[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

They obviously didn’t think Darnold was a FQB and must of still believed in Eli last year. 

Jones is a prime example of taking a QB just because you need one instead of taking a better pick at a different position. 

I wish the Jets would of drafted Cushing or Orakpo instead of Sanchez. If you don’t believe in a QB you don’t draft him and take a better choice.  

Jones is an instance of Gettleman realizing he f*cked up by not taking Darnold or Rosen when he had the chance.

The Giants could very well have believed in Eli all they wanted, but he was still 37.  Even the Patriots drafted Garoppolo when Brady was around that age.

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Anyone know how far down the front office totem poll you have to give a promotion in order to hire someone from another team? 

Andy Weidl Director of Player Personnel and Ian Cunningham Director of College Scouting are also rumored to possibly follow Douglas. I guess Weidl can becomes VP of Player Personnel. 

But just wondering how far down the promotion rule applies. 

If a team wants to block a hire from another team, only the offer of the top job (complete control of the 53 man roster) can get around that. Any hires below that would require their current team's permission. In the case of Champ Kelly, say, they'd presumably be offering him a promotion to Director of Player Personnel from his current assistant position. Would Chicago block that move? They could, but then they'd look like they're freezing their guys out of promotions to other potential hires (and in this case, an African-American). It's not a good look. I don't think the league would like it. They could wind up with a disgruntled employee on their hands. They'd have to weigh the pros and cons of that for themselves. I think they'd let him go. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jones is an instance of Gettleman realizing he f*cked up by not taking Darnold or Rosen when he had the chance.

The Giants could very well have believed in Eli all they wanted, but he was still 37.  Even the Patriots drafted Garoppolo when Brady was around that age.

They should be drafting a QB to replace Eli but he could play for 3 more years. Rosen is awful

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Jones is worse. 

We don’t know NFL wise yet but he was worse definitely a worse draft pick. That was the stupidest pick they could of made for the simple fact Jones would of been there at 17 so they could of gotten the QB they wanted plus a higher rated defender. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

We don’t know NFL wise yet but he was worse definitely a worse draft pick. That was the stupidest pick they could of made for the simple fact Jones would of been there at 17 so they could of gotten the QB they wanted plus a higher rated defender. 

A 59.9 college career completion % pretty much tells us all we need to know about Jones. 

That he had really bad WRs/TEs and his team sucked? Last year as a junior he was 60.5%, 22 TDs and 9 ints. The giants still should of drafted him at 17. 

That was the excuse made for Josh Allen.  And Christian Hackenberg. 

They shouldn't have taken him in the 1st round.  6, 17, doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

so this thread is 17 pages long if Joe Douglas was in fact a done deal why isn't it... ya know... done? 

how hard is it for this team to close any deal? 

3/4 of it is me and 80 and others talking about something that has nothing to do with the thread lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was the excuse made for Josh Allen.  And Christian Hackenberg. 

They shouldn't have taken him in the 1st round.  6, 17, doesn't matter.

I barely watched Allen or Jones play but I watched a lot of Hackenberg and he couldn’t play worth a shit. 

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I barely watched Allen or Jones play but I watched a lot of Hackenberg and he couldn’t play worth a sh*t. 

To put things in perspective, QBase (probably the best mathematical tool we have for projecting NFL QB success) has NC State's Ryan Finley (4th round pick) as a significantly better prospect than Jones. 

Drew Lock is slightly ahead of Jones as well according to this metric.

2018 prospects Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta and Luke Falk also graded out better than Jones.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To put things in perspective, QBase (probably the best mathematical tool we have for projecting NFL QB success) has NC State's Ryan Finley (4th round pick) as a significantly better prospect than Jones. 

I never would of drafted him at 6 or ahead of other QBs at 17 but they have more information then I do so who knows. At least we don’t have the dumbest draft pick in NY now. 

• Upvote 1

I never would of drafted him at 6 or ahead of other QBs at 17 but they have more information then I do so who knows. At least we don’t have the dumbest draft pick in NY now. 

True! 

Oh, and 2017 Giants 3rd rounder and current Jet Practice Squad candidate Davis Webb graded out better than Jones as well.  Dayum. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2018 prospects Mason Rudolph, Kyle Lauletta and Luke Falk also graded out better than Jones.

I still think Rudolph will play in this league.  

And man did I love Falk before his senior year. Oooof. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

so this thread is 17 pages long if Joe Douglas was in fact a done deal why isn't it... ya know... done? 

The Jets are the only team in the league with a GM opening right now. There's no rush because there's no competition for candidates, and there's really not a lot for a GM to do at this point on the calendar. The Jets put together a short list of candidates and are interviewing them over the course of four days. The hire should be announced within a couple days. 

Non-issue. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

... and Lauletta is on the Giants.

13 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are the only team in the league with a GM opening right now. There's no rush because there's no competition for candidates, and there's really not a lot for a GM to do at this point on the calendar. The Jets put together a short list of candidates and are interviewing them over the course of four days. The hire should be announced within a couple days. 

Non-issue. 

So... another 17 pages then? 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Non-issue. 

what if that hire is not Joe Douglas. Will the hiring become an issue at that point? 

17 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Yeah, I liked both those guys too.  Would have been the "Petty" type later round QB types I'd have loved to snag at the time.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what if that hire is not Joe Douglas. Will the hiring become an issue at that point? 

I didn't know who Joe Douglas was a month ago. Seems like all four guys that they're interviewing have genuine qualifications. I'm not seriously concerned. Certainly not about the amount of time it's taking in the spring to hire a new GM. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, choon328 said:

I'm not forming a judgement on either player. You're assuming they'll be good enough to start next year. If anybody is forming a judgement it's you.

Every starting offensive lineman besides Osemele is average. So re-signing Beachum and Shell does nothing for me except waste about $15 million in cap space. 

This roster is far from complete. On defense there is zero consistent rush off the edge and the CB group is below average

On offense there is no depth behind Bell at HB that can fill in on 1st and 2nd down if he gets injured. The backup TE is a question mark. The offensive line is returning 4 starters from one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL in 2018. Oh and we are counting on a massive leap from a 2nd year QB who will have below average to average protection in front of him.

That's hardly close to complete.

Our offensive line is average. We need a stud Tackle who can run and pass block. We need a RG who can maul people. Our CB unit is a question mark. Jones never got a chance when Bowles was here. He had Roberts playing safety at some point. Roberts and Jones have some skills. Johnson was playing zone coverage, and looked lost. Gregg Williams could make a big difference in that units play. Carpenter, Long at center, really where the main culprits in the way the line performed. They've been replaced. Thank god. Your right that we can't be sure opf rookies who've never played a down. Im trying to look on the bright side, hoping that they will contribute this year. Polite has elite burst and bend as an edge rusher. Is he strong enough???One thing i know is Gregg Williams will get the most out of him, as opposed to Kacy Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I'd like to think so also.  The Steelers have put all their chips in on Big Ben to finish his career up with the Steelers, so it seems likely Rudolph will get Garoppolo'd before his rookie deal expires. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I was wondering when the first - "Why haven't we signed Douglas yet!!!!!  This team is a dumpster fire!!!" post would come.

I'm surprised it took 12 or so hours...

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I was wondering when the first - "Why haven't we signed Douglas yet!!!!!  This team is a dumpster fire!!!" post would come.

I'm surprised it took 12 or so hours...

you said those things not me 

Im just wondering how done this deal is in fact 

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

LOL forgot about that.  So they drafted Webb, Lauletta and Jones.  Lauletta and Webb graded out better than Jones, who they took at # 6.

Wow. 

I don't know too much about them, but my quick view is that Webb sucks.  I would take either of the other 2 over him. Jones is the kind of guy that coaches love.  If he has enough arm he can end up very good.  I liked what I read about Lauletta too, but I don't think he has enough arm.