Jets not Digging Doug? Rumor Says Gang Green not Meeting Douglas Demands

Chris-Johnson.jpg

Everybody knows that the best way to negotiate a contract is through the media, so there’s no way this could possibly go wrong, right Jets fans?  

Jason McIntyre of Fox Sports Radio is reporting that the Jets and top GM candidate Joe Douglas aren’t on the same page as the team tries to lure him away from the Philadelphia Eagles.  The sticking point, according to McIntyre, is money.

Bad news Jets fans: As of *right now*, Joe Douglas turned the Jets down. It ONLY came down to money.

Maybe cheap Jets wisen up and give him the # he wants – they're less than a million per year apart – otherwise, it's Champ Kelly time

— Jason McIntyre (@jasonrmcintyre) June 5, 2019

New York Jets beat write Manish Mehta of the New York Daily news chimed in just a few days ago, saying that a fair offer from the Jets to Douglas would be in the $2.5 million per year range but if that’s where the Jets offer is, it’s apparently going to have to be a bit more.

Jets announce they’ve finished interviewing Eagles exec Joe Douglas.

He is Adam Gase’s choice to be next Jets GM. Unless Douglas disappointed in interview, he’s in line to take over.

Fair contract: 5-year deal for $2-2.5M/yr

Bears exec Champ Kelly scheduled to interview next

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) June 2, 2019

After remaining completely silent on the matter for weeks, the Jets have reportedly leaked to the media that they’re upset over Douglas being rumored as the team’s “top choice”.  This could be a case of the Jets  preparing to lose out on Douglas while still being able to say they got “their guy” when a hire is eventually made.

The post Jets not Digging Doug? Rumor Says Gang Green not Meeting Douglas Demands appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hDmgAmWFRb0

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, jack48 said:

I have no idea what the going rate is, but I would expect the Jets to pay a little more just on principle.  Are we talking about a few hundred grand?  Is it a matter of what Gase is getting?

Siloed structure creates this type of conflict. The obvious resolution would be to give Gase a raise to match whatever Douglas wants.

• Upvote 1

Champ Kelly, Fitterer or Fontenot could do the job too. The QB is in place, the HC is in place, they have a good group of veteran leaders, and it's obvious the Oline & CB need attention. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! 

Hell, if someone was in place already, we should be negotiating with the Redskins & we'd have a stud LT for the next 5 years & we could draft another one & plug him in at RT. This team is a few pcs & continuity from competing for the AFC East title for the next 5 years. All 3 of those guys have come from organizations that have drafted very well recently, especially Kelly & Fontenot. 

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Why do I even bother with this team?

So you think Douglas is more competent than Kelly, Fontenot or Fitterer? 

No one really knows sh*t about this guy? And most of that Eagles Oline have been there for a while. 

The Bears & Eagles have had much better recent drafts than the Eagles. The Eagles had gone after a bunch of veterans recently like Long, Jefferies, Ajayi, Blount. 

I knew this would happen that once the media story of Douglas relationship with Gase was revealed, every Jet fan who knows nothing about the guy would put his name 1st on the ballot because of it when 2 other guys are clearly just as capable. I'm actually leaning towards Champ Kelly. Like I've said, there are guys on this board that could target the draft in 2020 & 2021, add a few free agents & get us to the promised land. 

Just like Belichick would still be a coaching genius, he ain't winning 5 Super Bowls without TB12 at the helm, same goes for any of these guys stepping into the Jets GM spot, I feel Gase mentors Sam into the next great QB, that will be a huge % of the new guys success & future record as a GM.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Relax.

The Jets will pay for what they want.  If they like Douglas the most, they'll pay him.  Unless they like someone else just as much and don't feel Douglas is worth the money.

All the upcoming tweets mean nothing.

GM salary doesn't count towards the cap.  The billionaire owners won't let a couple hundred grand or couple million per year affect their team's earning potential moving forward.

Chill.  Ignore Manish.  Enjoy your summer.

The Jets will get the GM they want.

I like you

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Gase shouldn’t have anything to do with the contract. He’s the coach not the real GM, president or owner. 

The whole point of this silly structure is to keep the GM and coach on “equal footing.” Once one is paid more than the other that changes. It’s likely going to take more than Gase’s per year salary to pry Douglas away.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

the Jets have reportedly leaked to the media that they’re upset over Douglas being rumored as the team’s “top choice”.  This could be a case of the Jets  preparing to lose out on Douglas while still being able to say they got “their guy” when a hire is eventually made.

A leak that the Jets are upset about the leaks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

So you think Douglas is more competent than Kelly, Fontenot or Fitterer

Did I say that?

What I think is Douglas is on the same page as our HC. Unlike the last 4 ******* sets of HC and GM. How well has forcing two random guys together, worked for this team? Nice little diatribe, but you didn't address the concern I have at all. Wanna know why? Because you jumped to a conclusion to prop up your stupid straw man argument. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Champ Kelly, Fitterer or Fontenot could do the job too. The QB is in place, the HC is in place, they have a good group of veteran leaders, and it's obvious the Oline & CB need attention. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! 

Hell, if someone was in place already, we should be negotiating with the Redskins & we'd have a stud LT for the next 5 years & we could draft another one & plug him in at RT. This team is a few pcs & continuity from competing for the AFC East title for the next 5 years. All 3 of those guys have come from organizations that have drafted very well recently, especially Kelly & Fontenot. 

I agree. Then why was Mac fired after allowing him to run the draft, and spend oodles of money on Free Agents. Makes no sense whatsoever. None.

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Agreed....f**k this guy, I don’t care how many accolades get showered on him “new, best GM”, the Johnson’s are cheap, just like the Wilpons, that’s reality, without a QB the Jets would be wondering for another 40 years in the desert with their bargain basement Front Office, their “Scouts” have needed their glasses adjusted for generations, different owners, doesn’t matter, their “Scouts” have ALWAYS been near the bottom or probably the worst in the NFL, same as the Mets “Scouts”, this Alonso kid is about the only premier position player the Mets have ever come up with since Darryl Strawberry was picked first (how difficult was that?), this is over a 50 year period haha.....same type of “success” over in Jet land.

Nothing you can do as a fan but gripe.  Thinking these Owners will change is pure fantasy.

But it won’t matter, they LUCKED into a kid who might not “be the best QB in the NFL in a few years, the next Peyton Manning” as Tony Romo projects, but he WILL be close to that, and that’s awesome.

You can get an old crushed coffee cup with a spent cigarette butt inside put it on Maccagnan’s chair and it’ll do better than him.  Whoever is finally hired as GM, doesn’t look like Douglas at this point, they ain’t going to pay him, that’s just how these twerps roll, guaranteed they’re upset they still have to write checks to Bowles and Maccagnan for another 2 years, has a pretty clear cut vision of what to do next.

Yeah like you say “it’s not Rocket Science” at this point, keep loading up the Oline and make tweaks here and there, Darnold will soon be putting up 30+ points a game.

Let Douglas stay in sh*thole Philadelphia, who will never win again anyway, the Wentz kid will always get hurt.  He didn’t build the team that caught lightning in a bottle with Nick Foles anyway.  Think about it, Philadelphia actually got rid of Nick Foles, they bring him back and he takes them all the way, where is the foresight?  You get rid of the guy who can win it all?.  I doubt Wentz would have beaten New England.

Every GM makes mistakes, but when you have a Top 3 QB, he’ll mask most of those mistakes...and Darnold will be that, and he will do that.  The Johnson’s know that.  So why go into our pockets and pay Douglas more than than want to?  That’s their thinking.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Relax.

The Jets will pay for what they want.  If they like Douglas the most, they'll pay him.  Unless they like someone else just as much and don't feel Douglas is worth the money.

All the upcoming tweets mean nothing.

GM salary doesn't count towards the cap.  The billionaire owners won't let a couple hundred grand or couple million per year affect their team's earning potential moving forward.

Chill.  Ignore Manish.  Enjoy your summer.

The Jets will get the GM they want.

I don't know what Gase is getting paid but Bowles had a 4 mil salary.

The Johnsons may have been learning on the job but I haven't seen any evidence that they spare any expense so far. 

The money is not the problem. 

• Upvote 4

I mean, I don't know if Joe Douglas is the right guy for the job over the others, but the main point about why this is so dumb isn't about that. It's that they are somehow trying to cut corners at the core foundation of their business. The scouting department and lead executive should be where you invest your resources in getting the most competent people. Just because you idiotically signed dumb and dumber to an ill-advised extension and had to fire them early shouldn't have anything to do with it. Sunk costs.

It'd be like a large tech company trying to cut corners in Research and Development. Sure you can save a few bucks in the short-term, but long-term it's just a stupid decision for the soundness of your business. And the kicker is that there is almost no way the Johnsons should have made less money over the last several years because the last CBA was bonkers financially for the owners in controlling costs.

So yes, if they lose Joe Douglas I assume some of the other candidates can do a good job as well, but finances and budget shouldn't be the main driving factor of this decision.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Call me crazy but Chicago has drafted better than Philly IMO. All in on Kelly!

Guy has a Masters in Business then worked for IBM, and his been around for some very good drafting in Chicago.

Maccagnan has a degree in Economics and then used it to scout, drumroll.... in Canada haha.  Not much use of his Economics degree.  Who the hell got that guy into football in the first place?  I’m thinking Casserly is friends with his family from way way back.

I’d be fine with hiring Kelly, very impressive candidate, as opposed to a guy like Maccagnan who you wouldn’t trust to bring you back the correct change if you asked him to get you a quart of milk, even with his “economics degree”.

”Economics degree”...guy pays Fitzpatrick and McCown 3x MORE than anyone else would pay.

Considering who was the last GM, just about anyone will be a major upgrade, but Kelly looks very legitimate, not a roll of the dice.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Guy has a Masters in Business then worked for IBM, and his been around for some very good drafting in Chicago.

Maccagnan has a degree in Economics and then used it to scout, drumroll.... in Canada haha.  Not much use of his Economics degree.  Who the hell got that guy into football in the first place?  I’m thinking Casserly is friends with his family from way way back.

I’d be fine with hiring Kelly, very impressive candidate, as opposed to a guy like Maccagnan who you wouldn’t trust to bring you back the correct change if you asked him to get you a quart of milk, even with his “economics degree”.

”Economics degree”...guy pays Fitzpatrick and McCown 3x MORE than anyone else would pay.

Considering who was the last GM, just about anyone will be a major upgrade, but Kelly looks very legitimate, not a roll of the dice.

Posts like this are one of the reasons the Jets once again are the laughing stock of the league.

• Thumb Down 4

6 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I mean, I don't know if Joe Douglas is the right guy for the job over the others, but the main point about why this is so dumb isn't about that. It's that they are somehow trying to cut corners at the core foundation of their business. The scouting department and lead executive should be where you invest your resources in getting the most competent people. Just because you idiotically signed dumb and dumber to an ill-advised extension and had to fire them early shouldn't have anything to do with it. Sunk costs.

It'd be like a large tech company trying to cut corners in Research and Development. Sure you can save a few bucks in the short-term, but long-term it's just a stupid decision for the soundness of your business. And the kicker is that there is almost no way the Johnsons should have made less money over the last several years because the last CBA was bonkers financially for the owners in controlling costs.

So yes, if they lose Joe Douglas I assume some of the other candidates can do a good job as well, but finances and budget shouldn't be the main driving factor of this decision.

All valid and good points you make, and they make perfect sense IF the Jets needed to win to make their Owners money....THEY DON’T, same as the Mets.

The Johnson’s and Wilpons are rolling in 100’s of millions in tv revenue, rain or shine.

The Jets have appreciated in value around $1Bill since Johnson bought the team, so why quibble about maybe less than $1Mill a year to sign Douglas? Because the Johnson’s are cheap, they’d rather that extra 700k or whatever it is go into their pockets...which it will.

They also know they Lucked into a great young Franchise QB who will make their team exciting for years, no matter what puppet they make GM.

It’s a truism in life, that many of the richest people are also the cheapest.  Everything you say is logical, and as fan you have to say “the team is worth $1Bill more, they’re rolling in tv revenue, 100’s of millions per year, and they won’t go for an extra 700k for what the media all say is this great new GM candidate?!?!?, makes no sense”, and that’s all true.

But it doesn’t matter to a cheap person haha...they think about that last.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol except Kelly is an assistant VP of Player Personnel and has less say in the building in regards to the draft than Joe Douglas does in Philly.

And you know who has more say than the other?  Given they have no say, the final say is on the actual GM, hes the one who makes the picks.  The others give opinions, dont have say.  We dont know what goes on with either teams selection process, which asst has more influence, has been the bigger part of either teams draft.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Posts like this are one of the reasons the Jets once again are the laughing stock of the league.

The post? Or that they hired Maccagnan and the Cigar Store Indian, whose next adjustment made as a coach will be his first?

I’d say it’s the 2nd one.

But that’s changing.  You now have a couple of intelligent coaches running the Offense and Defense whereas you did not before, the new GM will get more protection for Darnold you can be sure Gase will ORDER that, because Gase’s future is tied to Darnold’s success.  Nice to finally have a coach who cares about the Offense, because you know, that’s the most important component of any team based on the rules implemented that FAVOR Offehse.

Not going to be a laughing stock anymore and that will be in spite of their Owners and regardless who is hired as GM.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The post? Or that they hired Maccagnan and the Cigar Store Indian, whose next adjustment made as a coach will be his first?

I’d say it’s the 2nd one.

But that’s changing.  You now have a couple of intelligent coaches running the Offense and Defense whereas you did not before, the new GM will get more protection for Darnold you can be sure Gase will ORDER that, because Gase’s future is tied to Darnold’s success.  Nice to finally have a coach who cares about the Offense, because you know, that’s the most important component of any team based on the rules implemented that FAVOR Offehse.

Not going to be a laughing stock anymore and that will be in spite of their Owners and regardless who is hired as GM.

It was Mac who insisted on bringing in Gregg Williams. That's why Matt Rhule isn't the HC here. I read a bunch of posts expressing optimism about the team and new staff. Who's the one who got them here. Mac.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you know who has more say than the other?  Given they have no say, the final say is on the actual GM, hes the one who makes the picks.  The others give opinions, dont have say.  We dont know what goes on with either teams selection process, which asst has more influence, has been the bigger part of either teams draft.

Let me help you out, Champ Kelly is below Joe Douglas in his front office role, that’s clear enough...therefore, usually, in the business world, the man with a higher role takes on more responsibility.  It is highly, HIGHLY reasonable to make an educated guess that Joe Douglas has more say in his building than someone who is under him and has a lesser job title. There is one man who has more say over Joe Douglas, that’s Howie. There are several men who have more say than Kelly. It’s really not that hard. No, none of them actually have final say, otherwise, they’d be GM’s because that’s what GM’s do. 

We can take into account, the intricacies of the each NFL team’s pecking order during draft season but because we DONT know these types of things, the reasonable alternative would be to go off of job roles and previous reports. You saying “ we don’t know what goes on!” Is really just a way to argue....Joe Douglas is higher on the chain of command... saying he doesn’t have more say almost feels more wrong than saying Chanp Kelly has the same amount of say.

• Upvote 2