Ian Rappaport don't discount Scott Fitterer he was incredibly impressive in the interview.

37 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

The tie-breaker for me would be that, as a franchise, the Eagles and the Ravens have seemed to value OL and the Seahawks don't seem to, at least recently.  Even if he didn't draft the Eagles OL himself, I would hope that the priority would rub off on Douglas.  As to the Seahawks, Russell Wilson has been running for his life recently.  I don't want to continue in that direction.

I think there's a lot of OL projection around here why Mac was fired when I think it's a lot of everything. Questionable high-priced free agents, ignoring weak positions on the team (besides OL) and over-investing in the safety and DL positions with high, consensus-safe picks. 

One word that came out about Mac after he was fired was, "indecisive." Wouldn't surprise me if CJ and Gase threw real trade offers that Mac turned down the last couple years, and asked the candidates what their approach would've been in the same situation. Williams, Williams, and Adams were all safe picks that made little sense for the Jets at the time. The DL has always been loaded, and is now over-loaded with Anderson's contract and the two high picks. And Shepherd. Sure, Adams is an all pro, but the only way a safety makes sense at #6 overall that year is if the organization believed that Christian Hackenberg was a potential FQB. Now it's clear that he's not a practice squad caliber QB, and Maccagnan should've understood that at the time and acted accordingly. Mac is gone because of his overall poor team building skills. 

I'd be listening in these interviews to big picture ideas of what an NFL roster should look like, and the practical plans to get the Jets there ASAP. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

it actually should be a good viewed as a good thing if someone was so impressive they leap frogged Douglas.

This is true only if the search is being conducted by competent people acting in good faith. It’s entirely possible that someone could leapfrog Douglas because Chris thinks he’s asking for too much money, or Gase thinks he’ll threaten his own standing in the organization, or some other dumbass thing.

The rest of your post is spot-on, though. All of us are talking out of our ass, using thirdhand information as evidence, about guys we never heard of until three weeks ago. Sitting here and saying that Douglas prioritizes offensive linemen and Fitterer doesn’t based on rosters they didn’t have control over strikes me as kind of silly.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is true only if the search is being conducted by competent people acting in good faith. It’s entirely possible that someone could leapfrog Douglas because Chris thinks he’s asking for too much money, or Gase thinks he’ll threaten his own standing in the organization, or some other dumbass thing.

The rest of your post is spot-on, though. All of us are talking out of our ass, using thirdhand information as evidence, about guys we never heard of until three weeks ago. Sitting here and saying that Douglas prioritizes offensive linemen and Fitterer doesn’t based on rosters they didn’t have control over strikes me as kind of silly.

Also a good point about the money.  Deep down I hope this "news" about Fitterer isn't the front office pivoting off Douglas simply because of what you said, but I kind of have a sinking feeling that's what all this is.  I usually am not that way either, but it just feels like it.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Also a good point about the money.  Deep down I hope this "news" about Fitterer isn't the front office pivoting off Douglas simply because of what you said, but I kind of have a sinking feeling that's what all this is.  I usually am not that way either, but it just feels like it.  

Shades of “we’re getting Mike McCarthy!” —> “don’t count out Matt Rhule!” —> “we hired Adam Gase.”

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

As far as the "Gase relationship" goes, I don't think Douglas has as big of an advantage as we all think he does. Check out Cimini's article from the weekend. He did a little digging into each of the candidates, and said that Fitterer and Gase apparently hit it off during the scouting process leading up to the draft.

There's a real chance that Gase may actually prefer Fitterer.

yeah I read that. I'm not sure what that really means though. So they hit it off. Does that mean they spent the night in one of their hotel rooms doing each other's nails? Is that where Gase was during the draft?  Hangin out with Fitterer? Is that the real reason why we couldn't see Gase in any of the picks or vids? Or does it just mean they had a nice conversation at some point?  It's hard to tell what that means. 

I read the the interview went well too and I'm sure that's good and all, but have ya ever had a girlfriend who seemed great until you moved in with her?  It's easy to get along when you don't have to work together. Champ and Douglas have at least worked with Gase before and have some idea what he can be like.  I'm sure that's a plus. 

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Problem is you base it on a mistake if your point is the Eagles OL is better than what the Seahawks ol has been over the years or by assuming that either guy is to credit or blame for it. 

I just like the depth they have in certain positions. I’m not even saying Joe Douglas is the sole reason but we have to judge these potential GMs on something right?