Gase takes team to Top Golf

On 6/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

Top Golf is great. Been going for years. They’ve had one here in Scottsdale for about 5 years now. They’re popping up everywhere I guess....even Jersey!

If you’ve never gone grab some friends and check it out. Food, drinks, fun golf games. Kind of like bowling and darts combined with golf.

Not in Maine yet..... I wanna go too!!

20 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So, for any activity to be considered a "sport".....

1]  There must be a "ball" involved.

2]  Said "ball" must be in motion, and has to be "hit".

3]  There must be a "defender" involved.

4]  There must be "body motion" that involves an elusive maneuver by one or more participants.

Therefore Boxing is not a sport.  All martial arts are not sports.  Most track and field exercises are not sports.  Most sports are not sports.  Got it.  Thanks for the clarification, Sperm..... 

Ridiculous.

sport
noun

1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

We had a great thread about this like 15 years ago.

Golf is not a sport. It's a difficult activity requiring skill and practice and more, but so are many things. If you can be a fat slob or well into your senior years and still be excellent then it's not a sport. Ping pong is more of a sport than golf. It just doesn't have the TV revenue or other spectator interest behind hit. But one could say that about lacrosse as well.

Boxing I think was a close call because there was no ball involved, but because the opponent is making direct contact with you a fist coming towards you behaves like a ball in motion. Ditto other martial arts.

Most of these other things are skillful activities, and may require athletic prowess like track, but they are not sports. The textbook definition is unconvincing, as these definitions are subjective and change as time marches on rather than being absolute.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think it’s a sport if you can do it while smoking three cigars while wearing khakis as a teen child carries your equipment for you. 

This. Or like I said above, if a 70 year-old fat slob can hit par (or even get close), then it's a skill not a sport. Arguing is also a skill. So is playing a video game. 

Some are borderline - track and field was brought up, and other similar things like skiing, swimming, etc. - and they certainly require athletic skill (indeed, they require more unique athletic skill than a backup RT possesses), but they aren't sports. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Golf is not a sport. It's a difficult activity requiring skill and practice and more, but so are many things. If you can be a fat slob or well into your senior years and still be excellent then it's not a sport. Ping pong is more of a sport than golf. It just doesn't have the TV revenue or other spectator interest behind hit. But one could say that about lacrosse as well.

Boxing I think was a close call because there was no ball involved, but because the opponent is making direct contact with you a fist coming towards you behaves like a ball in motion. Ditto other martial arts.

Most of these other things are skillful activities, and may require athletic prowess like track, but they are not sports. The textbook definition is unconvincing, as these definitions are subjective and change as time marches on rather than being absolute.

giphy (2).gif

• Sympathy 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:08 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Golf is not a real sport because the ball is not in motion at the time you hit it, plus there's no defender altering your swing or any body motion in real time to avoid or elude him.

Not a real sport was one of my favorite old JI threads

I agree that golf should not be categorized as a sport, but your qualification seems off. Basketball and football are two of the sportiest sports in the world, yet neither require a ball to be hit.

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. Or like I said above, if a 70 year-old fat slob can hit par (or even get close), then it's a skill not a sport. Arguing is also a skill. So is playing a video game. 

Some are borderline - track and field was brought up, and other similar things like skiing, swimming, etc. - and they certainly require athletic skill (indeed, they require more unique athletic skill than a backup RT possesses), but they aren't sports. 

Baseball is not a sport, because I'm in my mid 60's and can still hit a ball over 350 feet with a cigar in my mouth. Kids start playing organized ball when they still have their baby teeth. How can it be a sport when 6 year olds can play it? 

Football is not a sport because it is played by peudo strippers in lingerie and shoulder pads. Also can be played by 8 year old kids. Or drunk teenagers with towels hanging out of their as*es. Sounds just like the game of cornhole to me....

Basketball is not a sport because 6 year old girls play it. People in wheelchairs can and do play it. Men in their 70's can still play. In fact, the NY Knicks seem to be the only people I've ever seen who can't play basketball.

My point here is the same one I made earlier. Golf, like baseball, basketball and football are just games when played by most people. At their higher levels of competition they are sports.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Another criteria I would add to the discussion is anything where the final outcome, (winner vs loser) is subjectively decided by a Judge is not a sport.  Figure skating. Gymnastics.  Diving.  Exhibitions that require athleticism, artistry and skill.  But not a sport.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:40 AM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So, for any activity to be considered a "sport".....

1]  There must be a "ball" involved.

2]  Said "ball" must be in motion, and has to be "hit".

3]  There must be a "defender" involved.

4]  There must be "body motion" that involves an elusive maneuver by one or more participants.

Therefore Boxing is not a sport.  All martial arts are not sports.  Most track and field exercises are not sports.  Most sports are not sports.  Got it.  Thanks for the clarification, Sperm..... 

Ridiculous.

sport
noun

1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Getting in and out of the cart is really a reach in defining "exertion".

Now the 12 oz curls required to complete a hole is a different issue.  :)  

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Disagree Herm,

There have been quite a few "fat slobs" who have played in the NFL.  Some were considered stars. Ditto baseball, and other "bona fide activities" that even you would classify as sport.

George Blanda played quarterback at the age of 48 plus.  Others have played into their forties. Gordie Howe played a full season of Hockey at the age of 52.  Satchel Paige was 59 years old.  Hoyt Wilhelm was almost 50.  Gaylord Perry was 45.   I know they are the exceptions, but they exist.

Doc Ellis pitched a one hitter while under the influence of "acid".  I'm sure that Lawrence Taylor played under the influence of cocaine, if not crack.  He surely was "glowing" while doing his "work" as a commentator. Steve Howe has admitted to playing "under the influence many times.  The litany of professional athletes playing while " addled" is most likely astronomical.

At the end of the day, what you consider "sport" is no more a personal belief than it is for any other person.  It comes down to a matter of taste.  If you or Tom had played golf, I'm sure you would disagree.

Sport Name Age Played Year Retired
Aggressive Inline Skating Jon Julio[1] 34 years 2011
American football George Blanda 48 years, 109 days 1976
Association football Kazuyoshi Miura[2] 51 years Active
Australian rules football Sampson Hosking (SANFL)
Wally Watts (WAFL)
48 years, 159 days (interchange only)
44 years, 49 days
Auto racing Hershel McGriff 90 years 2018[3]
Baseball Satchel Paige 59 years, 350 days 1966
Basketball (Men's) Pierluigi Marzorati[4] 52 years 1998
Basketball (Women's) Nancy Lieberman[5] 50 years 2008
Bodybuilding Albert Beckles[6] 53 years 1991
Boxing Saoul Mamby 60 years 2008
Cricket (Tests) Wilfred Rhodes 52 years 1930
Cricket (First-class) Raja Maharaj Singh 72 years 1950
Cycling Lex Nederlof 52 years 2018[7]
Golf Gary Player 73 years 2009
Ice hockey Gordie Howe 69 years (played 1 shift) 1980
International Darts John Magowan 72 years 2013
Lacrosse John Tavares 47 years 2015
Mixed Martial Arts Skip Hall[8] 64 years 2008
Rugby league Billy Wilson 40 years, 5 days 1967
Snooker Fred Davis 78 years 1992
Surfing Kelly Slater 46 years Active
Tennis Martina Navratilova 49 years 2006
Track and Field Stanisław Kowalski[9] 106 years Active
Volleyball Miguel Maia 48 years 2007
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/8/2019 at 10:00 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It's a sport you play alone versus the course.

The course is the defender.  

Trees, hazards, bunkers, sloping greens.

Some courses are designed to play very easy because the wind is the main defense.

But the course itself is the same, and remains essentially unchanged for decades. There are no variables to the course other than the weather. So at best this comes out as: it's a sport if it's windy or wet, but it is not a sport if it isn't. Regardless it still isn't because it's not those people you're competing against who are affecting the wind. It's a little like saying speed reading is a sport because sometimes of the lighting conditions variable, plus sometimes the air conditioning isn't working. 

Golf is a fun game, and to be great requires years of practice and discipline, plus there's a DNA component in that not just anyone will be able to simply because of desire and practice and trying hard for years on end. But it's not a sport just because it's on ESPN, Nike sponsors players, and because they sell equipment at sporting goods stores (where they also sell clothing and gum). 

On 6/9/2019 at 1:05 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree that golf should not be categorized as a sport, but your qualification seems off. Basketball and football are two of the sportiest sports in the world, yet neither require a ball to be hit.

But the ball (or puck) is in motion and that is what affects scoring.

20 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Disagree Herm,

There have been quite a few "fat slobs" who have played in the NFL.  Some were considered stars. Ditto baseball, and other "bona fide activities" that even you would classify as sport.

George Blanda played quarterback at the age of 48 plus.  Others have played into their forties. Gordie Howe played a full season of Hockey at the age of 52.  Satchel Paige was 59 years old.  Hoyt Wilhelm was almost 50.  Gaylord Perry was 45.   I know they are the exceptions, but they exist.

Doc Ellis pitched a one hitter while under the influence of "acid".  I'm sure that Lawrence Taylor played under the influence of cocaine, if not crack.  He surely was "glowing" while doing his "work" as a commentator. Steve Howe has admitted to playing "under the influence many times.  The litany of professional athletes playing while " addled" is most likely astronomical.

At the end of the day, what you consider "sport" is no more a personal belief than it is for any other person.  It comes down to a matter of taste.  If you or Tom had played golf, I'm sure you would disagree.

Sport Name Age Played Year Retired
Aggressive Inline Skating Jon Julio[1] 34 years 2011
American football George Blanda 48 years, 109 days 1976
Association football Kazuyoshi Miura[2] 51 years Active
Australian rules football Sampson Hosking (SANFL)
Wally Watts (WAFL)
48 years, 159 days (interchange only)
44 years, 49 days
Auto racing Hershel McGriff 90 years 2018[3]
Baseball Satchel Paige 59 years, 350 days 1966
Basketball (Men's) Pierluigi Marzorati[4] 52 years 1998
Basketball (Women's) Nancy Lieberman[5] 50 years 2008
Bodybuilding Albert Beckles[6] 53 years 1991
Boxing Saoul Mamby 60 years 2008
Cricket (Tests) Wilfred Rhodes 52 years 1930
Cricket (First-class) Raja Maharaj Singh 72 years 1950
Cycling Lex Nederlof 52 years 2018[7]
Golf Gary Player 73 years 2009
Ice hockey Gordie Howe 69 years (played 1 shift) 1980
International Darts John Magowan 72 years 2013
Lacrosse John Tavares 47 years 2015
Mixed Martial Arts Skip Hall[8] 64 years 2008
Rugby league Billy Wilson 40 years, 5 days 1967
Snooker Fred Davis 78 years 1992
Surfing Kelly Slater 46 years Active
Tennis Martina Navratilova 49 years 2006
Track and Field Stanisław Kowalski[9] 106 years Active
Volleyball Miguel Maia 48 years 2007

I do play golf, and have for years. It's still not a sport.

Finding a single exception to a rule here or there doesn't therefore disprove the rule. On rare occasion there are those born who are physical freaks of nature, who age less rapidly than others. I'm about 50. I don't have the endurance I once had, and things hurt the next day much more than they used to (things like getting off a ****ing sofa if I fell asleep on it in anything less than an optimal body position). But on a good day when I haven't been lax in working out for weeks/months at a time, I can still perform at 80% or more of what I once could. I doubt I'll be able to perform at upwards of 90% of what I could do in my prime 10 years from now, let alone in 20 or 30 years, if I'm even still breathing. I'm also not going to be able to do backflips at 81 like Gary Player (but then I couldn't do that when I was 18-24 either). 

Also really, you're using international darts? 98% of those who throw darts only do so while drinking. Heavily. 

Regardless:

I'd like to thank you and others for helping me reignite one of my favorite old thread topics. :) 

• Haha 1