Chris Herndon....what are we looking at?

Herndon showed some promise as a rookie, but some of these predictions are a little outlandish.

He's going to be suspended and miss a portion of the season. The Jets signed Bell and Crowder, both of whom soak up a ton of targets. Enunwa will be back healthy. There are simply too many factors working against Herndon to expect a monster season.

Last year he had 39 receptions for 502 yards and 4 TD. I think this is a reasonable expectation for him this season as well.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

At least a two game suspension.  The personal conduct policy requires a minimum 2 games for offenses involving alcohol.  

If I recall correctly his dui also resulted in a crash, but I’m not sure if it was just his car or if it involved another driver.  

If another driver was involved he may get a game or two more for aggravating circumstances. 

From page 19: 

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

2.2 Violations of Law Involving Alcohol

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a Player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for two (2) regular or postseason games.

If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct, extreme intoxication (BAC of .15% or more), property damage or serious injury or death to the Player or a third party, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense, absent aggravating circumstances, will be a suspension without pay for eight (8) regular and/or postseason games as determined by the Commissioner.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Herndon showed some promise as a rookie, but some of these predictions are a little outlandish.

He's going to be suspended and miss a portion of the season. The Jets signed Bell and Crowder, both of whom soak up a ton of targets. Enunwa will be back healthy. There are simply too many factors working against Herndon to expect a monster season.

Last year he had 39 receptions for 502 yards and 4 TD. I think this is a reasonable expectation for him this season as well.

You skepticism is outlandish. DARNOLD TO HERNDON ALL DAY

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Darnold, this year, will far exceed the 2,800 yards he threw last year

and Herndon never really played until week 6

• Upvote 3

This^

As a fan who has watched this young man develop from the time he choose the “U” I knew we
drafted a special player.
Chris conducted himself perfectly during his college time, no issues and plenty of community involvement. Was he a typical college student who partied and had a good time, of this I am sure.
He made a dumb mistake, how many of us, at his age have not done the same? I am certain that this young man will accept this punishment and learn from this experience.
As far as Chris as a player moving forward, the Jets got a diamond in the rough, an right before your eyes last year we all saw that diamond take shape with each game.
I assure you if he stays healthy he will become one of the best TE’s in the game. An for the Jets, if Wesco is as advertised, we will have two weapons that will not only help Sam but open up the game for both the other WR’s and RB’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

27 minutes ago, fltflo said:

As a fan who has watched this young man develop from the time he choose the “U” I knew we
drafted a special player.
Chris conducted himself perfectly during his college time, no issues and plenty of community involvement. Was he a typical college student who partied and had a good time, of this I am sure.
He made a dumb mistake, how many of us, at his age have not done the same? I am certain that this young man will accept this punishment and learn from this experience.
As far as Chris as a player moving forward, the Jets got a diamond in the rough, an right before your eyes last year we all saw that diamond take shape with each game.
I assure you if he stays healthy he will become one of the best TE’s in the game. An for the Jets, if Wesco is as advertised, we will have two weapons that will not only help Sam but open up the game for both the other WR’s and RB’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s neat and all but I still think you guys are overrating the hell out of him at this point. The next great TE? Pump the brakes. He looked good last season. Posted some pretty PFF numbers too. I’d like to see a year or two more before I gush with excitement like everyone else. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

At least a two game suspension.  The personal conduct policy requires a minimum 2 games for offenses involving alcohol.  

If I recall correctly his dui also resulted in a crash, but I’m not sure if it was just his car or if it involved another driver.  

If another driver was involved he may get a game or two more for aggravating circumstances. 

one car crash

Actually what I'm curious to know about is how good can Herndon be? I mean like when he hits his full stride what will it look like? Could we be looking at someone as good as say Mickey Shuler? Will Herndon be a 70 catch a year guy? What I know is Darnold will be able to deliver nice passes -as many as he can handle. So really it's up to Herndon if he's a consumate pro, the sky is the limit.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If you want a backup TE in fantasy football I think Herndon would be a good, late/cheap option in the draft.

6th maybe 5th or 4th with a good to great pre season.   Could be a 3rd or 4th round pick depending on how many homer/ff hybrids are playing.

• Upvote 1

You skepticism is outlandish. DARNOLD TO HERNDON ALL DAY

Herndon came on when there was almost no one left for darnold to throw to last season.

I That said, there is a comfort factor that most likely developed as a result. That’s a good thing but hopefully darnold will be spreading the ball around to all of his guys. We have crowder, bell, Anderson, Enunwa, Montgomery and potentially Wesco as legit targets for Sam. I’m hoping they all get a healthy dose of the ball.
I’d say 50 catches is about right for Herndon this year if he stays healthy. And that would mean we are spreading it around and getting it done on the field. He’s such a great asset to have and I’m looking forward to his progression

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s neat and all but I still think you guys are overrating the hell out of him at this point. The next great TE? Pump the brakes. He looked good last season. Posted some pretty PFF numbers too. I’d like to see a year or two more before I gush with excitement like everyone else. 

maybe...but pff ranked him as the 12th best TE in football last year....its not completely crazy to say he may be a top 5 TE this year. he would prob compete with OJ Howard and Njoku for that top 5 position.

• Upvote 1

Jets have potential breakout sophomore in TE Chris Herndon

After a strong showing as a rookie last season, tight end Chris Herndon is ready to take his game to the next level in 2019.

Heading into the 2018 NFL draft, Chris Herndon wasn’t expected to be one of the most productive tight ends in the NFL. But after the Jets selected him in the fourth round out of Miami, Herndon made an immediate impact that likely caused many teams to regret not drafting him earlier.

Herndon caught 39 passes for 502 yards and four touchdowns in his first season at the pro level, leading all NFL rookie tight ends in both receptions and touchdown catches in 2018.

As he prepares for his sophomore campaign, Herndon is ready to take on more responsibility and build on the success he had last year (via team reporter Olivia Landis?

I want to improve from last year. I want to continue to do what they [the coaches] ask of me and even more. Just try to be that player that takes that next step and be more dependable in games and try to put more on my shoulders and more on myself to hold myself more accountable.

It shouldn’t be difficult for Herndon to take his game to the next level in 2019, considering the foolproof recipe that led to his rookie success last year:

Staying focused and not being complacent. Not trying to focus on what I did the previous week or the previous play and having the next-up mentality for the next play. Trying to bring my all to each practice, each workout, each meeting, and hoping it translated to the game. I feel like it worked pretty well for me.

One challenge Herndon will face in 2019, along with the rest of his offensive teammates? Learning a different scheme and playbook under new head coach Adam Gase. But Herndon appears prepared to attack the mental aspect of his preparation just as much as the physical:

You never know what’s going to be thrown in the next day, so before you move on you have to make sure you have what you learned today down because it’s not going to slow down any more than it already is. So staying on top of things and constantly studying and constantly asking questions and making sure that you’re not making the same mistakes from the previous practice will help.

Herndon established himself as a reliable target last year, building a valuable rapport with fellow rookie Sam Darnold, the team’s franchise quarterback. That chemistry will be vital as they both navigate the challenges of learning a new scheme.

While the addition of new weapons like Le’Veon Bell, Jamison Crowder and Trevon Wesco could lead some to believe Herndon’s opportunities will shrink in 2019, the presence of improved talent around him could also open up more opportunities for big plays, as opposing defenses focus their attentions on bigger name

Either way, Herndon appears more than prepared for whenever the ball does come his way in 2019.

• Sympathy 2

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He had a similar first season to Dustin Keller fwiw.

Only Dustin Keller couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag. Dustin Keller was strictly a pass catcher and was rarely used in running formations. Chris Herndon, at least up to this point is not only a pass catcher every bit as good as Keller but also a very good blocker. In other words, Herndon is developing into the first total package TE the Jets have had in a very long time. Keller never was.

• Upvote 1