(Real or Fake?) Joe Douglas turns Down Jets GM Position

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That’s literally the only tweet out there that is reporting this. And Luciano is using it as his only source for the article. This is obvious click bait. It even says Douglas is still an option in the very same article. It literally says nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Thank you I will not waste time reading that tripe!!!  

I need my brain free for real worrying concerning the Jets! :) 

• Sympathy 1

I wouldn't mind if it were true. Supposubly the guy with the Seahawks was very impressive during his interview, the way I read the article it almost feels like frit did a better job but we never intended to hire anyone but Douglas. I don't really have an opinion on either guy, I wasn't there for their interviews and I believe it is hard to really gauge the accomplishments of gm candidates who have never been gms before.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

45 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you I will not waste time reading that tripe!!!  

I need my brain free for real worrying concerning the Jets! :) 

Hey, none of us can say for sure what is happening behind closed doors, but this is certainly nothing concrete. Rappaport tweeted about Leveon around midnight.  this tweet came in much earlier than that and we haven't seen anything from him.  This is an article trying to get clicks off of one tweet trying to get clicks. 

Tripe... I like that  :P 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

That’s literally the only tweet out there that is reporting this. And Luciano is using it as his only source for the article. This is obvious click bait. It even says Douglas is still an option in the very same article. It literally says nothing.

I hate this kind of cr*p

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

And, the McIntyre tweet which is the basis for the entire article says "as of right now" which suggests that they may still be neogtiating.  I have been trying not to get to "up" over previous reports that it is a done deal.  Similarly I am not going to get to "down" over a single negative report.

Just want the drama to end soon so they can get on with the business of preparing for the season.

• Sympathy 1

And, the McIntyre tweet which is the basis for the entire article says "as of right now" which suggests that they may still be neogtiating.  I have been trying not to get to "up" over previous reports that it is a done deal.  Similarly I am not going to get to "down" over a single negative report.
Just want the drama to end soon so they can get on with the business of preparing for the season.

Well said. That’s exactly right. Not too up. Not too down. I definitely have a propensity to lean toward the negative with this franchise but this one is just weak.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if you consider this with manish's tweet that the jets are not happy that the overwhelming perception is that it is douglass' job if he wants it and this could be some posturing by cj to rein in this narrative.  

I mean, if you connect the dots, it seems more likely to me at least that both sides are just negotiating through the media, including the one leak that got released about the perception thing. I mean there's also a lot of noise.

The Scott Fitterer thing yesterday for Rap (a league connected guy) could be an agent propping up Scott Fitterer for future interviews, or could be the Jets trying to paint leverage that they don't have to automatically go Joe Douglas to get a better deal.

The perception thing could be the Jets saying they are considering other candidates to again get a better deal financially. The reaching out to other candidates for financials is probably a Plan B thing in case this falls through.

The timing of the leak today could be Joe Douglas's side suggesting the offer isn't good enough and he's thinking about walking, when realistically, this dude must want to be a GM badly.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, if you connect the dots, it seems more likely to me at least that both sides are just negotiating through the media, including the one leak that got released about the perception thing. I mean there's also a lot of noise.

The Scott Fitterer thing yesterday for Rap (a league connected guy) could be an agent propping up Scott Fitterer for future interviews, or could be the Jets trying to paint leverage that they don't have to automatically go Joe Douglas to get a better deal.

The perception thing could be the Jets saying they are considering other candidates to again get a better deal financially. The reaching out to other candidates for financials is probably a Plan B thing in case this falls through.

The timing of the leak today could be Joe Douglas's side suggesting the offer isn't good enough and he's thinking about walking, when realistically, this dude must want to be a GM badly.

gm jobs are obviously very difficult to get.  names become hot for a finite period of time.  the jets could hire someone else and that guy could be fine and then this gig isn't available anymore.  plus you have the proximity to his home and the jets have a qb.  he should really want this job.  all of these candidates should.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, freestater said:

This really isn't going to surprise me. Joe Douglas is the piece that fits perfectly, so of course Johnson is going to smash a square peg into a round hole and we'll have one more go around of GM and HC on different pages 

All 4 candidates fit equally well. 

We're on the first name that was talked up.  

And of course blame a Johnson, the usual fallback

• Upvote 1

I'm ok if this is just negotiations or if the Jets were truly impressed with one of the other candidates. What I hope is NOT happening is the 3rd guy who was in on the interviews with CJ & Gase (can't find his name) is having more say on the decsion than Gase. While Gase has yet to accomplish much of anything in his coaching career, he is a football guy and I hope CJ gives more weight to his opinion/feelings on this over the 3rd guy in the room who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a business guy.

16 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm ok if this is just negotiations or if the Jets were truly impressed with one of the other candidates. What I hope is NOT happening is the 3rd guy who was in on the interviews with CJ & Gase (can't find his name) is having more say on the decsion than Gase. While Gase has yet to accomplish much of anything in his coaching career, he is a football guy and I hope CJ gives more weight to his opinion/feelings on this over the 3rd guy in the room who I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is just a business guy.

Found the name of the 3rd guy. Hymie Elhai - Senior VP Business Affairs & General Counsel. Been with the org for 19 years. Not a lot of good football decisions have been made during that time frame IMO

Report: Joe Douglas has turned the New York Jets down 

ByJEFF KERR 19 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If the Philadelphia Eagles were preparing to lose Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, those plans may be on a permanent hold. Douglas was seen at the NovaCare Complex for both of the open Eagles voluntary OTA practices this weeks, which led to speculation if we was going to accept the Jets' vacant general manager position.

According to Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead, Douglas turned the Jets down as it "only came down to money." Douglas and the Jets are less than a million dollars apart, indicating the Jets won't go higher than their offer to Douglas.

If negotiations are off, Douglas will remain with the Eagles in his current role. Right now, he will not be the Jets general manager.

Douglas has served in his role with the Eagles since 2016 and has been instrumental in the Eagles' last two drafts. He runs the draft board and the scouting department, which has developed into one of the best in the NFL.

The Eagles have built a strong collaboration with Douglas, Executive Vice President of Football Operations Howie Roseman and Head Coach Doug Pederson, a relationship that is as strong as it's ever been.

"Our relationship has been great. It's like we've said before. He's a big part of our scouting process and getting the information we need through our scouts and assisting us in that area," Pederson said. "Our process has always been a collaborative one. There is a lot of open dialog, whether it's between me and [Executive Vice President of Football Operations] Howie [Roseman], Joe and Howie, the three of us together, our owner [Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Lurie], and he's really built that relationship and has done a good job for us."

Douglas and Jets head coach Adam Gase have been known to have a tremendous relationship from their days with the Chicago Bears and there was speculation Douglas would have taken the vacant general manager job with the Miami Dolphins if the organization held onto Gase. Passing up an opportunity to reunite with Gase would be a huge blow for the Jets. 

If Douglas and the Jets can't come to an agreement, Chicago Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel Champ Kelly could be next in line for the general manager spot (per McIntyre). 

Kelly has been with the Bears since 2015. He previously worked as the team's Director of Pro Scouting before earning the Assistant Director of Player Personnel title. Chicago broke down what the young personnel man has done over the course of the last few seasons with the organization on its website:

"In his current role, Kelly works collaboratively with Bears Director of Player Personnel Josh Lucas and College Scouting Director Mark Sadowski in directing both the Bears pro personnel and college scouting departments.

As the Bears Director of Pro Scouting, Kelly oversaw all pro player evaluations, the advance scouting process, free agency, and evaluated talent in all professional leagues including the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League. In addition, Kelly assists the college scouting staff with player evaluations and trades for the NFL draft."

Like Douglas, Kelly also has a connection with Gase. Prior to his run with the Bears, Kelly spent eight seasons with the Denver Broncos. He held the title of Assistant Director of Pro Personnel with the organization while also serving as a scout and Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting at one point. It was during his time in Denver he had the opportunity to work with Gase.

Douglas and the Jets may not be finished negotiating at this point, but talks seems to have reached a crossroads. 

I mean, it looks like an article based off the one tweet we saw yesterday. If he actually turned it down for good, you would 100% hearing it corroborated from actual sources. This is probably just a negotiating ploy to get the Jets to offer more money.

Also, you can tell this person is adding nothing new because this article is basically:

EYECATCHING HEADLINE

-> Here is the tweet from yesterday

-> Here is who is Joe Douglas

-> Here is Champ Kelly

-> I added nothing of value!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1