Champ Kelly Interview Today (6/3)

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I don't think it's something to be overly worried about, but the point simply being it's something people are getting really on board with that is far from a slam dunk, for both the NFL rules related to it, as well as JVOR's point of whether they would even want this marriage, whether that be for personal or professional reasons (e.g., Douglas could have his own preferences for the job).

I mentioned above that Gase, Douglas, and Kelly all worked together in Chicago. Gase and Kelly previously spent six years together in Denver, coming over to Chicago at the same time. I don't think this would be a forced marriage at all, I think this would be three men who worked together previously deciding whether or not they wanted to do it again. My thinking is that Gase has to sign off on the GM choice, and then the GM would be able to fill out his own staff. If the GM does turn out to be Douglas, a well-respected guy like Kelly, with ties to both men, would seem on the surface to be an excellent fit. 

And sure, it's no slam dunk that Chicago would let him walk, but I think they would for the reasons mentioned. 

Also, I think sometimes these guys hide behind getting blocked from a position rather than publicly turning it down. Could be that a guy like DeFilippo never wanted to work for the Jets, or Bowles or Mac, and asked the Eagles to take the hit for him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When I got married about 6 weeks ago, my sister got me as a gift a framed picture of Dwight signed by Rainn Wilson.  He signed it as my "Bestest Mensch".  Best wedding gift ever. 

That's pretty awesome. It's nice when friends actually "get it" and are able slip a unique gift like that through the usual rigamarole of Wedding gifts. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's pretty awesome. It's nice when friends actually "get it" and are able slip a unique gift like that through the usual rigamarole of Wedding gifts. 

My sister is great with stuff like that.  For my birthday this year she also got me a "Scott's Tots" t-shirt.  LOL. 

• Sympathy 1

Liking all we’re hearing about both guys ... only thing that gives me a 2nd thought here ... is i’m seeing lots if talk about Champ coming in as the #2 guy underneath Douglas

... if that might happen ... wouldn’t Douglas be the better candidate to hope for?

I don’t know anything about them than what ive been hearing in the last month ... have some of the “champ as a possible #2 guy” been coming from the media (or any legit sources) ... or just from us speculating here?

Math-wise it doesnt make sense to me that bringing Champ is at the #1 spot is as strong of a hire ... if possibilities of him being the #2 guy underneath Douglas exist
JMO

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My sister is great with stuff like that.  For my birthday this year she also got me a "Scott's Tots" t-shirt.  LOL. 

lol  That's episode that makes me the most uncomfortable of them all. Can't even watch it. :) 

• Upvote 1

It's less about the person and more about their philosophy. If there #1 goal isn't to surround Darnold with enough talent to allow him to continue to develop then they shouldn't get the job. It's as simple as that 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's less about the person and more about their philosophy. If there #1 goal isn't to surround Darnold with enough talent to allow him to continue to develop then they shouldn't get the job. It's as simple as that 

Do you think that a candidate is going to sit down for an interview and state that he is not interested in improving the talent level around Darnold and that he doesn't care if Darnold continues to develop? 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you think that a candidate is going to sit down for an interview and state that he is not interested in improving the talent level around Darnold and that he doesn't care if Darnold continues to develop? 

Making it a priority and being interested are two different things.

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Making it a priority and being interested are two different things.

The team's talent level is the GM's only real concern.  What other ******* priority is a GM candidate going to have? The only things that might interfere are things that mess with the future (contract issues/trading away future draft picks).

Personally,  I think this whole - use the whole draft and FA money on the O-line sh*t is for the birds.  Outside of LT, many great offensive linemen are found in later rounds and with lesser contracts.  I think burning 1sts and 2nds and $10M contracts on centers and guards is generally a bad philosophy.  Sometimes, a guy like Nelson will work out, but most of the time you end up with Jonathan Cooper, or a contract you want to ditch by year 2. 

• Upvote 1

Getting both Douglas and Kelly to accept jobs here would be a complete home run.  I've convinced myself that I'd be fine with either guy as GM and it's obvious that there's a comfort level between Gase and both candidates.  Getting Kelly to accept being a #2 to Douglas is probably the big question.  He may only want (or be able) to bolt Chicago for a GM position.  Not sure if he wants to (or Chicago would let him) leave for a non-GM front office job.

Regardless of the outcome it seems clear that the Jets will be run by Gase and a GM that Gase wants.  We're all in with this guy for at least the next few years.  Buckle up, buttercups!

• Upvote 1

Good point. The other thing to consider is just on a personal level. While you hope that the marriage works, it's not that easy to blend two top guy personalities together when we know nothing about their methods for evaluating or thoughts about running a front office, especially if they haven't worked together before. It could easily devolve into a backstabbing situation given the fact that our ownership would presumably carry the burden of making sure operations ran smoothly.

I think the real key would be allowing Douglas, the GM in this scenario, to hire his own staff. If he thinks Kelly would be a great right hand then let him deal with any potential issues staff wise. Remember, the whole idea of having a GM is so that he can generally manage the team

I would hate to think the jets have some plan like what they pulled with Rhule, to try and force directors and scouts on the next GM

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The team's talent level is the GM's only real concern.  What other ******* priority is a GM candidate going to have? The only things that might interfere are things that mess with the future (contract issues/trading away future draft picks).

Personally,  I think this whole - use the whole draft and FA money on the O-line sh*t is for the birds.  Outside of LT, many great offensive linemen are found in later rounds and with lesser contracts.  I think burning 1sts and 2nds and $10M contracts on centers and guards is generally a bad philosophy.  Sometimes, a guy like Nelson will work out, but most of the time you end up with Jonathan Cooper, or a contract you want to ditch by year 2. 

So then just ignore the offensive line and keeping drafting DT's. Got it.

4 hours ago, slats said:

I mentioned above that Gase, Douglas, and Kelly all worked together in Chicago. Gase and Kelly previously spent six years together in Denver, coming over to Chicago at the same time. I don't think this would be a forced marriage at all, I think this would be three men who worked together previously deciding whether or not they wanted to do it again. My thinking is that Gase has to sign off on the GM choice, and then the GM would be able to fill out his own staff. If the GM does turn out to be Douglas, a well-respected guy like Kelly, with ties to both men, would seem on the surface to be an excellent fit. 

And sure, it's no slam dunk that Chicago would let him walk, but I think they would for the reasons mentioned. 

Also, I think sometimes these guys hide behind getting blocked from a position rather than publicly turning it down. Could be that a guy like DeFilippo never wanted to work for the Jets, or Bowles or Mac, and asked the Eagles to take the hit for him. 

Exactly ...would you want to work for Bowles on the Jets with Macc as ther GM ?

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

So then just ignore the offensive line and keeping drafting DT's. Got it.

So there's no middle ground between blowing the entire draft and FA money on the OL is the same as ignoring the line entirely?  

And draft DTs?  Because that's what your crystal ball says will be the only two options to whoever our next GM is?