Ya know who I'd love to hear from?

Gregg Williams. I'm not sure if the assistants are allowed to do media interviews or Q&As now, but would love to hear his view on the defensive personnel. Would like to hear what he thinks he can do with the talent available and where he thinks we need help/improvement

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I don't care about words.

I care about deeds.

If there was anything singularly less relevant IMO, it's what coaches say to the media and fans.

Williams could give the greatest presser in NFL history, what matters is what his unit does on the field.

Talk, as they say, is cheap.  And time spent placating the media and fans is time better spent coaching up our team.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I care about deeds.

If there was anything singularly less relevant IMO, it's what coaches say to the media and fans.

Williams could give the greatest presser in NFL history, what matters is what his unit does on the field.

Talk, as they say, is cheap.  And time spent placating the media and fans is time better spent coaching up our team.

No question War.

Just the fact that he was a head coach and is very outspoken, I would like to hear about what he's thinking and seeing on the other side of the ball. If anything, it could be very entertaining.

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Gregg Williams. I'm not sure if the assistants are allowed to do media interviews or Q&As now, but would love to hear his view on the defensive personnel. Would like to hear what he thinks he can do with the talent available and where he thinks we need help/improvement

Rex Ryan won a lot of press conferences but not a lot of games towards the end of his tenure.

Let's keep Gregg either in his lab cooking up defensives schemes or on the field educating his players.  I'd love to hear from him too but no reason for him to spend a single second at the podium.  We'll "hear" from him when we see what he puts on the field against Josh Allen in Week 1.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Rex Ryan won a lot of press conferences but not a lot of games towards the end of his tenure.

Let's keep Gregg either in his lab cooking up defensives schemes or on the field educating his players.  I'd love to hear from him too but no reason for him to spend a single second at the podium.  We'll "hear" from him when we see what he puts on the field against Josh Allen in Week 1.

Exactly. Rex was all bluster and not a lot of substance.

When I hear/see Williams talk, he gets into the intricacies of the game. I'd like to hear more about the dynamic of him working with Gase and how much freedom he has on his side. That kind of stuff. Don't care about the "We're gonna kick everyone's a@@" BS. I'd rather hear about whose a@@ he's gonna kick on our team if they don't step up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

I recall Gregg being very difficult for young QBs. We have two of those in our division and will see a few others.  He is probably hell on the mediocre ones, too.

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

That was awesome!!! Thanks for posting Apache!

I don't no how old you are, but these were the days of football at its best, W,L,or draw especially if you liked to hit.     " We'll just beat you into submission."

• Upvote 2

Just now, Apache 51 said:

I don't no how old you are, but these were the days of football at its best, W,L,or draw especially if you liked to hit.     " We'll just beat you into submission."

I'm in my early 50s, so yes, that was the type of game I grew to love.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jeesh.  Why even come to a Jets message board man? lol

We're here to discuss things that happen to surround our perpetually disjointed team. It would at minimum be cool and fun to hear from Gregg Williams if for nothing else than for us to talk about it. We all know talk is cheap and what matters is the play on the field. But we're here anyway. Talking. 

I would think it very interesting to hear from good ol Gregg. ya know... so we can talk about it. :) 

No talking!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I care about deeds.

Isnt this why we're all here? 

Isnt this why we opened a thread titled "Ya know who I'd love to hear from?"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Jeesh.  Why even come to a Jets message board man? lol

To talk to other Jets Fans about the Jets.

Why do you come to the message board?  Is it to hear Greg Williams speak, because if so, that doesn't actually happen here.  :)

We're here to discuss things that happen to surround our perpetually disjointed team. It would at minimum be cool and fun to hear from Gregg Williams if for nothing else than for us to talk about it. We all know talk is cheap and what matters is the play on the field. But we're here anyway. Talking.

I don't agree with you. 

Gregg Williams should be focused like a laser on coaching up our pathetic 2018 defense.  He should not be spending even a millisecond of his time speaking to fans or media heads or anyone else of frivolous sillyness.  He's not a sideshow, he's an NFL Coach.

We fans can talk about the Jets just fine without needing him to toss us a few sterile PR one liners and ol' coach cliches.  Because the reality is, he's not going to give us anything meaningful, no NFL coach really does.  Dear Lord, we have fans getting all misty over Gase effectively telling them nothing, lol.

I would think it very interesting to hear from good ol Gregg. ya know... so we can talk about it. :) 

Pretty sure we can talk about Williams and the Defense without having him dance for us like a clown.  I just prefer the spent less time worried about fans (or especially media) and just get and stick with coaching up this team.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Isnt this why we're all here? 

Isnt this why we opened a thread titled "Ya know who I'd love to hear from?"

Yes, and that is exactly what we're doing.  Some people are posting how they want Williams to talk.  Some (me) posted how we think it's better if he doesn't, because he's got better things to do.

I'm not seeing the problem here......

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, and that is exactly what we're doing.  Some people are posting how they want Williams to talk.  Some (me) posted how we think it's better if he doesn't, because he's got better things to do.

I'm not seeing the problem here......

Well there isnt a problem anywhere at this time.

Real point is there is no problem wanting and hoping for results.  Thinking that improvement is what we need most.

AND being able to hear from a real lightning rod of a coach who pumps people up.  No reason we cant want both or one restricts the other

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why do you come to the message board?  Is it to hear Greg Williams speak, because if so, that doesn't actually happen here. 

Not to get caught up in the semantics of this non-argument but this is, for some, where we actually come to hear the press conferences of Gase and the players and, assuming he can do more than one thing at once, a word of two from Williams.

Even if it's to curse out some of our brain-dead reporters.  That I would Love to hear.  

It's entertainment.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

AND being able to hear from a real lightning rod of a coach who pumps people up.  No reason we cant want both or one restricts the other

I find it funny when people suggest they don't want to hear coaches or players or GMs or owners talk because they should be coaching or practicing/playing or GMing or owning.

There is a ton of down time when all/any of them can do a short press conference or talk to a reporter to hear what they have to say.  Or not say.

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It's entertainment.

And I'm more entertained by wins than early June pressers.

I guess some would love for us to be on Hard Knocks right now too.

I prefer we actually just try to get gud and win some games for a change.

Especially knowing they're not going to say a single meaningful thing to us, because lets be honest, they're not stupid.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Especially knowing they're not going to say a single meaningful thing to us, because lets be honest, they're not stupid.

Theyre not playing games today.  Or tomorrow, next week, next month or the one after that.  Theres time for wanting to see wins, its not today

A presser is great entertainment for a football fan.

I'll bet thats why we will see Williams eventually at the podium and on the field miked up.

Just now, Warfish said:

The games don't start till September, so there is likely nothing that can entertain you.  

Having a press conference and being good are not mutually exclusive.

Plenty of down time to let the paying customers know how the team is shaping up--regardless of whether it translates to wins or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I care about deeds.

Your point is obvious and taken, however, I'd rather have GW as a coach on D rather than lets say Father Dungy type. He speaks the truth with some emphasis nothing wrong with that approach.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Theyre not playing games today.  Or tomorrow, next week, next month or the one after that.  Theres time for wanting to see wins, its not today

A presser is great entertainment for a football fan.

I'll bet thats why we will see Williams eventually at the podium and on the field miked up.

I think I got trolled.  I've seen Warfish's work the past few days--he'll beat anything to death.

Talking by a coach/player/GM/owner has no impact--positively or negatively--on a team's performance on the field.

It's entertainment.  Like watching a movie trailer or reading a book review before it comes out.  

• Upvote 3

To talk to other Jets Fans about the Jets.

Why do you come to the message board?  Is it to hear Greg Williams speak, because if so, that doesn't actually happen here.  :)

I don't agree with you. 

Gregg Williams should be focused like a laser on coaching up our pathetic 2018 defense.  He should not be spending even a millisecond of his time speaking to fans or media heads or anyone else of frivolous sillyness.  He's not a sideshow, he's an NFL Coach.

We fans can talk about the Jets just fine without needing him to toss us a few sterile PR one liners and ol' coach cliches.  Because the reality is, he's not going to give us anything meaningful, no NFL coach really does.  Dear Lord, we have fans getting all misty over Gase effectively telling them nothing, lol.

Pretty sure we can talk about Williams and the Defense without having him dance for us like a clown.  I just prefer the spent less time worried about fans (or especially media) and just get and stick with coaching up this team.

Right. So Williams needs to spend every millisecond coaching. No time for us to get a little sound clippypoo or two of how he sees Quinnen in his D schemes or how happy he is to see a certified pussypie like Lee sent packing. We all know it would be sterilized but come on. 

Now,  of course we all want the same things here, but grumbling all over someones desire to hear a sound byte extraordinaire like Willams chat for a few moments seems benign enough. It's just something that can add to whatever we find fun about this past time of ours. We have a pretty good D guy in the house who just happens to be fun to listen to.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. So Williams needs to spend every millisecond coaching. No time for us to get a little sound clippypoo or two of how he sees Quinnen in his D schemes or how happy he is to see a certified pussypie like Lee sent packing. We all know it would be sterilized but come on. 

Do you really need to hear Williams say "he's a great talent, looking forward to seeing how he develops in our system, works with our players, learns from our veterans.  Really excited to have him....next question?"

Lol.

Now,  of course we all want the same things here, but grumbling all over someones desire to hear a sound byte extraordinaire like Willams chat for a few moments seems benign enough. It's just something that can add to whatever we find fun about this past time of ours. We have a pretty good D guy in the house who just happens to be fun to listen to.  

So just to be clear, it's an ok opinion to want coaches to spend more time with the media, but it's not an ok opinion to prefer they spent less time (or best of all, no time) with the media.

Got it!  Thanks!  Bring on the Bread and Circuses!

First game is what 3 months we all want wins. Just killing time having a little fun.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So just to be clear, it's an ok opinion to want coaches to spend more time with the media, but it's not an ok opinion to prefer they spent less time (or best of all, no time) with the media.

Got it!  Thanks!  Bring on the Bread and Circuses!

Dude sometimes maybe just make believe you know what its like to be a fan and just try to enjoy the show. 

Its not this hard.

People want to hear from a specific coach for well documented reasons and youre trying to make a case against it. I dont get it

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Dude sometimes maybe just make believe you know what its like to be a fan and just try to enjoy the show. 

Its not this hard.

People want to hear from a specific coach for well documented reasons and youre trying to make a case against it. I dont get it

It's not hard at all.  It's all just talk.

I just don't want or need what other fans seem to want or need.  No worries, not like I'm the Jets Director of Media Relations and control it or anything......far as you all know.\\:D/

But I'm going to say what I think, even if it's not popular with the "Give me Gase and Williams in a Reality TV Sitcom show on Netflix, after all it's just entertainment man!" types. :-k

The less I see or hear from the new Coach(s) of a 4 win team, the better IMO.  Especially given the vile New York Sports media.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not hard at all.  It's all just talk.

I just don't want or need what other fans seem to want or need.  No worries, not like I'm the Jets Director of Media Relations and control it or anything......far as you all know.\\:D/

But I'm going to say what I think, even if it's not popular with the "Give me Gase and Williams in a Reality TV Sitcom show on Netflix, after all it's just entertainment man!" types. :-k

The less I see or hear from the new Coach(s) of a 4 win team, the better IMO.  Especially given the vile New York Sports media.

Just saying you have to understand how fans are, what they want.  Even if you arent that way & dont get the need to hear from someone. 

And really, there's a whole lot of room between wanting to hear from Williams, Gase, Bell etc and being a "Give me Gase and Williams in a Reality TV Sitcom show on Netflix, after all it's just entertainment man!" type

All I'm saying

• Upvote 1