.

In all honesty, the BB comparisons are ridiculous.  Sure, there are aberrations everywhere, but pointing to, possibly, the best coach in the history of the game as an example of why Gase can be successful is just silly.  

Gase is a nut job - but seemingly knows the game.  I just hope the team gets hot under him and they can make a run over the next couple of years.

Nothing about BB can be determined unless he never has Brady & didn't reside in the worst division over the last 18 years. He's a great coach but he's not making the most comebacks in the history of the NFL WITHOUT TOM BRADY.

Brady or Belichick? Answered below very succinctly.

And yet, there's a reason top-level quarterbacks get paid about twice as much as top-level coaches. Brady has been the cornerstone of an offense that has managed to cover for a decent-or-worse defense over the past decade, even while swapping out key offensive pieces over and over again. He continues to play at a high level after turning 40. Belichick certainly deserves some credit for providing Brady with the infrastructure to succeed, especially early in the future Hall of Famer's career, but who else could have led the Patriots back from down 28-3 in the Super Bowl?

Brady is the best draft pick of all time, arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, and the most important piece of this Patriots dynasty.

• Upvote 2

I agree.

Either succeed or bomb out quickly so we can start over again quickly before Darnolds rookie deal expires. No in-between.

If they didn’t like Darnold like a lot of people Barkley was the right pick. He was the best player in the draft. 

Rosen + whatever RB >>> Daniel Jones + Barkley

Best player according to who? Who cares what the “experts” say? They rarely take positional value into account.

RB is one of the lowest paid positions for a reason.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I had a big problem with it. Which is why I said that Bowles should have been fired mid season.

I’m also saying the mutiny was to be expected. Bowles knew he wasn’t gonna be here, so he had no compelling reason to protect Sam.

Um - how about committing career suicide. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

BB was lightyears away from being the best coach in FB - when he came to the Pats from Cle.  He came over as an abrasive defensive genius, Gase comes in as an abrasive offensive prodigy - there are similarities and Gase already has his QB - where BB kinda of lucked into one.  Not saying I expect Gases's HC career with the Jets to look like Beli's , but those pointing to his "failures" in Mia need only to look at BB's failure in Cle. 

• Upvote 1