La Canfora: Jets, Douglas negotiating scouting budget, Douglas could be hired by end of week

2 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I think you're missing the point.  While investing in scouting is a necessary tool and is of course useful, it is surely not an exact science, and there is no empirical evidence to prove that investing more will lead to better results.

The fact of the matter is .that minor league, college and amateur sports are distinctly different from professional level competition.  Projecting what young prospects will develop into is simply a crapshoot and educated guess.  Misses in drafting and recruiting are rife throughout all professional sports.

That is the nature of the beast, and one of the most intriguing and special aspects of sports fandom.

Just my opinion.

It's not a crapshoot and that is why the good teams that pick later in the draft prove that as a fallacy. They draft later year after year, yet they are always threats to win their division and challenge for a Lombardi. Why? It's because they can hit the draft.

The hardest part about evaluating a prospect is understanding what is between their ears. Everything else is a purely numbers based game that has proven itself over the years.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Does anyone else find the idea that the Jets have two owners with literally an endless well of money in their bank accounts and the team actually has a limited budget for scouting preposterous? Or for anything at all?

I've got good news.  You have no idea what you're talking about.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's not a crapshoot and that is why the good teams that pick later in the draft prove that as a fallacy. They draft later year after year, yet they are always threats to win their division and challenge for a Lombardi. Why? It's because they can hit the draft.

The hardest part about evaluating a prospect is understanding what is between their ears. Everything else is a purely numbers based game that has proven itself over the years.

So your contention is that the draft is a precise science, and that the only variable is what's "between a player's ears"?  There have been boatloads of star NFL players that have little to nothing between their ears.  Additionally, many brilliant players are hamstrung by their physical limitations.  It takes both.

What I said, is that professional sports drafts in general are a crapshoot and educated guess, to a large extent.  For your " hypothesis" to be true, there would be no parity, changing of the guard, and the "upper echelon" teams would never change.  That's simply not true.

The fail rate for draft picks is the only constant in the equation.  Advanced scouting, metrics and  "modern evaluation techniques" have not changed that.

If you have evidence that metrics, and advanced scouting techniques have led to a lower instance of draft "busts", I'd love to see it.  As far as I can tell, drafts still yield the same  "mixed bag of results", that they always have. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

This is taking entirely too long. If by the time I wake up news hasn’t broken, I’m going to create a twitter account and break the news myself.

Hoping to become a twitter legend like Encarcerated Bob. 

News TBD. 

Even if the Jets finally agree to whatever budget Joe is fighting for, it's an ominous sign that he will constantly be battling a penny-pinching owner.

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Jets are cheap. They dont have Manish running interference for them at the moment. At least if Douglas falls through we'll get some closure on this fact. 

This is the best SOJ, woe is is me shlt ever.  How are they cheap?  Where have they been cheap. 

Only this fanbase can take they're going over financials as being cheap. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

This is the best SOJ, woe is is me shlt ever.  How are they cheap?  Where have they been cheap. 

Of course they are cheap. just ask CJ Mosley

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They pay bottom tier salaries to their HC’s and GM’s in respect to the rest of the league. These are uncapped positions.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Of course they are cheap. just ask CJ Mosley

Bought the team for a then record amount.

How many teams spent more on a stadium.  Even after splitting costs with the Giants. 

Spent a record amount on a state of the art practice facility

Offer top dollar when they've wanted a FA player.

Spent more than anyone in money and guaranteed money than everyone.

Arent they paying two HC's?  Didnt keep Bowles because he had a new deal

Will be paying two GMs?

Just now, Matt39 said:

They pay bottom tier salaries to their HC’s and GM’s in respect to the rest of the league. These are uncapped positions.

Really? Link? How much does Gase make?  How much did Bowles make?  How did Bowles 1st deal and 2nd compare to other HC deals? 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Like myself, you have no idea what is going on regarding their selection for the GM position.  History tells us while the Brothers Johnson certainly deserve some criticism over the years , one of them is NOT that they are cheap.

As far as HC and front office pay, please revisit Hard Knocks 2010 when reporters were grilling Rex on a contract extension he received while Revis was holding out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Like myself, you have no idea what is going on regarding their selection for the GM position.  History tells us while the Brothers Johnson certainly deserve some criticism over the years , one of them is NOT that they are cheap.

As far as HC and front office pay, please revisit Hard Knocks 2010 when reporters were grilling Rex on a contract extension he received while Revis was holding out.

Idzik and Maccagnan, who were on no ones radar, I’m sure we’re in the top tier of pay for GM’s in the league. I’m sure the next dunce will be too.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Idzik and Maccagnan, who were on no ones radar, I’m sure we’re in the top tier of pay for GM’s in the league. I’m sure the next dunce will be too.

From everything I've read all four candidates interviewed were solid candidates that would be on the top of any team's list.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The reason the Jets don’t disclose salary info for their GMs and HCs is that they pay so much that the rest of the league would get jealous

• Haha 3

Boy oh boy...you guys (and some girls) are a bunch of pessimistic ****s. 

The tweet says there’s every expectation that Douglas will be the GM and they’re currently negotiating the scouting budget...

Everyone immediately translates that to mean the Jets are being cheap on scout pay  so Douglas is gonna walk. 

Of course this could also mean they’ve advanced in the negotiations to the point where Douglas has agreed to his salary and now their working through the finer details, like scouting budget etc etc. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, jgb said:

You actually sum up jet fandom in one post. If we don’t get him, he’s a loser bum and if we do he’s the greatest ever.

I actually thought the reverse.  Typically here, If we dont get him (like McCarthy) he was the only candidate that could have been successful. 

If we do get him, hes a bum and the owners dont have a clue!

39 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I actually thought the reverse.  Typically here, If we dont get him (like McCarthy) he was the only candidate that could have been successful. 

If we do get him, hes a bum and the owners dont have a clue!

Interesting. Perhaps it’s easier to say that jets fans fall into two camps: both of which are always wrong.

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Greeks vs Persians, Hatfield's vs McCoy's,  Da Vinci vs Michelangelo, Tesla vs Edison, USA vs USSR, SOJF vs Real Fans.

These are the greatest rivalries in world history.  

SOJFs are real jets fans. The name is in the title.

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

It's funny how the same people who are saying that the Jets are being cheap are the same ones that cry that the Jets overpay in free agency.

Why? 

You act like the two things are incompatible.  Overpaying in free agency handcuffs the team for the future.  Spending money on coaches, administrators and scouting has literally no ill effects on the franchise beyond the owners' pockets. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

59 minutes ago, jgb said:

Interesting. Perhaps it’s easier to say that jets fans fall into two camps: both of which are always wrong.

SOJFs are real jets fans. The name is in the title.

No. Nobody starts as a SOJF. You evolve into one. They are the same, the only thing different is time. 

In 10 years, Patriot Killa will be Warfish. It is.....inevitable.

?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I think you're missing the point.  While investing in scouting is a necessary tool and is of course useful, it is surely not an exact science, and there is no empirical evidence to prove that investing more will lead to better results.

The fact of the matter is .that minor league, college and amateur sports are distinctly different from professional level competition.  Projecting what young prospects will develop into is simply a crapshoot and educated guess.  Misses in drafting and recruiting are rife throughout all professional sports.

That is the nature of the beast, and one of the most intriguing and special aspects of sports fandom.

Just my opinion.

Fair opinion. I don't think I'm missing any point though. Pro sports isn't the mecca of professionalism or analysis (more than a few people on this board knew hackenburg was a bust prior to being drafted) yet he went high in the second round. The half ass stuff you generally see is because the people making those choices are average at best not because they're solving world hunger or drawing up an equation for cold fusion. Nothing is an exact science, not even science. While I understand you're inevitably going to miss on occasion, statistically it's going to happen, the Jets GMs seem to always miss more often than not.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bought the team for a then record amount.

How many teams spent more on a stadium.  Even after splitting costs with the Giants. 

Spent a record amount on a state of the art practice facility

Offer top dollar when they've wanted a FA player.

Spent more than anyone in money and guaranteed money than everyone.

Arent they paying two HC's?  Didnt keep Bowles because he had a new deal

Will be paying two GMs?

Yes, but it wasn't the highest bid; Dolan's was bigger. The NFL doesn't like Dolan so.... Part of that bid was having  a bad coach named herman Edwards waste a few years of prime Parcells talent here. As would be a pattern spare Mangini and now Gase, the Johnsons are very impressed with defensive coordinators who babble inanely about "toughness" and these men invariably have NO IDEA how an NFL passing offense works. This at a time when the rules have seen offenses flourish. The Johnsons hire guys who pretend you can win every game 10-6. 

Dolan is a lucky sperm club lad too, but at least he's kinda run MSG,  with mixed results. The Johnsons have run....nothing. 

They borrowed scads of money for the stadium, that is, not counting the tax breaks from NJ. They will not be confused with Daniel Day Lewis working in the oil fields to strike black gold in "There Will Be Blood" any time soon. 

What we also know about the stadium is anyone with functioning grey matter knew there was never going to be a West Side stadium and it was a complete waste of time and money. Better idea would have been to try to do something near Shea and the tennis center;that could have been doable and profitable, and something that would have been theirs alone. Alas, the Johnsons are not that sharp. We know Parcells and Bellichick ran away form the Johnsons as soon as their bid was approved. Al Gorh preferred a doormat ACC job over this one. After promising Mangini, a guy who took some serious crap for spygate, he would not be fired off the Favre experiment, he was fired off the Favre experiment. We know they have habitually paid coaches and GMS less than average. They have never hired THAT GUY to either slot, rather had to go begging 2nd tier guys to take the jobs. 

Let me not pretend Joe Douglas is the 2nd coming of the bastard love child of George Young and Tex Schramm. But we do know he is right now getting effed with about money by the Johnsons. 

In short, there's a lot of evidence the Johnsons are spoiled rich brats who have never run a goddamn thing. And have barely any idea about how to run an NFL franchise or anything much else. In fact there's a mountain of evidence they're very bad at it. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Yes, but it wasn't the highest bid; Dolan's was bigger. The NFL doesn't like Dolan so.... Part of that bid was having  a bad coach named herman Edwards waste a few years of prime Parcells talent here. As would be a pattern spare Mangini and now Gase, the Johnsons are very impressed with defensive coordinators who babble inanely about "toughness" and these men invariably have NO IDEA how an NFL passing offense works. This at a time when the rules have seen offenses flourish. The Johnsons hire guys who pretend you can win every game 10-6. 

Dolan is a lucky sperm club lad too, but at least he's kinda run MSG,  with mixed results. The Johnsons have run....nothing. 

They borrowed scads of money for the stadium, that is, not counting the tax breaks from NJ. They will not be confused with Daniel Day Lewis working in the oil fields to strike black gold in "There Will Be Blood" any time soon. 

What we also know about the stadium is anyone with functioning grey matter knew there was never going to be a West Side stadium and it was a complete waste of time and money. Better idea would have been to try to do something near Shea and the tennis center;that could have been doable and profitable, and something that would have been theirs alone. Alas, the Johnsons are not that sharp. We know Parcells and Bellichick ran away form the Johnsons as soon as their bid was approved. Al Gorh preferred a doormat ACC job over this one. After promising Mangini, a guy who took some serious crap for spygate, he would not be fired off the Favre experiment, he was fired off the Favre experiment. We know they have habitually paid coaches and GMS less than average. They have never hired THAT GUY to either slot, rather had to go begging 2nd tier guys to take the jobs. 

Let me not pretend Joe Douglas is the 2nd coming of the bastard love child of George Young and Tex Schramm. But we do know he is right now getting effed with about money by the Johnsons. 

In short, there's a lot of evidence the Johnsons are spoiled rich brats who have never run a goddamn thing. And have barely any idea about how to run an NFL franchise or anything much else. In fact there's a mountain of evidence they're very bad at it. 

tenor (1).gif

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

What we also know about the stadium is anyone with functioning grey matter knew there was never going to be a West Side stadium and it was a complete waste of time and money. Better idea would have been to try to do something near Shea and the tennis center;that could have been doable and profitable, and something that would have been theirs alone. Alas, the Johnsons are not that sharp. We know Parcells and Bellichick ran away form the Johnsons as soon as their bid was app2roved. Al Gorh preferred a doormat ACC job over this one. After promising Mangini, a guy who took some serious crap for spygate, he would not be fired off the Favre experiment, he was fired off the Favre experiment. We know they have habitually paid coaches and GMS less than average. They have never hired THAT GUY to either slot, rather had to go begging 2nd tier guys to take the jobs. 

So he bought the team through inheritance, that makes him cheap.

He kept on a HC who went to the playoffs 3 of his 5 seasons and he was only kept on because he was cheap?  Really?  One its a lame reason, two I'd bet anything he was making what basically every other 1st time HC got in 2001. 

Stadium?  They took some tax breaks nothing out of the ordinary.  Bet the Mets and Yanks took bigger breaks.  No one seems to care.  So. 

Parcells ran away?  LOL, the plan was to coach 3 years, he did.  Plan was to switch over to Belichick.  He ran for more power.  And he didnt want to be HC with Bill around.  So Belichich as HC and Bill on the payroll = cheap now?  You do know that Parcells offered to stay on after Belichick quit, but wanted 8 mil per which at the time was crazy money.  johnson rightfully moved on instead of paying Bill 8 mil while his heart wasnt totally into it.

As for the WSS, the cheap bastard spent 100s of millions on environment studies, architectural plans etc, etc for nothing.  Cheap again, right?  They didnt want Queens.  Wasnt happening.  No matter how many times fans who wanted a stadium for the Jets in NY, in their backyard, cry.  The teams been in NJ for too long.  The Johnsons are from NJ.  Why would they move to Queens.  Whats the advantage.  Who friggen cares other than the "we're in the shadow of the Giants" crowd.  

We have no F'n clue that Douglas is getting effed with about money by the Johnsons.   Not a single shred of evidence other than some asswipe blogger deduced that negotiating budgets for scouts = getting effed out by the cheap Johnsons.  Whatever that even means.  I do know this, you me, no one even knows for sure who their 1st choice even is.  just the doom and gloom, the sky is falling contingent who will come up with plenty of reasons why it had nothing to do with who they liked.  

But really the last line, that theyre spoiled rich brats says it all, doesn't it?  They're morons, they know nothing.  Cant un something like hospitals, foundations and a football team purchased for 635 mil now worth billions.  Hes an idiot, I hate anyone who was born lucky so I'll trash them....because.   Best part is there are plenty of sports franchise owners who have inherited their money, plenty who make mistakes or perceived mistakes.  This fanbase relishes in killing their owners more than others.  I'm sure that you can find as many or more to cry about with most teams and most owners.  This is just a sniveling group of whiners who love to moan.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1