(Real or Fake?) Joe Douglas turns Down Jets GM Position

3 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Report: Joe Douglas has turned the New York Jets down 

ByJEFF KERR 19 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If the Philadelphia Eagles were preparing to lose Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Joe Douglas to the New York Jets, those plans may be on a permanent hold. Douglas was seen at the NovaCare Complex for both of the open Eagles voluntary OTA practices this weeks, which led to speculation if we was going to accept the Jets' vacant general manager position.

According to Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead, Douglas turned the Jets down as it "only came down to money." Douglas and the Jets are less than a million dollars apart, indicating the Jets won't go higher than their offer to Douglas.

If negotiations are off, Douglas will remain with the Eagles in his current role. Right now, he will not be the Jets general manager.

Douglas has served in his role with the Eagles since 2016 and has been instrumental in the Eagles' last two drafts. He runs the draft board and the scouting department, which has developed into one of the best in the NFL.

The Eagles have built a strong collaboration with Douglas, Executive Vice President of Football Operations Howie Roseman and Head Coach Doug Pederson, a relationship that is as strong as it's ever been.

"Our relationship has been great. It's like we've said before. He's a big part of our scouting process and getting the information we need through our scouts and assisting us in that area," Pederson said. "Our process has always been a collaborative one. There is a lot of open dialog, whether it's between me and [Executive Vice President of Football Operations] Howie [Roseman], Joe and Howie, the three of us together, our owner [Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Lurie], and he's really built that relationship and has done a good job for us."

Douglas and Jets head coach Adam Gase have been known to have a tremendous relationship from their days with the Chicago Bears and there was speculation Douglas would have taken the vacant general manager job with the Miami Dolphins if the organization held onto Gase. Passing up an opportunity to reunite with Gase would be a huge blow for the Jets. 

If Douglas and the Jets can't come to an agreement, Chicago Bears Assistant Director of Player Personnel Champ Kelly could be next in line for the general manager spot (per McIntyre). 

Kelly has been with the Bears since 2015. He previously worked as the team's Director of Pro Scouting before earning the Assistant Director of Player Personnel title. Chicago broke down what the young personnel man has done over the course of the last few seasons with the organization on its website:

"In his current role, Kelly works collaboratively with Bears Director of Player Personnel Josh Lucas and College Scouting Director Mark Sadowski in directing both the Bears pro personnel and college scouting departments.

As the Bears Director of Pro Scouting, Kelly oversaw all pro player evaluations, the advance scouting process, free agency, and evaluated talent in all professional leagues including the Canadian Football League and Arena Football League. In addition, Kelly assists the college scouting staff with player evaluations and trades for the NFL draft."

Like Douglas, Kelly also has a connection with Gase. Prior to his run with the Bears, Kelly spent eight seasons with the Denver Broncos. He held the title of Assistant Director of Pro Personnel with the organization while also serving as a scout and Assistant Coordinator of Pro and College Scouting at one point. It was during his time in Denver he had the opportunity to work with Gase.

Douglas and the Jets may not be finished negotiating at this point, but talks seems to have reached a crossroads. 

This came out yesterday afternoon and was a report on the same tweet that we talked about all day yesterday.  I don't think it's any new news.  And depending on who you listen to the negotiations may still be ongoing. 

Let's all agree that someone will start a new thread if something happens so I don't have to wade through all the Macc fighting in the other threads.

They’re “only” a million dollars apart? Over one year or over the course of the contract? Even over the course of the contract that’s hardly only. It sounds like Douglas thinks he has all the leverage and is trying to fleece the Jets. C and W offer him one of your residences for free and a lifetime supply of Tylenol. 

• Haha 1

if you consider this with manish's tweet that the jets are not happy that the overwhelming perception is that it is douglass' job if he wants it and this could be some posturing by cj to rein in this narrative.  

This is giving CJ the benefit of the doubt that he’s competent. I’m giving it to him for now.

I hope the plan was Douglas all along - and I certainly hope they get him for that reason alone.
Having a plan and executing said plan hasn’t exactly been the Jets strong suit. Hopefully things are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Xtina said:

They’re “only” a million dollars apart? Over one year or over the course of the contract? Even over the course of the contract that’s hardly only. It sounds like Douglas thinks he has all the leverage and is trying to fleece the Jets. 

Definitely could be the case. 

C and W offer him one of your residences for free and a lifetime supply of Tylenol. 

You’re on to something. Season ticket holders should get a bottle of Tylenol from the Jets each August as well. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is giving CJ the benefit of the doubt that he’s competent. I’m giving it to him for now.

I hope the plan was Douglas all along - and I certainly hope they get him for that reason alone.
Having a plan and executing said plan hasn’t exactly been the Jets strong suit. Hopefully things are changing.

24:25:31

I agree. If this was a long, thought out plan, which it sounds like it was, it can't come down to $. That flies against all logic, even in Jet World.

• Upvote 1

I just find it hard to believe that even low grade journalists would publish articles saying that Douglas has turned down the job unless there was an awful lot of truth behind it.  The other journalists are just waiting for more confirmed information.

Its a leak designed to make the Johnsons look cheap and incompetent.   It is working.  

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

I just find it hard to believe that even low grade journalists would publish articles saying that Douglas has turned down the job unless there was an awful lot of truth behind it.  The other journalists are just waiting for more confirmed information.

Its a leak designed to make the Johnsons look cheap and incompetent.   It is working.  

Who are these "journalists" your talking about?

There are no journalists anymore.  Can't even think of one

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

It's a leak likely designed to put pressure on the Johnsons into ponying up... And it should work.

He is the best candidate and he does have the leverage. Just pay the man. The idea that we could get stuck with a second tier candidate because of a little money is so disheartening. 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:35 AM, GREENBEAN said:

That’s literally the only tweet out there that is reporting this. And Luciano is using it as his only source for the article. This is obvious click bait. It even says Douglas is still an option in the very same article. It literally says nothing.

Negotiations often don't go as smoothly as both sides would like, but I think it will get worked out.

• Sympathy 1

Negotiations often don't go as smoothly as both sides would like, but I think it will get worked out.

That’s what I’m hoping for. But even if it doesn’t get done, this article means nothing. Anyone of us could have put the same crap out there based on a baseless tweet.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:35 AM, TokyoJetsFan said:

This is a tweet by an NBA reporter who doesn’t even get NBA rumors right. Douglas will be our GM by Friday.

At this point I just want it done already ! Don't really have a preference as to who.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

If it’s really less than 1 million bucks. That’s piss in the grand scheme of things. If they really want him they will give him the extra bucks.

Maybe that's what they get for letting it out there that he was their top man from the beginning.

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Fontenot.

He checks 2 boxes for the cheap ex-pat Johnson.

1) Woody rarely passes up a chance to hire a minority candidate. 

2) He will by far cost the least of all 4 candidates.

You get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Maybe that's what they get for letting it out there that he was their top man from the beginning.

You mean the media topped who decided he was the favorite candidate because he had a relationship with Gase?  Jets didn't let out anything but the 4 candidates. 

And of course fans want the first name they heard so...

36 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

So in other words....they're doing what people call "negotiating", but no one has turned down anything.

Pretty much. Some hardball negotiating going on right now. Shows how much each party wants to make this happen. Douglas can say FU but he hasn’t. The Jets can sign one of the other 3 qualified candidates but they haven’t. Both are using the media to gain leverage. Douglas is winning the media battle.

They’ll meet in the middle and get it done.