Rookie watch from around the NFL (ESPN)

Progress reports for all 32 NFL first-round picks

Full ESPN article at http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26858034/progress-reports-all-32-nfl-first-round-picks

I selected a few notable guys to highlight...

No. 3: New York Jets

DT Quinnen Williams: Williams hasn't practiced because of a calf-muscle injury that occurred on the first day of OTAs ("I think he was on the banquet circuit," coach Adam Gase cracked), but he has impressed teammates with his willingness to learn on the field and in the classroom. They hope to get him in team drills before the offseason ends. They envision Williams as a three-down player who can play multiple positions and should improve the interior pass rush. -- Rich Cimini

Where Williams ultimately ends up getting most of his playing time will be interesting to watch.  I could see him as NT with Henry and Leo at DE.  He could also move to one DE spot with McClendon playing NT and either Leo or Henry at the other DE spot.  The Jets could also morph into a 4 man front with Henry, QW, McClendon and Leo.  There's little doubt that the opportunity for this DLine to dominate is there, and with guys like Mosely, Williamson, Polite, etc. behind them the Jets Front 7 could be one of the better ones in the league.

No. 4: Oakland Raiders

DE Clelin Ferrell: Though Ferrell checks off all the boxes when it comes to being a foundation player off the field -- leadership, discipline, strong character -- it's his on-field persona that will be tested. He does have a solid pedigree as an edge rusher, but some in the organization wonder if he is "mean enough" on the field. Yeah, it's early, and he will have a chance to prove as much once the pads come on in training camp and games begin. He has been working behind Benson Mayowa and Arden Key at defensive end early in OTAs and looks physically impressive. And since the Raiders have a need there -- they had a league-low 13 sacks last season -- Ferrell will have his shot. "We think Ferrell has the credentials to be an every-down defensive end," coach Jon Gruden said, "and also be a guy that we can build our defensive line around." -- Paul 

This was the first really questionable pick of the Draft in my opinion.  Ferrell is good and I like him, but at #4 he can't just be a good locker room guy, he needs to be a difference maker as a pass rusher as the outside rusher taken in a Draft that was loaded with them.  The Raiders left Josh Allen on the board here.

No. 6: New York Giants

QB Daniel Jones: He has looked like he belongs working with the second- and third-team offenses early in his Giants career. That is an accomplishment given the difficulty of playing quarterback as a rookie in the NFL. One area where Jones has really showed well is with his arm. He has thrown with surprising velocity given some pre-draft criticism which viewed that as a weakness. No wonder coach Pat Shurmur said recently that Jones' arm was never a concern for the team. -- Jordan Raanan

The second questionable pick.  Jones will always be discussed in the context of the Giants leaving QBs on the board (including Darnold) last year to take a RB.  As the second QB taken the expectation should be similar to the early 1st round guys last year, that Jones works his way onto the field at some point this coming season, be it Week 1 like Darnold or later in the season like Baker, Rosen, etc.

No. 7: Jacksonville Jaguars

OLB Josh Allen: Allen suffered a bruised knee in the first OTA and hasn't participated since. It's hard not to be impressed with his size and athleticism, and the Jaguars are excited about figuring a way to work him into the lineup. He can play defensive end on the weak side and strong side, which means he might be dropping into coverage at times. He did that at Kentucky regularly and it gives the Jaguars some flexibility. -- Michael DiRocco

Allen was the guy I wanted a #3.  I'm still surprised that he was passed on both by the Raiders and Giants, but we'll see.

No. 9: Buffalo Bills

DT Ed Oliver: Oliver is expected to be the Bills' starting 3-technique defensive tackle by the start of the season, but they are making him earn his reps with the first-team defense. Most of those snaps in the OTAs open to reporters have gone to Jordan Phillips, whom Buffalo re-signed to a one-year, $4.5 million deal in March before drafting Oliver. When Oliver eventually takes over, the Bills believe his smaller frame (6-foot-2, 287 pounds) will not hold him back in the NFL. "We need a guy with great quickness, great get-off, that has strength and athleticism, and Ed has those qualities," defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said. -- Mike Rodak

A favorite of many on the board here, the comparisons between Oliver and QW could last a while.  I like the approach the Bills are taking with him.  We'll see if he gets swallowed up by bigger OGs at the NFL level or if his quickness translates immediately.  I'm interested in seeing Oliver in the run game.

No. 11: Cincinnati Bengals

OT Jonah Williams: It's too early to tell how Williams will fare since the team won't put pads on for a while, but the Bengals aren't treating him with kid gloves. He's already playing with the first string at left tackle, causing the Bengals to move Cordy Glenn, the left tackle they traded for just a year ago, to guard. If taking Williams in the first round didn't show how how highly the Bengals think of him, then this move certainly does. -- Katherine Terrell

Another favorite of some posters here, Jonah Williams is being thrown into the LT spot right away.  Many have thought he'd need to move to OG at the NFL level.  This will be interesting to watch as well.

No. 18: Minnesota Vikings

C Garrett Bradbury: One position battle appears to already be solved in Minnesota with Bradbury in line to become the Day 1 starter at center. He's the right fit for the position with his athleticism, power and feel for an offense that runs an outside zone scheme. Plus, plugging Bradbury in at center allows the Vikings to move Pat Elflein to left guard, which seems like it will be a better fit. Bradbury has a lot on his plate, and it's not always easy for a rookie center to shoulder the responsibility of calling an entire game. But he can lean on Elflein, and quarterback Kirk Cousins is eager to perfect their communication from the jump given how many centers he worked with last year. "I just tried to set that vision for him to say, 'You be the guy here for the next 10 years, and let's not have to worry about having anybody else snap for the quarterback,'" Cousins said. "He's got a long ways to go to do that, but he's got all the right stuff and we'll just keep stacking days on top of one another to get him where he needs to be." -- Courtney Cronin

"The one that got away" for many of us here.  Bradbury was a good candidate for the Jets in the minds of many posters had the Jets found a way to trade down outside the Top 10 for a haul of draft picks.  Still interesting to me that we were able to get  Pro Bowlers like Mangold all the way down at #29, but maybe now there's some recognition of the importance of Centers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

causing the Bengals to move Cordy Glenn, the left tackle they traded for just a year ago, to guard.

I don’t have an idea how right now, but I’d try, and pry Glenn away from Cincinnati, he makes big money so that could motivate a notorious cheap team especially if they are not going to use him at Tackle.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Another favorite of some posters here, Jonah Williams is being thrown into the LT spot right away.  Many have thought he'd need to move to OG at the NFL level.  This will be interesting to watch as well.

Where are all of the posters like @bitonti and @Philc1 who told me Williams couldn't play LT and he'd be a guard or even as some suggested a center.

Since day one of the process this guy has always been a LT at the next level.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I don’t have an idea how right now, but I’d try, and pry Glenn away from Cincinnati, he makes big money so that could motivate a notorious cheap team especially if they are not going to use him at Tackle.

Decent idea.  Question - If the Jets took on Glenn's contract, had him compete with Beachum for the starting LT spot this year, but decided to move Glenn to OG just like the Bengals did, would it be worth it?  The real question is whether Glenn could play RG and supplant Winters, because Osemele is 99.9% going to be the starting LG.

1 hour ago, RobR said:

Where are all of the posters like @bitonti and @Philc1 who told me Williams couldn't play LT and he'd be a guard or even as some suggested a center.

To be fair, talk in June is just.....talk in June.  Jonah is one of the more interesting storylines to watch.  If he was a true franchise LT then I'd think he would have gone Top 10.  There are some doubts.  He may start the year at LT....let's see if he lasts though.  I honestly have no idea.  He could be a Robert Gallery type.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Decent idea.  Question - If the Jets took on Glenn's contract, had him compete with Beachum for the starting LT spot this year, but decided to move Glenn to OG just like the Bengals did, would it be worth it?  The real question is whether Glenn could play RG and supplant Winters, because Osemele is 99.9% going to be the starting LG.

Understand it’s hypothetical, but outside of Glenn having can’t play type injury he will 10x Beachum, I’m pretty sure Jets can just cut Beachum for no to minimal cap loss.

14 hours ago, RobR said:

people were talking about Jonah Williams at 3

he went 11th to the Bengals (a team who's owner is the GM btw)

with 33 inch arms he can be a David Diehl replacement level LT but that doesn't make him worth the 3 pick or even the 11 pick

i suspect he was picked about a half round too early and wont ever make a Pro Bowl

side note let's see how he does when the Jets face the Bengals 

this is one of those Winnable games everyone thinks the Jets will smoke em in Cinci... and historically the Jets do exactly that... but something about it worries me 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

To be fair, talk in June is just.....talk in June.  Jonah is one of the more interesting storylines to watch.  If he was a true franchise LT then I'd think he would have gone Top 10.  There are some doubts.  He may start the year at LT....let's see if he lasts though.  I honestly have no idea.  He could be a Robert Gallery type.

+1

I have no great insight on Jonah Williams, but at this point Scherf was playing LT too. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

with 33 inch arms he can be a David Diehl replacement level LT but that doesn't make him worth the 3 pick or even the 11 pick

i suspect he was picked about a half round too early and wont ever make a Pro Bowl

side note let's see how he does when the Jets face the Bengals 

Just pointing out the fact that he is a LT at the next level. Many people here said he couldn't play LT at the next level and he's already penciled as a day one starter.

His arms are also closer to 34" than 33" like some people keep stating. His official measurement was 3305.

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Sorry JS didn't mean to quote you, I was trying to quote the quote but that didn't come out right. But since you responded.....yes he wasn't a top 10 pick although he was a top 11 pick. Talk about splitting hairs.?

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, Welp said:

So how did Gholston look during OTAs?

Apparently he did just as good as Dwayne Robertson... (insert face palm meme here)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1217175-10-rookies-who-starred-in-otas-and-bombed-the-regular-season#slide4

More from back in the day.....remember....the internet never forgets....

https://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/threads/171047-Friday-Minicamp-Gholston-Debut

https://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/threads/171133-AP-article-about-Gholston-at-minicamp

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Many people here said he couldn't play LT at the next level and he's already penciled as a day one starter.

His arms are also closer to 34" than 33" like some people keep stating. His official measurement was 3305.

the dude he's replacing Cordy Glenn was also thought to be a guard or RT coming out of UGA. His arms are 35 3/4 inches tho. 

this is all part of the OL shortage. Jonah Williams would have been a late first or early second like a decade ago. There just aren't that many great prospects coming out. That doesn't necessarily make Jonah Williams a good use of a first round pick. The Jets going for QW upside was a better decision let's start there. If they were picking 11 we could talk about Jonah Williams 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the dude he's replacing Cordy Glenn was also thought to be a guard or RT coming out of UGA. His arms are 35 3/4 inches tho. 

this is all part of the OL shortage. Jonah Williams would have been a late first or early second like a decade ago. There just aren't that many great prospects coming out. That doesn't necessarily make Jonah Williams a good use of a first round pick. The Jets going for QW upside was a better decision let's start there. If they were picking 11 we could talk about Jonah Williams 

None of this matters since he will be an opening day starter at LT in this league. That was my only point and something I stated constantly throughout the entire draft process.

17 hours ago, RobR said:

None of this matters since he will be an opening day starter at LT in this league. That was my only point and something I stated constantly throughout the entire draft process.

Eric Fisher has been a starter since he was drafted 1.1 overall, they even signed him to a 2nd contract

that doesn't make it a good draft pick