[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

I hope this is true.  All the signs have been pointing to Douglas for some time - the stories before Macc was even fired, the reports of Douglas lining up a staff in anticipation, the existing working relationship with Gase, the Eagles adding guys to their FO in preparation for Douglas departing and taking some staff with him, and now the "done deal" reports from Pauline and others.

It's looking good.  Let's just hope this isn't another Tom Gamble moment - the last time we had a cert lined up for the job, it went awry and we ended up with John Idzik.

Close the deal, Jets - get Douglas.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Maybe we should wait until year two to decide what caliber this signing is. Also every other team could have asked to interview him in the off-season and no one did so why wouldn't it have been possible in January?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This right here....book mark this thread and others like it, because if things go to sh*t, everyone who is hailing Joe Douglas as the next great NFL GM will be calling for his head and complaining that we shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

About a week ago I posted the Eagles draft results since Joe Douglas came on board and they're not much better than Macc.

Someone then listed all of the offensive line moves Joe Douglas "made" and most were done before he was ever with the team.  Another poster wanted to call Douglas great because he drafted Wentz and hired Pederson...again....moves made BEFORE Douglas was with the Eagles.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

Dick move by Woody Johnson. 

Still waiting for the Jets to tweet out the picture of Douglas signing his contract at Florham Park.  Then I will believe it.  And they might even need to remove all napkins from the facility for a couple of days just to be sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

........................Someone then listed all of the offensive line moves Joe Douglas "made" and most were done before he was ever with the team.  Another poster wanted to call Douglas great because he drafted Wentz and hired Pederson...again....moves made BEFORE Douglas was with the Eagles.

Jets fans will never ever let facts dampen enthusiasm.

3.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This right here....book mark this thread and others like it, because if things go to sh*t, everyone who is hailing Joe Douglas as the next great NFL GM will be calling for his head and complaining that we shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

About a week ago I posted the Eagles draft results since Joe Douglas came on board and they're not much better than Macc.

Someone then listed all of the offensive line moves Joe Douglas "made" and most were done before he was ever with the team.  Another poster wanted to call Douglas great because he drafted Wentz and hired Pederson...again....moves made BEFORE Douglas was with the Eagles.

I tend to agree.   You just don’t know what these guys will do when they take over.  Like you said, much of what people are giving Douglas credit for didn’t actually happen “on his watch”, nor was he the GM.   He has worked for some good organizations and seems to have a good pedigree, of the potential candidates has the resume you would want, but it’s still a huge unknown.   

He’ll either be successful or he won’t, nobody knows what that answer will be.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Here's a post from someone who vehemently disagrees with the above.

The man fits every criteria.

1. First and foremost, did an excellent job at rebuilding the Eagles thru free agency and the draft.

2. Has already been to a SB despite losing their young franchise QB who was on pace to win league MVP when he want down for the season.

3. Same QB was lost season the season again in 2018 yet still they came within a whisker of another SB.

4. 2 & 3 are the marks of having a SB caliber backup QB, but also of building a foundation that can withstand such a colossal blow, starting with the HC

5. By all accounts Gase and Douglas are genuine friends and on the same page where it pertains schemes and building a sustainable winner.

6. Douglas and Gase are 45 and 42 respectively, so if this works they can both be here a long-time.

There really is no downside to this hire so far as I can see. I just hope Tony is right and it happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline: Word circulating inside the league is Woody Johnson will be back in 18 months regardless of the outcome of the 2020 Presidential election. This comes from the same people who told me Maccagnan was likely to be fired a few weeks after the draft. When I asked if Woody could be back sooner the response was, “possibly, but it won’t be any longer than 18 months.”

giphy.gif

Relax Woody`s not coming back until 2024!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Valid points and balanced approach.  Douglas seems to have an excellent rep in the league but ultimately

his draft record and how many wins the team gets will determine how good of a GM he is.

That's all true. He has experience with winning franchises surrounded by proven individuals that's mostly all they have to go on and that's good enough for me, anything is an improvement compared to the ridiculous year in and year out BS with the Jets.

• Upvote 2

Wait , how's that possible the Jets drafting has been the absolute worstest ?,. Just reinforces my point that the draft is a glorified crapshoot. Outside of a few can't miss type prospects -it's what you do with the players that's makes the difference.

• Upvote 1

He wasn’t the Eagles GM so according accountability does not fall on his shoulders 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nobody on this board even knew who he was until we fired Macaggnan. 

Not entirely true, but the reality is that the vast majority of GMs that get hired are former assistant GMs that no one has heard about. Most can barely identify current NFL GMs. 

The most recent GM that was "well known" before his hire was Dave Gettleman and he chose a RB over a franchise QB...

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not entirely true, but the reality is that the vast majority of GMs that get hired are former assistant GMs that no one has heard about. Most can barely identify current NFL GMs. 

The most recent GM that was "well known" before his hire was Dave Gettleman and he chose a RB over a franchise QB...

oh wow thanks i didnt know all that

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

At what point though do you expect a supposedly elite QB to lead his team to some wins against good teams? He's 30 years old now, and just joined a team that the year before he arrived went to the NFC Championship Game with Case Keenum starting at QB. We can blame DeFillippo, we can blame the Redskins overall lack of talent (even though, as you said, another slightly above average QB won games with that same team at the same rate as Cousins). But when the Vikings signed Cousins to that monster contract, they weren't expecting slightly above average, they were expecting a QB that could elevate the team around him to the next level and that entails beating good teams. It might not be fair to call the contract a bust yet, but the clock is ticking and the excuses are running out.

Totally understand where you are coming from.  It's reasonable.  I disagree, but we will see how it plays out.  I think the 2017 Vikings 13-3 was kind of a mirage and that team shouldn't have made it out of the first round.

I don't think that $28M per is crazy money anymore.  He is the 5th highest paid QB, just above Garoppolo.  The guys behind him making less are either on their 1st contract, signed deals a long time ago, or are full of sh*t like Brady.  He solves uncertainty at the most important position, and you can concentrate on other things.  I like Darnold, but if they sign Cousins and just take who went in those slots you have Quinton Nelson, Braden Smith, Dallas Goedert, and Rock-Ya Sin.  The Colts traded the Goedert pick to the Eagles and ended up with Kemeko Turay and Jordan Wilkins.  That is a 1st team all-pro G, starting RT and TE + a CB that would have an excellent chance of starting this year in addition to all our other draft picks.  You probably have a tough time replacing those guys with the $28M or whatever that Cousins is getting. 

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this Cousins hate is pretty far overblown.  The idea that the Vikings were this horrible team under Cousins is ridiculous.  The Vikings finished 1/2 game out of the playoffs.   The y had a new OC.  DeFilippo is the boy wonder, but it was his first time as play caller since 2015 when he layed an egg for Pettine withe Browns.  Sparano died and they never ran the ball.  They have hired Kubiak and Dennison, so will probably be running the 2018 Jets offense.  Bet it is fairly succesful. 

It also takes time to gel with a new team.  They were 1-2-1 by week 4.  They lost to the Bills week 3, but every other loss they had was to a playoff team.  Rams, Bears, Saints, Seahawks in Seattle, NE.   I think they will bounce back pretty well. 

It's not so much the disappointing season but the fact that they gave an eighty something million dollars guaranteed to a guy who had a losing record against winning teams in his career.  I just thought they severely overpaid.  They had a good team before he arrived.  They should win.

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed.  It's not quite the same as coaches where many every day fans would be more familiar than with asst GM's or Directors of college scouting.

No one knows whether or not any of these guys will end up being good GM's but I like the idea of Douglas coming primarily from the ravens FO. That's about as solid of a background as you can get. Add to it that Douglas was one of the pieces added to the Eagles FO when they went to and won the Superbowl.  He's got the pedigree and he's been under some of the best out there. 

The fact that he is buddies with Gase is the final piece which makes it a great move. Get everything Gase wants and go all in with him. F it. 

I'll add that I found myself a bit envious watching the Colts war room while Reich and Ballard were excitedly on the exact same page. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1