La Canfora: Jets, Douglas negotiating scouting budget, Douglas could be hired by end of week

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Bought the team for a then record amount.

How many teams spent more on a stadium.  Even after splitting costs with the Giants. 

Spent a record amount on a state of the art practice facility

Offer top dollar when they've wanted a FA player.

Spent more than anyone in money and guaranteed money than everyone.

Arent they paying two HC's?  Didnt keep Bowles because he had a new deal

Will be paying two GMs?

True, but those are headlines that grab attention. Maybe the Johnsons are headline junkies.

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

True, but those are headlines that grab attention. Maybe the Johnsons are headline junkies.

What has Chris Johnson done to grab headlines that doesnt fall under normal football operations?  

I get we get on Woody for 2 moves we blame on trying to grab attention in what almost twenty years

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What has Chris Johnson done to grab headlines that doesnt fall under normal football operations?  

I get we get on Woody for 2 moves we blame on trying to grab attention in what almost twenty years

Chris hasn't I guess as he had to deal with the athlete protests and did a good job not alienating the players. I'll forever trash Woody about the Westside. From what I remember the MTA had chosen the Jets bid and it fell apart over some subsidies. He wasn't willing to front the rest though I'm pretty sure they could have found the finance/investors. The Jets seem to me like that person who buys a super car, but puts regular gas from a shady gas station in it.

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Chris hasn't I guess as he had to deal with the athlete protests and did a good job not alienating the players. I'll forever trash Woody about the Westside. From what I remember the MTA had chosen the Jets bid and it fell apart over some subsidies. He wasn't willing to front the rest though I'm pretty sure they could have found the finance/investors. The Jets seem to me like that person who buys a super car, but puts regular gas from a shady gas station in it.

The WSS went to shlt because Dolan didnt want competition in the city and he paid off cronies to fight the project.  They wanted equal money poured into the downtown renovation sites as an offset to the Stadium and surrounding areas.  Woody got screwed by dirtbag political BS

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The WSS went to shlt because Dolan didnt want competition in the city and he paid off cronies to fight the project.  They wanted equal money poured into the downtown renovation sites as an offset to the Stadium and surrounding areas.  Woody got screwed by dirtbag political BS

I remember the Dolan Silverstein BS, but I remember it being a convenience he was denied as opposed to them outright blocking him. I remember they organized a bunch of poor people to protest that it wouldn't help them, I wonder what those same people think of the current hudson yard landlords.

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So your contention is that the draft is a precise science, and that the only variable is what's "between a player's ears"?  There have been boatloads of star NFL players that have little to nothing between their ears.  Additionally, many brilliant players are hamstrung by their physical limitations.  It takes both.

What I said, is that professional sports drafts in general are a crapshoot and educated guess, to a large extent.  For your " hypothesis" to be true, there would be no parity, changing of the guard, and the "upper echelon" teams would never change.  That's simply not true.

The fail rate for draft picks is the only constant in the equation.  Advanced scouting, metrics and  "modern evaluation techniques" have not changed that.

If you have evidence that metrics, and advanced scouting techniques have led to a lower instance of draft "busts", I'd love to see it.  As far as I can tell, drafts still yield the same  "mixed bag of results", that they always have. 

So, since the draft is a crapshoot maybe we shouldn't even have scouts. Just put some names on a board and sling some darts since we will still have the same chances of success because it's just an educated guess, yet other teams are consistently good at it.

There's a reason why the Jets have won their division twice since 1970. There is also a reason why some teams have won multiple Lombardis, division titles, and playoff games during that span. It's because we suck at drafting players just like teams like the Cards, Browns, Lions, etc.

The only people that say the draft is a crapshoot is the fans of teams that consistently suck at it. 

Also for clarification when I said "between the ears" I was talking about a players will too succeed, play hard, train hard, overcome adversity, and put the team first. AKA as heart and I should have been clearer in my words. That is one variable that is extremely hard to quantify and normally the reason why many highly ranked players fail to pan out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I remember the Dolan Silverstein BS, but I remember it being a convenience he was denied as opposed to them outright blocking him. I remember they organized a bunch of poor people to protest that it wouldn't help them, I wonder what those same people think of the current hudson yard landlords.

No Silver was holding out for huge money in the downtown renovation project otherwise he wouldn't vote yes to the WSS.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, Peace Frog said:

What part of “I heard yesterday” that if he’s not given complete control of the roster (i.e., Gase contains some control) Philly could block him or “he may decide if he doesn’t have full control he may not take the position” did I stutter during? 

What part of of what I said was incorrect..........Philly can't block block him if it is a promotion. I understand if he is not given full control but if it is a promotion again Philly can't block him.

3 hours ago, RobR said:

So, since the draft is a crapshoot maybe we shouldn't even have scouts. Just put some names on a board and sling some darts since we will still have the same chances of success because it's just an educated guess, yet other teams are consistently good at it.

There's a reason why the Jets have won their division twice since 1970. There is also a reason why some teams have won multiple Lombardis, division titles, and playoff games during that span. It's because we suck at drafting players just like teams like the Cards, Browns, Lions, etc.

The only people that say the draft is a crapshoot is the fans of teams that consistently suck at it. 

Also for clarification when I said "between the ears" I was talking about a players will too succeed, play hard, train hard, overcome adversity, and put the team first. AKA as heart and I should have been clearer in my words. That is one variable that is extremely hard to quantify and normally the reason why many highly ranked players fail to pan out. 

As usual, you fail to read the post for what it says, instead reading into it what you'd like it to say.  My point was that scouting and drafting are inexact sciences, and the draft as a result is unpredictable and not a guaranteed result.  Furthermore even the better teams miss on a large number of draft picks, and the successful franchises, { see the Patriocheats} are the ones that have proven systems or are successful in acquiring bona fide players by other means, free agency, supplemental draft picks, reclamation projects etc.

Not every comment or observation is a referendum on our Jets or your perceived "football and drafting expertise".  Do me a favor, ignore my posts in the future, like I do yours, as all you seem to want to do is argue, and dissect everything that I say.  Your anticipated cooperation in this request is appreciated.

PS....  I see how accurate your predict of Ed Oliver's draft position turned out to be.  Guess he didn't have it all going on "between the ears", after all?

11 hours ago, RobR said:

100% this.

The draft is not a crapshoot, as intoxicating as many find the expression to be. The very suggestion implies there is no human factor to the outcome, or that smart teams are shooting craps with weighted dice and dumb ones are weighted to crap out every roll. 

What has made so many recent Jets drafts so unbearable is - particularly outside the top 6 overall draft slots - they actually could have been just as successful by throwing darts at a wall full of prospects' names. But as you state, that doesn't therefore mean it was that way for every team just because it was for us. 

I think a better analogy is someone who is counting cards in blackjack. You can control your outcomes to an extent, by maximizing your good opportunities and minimizing your bad ones. In the end no one can predict a freak injury, and occasionally you draft high-talent guys who just don't have the drive (or whatever missing factor) to succeed at the next level, when such wasn't necessary to succeed against lesser talent in college (none of whom are talented veterans with 5-10 years' experience on top of that). 

There isn't a scout in the business that gets it right 100% of the time, and few (if any) even 75% of the time. But when you're looking at our Jets team with its success rate hovering around 10-20% something more is at play than "it's a crapshoot" because the more painless answer is to blame it all on bad luck and little more.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

100% this.

The draft is not a crapshoot, as intoxicating as many find the expression to be. The very suggestion implies there is no human factor to the outcome, or that smart teams are shooting craps with weighted dice and dumb ones are weighted to crap out every roll. 

What has made so many recent Jets drafts so unbearable is - particularly outside the top 6 overall draft slots - they actually could have been just as successful by throwing darts at a wall full of prospects' names. But as you state, that doesn't therefore mean it was that way for every team just because it was for us. 

I think a better analogy is someone who is counting cards in blackjack. You can control your outcomes to an extent, by maximizing your good opportunities and minimizing your bad ones. In the end no one can predict a freak injury, and occasionally you draft high-talent guys who just don't have the drive (or whatever missing factor) to succeed at the next level, when such wasn't necessary to succeed against lesser talent in college (none of whom are talented veterans with 5-10 years' experience on top of that). 

There isn't a scout in the business that gets it right 100% of the time, and few (if any) even 75% of the time. But when you're looking at our Jets team with its success rate hovering around 10-20% something more is at play than "it's a crapshoot" because the more painless answer is to blame it all on bad luck and little more.

In fact i would say that besides their 1st round picks, it’s pretty much against the odds how bad all of the rest of mccags’ picks have been.  The only pick who has truly outperformed his draft position in 5 yrs is herndon.

• Upvote 1

Report: Joe Douglas has turned the New York Jets down 

ByJEFF KERR 19 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If the Philadelphia Eagles were preparing to lose Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, those plans may be on a permanent hold. Douglas was seen at the NovaCare Complex for both of the open Eagles voluntary OTA practices this weeks, which led to speculation if we was going to accept the Jets' vacant general manager position.

According to Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead, Douglas turned the Jets down as it "only came down to money." Douglas and the Jets are less than a million dollars apart, indicating the Jets won't go higher than their offer to Douglas.

If negotiations are off, Douglas will remain with the Eagles in his current role. Right now, he will not be the Jets general manager.

Douglas has served in his role with the Eagles since 2016 and has been instrumental in the Eagles' last two drafts. He runs the draft board and the scouting department, which has developed into one of the best in the NFL.

The Eagles have built a strong collaboration with Douglas, Executive Vice President of Football Operations Howie Roseman and Head Coach Doug Pederson, a relationship that is as strong as it's ever been.

"Our relationship has been great. It's like we've said before. He's a big part of our scouting process and getting the information we need through our scouts and assisting us in that area," Pederson said. "Our process has always been a collaborative one. There is a lot of open dialog, whether it's between me and [Executive Vice President of Football Operations] Howie [Roseman], Joe and Howie, the three of us together, our owner [Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Lurie], and he's really built that relationship and has done a good job for us."

Douglas and Jets head coach Adam Gase have been known to have a tremendous relationship from their days with the Chicago Bears and there was speculation Douglas would have taken the vacant general manager job with the Miami Dolphins if the organization held onto Gase. Passing up an opportunity to reunite with Gase would be a huge blow for the Jets. 

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

100% this.

Crapshoot sounds better. What will you call this card counting efficient gamble? 

I agree and will play nothing other than black jack. I follow a system and guesstimate the cards and adjust the system accordingly.

I'd say I'm up to 55%. I don't think anyone beats 50% on the draft gamble btw.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rammagen said:

What part of of what I said was incorrect..........Philly can't block block him if it is a promotion. I understand if he is not given full control but if it is a promotion again Philly can't block him.

Not if it’s a promotion in name only. 

12 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

As usual, you fail to read the post for what it says, instead reading into it what you'd like it to say.  My point was that scouting and drafting are inexact sciences, and the draft as a result is unpredictable and not a guaranteed result.  Furthermore even the better teams miss on a large number of draft picks, and the successful franchises, { see the Patriocheats} are the ones that have proven systems or are successful in acquiring bona fide players by other means, free agency, supplemental draft picks, reclamation projects etc.

Not every comment or observation is a referendum on our Jets or your perceived "football and drafting expertise".  Do me a favor, ignore my posts in the future, like I do yours, as all you seem to want to do is argue, and dissect everything that I say.  Your anticipated cooperation in this request is appreciated.

PS....  I see how accurate your predict of Ed Oliver's draft position turned out to be.  Guess he didn't have it all going on "between the ears", after all?

ZdorovKirillVladimirovich_0.jpg?HZo9_mI3

On 6/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd love to hear how a negotiation for something like this goes down. It's the Jets so I fully expect it to end something like this.

"Sorry Joe, we really like you as a GM candidate and we would love for you to run our football team, but we really don't want to spend too much on the guys who find us players. We're going with the other guy who only needs half as much to build a scouting department.  "

Give the guy what he wants. Do you think Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft concern themselves with penny ante issues like this? C'mon Jets, if he is the guy you think can push this team in the right direction then money should be NO OBJECT. Unless Jets ownership is concerned ONLY with their profit margin - which has been a topic of discussion among fans - then just do it already.

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I worked on the WSS behind the scenes and everyone wanted it except Dolan and some crooked pols.....

It was a disgrace.

So that really wasn't Woody's fault.  I can tell you for fact not rumor that there were some exciting possibilities afoot for the Jets and the Olympic Games...

• Post of the Week 1

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2019/06/jets-gm-search-philadelphia-eagles-trying-to-squeeze-joe-douglas-says-nfl-insider.html

Jets GM search: Philadelphia Eagles trying to ‘squeeze’ Joe Douglas, says NFL insider

Updated 9:31 AM; Today 9:30 AM
Will Philadelphia Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas (left) continue to work with executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman?

Will Philadelphia Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas (left) continue to work with executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman?

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The New York Jets conclude their spring workouts next week with their final set of OTA practices. Head coach Adam Gase has said he hopes the team hires a new general manager by next Thursday, when OTAs finish.

The team has had two rounds of interviews with four candidates: Eagles Joe Douglas, Seahawks’ Scott Fitterer, Saints’ Terry Fontenot, and Bears’ Champ Kelly

Douglas started as the early favorite to replace Mike Maccagnan. But NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo have reported that Fitterer could be a serious contender.

Not so, says The Athletic’s Jay Glazer, who insists Douglas is the frontrunner, despite the Eagles attempts to keep him in Philadelphia.

It has been Joe Douglas all along but the Eagles were really trying to squeeze Joe and convince him that staying with Philly is a better opportunity. On the surface, the Jets job is not the most appealing gig. For one, there’s the recent history of the Jets, which isn’t pretty. Two, there’s the question of the ownership and what happens when Woody Johnson (who is currently serving as U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom) returns? You don’t really look at the Jets and think how great it would be to work for them. Sure, you’ve got a good, young quarterback in Sam Darnold, and that should factor in some. But listen, I’m from Jersey but if you gave me a job right now to move my ass right in the middle of Jersey, it better be for a lot of damn money, because I am not going back.

Buy Jets tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek, Ticketmaster

The Jets concluded their mandatory minicamp Thursday by cancelling practice and heading to TopGolf in Edison for some team bonding.

Mike Rosenstein may be reached at mrosenstein@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @rosenstein73. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

• Upvote 1