k-met57

Chris Herndon....what are we looking at?

6 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Herndon showed some promise as a rookie, but some of these predictions are a little outlandish.

He's going to be suspended and miss a portion of the season. The Jets signed Bell and Crowder, both of whom soak up a ton of targets. Enunwa will be back healthy. There are simply too many factors working against Herndon to expect a monster season.

Last year he had 39 receptions for 502 yards and 4 TD. I think this is a reasonable expectation for him this season as well.

there's some truth to this but also with more options and Sam in his second year id expect that the Jets will be having longer drives and more offensive yards from scrimmage.  Herndon will get his share.  Bell is a check down and wont be getting the ball if Herndon is open.  Crowder and Herndon will work the middle of the field, but the Jets had a slot receiver last year and Herndon still got his share.  I personally believe Herndon is a star in the making and should blossom this year.  Remember he started slow last year and only took over as starter after he began improving and holding on to the ball.

Id predict 60 receptions and 750 yds if he plays the entire year.  With his suspension that might be a little less.

48 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Bell is a check down and wont be getting the ball if Herndon is open.  Crowder and Herndon will work the middle of the field, but the Jets had a slot receiver last year and Herndon still got his share.

Pretty sure Kearse was out there collecting Social Security. Looking forward to seeing what Crowder brings. I do expect a lot more from Bell in the passing game than just serving as a check down. Jokes aside, that's where I expect Wesco to get his catches -if he gets any- serving in both the FB and second TE positions as a blocker/outlet. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

6th maybe 5th or 4th with a good to great pre season.   Could be a 3rd or 4th round pick depending on how many homer/ff hybrids are playing.

The 2 game suspension will push most people away from taking him as their #1 TE, even though he could end the year as a Top 10 TE in the NFL.  I won a league last year by getting two guys late in drafts who were suspended to start the season (Edelman and Mark Ingram).  The hard part is having to compete early in the season using other guys and hope you're in playoff contention once they become available again.

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2019 at 6:14 PM, jetstream23 said:

The 2 game suspension will push most people away from taking him as their #1 TE, even though he could end the year as a Top 10 TE in the NFL.  I won a league last year by getting two guys late in drafts who were suspended to start the season (Edelman and Mark Ingram).  The hard part is having to compete early in the season using other guys and hope you're in playoff contention once they become available again.

Herndon is a late round sleeper in fantasy 

I’m gonna go TE early and then hedge and take Herndon later on

• Upvote 1

But Mo is a thug for blowing a .09

too early to put this guy in canton.  it would be great if he did turn into a good te but the dui is troubling.  didn't the dui's sink asj?  it's going to be tough to get this kind of behavior out of a guys system if he does have a problem.

That’s neat and all but I still think you guys are overrating the hell out of him at this point. The next great TE? Pump the brakes. He looked good last season. Posted some pretty PFF numbers too. I’d like to see a year or two more before I gush with excitement like everyone else. 

Fair enough, but by the end of this season I am fairly confident even you will be convinced we pick a pure diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fltflo said:

Fair enough, but by the end of this season I am fairly confident even you will be convinced we pick a pure diamond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so. 

Go jets.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:12 PM, Peace Frog said:

I think having Herndon and a healthy Enunwa on the field at the same time is going to create huge mismatches for CBs, smaller safeties and slower LBs. 

These guys are athletic mooses able to manhandle defenders and create space for themselves. 

A Robby taking the top off makes these guys so much more dangerous. 

F*ck it, Sam is throwing for 4000 yards this year. 

I think the skills position are very complimentary and should really fit Gase's system well.  Crowder's short area quickness makes him a tough cover and can give Sam a lot of quick easy reads that net positive yardage.  Robby is a legit deep threat who has great chemistry with Sam.   Q is versatile and very tough to bring down (when healthy).  Herndon seems to have a good feel for working the middle of the field and finding holes in the zone.  Throw in a HOF caliber RB/WR and there really shouldnt be many excuses for Gase unless Sam just sh*ts the bed and bust out which I cant really see happening. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, Bowles Movement said:

there's some truth to this but also with more options and Sam in his second year id expect that the Jets will be having longer drives and more offensive yards from scrimmage.  Herndon will get his share.  Bell is a check down and wont be getting the ball if Herndon is open.  Crowder and Herndon will work the middle of the field, but the Jets had a slot receiver last year and Herndon still got his share.  I personally believe Herndon is a star in the making and should blossom this year.  Remember he started slow last year and only took over as starter after he began improving and holding on to the ball.

Id predict 60 receptions and 750 yds if he plays the entire year.  With his suspension that might be a little less.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the skills position are very complimentary and should really fit Gase's system well.  Crowder's short area quickness makes him a tough cover and can give Sam a lot of quick easy reads that net positive yardage.  Robby is a legit deep threat who has great chemistry with Sam.   Q is versatile and very tough to bring down (when healthy).  Herndon seems to have a good feel for working the middle of the field and finding holes in the zone.  Throw in a HOF caliber RB/WR and there really shouldnt be many excuses for Gase unless Sam just sh*ts the bed and bust out which I cant really see happening. 

Call me crazy but didn't most of Herndons catches come on the outside? At least that is what I remember from last season. Q is the big guy in this offense that works the middle of the field, although I'm not saying Herndon can't do it. 

On 6/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, slats said:

Pretty sure Kearse was out there collecting Social Security. Looking forward to seeing what Crowder brings. I do expect a lot more from Bell in the passing game than just serving as a check down. Jokes aside, that's where I expect Wesco to get his catches -if he gets any- serving in both the FB and second TE positions as a blocker/outlet. 

i defo see wesco getting some PA opportunities where they expect bell to get it...   3and and 2....

On 6/5/2019 at 3:53 PM, JiF said:

shouldnt be many excuses for Gase unless Sam just sh*ts the bed and bust out which I cant really see happening. 

offensive line beinig offensive again could put a crimp in this

On 6/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, Thai Jet said:

Let's hope it's the minimum obviously. Hopefully it's a learning lesson.

Jets player: learning lesson

Player for any other team: irredeemable thug turd who will explode the locker room by trying to light his own alcoholic farts 

• Upvote 2

On June 2, 2019 at 2:20 PM, k-met57 said:

maybe...but pff ranked him as the 12th best TE in football last year....its not completely crazy to say he may be a top 5 TE this year. he would prob compete with OJ Howard and Njoku for that top 5 position.

Chris Herndon doesn't have the speed , or the athletic ability to be a top ten TE .     No Defense coordinator is staying up at night worrying about stopping  Chris Herndon.    

With that said , can he be a productive  starting Te in the Jets offense? Without a doubt.    With the addition of RB L Bell and the slot receiver you signed in Fa (J Crowder), C Herndon numbers are going down not up.       He's about 500 yard receiver in 2019.   If he is productive Te in the Redzone you can live with those numbers.

the Jets top five Offense threats defense will game plan for stopping. 1. L Bell 2. Q Enunwa - if healthy ( big question mark with him) Most dangerous from the slot - signed a slot receiver so that hurts him. 3. J Crowder 4. R Anderson ( pure speed threat ) 5. Chris Herndon     When you're the fifth option when your Wr corps isn't exactly top tier says you're overrating Herndon game bigtime.

Again save this thread , and let's see how far I'm off.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

Chris Herndon doesn't have the speed , or the athletic ability to be a top ten TE .     No Defense coordinator is staying up at night worrying about stopping  Chris Herndon.    
With that said , can he be a productive  starting Te in the Jets offense? Without a doubt.    With the addition of RB L Bell and the slot receiver you signed in Fa (J Crowder), C Herndon numbers are going down not up.       He's about 500 yard receiver in 2019.   If he is productive Te in the Redzone you can live with those numbers.
the Jets top five Offense threats defense will game plan for stopping. 1. L Bell 2. Q Enunwa - if healthy ( big question mark with him) Most dangerous from the slot - signed a slot receiver so that hurts him. 3. J Crowder 4. R Anderson ( pure speed threat ) 5. Chris Herndon     When you're the fifth option when your Wr corps isn't exactly top tier says you're overrating Herndon game bigtime.

You are wrong. Herndon has all the athletic ability of a modern NFL TE. He can run (4.67 40) he can jump and he can catch the ball. He made a number of awesome catches last year (GB game?) that were top tier TE plays. On top of that he is a good enough blocker to actually stay on the field. As long as he continues to evolve his game (like any young player) he is a cornerstone piece for us.

• Confused 1

On 6/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, bealeb319 said:

If darnold takes a step toward then Herndon takes a step back. The best qbs in football spread the ball and I think darnold will find a new security blanket in both bell and Crowder.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

this year he will be more than a safety valve. there will be more downfield plays designed for him with Gase in charge.  Bates was an inferior play caller and designer

These guys are athletic mooses able to manhandle defenders and create space for themselves. 

I couldn’t resist ... had to cross the red sea and look it up ... no “s”

IMG_7874.JPG.2a0ea1e0e9f797742648134b168940b7.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

how-many-raiders-fans-does-ittaketo-change-alight-bulb-raiders-10611440.png

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

(yawn) You are "off" all the time.  Over a decade of it here and JI.  You must have like a 25:1 ratio of incorrect to correct.  It's a lock.  Wish there were prop bets on Fan Duel for your predictions.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

(yawn) You are "off" all the time.  Over a decade of it here and JI.  You must have like a 25:1 ratio of incorrect to correct.  It's a lock.  Wish there were prop bets on Fan Duel for your predictions.

He also celebrated the Raiders taking Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

He also celebrated the Raiders taking Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson. 

The list of his egregiously wrong Raiduh predictions is historic.  But he's also wrong just about with every opinion he has about other teams too.  It really is an amazing feat.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

The list of his egregiously wrong Raiduh predictions is historic.  But he's also wrong just about with every opinion he has about other teams too.  It really is an amazing feat.

some of those posts were gold....the raiders should have about 8 SB's according to his scouting of their players.

• Upvote 1

IF I buy an authentic jersey this might be the one I buy #89 HERNDON there will be way too many "me too" jerseys at the stadium this season Darnold-Adams-Bell. 

The new boss appears to be a Herndon fan.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/06/joe-douglas-says-philadelphia-eagles-almost-drafted-signed-these-2-notable-jets-players.html

Namely — there are two other players in particular Douglas cited as past targets for the Eagles, one in the NFL Draft, one in free agency.

From the draft, that was tight end Chris Herndon, who the Jets picked 107th overall in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft out of Miami.

Of course, the Eagles had already drafted a tight end — emerging South Dakota State alum Dallas Goedert — in the second round, and didn’t have a need for Herndon as the draft progressed.

• Upvote 1

Herndon has worked out OK for a guy that half the board wanted cut after his first game as a rookie.

The signs are good - looking for a year of solid growth from him, with 55-60 receptions.

• Upvote 2

IF I buy an authentic jersey this might be the one I buy #89 HERNDON there will be way too many "me too" jerseys at the stadium this season Darnold-Adams-Bell. 
I used to think this way but now I would rather buy the ones you consider "me too". Guys like darnold and Adams will be on the team long-term which means I won't have another dee milliner or Calvin Pryor jersey rotting away in my closet. I wouldn't buy a bell one though cause I don't see him on the team in 4 years. I'm not about spending hundreds of dollars on jerseys that sit in my closet anymore. Hopefully Herndon lasts awhile on the jets but he has one season of play so far which has looked decent who knows what he will do next year. Darnold I guess is the same way but I view him as a safer bet.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:54 AM, mrcoops said:

Herndon has worked out OK for a guy that half the board wanted cut after his first game as a rookie.

The signs are good - looking for a year of solid growth from him, with 55-60 receptions.

Ok?  He had over 500 yards as a part time rookie tight end I would be seriously disappointed if he didn’t break 700 yards and at least 5tds as a full time starter even with the suspension 

22 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Ok?  He had over 500 yards as a part time rookie tight end I would be seriously disappointed if he didn’t break 700 yards and at least 5tds as a full time starter even with the suspension 

I think your sarcasm detector may need some adjusting, Phil.

Herndon had a very impressive rookie year - despite lots of Jets fans wanting him cut during his first game.

I know some of you guys are joking, but some are serious.  Wesco caught 28 passes for 373 yards and 2 TDs in 3 years at WVU.  He is not a size-speed freak.  He is good after the catch, but more in the Bavaro/Dave Casper carrying people mold.  Not a running back after the catch. 

I think I saw every catch he made at WVU.  I can see him finding some success if the run game takes off.  WVU seemed to do a lot of play action and then quick hit him up the seam off the line.  They may manufacture him some touches like that.  He is not getting open against man coverage or taking anyone's targets and he is pretty raw.  Most likely way he changes things for Herndon is by being a better blocker and keeping him off the field because of the other options at WR/RB/FB.   He will probably be a fan favorite, unless he drops one early and they decide to treat him like Brady, Becht or Mulligan.  Being a late pick he has a better shot of staying in good graces.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:02 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Can we wait and see though?

Why?

Thats the fun part of sports, predictions, projections and comparisons.

We watched over a year, he needs to continue to improve.  But its obvious to anyone who watched him he has the tools and the skills to develop into a really nice TE for us.