Jump to content

NFL Average Career Length


Recommended Posts

This is an example of how to lie with statistics.

The roster is 90 players in training camp. They cut down to 53 in season with only 22 starters plus kicker punter and long snapper.

That means 68 players do not start. What does that do the the overall career length average?

If I have 1 guy play for 15 years and 2 guys get cut in their 1st training camp then the average career is 5 years. 

We all know the age at which players at specific positions start to show their age. These stats tell us nothing. They're actually worse than nothing. They are propaganda. 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

This is an example of how to lie with statistics.

The roster is 90 players in training camp. They cut down to 53 in season with only 22 starters plus kicker punter and long snapper.

That means 68 players do not start. What does that do the the overall career length average?

If I have 1 guy play for 15 years and 2 guys get cut in their 1st training camp then the average career is 5 years. 

We all know the age at which players at specific positions start to show their age. These stats tell us nothing. They're actually worse than nothing. They are propaganda. 

 

But some of those statistics very specifically excluded guys who get cut in camp.  For example, the average career of a guy who makes a team's opening day roster in his rookie season is 6 years.  That's still an incredibly short career compared to other professions.  You'd assume playing from about 21 or 22 years old until 27 or 28.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But some of those statistics very specifically excluded guys who get cut in camp.  For example, the average career of a guy who makes a team's opening day roster in his rookie season is 6 years.  That's still an incredibly short career compared to other professions.  You'd assume playing from about 21 or 22 years old until 27 or 28.

Most of those are special teams players. Their career is about 2 years on average.

Don't forget that there are 22 starters plus a nickel corner, a pass rusher, slot receiver, and maybe a FB or an F TE. Add in a punter, kicker and long snapper and you have 29 guys with any playing time to speak of. 

That leaves 24 guys that really only get on the field for specials. None of them will see a second contract. 

RBs have a legitimate gripe. The good ones last maybe 7 years on average. The rest of them could play until 35 or more if they were good enough and they still wanted to put in the work.

Lets just be realistic and say the average career was 8 or 9 years. That's still pretty short. 

I'm just tired of hearing the 3, or 4 year career average and people expecting me to just accept it as fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1st rounders average 9 years - so that's basically their 1st 5 year contract and 1 more contract. They are the best players and probably been beating up on the not so good players their whole lives so they are not getting as beaten up thus longer careers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's continue to turn our brains to mush so that billionaires can get richer! 

Who is with me?!? 

Lets make believe that players dont get paid really well.  That AB could make anywhere near what he makes off the field as he does playing football.

Or that someone forces them to take the field and cash those checks.

And next play, hit that they outlaw, the next player they suspend in an attempt to make the game safer lets continue to go after the idiot Goddell for ruining the game making it unwatchable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's continue to turn our brains to mush so that billionaires can get richer! 

Who is with me?!? 

Who could have ever known that football was dangerous. Meanwhile, Tom Brady, who has enough money to last him 4 lifetimes still plays. They can strike if they so choose, but it won't last long because players know that every game they miss will be money they will never recover. They will be striking/losing money for the benefit of future players. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who could have ever known that football was dangerous. Meanwhile, Tom Brady, who has enough money to last him 4 lifetimes still plays. They can strike if they so choose, but it won't last long because players know that every game they miss will be money they will never recover. They will be striking/losing money for the benefit of future players. 

 

maybe this is just semantics but a strike is defined as a collective refusal to work under the conditions required by employers 

once the CBA expires there are no conditions or even a new contract offered

not signing a new contract is different from a strike, in fact it could be considered a lockout

that's just me nitpicking tho 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lets make believe that players dont get paid really well.  That AB could make anywhere near what he makes off the field as he does playing football.

Or that someone forces them to take the field and cash those checks.

And next play, hit that they outlaw, the next player they suspend in an attempt to make the game safer lets continue to go after the idiot Goddell for ruining the game making it unwatchable.

 

 

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who could have ever known that football was dangerous. Meanwhile, Tom Brady, who has enough money to last him 4 lifetimes still plays. They can strike if they so choose, but it won't last long because players know that every game they miss will be money they will never recover. They will be striking/losing money for the benefit of future players. 

 

What bullsh*t. I don't get you guys.  That makes it right?  They know it is dangerous, so it's okay for a bunch of billionaires to do nothing but get paid for laundering their shirts?  Especially when said billionaires are so incapable of handling their own money that they had to instill caps on the amount they can each spend per year?  You want Rontez Miles to accept the risk of damaging his brain to earn money, but you don't expect Dan Snyder to understand that if he pays too much in contract money he won't make a profit?  You want a free market?  Then let there be a free market.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

maybe this is just semantics but a strike is defined as a collective refusal to work under the conditions required by employers 

once the CBA expires there are no conditions or even a new contract offered

not signing a new contract is different from a strike, in fact it could be considered a lockout

that's just me nitpicking tho 

Are you sure?  I kept reading about Leveon Bell's "holdout" in 2018. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Let’s strike and give up a 1/3rd to a 1/4 of our career!!

Who’s with me?!?

The players giving up 1/3 to 1/4 of their career are not the ones who want the strike, and do not control the union. It’s the top end player who controls the union.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

 

What bullsh*t. I don't get you guys.  That makes it right?  They know it is dangerous, so it's okay for a bunch of billionaires to do nothing but get paid for laundering their shirts?  Especially when said billionaires are so incapable of handling their own money that they had to instill caps on the amount they can each spend per year?  You want Rontez Miles to accept the risk of damaging his brain to earn money, but you don't expect Dan Snyder to understand that if he pays too much in contract money he won't make a profit?  You want a free market?  Then let there be a free market.

The bullshlt is to on one side of our mouths we whine about the game being "pussified" and from he other side complain about how dangerous it is.   

Lets go further.  Lets make believe that the cap is in place to save the owners from themselves.  Because it's not about having NY, LA, Chicago etc stockpile all the good FAs and leave the smaller markets behind.  It's not about parody anymore. Better idea, let turn the most successful league into baseball.  Yes the parody model isn't broken, let's blow it up

Football is dangerous, no shlt.  So let's pay players more than the owners because some will become veggies and to steal your phrase, the players can be saved from themselves and pick one of the other equally lucrative occupations that they turned their backs on.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's continue to turn our brains to mush so that billionaires can get richer! 

Who is with me?!? 

Clearly every player in the league is with you. The players like getting rich too and undeniably have decided that it's worth the risk. Maybe their other options aren't so appealing and carry more risk for far less gain. I certainly think the NFL should provide players with lifetime healthcare though as it's a small pool of employees who do carry the inherent risks associated with a very physical contact sport and the NFL does just fine monetarily. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are you sure?  I kept reading about Leveon Bell's "holdout" in 2018. 

You mean as allowed by the CBA?  Because if he doesn't want to sign a tender he doesn't have to?  

He didn't have a contract to hold out of and chose not to risk his health for the Steelers without security for one paycheck.  Kind of the argument, there are choices

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The bullshlt is to on one side of our mouths we whine about the game being "pussified" and from he other side complain about how dangerous it is.   

Lets go further.  Lets make believe that the cap is in place to save the owners from themselves.  Because it's not about having NY, LA, Chicago etc stockpile all the good FAs and leave the smaller markets behind.  It's not about parody anymore. Better idea, let turn the most successful league into baseball.  Yes the parody model isn't broken, let's blow it up

Football is dangerous, no shlt.  So let's pay players more than the owners because some will become veggies and to steal your phrase, the players can be saved from themselves and pick one of the other equally lucrative occupations that they turned their backs on.  

Parody League.   QFT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The players giving up 1/3 to 1/4 of their career are not the ones who want the strike, and do not control the union. It’s the top end player who controls the union.

Of course but the top end players are the ones that control/push the voting on each team and Mr Irrelevant isn’t protesting against the QB or the star RB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

maybe this is just semantics but a strike is defined as a collective refusal to work under the conditions required by employers 

once the CBA expires there are no conditions or even a new contract offered

not signing a new contract is different from a strike, in fact it could be considered a lockout

that's just me nitpicking tho 

Whatever you want to call it the results are the same. The billionaires are still billionaires while the players, who most can't make 100k a year let alone 5 million, will lose a year of their inflated incomes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

 

What bullsh*t. I don't get you guys.  That makes it right?  They know it is dangerous, so it's okay for a bunch of billionaires to do nothing but get paid for laundering their shirts?  Especially when said billionaires are so incapable of handling their own money that they had to instill caps on the amount they can each spend per year?  You want Rontez Miles to accept the risk of damaging his brain to earn money, but you don't expect Dan Snyder to understand that if he pays too much in contract money he won't make a profit?  You want a free market?  Then let there be a free market.

I don't care about the owners or the players. If the players can hold out for significantly more more money God bless them. 

The problem is most realize the price they pay for not playing won't benefit them that much it will benefit future players more. If a player making 5 million strikes for one year he is not seeing that money ever again. 

It's like when Bell held out all last year on principal. Sure he made a point but he cost himself millions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can read into it all we want... look at the Idzik 12 and MACs big draft. those guys count ina meaningful way.  Meaning if you leave school for the NFL your chances of a career greater than 5 years is fairly slim.  We see all the big names but 10 times more are on an opening roster or practice squad that are totally out of the league in 3 years.   

The message is clear....  it is a short pony ride for 90 percent of all those who ever out on a uniform. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's like when Bell held out all last year on principal. Sure he made a point but he cost himself millions. 

Possibly, not necessarily though.

If the Steelers burned him out and overusing him knowing they were going to let him walk a year later and he was injured or not the same player he could have lost years and money in the long run.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Possibly, not necessarily though.

If the Steelers burned him out and overusing him knowing they were going to let him walk a year later and he was injured or not the same player he could have lost years and money in the long run.  

He's getting 52 million from the Jets with 25 million guaranteed. The Steelers offer would have guaranteed him about 20 million in year one. I love Bell but he made a huge financial mistake.

 

"According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's getting 52 million from the Jets with 25 million guaranteed. The Steelers offer would have guaranteed him about 20 million in year one. I love Bell but he made a huge financial mistake.

 

"According to NFL.com, the Steelers made one final offer to Bell on Monday, just hours before the NFL's 4 p.m. ET deadline for teams to negotiate a new contract with their franchise player. The offer from the Steelers was worth a total of $70 million over five years (or $14 million per season). Although the offer would have given Bell the largest multi-year contract of any running back in the NFL, he turned it down, and one reason he likely did that, is because it was nowhere near his asking price, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of $17 million per season."

And if he burnt out after being run into the ground who knows what he gets after the Steelers toss him to the curb?  Playing through the 52 mil deal if he stays productive would be a whole lot better than like say Murray after leaving it on the field in Dallas 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We can read into it all we want... look at the Idzik 12 and MACs big draft. those guys count ina meaningful way.  Meaning if you leave school for the NFL your chances of a career greater than 5 years is fairly slim.  We see all the big names but 10 times more are on an opening roster or practice squad that are totally out of the league in 3 years.   

The message is clear....  it is a short pony ride for 90 percent of all those who ever out on a uniform. 

It certainly isn't fair. There are countless others that never get the chance to play. Many of them go on to play arena or CFL. 

Christian Hackenberg made millions then signed in the AFF for 70k. 

I don't really care. I'd like them to make as much as they can but I am not feeling sorry for men playing a game for a living. 

If they were smart they would all retire at 27 and enjoy that money but they almost never do. 

They keep playing until they are forced to retire. 

It's nice to be a Billionaire but you can't buy this feeling.Related image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It certainly isn't fair. There are countless others that never get the chance to play. Many of them go on to play arena or CFL. 

Christian Hackenberg made millions then signed in the AFF for 70k. 

I don't really care. I'd like them to make as much as they can but I am not feeling sorry for men playing a game for a living. 

If they were smart they would all retire at 27 and enjoy that money but they almost never do. 

They keep playing until they are forced to retire. 

It's nice to be a Billionaire but you can't buy this feeling.Related image

Hack made millions?  Really ?  That would surprise me. Too lazy to google it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Hack made millions?  Really ?  That would surprise me. Too lazy to google it.

Estimated Career Earnings

YEAR TEAM SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUCTURE BONUS OPTION BONUS INCENTIVE TOTAL CASH
2016 Player Cash Earnings $450,000 $1,589,311 - - - - - $2,039,311
2017 Player Cash Earnings $661,832 - - - - - - $661,832
2018 Player Cash Earnings $68,400 - - - - - - $68,400
3 seasons $1,180,232 $1,589,311 - - - - - $2,769,543
                 
SEASONS TEAM SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUCTURE BONUS OPTION BONUS INCENTIVE TOTAL CASH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

 If they were smart they would all retire at 27 and enjoy that money but they almost never do. 

The smartest thing to do is kind of what Wilkerson did, but it will destroy the league.  Take the money, and then loaf your way through those years, keeping your body as intact as possible.

Best case scenario for most every player, put together a few good years, get a huge guaranteed contract, and then protect yourself and get out.  Sure, there's a chance you could get a 3rd contract, but if you're not a QB, who the league works hard to protect, is it worth the risk?  I'd say no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...