Jets not Digging Doug? Rumor Says Gang Green not Meeting Douglas Demands

31 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't know. Like you said, it's comical. Gase was hired, presumably he, Mac, and Johnson, talked about, and agreed on the direction the team was going to go. What happened after the hire that led to Mac's firing is somewhat of a mystery. All i know is, to let a Gm spend a ton of money on free agents, and run the draft, a year after drafting a FQB,and then fire him, is unexplainable to me.

Not really a mystery.  It didnt work out and Macc was the one that needed to go.  

I would assume that the GM and the HC were at least close to agreement on who to go after, who to sign so dont see who actually handed the card in as being an issue.

Same situation that occured in KC the year that Dorsey was let go.  Right after FA and the Draft.  Dont remember all the talk about that one

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Why isn’t Kelly the VP of Player Personnel then? The GM’s trust has been earned to a higher degree from someone else rather than Kelly or else he would be the next guy under him, instead, he’s the second hand man’s second hand man. Kelly could be great but no matter how stupid you think job titles are, they are given out and earned. 

Someone else earned that job rather than Kelly. Douglas has that job. 

Dude I just want them to get it right, I think Douglas seems most qualified based on what we know from a reputation, resume and experience aspect. It’s not because of yada, yada he was the first guy mentioned, yada, yada. It’s because from everything a fan can gather — he seems more ready.

Jeez, who cares what their titles are?  Youre just going to go on and on and on that Douglas is clearly the best bet to become the better GM over everyone else.  Good for you, I'll stick to the we can only hope, not scream for one over the other as if we actually have a clue approach

7 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmm if you are right and the Jets ownership doesn’t get the best guy because they were “cheap” then they should just sell the team. 

Make their huge profits and go home.  

This is madness. 

The Jets have to get someone in here who knows what the hell they are doing. They can not keep paying people the lowest amounts HC and staff included and expect SB level results.  

Herm and staff was one of the lowest paid as was Mangini and Rex and we all saw that Bowles staff couldn’t compete with a Championship High school in some cases.  

It is embarrassing the way the Jets handle themselves and the old canard that they have a secret plan is laughable at this point.  

I wish they would sell the team, along with the owners of the Des Moines Iowa Mets (oops getting a little close there to that $150Mill ceiling on payroll don’t you think?  What every GM puppet they install will hear) and the midget “blues” singing billionaire who owns the Knicks.

Really a tragedy that NY “the Greatest City in the World” has people like this unfortunately owning their professional sports franchises.

And none of them will ever sell because owning a NY team is the same as being able to print money.  Look at the Knicks, they can barely break double digits in Wins in a season....but they’re one of the most highly valued sports franchises on the planet.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They were 4-12.  After 2 good drafts?  How does that happen?  Do you buy into the Bowles was horrible narrative? We were able to sign everybody we wanted in free agency?  What about the people not willing to come?  They weren't able to sign Barr or Cousins, were they? 

Unexplainable?  How is this hard to see?  When they talked, the team had a ton of money and #3 overall.  They had huge holes at C, LG, CB, OLB(DE/Rush End, whatever you want to call it) and WR.  They drafted a DT and signed an ILB.  They added Bell, who the coach apparently isn't in love with.  Crowder is a nice piece, but despite the draft position and money there still is no #1.  They did zero to address C, they are starting Kelvin Beachum at LT and Brandon Shell in the final year of his deal, coming off a serious knee injury at RT.  Their sole hope at OLB is a 3rd round pick that admittedly bombed all interviews and ran a 5.02, who they hope will play at 235 pounds.  They refused to go after the TE the coach loved who signed a 1 year deal for $1.5M with $100K guaranteed.  Inexplicable, indeed.  Maybe the GM didn't keep with the plan and hold up his end of the bargain.

Not a tough guy!

I don't have the patience now to address all your points. At the end of the year, with a more polished Darnold, we'll see what our record is. Then we'll better be able to access where we are as a team, with regards to talent level. I don't think we were as bad as our record was last year. Darnold was a rookie who had a bunch of games where he struggled to find open receivers. He threw 4 interceptions against the Dolphins. How many points did the Phins score. Thirteen.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The whole point of this silly structure is to keep the GM and coach on “equal footing.” Once one is paid more than the other that changes. It’s likely going to take more than Gase’s per year salary to pry Douglas away.

It should be the owner then president then GM then HC or shit doesn’t work. 

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Which speaks poorly for the fan's perspective rather than well for the argument.

Not exactly. Think about it. All we have is data complied over the last few drafts, his resume, league rep and his public interviews. 

Is that not what 90% of official team interviews are for? To go over the information that is already publicly out there? He just speaks with them in a more detailed manner on it and he gives his overall layout/plan for the Jets.

none of this is new, cool and otherwise secretive info that us, the fans, don’t already know and can’t get a good enough feeling on.

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Jeez, who cares what their titles are?  Youre just going to go on and on and on that Douglas is clearly the best bet to become the better GM over everyone else.  Good for you, I'll stick to the we can only hope, not scream for one over the other as if we actually have a clue approach

Job titles mean nothing, they’re given out like candy, okay?

37 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't have the patience now to address all your points. At the end of the year, with a more polished Darnold, we'll see what our record is. Then we'll better be able to access where we are as a team, with regards to talent level. I don't think we were as bad as our record was last year. Darnold was a rookie who had a bunch of games where he struggled to find open receivers. He threw 4 interceptions against the Dolphins. How many points did the Phins score. Thirteen.

So 5-11?  Again.  I agree that they were probably a bit better than their record, but even with excellent QB play they are not a .500 team.  More importantly, there were several reports that Gase did not like the direction Maccagnan took the team during free agency and the draft.  Whether that was Maccagnan's failure or Gase pulling some Machiavellian sh*t remains to be seen.  

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Job titles mean nothing, they’re given out like candy, okay?

You cant come back with anything about their qualifications other than what you think they do, what theyve done.

Youre apparently having a hard time with this, having a hard time dealing with someone who has clearly said over and over that we dont know who has what kind of influence and you keep coming back with nothing more than they have different titles, titles that you have no idea entail just what exactly.

Candy no, do they vary from team to team, mean something a little different or does one stop you from being more influential than another?  Tells us what you know, not whatever you can come up with to drive home the idea the first guy you heard about, the guy if he sat next to you that you wouldnt have an idea who he was is the one and only guy you think is right for the job and anyone else signed is a classic mistake.  I get it. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So 5-11?  Again.  I agree that they were probably a bit better than their record, but even with excellent QB play they are not a .500 team.  More importantly, there were several reports that Gase did not like the direction Maccagnan took the team during free agency and the draft.  Whether that was Maccagnan's failure or Gase pulling some Machiavellian sh*t remains to be seen.  

What they lose, 8 games by a single score or less?

Yes, excellent QB play could have gotten them to .500.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Tells us what you know, not whatever you can come up with to drive home the idea the first guy you heard about, the guy if he sat next to you that you wouldnt have an idea who he was is the one and only guy you think is right for the job and anyone else signed is a classic mistake.  I get it. 

But even if things vary from team to team, there’s still a fine line between job titles/duties and just because one team may let their asst. VP do more than other asst. VP’s doesn’t mean that there isn’t a stoppage point where Kelly’s experience and voice falls shorter than anyone above him.(like an actual VP)

I don’t think anyone else signed would be a mistake, per say. I just like our chances with Douglas as it stands today.

i promise you, it goes deeper than me campaigning for a guy I think works well here. There an actual point to this lol.

Like I keep saying. Who cares who the GM is as long as he understands that Darnold is the priority of the team for the next 10-15 years. Then put that focus into practice. Any 4 of those guys can do the job if that's their focus and they surround themselves with a good scouting staff.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Like I keep saying. Who cares who the GM is as long as he understands that Darnold is the priority of the team for the next 10-15 years.

Bc they have to actually scout and evaluate talent well and be able maneuver around well with picks, money and daily wavier wire. Great scouts are great but it’s his decision at the end.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, genot said:

I don't buy into the Mac was horrible narrative. His last three drafts have been good. I believe the last two have been very good. He managed the cap well enough, where we were able to sign everybody we wanted to in free agency, with a big chunk of money left for next off season. He's made some mistakes with regards to trades. He also has made some very good moves to bring talent here via trade.

The best thing Macc did here was draft Darnold. The worst thing he did is have $100 million and decide that protecting Darnold wasn't important. Those two things cancel each other out. 75% of the rest of his work he did here was an utter failure. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What they lose, 8 games by a single score or less?

Yes, excellent QB play could have gotten them to .500.  

Ooooh .500!  Every team's goal!  Besides the fact that is what I said, you do know that most games are pretty close, right?  You don't get credit for losing by less than 7.  When you see an 8 point spread, that is an expected rout.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bc they have to actually scout and evaluate talent well and be able maneuver around well with picks, money and daily wavier wire. Great scouts are great but it’s his decision at the end.

What makes you believe Douglas is any better doing those things than the other 3? Douglas is credited with his draft expertise which has nothing to do with some of the skills you mentioned. They're all risks.

the smartest thing Woody Johnson ever did was buy the Jets. It's become the bulk of his assets as well as his largest source of income. 

they are rich AF but because they aren't Sajid Khan, the Johnson family use the team as a piggy bank. 

They never spend to the salary cap (they are still 30 mil under). 

They have this wacky reporting structure which allows the owner to simultaneously meddle and also shift blame 

and it means when there are GM/coaching options available they take the cheapest option. 

all that money goes back into the Johnson's pockets

the difference between a 3 million dollar GM and a 2 million dollar GM is a million dollars of Profit. 

End of the day it doesn't matter because the Jets are the 8th most valuable franchise despite being 4-12 and 30th in power rankings. Winning doesn't correlate to making money in the NFL. in fact you can kind of make more on autopilot.

• Upvote 2

It may not be just about Douglas' salary.   There was an article recently about him asking for enough budget to bring in the guys he wants.  Which is all well and good unless he's trying to take advantage and leverage this moment into an opportunity to create a 'friends and family' payday for people that may not warrant it.  I have no idea if that's related but if it is, the Jets shouldn't just automatically go belly-up.  If Joe is willing to walk away from the opportunity over some dollars, whether for him or his staff, it's fair to ask if the Jets' offer was at or slightly above market before automatically accusing them of being cheap.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Only the Jets would pay $10mm/year to a washed up QB to change Darnold's diapers, but quibble about paying a GM who could actually make a big difference in the future of this organization.

they were forced to pay a certain amount of money to someone to stay above the salary floor. There is no salary floor for coaches or GMs 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

It may not be just about Douglas' salary.   There was an article recently about him asking for enough budget to bring in the guys he wants.   

how dare the new GM ask for resources? What does he think this is? A multi-billion dollar business? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

Chris-Johnson.jpg

Everybody knows that the best way to negotiate a contract is through the media, so there’s no way this could possibly go wrong, right Jets fans?  

Jason McIntyre of Fox Sports Radio is reporting that the Jets and top GM candidate Joe Douglas aren’t on the same page as the team tries to lure him away from the Philadelphia Eagles.  The sticking point, according to McIntyre, is money.

Bad news Jets fans: As of *right now*, Joe Douglas turned the Jets down. It ONLY came down to money.

Maybe cheap Jets wisen up and give him the # he wants – they're less than a million per year apart – otherwise, it's Champ Kelly time

— Jason McIntyre (@jasonrmcintyre) June 5, 2019

New York Jets beat write Manish Mehta of the New York Daily news chimed in just a few days ago, saying that a fair offer from the Jets to Douglas would be in the $2.5 million per year range but if that’s where the Jets offer is, it’s apparently going to have to be a bit more.

Jets announce they’ve finished interviewing Eagles exec Joe Douglas.

He is Adam Gase’s choice to be next Jets GM. Unless Douglas disappointed in interview, he’s in line to take over.

Fair contract: 5-year deal for $2-2.5M/yr

Bears exec Champ Kelly scheduled to interview next

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) June 2, 2019

After remaining completely silent on the matter for weeks, the Jets have reportedly leaked to the media that they’re upset over Douglas being rumored as the team’s “top choice”.  This could be a case of the Jets  preparing to lose out on Douglas while still being able to say they got “their guy” when a hire is eventually made.

The post Jets not Digging Doug? Rumor Says Gang Green not Meeting Douglas Demands appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

hDmgAmWFRb0

Click here to read the full story...

This is not shocking. ever since the Johnson bros took over, the Jets have been cheap paying for coaches or GM's

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

how dare the new GM ask for resources? What does he think this is? A multi-billion dollar business? 

But how much resources?  Or does it not matter.  "Oh and I'll need a $800k salary and a new Hummer for my brother-in-law who is currently is between acting gigs".  No one here knows what the ask was.  So tamp down on the histrionics until we at least know a little more.  Or are you truly comfortable depending on a random Fox Sports guy to have the reliable scoop on this.  Might be true.  Might not.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

VP of Player Personnel > Assistant VP of Player Personnel 

Nothing is more concrete from a fan’s perspective than that. 

So you dont know anything then, got it 

LaCanfora reported they were discussing budget. I presumed that to mean that salary had been agreed upon.  Otherwise why waste time discussing budget?  Of course, La Canfora might be full of it, too.  Are they fighting over budget?  Pretty cheesy.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

What makes you believe Douglas is any better doing those things than the other 3? Douglas is credited with his draft expertise which has nothing to do with some of the skills you mentioned. They're all risks.

I wasn’t referring to any particular candidate just then.

• Upvote 1