[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

5 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

To be fair in this case, he might just not want to leave Minnesota and/or Spielman.

He also has declined GM interviews with the Dolphins and Chiefs as well in the past.

I don't want his ass either.  Hard to get the stench of that Cousins signing off of him, even if it wasn't his decision.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What would you suggest the solution is? A retread GM? What about Douglas specifically reminds you of Idzik or Macc?

Add this to the list.

No QBs from USC.

No RBs from PSU

No first time GMs

On 5/30/2019 at 3:55 PM, Bruce Harper said:

I don't want his ass either.  Hard to get the stench of that Cousins signing off of him, even if it wasn't his decision.

I think this Cousins hate is pretty far overblown.  The idea that the Vikings were this horrible team under Cousins is ridiculous.  The Vikings finished 1/2 game out of the playoffs.   They had a new OC.  DeFilippo is the boy wonder, but it was his first time as play caller since 2015 when he layed an egg for Pettine with the Browns.  Sparano died and they never ran the ball.  They have hired Kubiak and Dennison, so will probably be running the 2018 Jets offense.  Bet it is fairly succesful. 

It also takes time to gel with a new team.  They were 1-2-1 by week 4.  They lost to the Bills week 3, but every other loss they had was to a playoff team.  Rams, Bears, Saints, Seahawks in Seattle, NE.   I think they will bounce back pretty well. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

By winning the Cousins contest, the Vikings actually lost. And the organization and fans know it.

Sure. In hindsight. We may feel the same way about Barr in the future too, but the fact that they keep snubbing us is real. I don't know why we even reached out to that guy for a 3rd time. just gives the media trolls one more thing to use for the dysfunctional Jets narrative.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure. In hindsight. We may feel the same way about Barr in the future too, but the fact that they keep snubbing us is real. I don't know why we even reached out to that guy for a 3rd time. just gives the media trolls one more thing to use for the dysfunctional Jets narrative.

**** yea its real...we suck. when you win you get the respect, when you lose you get treated like the joke that you are. lets win something and no one is going to be snubbing us.

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this Cousins hate is pretty far overblown.  The idea that the Vikings were this horrible team under Cousins is ridiculous.  The Vikings finished 1/2 game out of the playoffs.   The y had a new OC.  DeFilippo is the boy wonder, but it was his first time as play caller since 2015 when he layed an egg for Pettine withe Browns.  Sparano died and they never ran the ball.  They have hired Kubiak and Dennison, so will probably be running the 2018 Jets offense.  Bet it is fairly succesful. 

It also takes time to gel with a new team.  They were 1-2-1 by week 4.  They lost to the Bills week 3, but every other loss they had was to a playoff team.  Rams, Bears, Saints, Seahawks in Seattle, NE.   I think they will bounce back pretty well. 

Problem is this has been the knock on Cousins his entire career. His record against good teams and in big games is god awful. His career record is something like 4-24 vs. teams over .500.

QB W-L records can obviously be pretty deceiving so I'll try and see if I can find his personal numbers during those games, but you'd have to think if he put up even decent production in those games he'd have a better record. But just from watching the guy, it seems fairly obvious that he's the type of QB who's good enough to beat up on the bad teams but not good enough to beat good teams. That's pretty much the last place you want to be in with a QB, especially one you've committed huge guaranteed money to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

**** yea its real...we suck. when you win you get the respect, when you lose you get treated like the joke that you are. lets win something and no one is going to be snubbing us.

Rah Rah Rah. Shish Boom Bah! 

I hear ya man. My point is that CJ is leading with his chin by reaching out to a guy who already told him no twice. And after the Cousins and Barr snubs. Seems like he's not paying attention or he just likes it. :) 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

Problem is this has been the knock on Cousins his entire career. His record against good teams and in big games is god awful. His career record is something like 4-24 vs. teams over .500.

QB W-L records can obviously be pretty deceiving so I'll try and see if I can find his personal numbers during those games, but you'd have to think if he put up even decent production in those games he'd have a better record. But just from watching the guy, it seems fairly obvious that he's the type of QB who's good enough to beat up on the bad teams but not good enough to beat good teams. That's pretty much the last place you want to be in with a QB, especially one you've committed huge guaranteed money to.

I live in the DMV, I am fully aware of Cousins and how he fares against good teams.  IMO, the team has much more to do with it.  Alex Smith was 6-4 in 2018.  The only team he beat with a winning record was the Cowboys. They are a sh*tty team.  sh*tty teams generally have a tough time against teams with winning records.

IMO DeFilippo is one of these guys that fell in love with their own genius.  The Vikings won every single game where they rushed over 100 yards as a team. Hell, the Pats game was the only one they lost where they had more than 85.  The team had under 1,500 yards rushing, and 383 came in the 3 games after DeFilippo got canned.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I live in the DMV, I am fully aware of Cousins and how he fares against good teams.  IMO, the team has much more to do with it.  Alex Smith was 6-4 in 2018.  The only team he beat with a winning record was the Cowboys. They are a sh*tty team.  sh*tty teams generally have a tough time against teams with winning records.

IMO DeFilippo is one of these guys that fell in love with their own genius.  The Vikings won every single game where they rushed over 100 yards as a team. Hell, the Pats game was the only one they lost where they had more than 85.  The team had under 1,500 yards rushing, and 383 came in the 3 games after DeFilippo got canned.

At what point though do you expect a supposedly elite QB to lead his team to some wins against good teams? He's 30 years old now, and just joined a team that the year before he arrived went to the NFC Championship Game with Case Keenum starting at QB. We can blame DeFillippo, we can blame the Redskins overall lack of talent (even though, as you said, another slightly above average QB won games with that same team at the same rate as Cousins). But when the Vikings signed Cousins to that monster contract, they weren't expecting slightly above average, they were expecting a QB that could elevate the team around him to the next level and that entails beating good teams. It might not be fair to call the contract a bust yet, but the clock is ticking and the excuses are running out.

• Upvote 3

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

42 minutes ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

It'll be interesting to see what happens since Woody and Chris own equal shares of the team. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

I never knew this. I thought Woody owned the Jets by himself.

Woody, Chris and their mother own equal shares in the Jets. Not many people knew that but someone reported it on this board a couple of weeks ago.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, King P said:

giphy.gif

Woody is a douche.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

A hire of this caliber would not have been possible had it happened in January under the command of Chris Johnson. 
All hail Emperor Gase. 
Maybe we should wait until year two to decide what caliber this signing is. Also every other team could have asked to interview him in the off-season and no one did so why wouldn't it have been possible in January?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, King P said:

giphy.gif

If true, would be worse than the Jets       bringing back Kotite,Rex,Bowles,Tanny,Idzik and Macc all at once.

• Upvote 1