[Tony Pauline] Joe Douglas Done Deal

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Stewart got hurt and that certainly derailed him , but there's no reason Hansen shouldn't have gotten a ton more live reps then he did . Bowles was in self preservation mode and wanted nothing to do with helping these young players through growing pains when in essence that is really all he should have been doing at that point. 

As I stated elsewhere in this thread , young players get little opportunity to shine in this league. Gm's/HC's are more likely to try and develop their own prospects then to take on a reclamation project from another . You can't use the fact some of these guys are out of the NFL as proof that they couldn't have been quality players.  Yes Mac certianly had his share of bad picks as do most GM's - knowing what to do with the players who have potential is what separates good teams form mediocre one's.

Yep Bowles fault.  IN 2017 he played a full third of the offensive snaps.  He basically played half the snaps from mid-season on.  He caught 9 balls.  The ******* kid is unemployed right now after getting cut during 90 man rosters almost a full month ago.  He got dumped in NE while Edelman was suspended.  He couldn't move up the chain in Tennessee.  In Denver he wasn't rostered while guys like Tim Patrick and River Cracraft were getting run.  sh*t, they picked up Andre Holmes, cut from the pathetic Bills WR corps and he got run over Hansen.  Maybe he didn't really have any potential. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yikes.  He wants out because Philly hired an analytics guy?  ****.  You old school "look at the tape" cavemen are going to love this.  Gonna be great trotting a bunch of small slow guys with short arms out there.  Can't wait!

This really burned my buns too, but in all fairness it’s coming from Mike Lombardi, who’s legitimately one of the dumbest people in America.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Stewart got hurt and that certainly derailed him , but there's no reason Hansen shouldn't have gotten a ton more live reps then he did . Bowles was in self preservation mode and wanted nothing to do with helping these young players through growing pains when in essence that is really all he should have been doing at that point. 

As I stated elsewhere in this thread , young players get little opportunity to shine in this league. Gm's/HC's are more likely to try and develop their own prospects then to take on a reclamation project from another . You can't use the fact some of these guys are out of the NFL as proof that they couldn't have been quality players.  Yes Mac certianly had his share of bad picks as do most GM's - knowing what to do with the players who have potential is what separates good teams form mediocre one's.

That’s just silly.  Sorry.  

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

They went with the safest pick and got a pro bowl player so it wasn’t a bad choice. 

We drafted a Pro Bowl player at 6 in Jamal Adams but passed on Patrick Mahomes to do so.  Jamal Adams is a good player but a bad pick.  Saquon Barkley is a tremendous player but also a bad pick. 

Its not just about who you take.  Its what you miss out on. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

These guys watch the players in practice. They get plenty of reps. They can tell if a kid is a bust or not. It's actually in a coaches best interest to develop young players because the more good young players you develop the more job security you have. 

Don't get me wrong, Bowles sucked but it's not like the Jets let go of these players and they developed into stars on other teams. I remember everyone begging for Hack to play. They said we can't know what we have if we don't play him. The reality was the coaching staff already knew he sucked. The same with Hansen. Guys like Anderson/Enunwa/Herndon excelled under Bowles. It's not because of Bowles, it's because they are just really good players. 

With the new CBA how many reps do these guys really get in practice. I've been to Jets TC practices and although they do rotate in a fair amount of players , its not like these guys are getting play with live bullets. Which the 2 or 3 "meaningful" PS games - I'm still under the impression Bowles had no clue what he was doing . The point that sealed this for me was him playing Spencer Long when he was was clearly injured and couldn't snap - I guess Todd knew Harrison sucked until he played him and guess what he didn't.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interestingly I just heard on Sirius XM that Douglas May be out. It was a quick comment but had to with control of the 53. They went on to talk about who’s left after that Patton and Douglas turned the Jets down.
This surprised me. Has anyone heard anything else out there???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Gase has said that the GM will have control of the 53. Did it sound like speculation or actual reporting?

52 minutes ago, CTM said:

Perhaps you hadn't heard, he's the most gifted and qualified GM prospect in years. A generational talent. 

We're not in position to be looking for a generational GM.  Just hopefully not a buffoon.  Please just give me a non-buffoon at GM and I'll be moderately happy.  Too much to ask?

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s just silly.  Sorry.  

Then explain Spencer Long playing when he clearly couldn't snap at all, Harrison came in and did a very decent job.  I guess in your mindset and Bowles Harrsion sucked so there was no reason to play him.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yikes.  He wants out because Philly hired an analytics guy?  ****.  You old school "look at the tape" cavemen are going to love this.  Gonna be great trotting a bunch of small slow guys with short arms out there.  Can't wait!

This would be a legitimate concern if true. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Then explain Spencer Long playing when he clearly couldn't snap at all, Harrison came in and did a very decent job.  I guess in your mindset and Bowles Harrsion sucked so there was no reason to play him.

That was likely a big old "FU" to Maccagnan.  Long was Macc's biggest pickup on the offensive line that past offseason.  Its very possible Bowles was saying to ownership "See this?  This is what your GM has been giving me."

All the talk was that Bowles would be out and Macc's job was safe, so I don't blame Bowles all that much for leading a mutiny.  The problem was that it put Darnold's health in jeopardy.  Which is why, if you're planning on firing the coach, you should always do so midseason, not let him finish off a lame duck campaign. 

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What does that have to do with draft busts?  You’re not grasping the point here.  

Spencer Long is with another team.  The draft busts are sitting home, talentless.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Or he might be trotting out guys who actually have great game film  and production.  Not just combine #'s

The reason he probably wants out is because the Eagles blocked him from a GM interview last year because they were in the play offs.  I could see blocking a coach who has to prepare for the next game, but a FO guy?  Selfish move on Roseman's part, and probably pissed Douglas off.

Eagles have a good chance to be in the play offs again.

Yep.  Big time studs like Donnel Pumphery, and Shelton Gibson.  Derek Barnett at 14?  Color me underwhelmed.  

5 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Gase has said that the GM will have control of the 53. Did it sound like speculation or actual reporting?

It was Mark Dominik saying it, and it had the feel of real knowledge and said Roseman wont let Douglas leave. Hoping its not inside information and he's just going off the reports out there that are wrongfully saying that the new GM will not have draft or 53 man control. I just hope we get the right guy and dont step on our dicks again doing half measures.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

With the new CBA how many reps do these guys really get in practice. I've been to Jets TC practices and although they do rotate in a fair amount of players , its not like these guys are getting play with live bullets. Which the 2 or 3 "meaningful" PS games - I'm still under the impression Bowles had no clue what he was doing . The point that sealed this for me was him playing Spencer Long when he was was clearly injured and couldn't snap - I guess Todd knew Harrison sucked until he played him and guess what he didn't.

2 big problems with this theory.

1. Chad Hansen played plenty.  He just produced nothing. 

2. The new coach that you seem so high on just got Maccagnan fired because... he knows Harrison sucks and is pissed that they didn't get another center. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interestingly I just heard on Sirius XM that Douglas May be out. It was a quick comment but had to with control of the 53. They went on to talk about who’s left after that Patton and Douglas turned the Jets down.
This surprised me. Has anyone heard anything else out there???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I hope that's not true.  If they don't give control of the 53 to the new GM, they won't get anyone worth a damn.   That would be a major mistake.

I'd be very surprised if true, Gase said the GM would have control.  Hope this isn't a CJ screw up.  Got to go check now

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That was likely a big old "FU" to Maccagnan.  Long was Macc's biggest pickup on the offensive line that past offseason.  Its very possible Bowles was saying to ownership "See this?  This is what your GM has been giving me."

All the talk was that Bowles would be out and Macc's job was safe, so I don't blame Bowles all that much for leading a mutiny.  The problem was that it put Darnold's health in jeopardy.  Which is why, if you're planning on firing the coach, you should always do so midseason, not let him finish off a lame duck campaign. 

So you had no problem with Bowles potentially getting Sam killed to prove a point that Mac sucked - Wow!!!

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What does that have to do with draft busts?  You’re not grasping the point here.  

Spencer Long is with another team.  The draft busts are sitting home, talentless.  

And Harrison was rotting on the bench when it was clear Long couldn't snap. It proves Bowles had no idea how to evaluate and pick the right starters.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

2 big problems with this theory.

1. Chad Hansen played plenty.  He just produced nothing. 

2. The new coach that you seem so high on just got Maccagnan fired because... he knows Harrison sucks and is pissed that they didn't get another center. 

1- yes those 17 targets he got were plenty to truly evaluate.

2- cool conspiracy theory .

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We drafted a Pro Bowl player at 6 in Jamal Adams but passed on Patrick Mahomes to do so.  Jamal Adams is a good player but a bad pick.  Saquon Barkley is a tremendous player but also a bad pick. 

At this point they didn’t miss out on anything 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

1. 17 targets in 341 ******* offensive snaps?  I'm sorry.  I forgot that Bowles was also supposed to insist that the QB to throw to #16, even if he can't get open.  He played between 40 and 80% of the snaps over the last half.  Ruined by coaching!

2. Conspiracy?  How many people beyond Gase deny that Gase got Maccagnan fired?  How many outlets have reported that Gase was pissed that Maccagnan didn't go after Paradis or another center?  I didn't make this up.  If you choose not to believe it, I can't help you. 

• Upvote 1

ets GM search: Interview schedule quickly taking shape | When will Eagles’ Joe Douglas, other candidates meet with Christopher Johnson? (UPDATE)

Updated 3:57 PM; Today 3:15 PM
5 storylines for Jets OTAs, Week 2
Comment

39 shares

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

UPDATE (Friday, 3:42 p.m.): The Jets announced that they have completed their interview with the Seahawks’ Scott Fitterer. He was their first interview.

UPDATE: We have completed an interview with Seattle’s Scott Fitterer for our GM vacancy.

UPDATE (Friday, 3:12 p.m.): Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas will interview on Sunday, according to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.

Christopher Johnson is going to be busy over the next handful of days.

The Jets are expected to begin interviews with their general manager candidates as early as Thursday, with three candidates slated to meet with the team’s acting owner – among other Jets higher-ups – over the next week.

Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer is expected to be the Jets’ first interview on either Thursday or Friday, as reported by Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.

false

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport confirmed that interview on Wednesday, adding that Bears assistant director of player personnel Champ Kellywill meet with the Jets “early next week."

Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas has apparently also accepted the Jets’ interview request, but the timeline for his interview remains murky. According to Rapoport, Douglas will have his meeting sometime next week. But Yahoo’s Charles Robinson reports that Douglas will have his interview this coming weekend.

In any event, that means the Jets will have three interviews finished within the next week. They currently have requests out to two other candidates – Vikings assistant general manager George Paton and Saints director of pro scouting Terry Fontenot.

The Jets just requested an interview with Fontenot earlier Wednesday. It remains to be seen whether or not Paton will sit down with the Jets; he rebuffed their advances in both 2013 and 2015, when the GM job was open.

There is a chance that the Jets will continue adding to that list of candidates in the coming days, too. According to Breer, the Jets plan on sitting down with about a half-dozen prospective GMs before making their decision.

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold is going to be a superstar.

The reason he is a Jet is pure luck due to the stupidity of the NYG GM.

But let’s say the draft fell the way it should have, Darnold is now a Giant, you know Maccagnan couldn’t pick Barkley (even though he is great) because he was in serious job saving mode, he had already tried to dump the Jets vault on Kirk “4-26 vs Winning Teams” Cousins to try to secure his “job saving” QB and was rebuffed, so with Darnold gone all that was left for Maccagnan was Josh Allen or Josh Rosen, and I GUARANTEE you one of them would have now been the Jet QB.  You would now have a QB in Allen, who yes he’s gifted physically but had trouble reading Div III Defenses at Wyoming AND has Accuracy issues (very tough to fix at the NFL level) or the QB would be Rosen who has the pocket presence of Ken O’Brien and is not half as good as O’Brien was (and remember O’Brien never won a single playoff game over 10 years).

Jet fans would be totally tortured over the next 15 years watching Patrick Mahomes accumulate more MVP trophies while he continues to obliterate NFL passing records on his way to Canton....KNOWING full well that Maccagnan needed a QB desperately the previous year, but basically lied to everyone by his actions in basically saying that Hackenberg could be the Jet QB as he cowardly AGAIN went with the Consensus pick in Adams (yes Adams is one of the top Safeties in the league, nice player, but did that do much for the Jet D overall?  No they were still Bottom 3rd in both of his first 2 years).  The Adams pick was basically Maccagnan FAILING TO OWN that Hackenberg was ANOTHER BUSTED PREMIUM PICK.

Missing on Mahomes doesn’t hurt as much knowing that Darnold is going to join him in the Top 3 QBs in the NFL, and they will have some epic playoff battles going against each other over their careers.

But once again, Darnold is a Jet ONLY by PURE LUCK.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

1. 17 targets in 341 ******* offensive snaps?  I'm sorry.  I forgot that Bowles was also supposed to tell insist that the QB to throw to #16, even if he can't get open.  He played between 40 and 80% of the snaps over the last half.  Ruined by coaching!

2. Conspiracy?  How many people beyond Gase deny that Gase got Maccagnan fired?  How many outlets have reported that Gase was pissed that Maccagnan didn't go after Paradis or another center?  I didn't make this up.  If you choose not to believe it, I can't help you. 

Everyone here is saying Mac sucked , so why does there need to be a clandestine reason to pin his firing on - oh wait I know , that's what the media said. So If i choose not to believe the rumors I won't , you go along believing  anyone else with an axe to grind with the Jets.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Everyone here is saying Mac sucked , so why does there need to be a clandestine reason to pin his firing on - oh wait I know , that's what the media said. So If i choose not to believe the rumors I won't , you go along believing  anyone else with an axe to grind with the Jets.

This one is very simple.  Because if they were going to fire him solely for sucking he would have never made it to May 2019. 

19 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Rah Rah Rah. Shish Boom Bah! 

I hear ya man. My point is that CJ is leading with his chin by reaching out to a guy who already told him no twice. And after the Cousins and Barr snubs. Seems like he's not paying attention or he just likes it. :) 

like in anything, you have to do the best you can to put yourself in position to be successful. being afraid to fail is the number 1 reason why people don't succeed. i rather ask a third time and get turned down by the guy i think is the guy then not ask.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

This really burned my buns too, but in all fairness it’s coming from Mike Lombardi, who’s legitimately one of the dumbest people in America.

Yes I'm sure the reporting is dead wrong and Chris Johnson is on the verge of making a very smart hire.

55 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And Harrison was rotting on the bench when it was clear Long couldn't snap. It proves Bowles had no idea how to evaluate and pick the right starters.

So it’s Bowles fault that Stewart and Hansen and the rest of the talentless mooks Maccagnan drafted aren’t in the league anymore?   Ok....Lol

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Oh my God give it a freaking rest if Chad Hansen were anything other than total garbage he would be on a roster