How worried should we be about the Gase and Bell relationship?

People have had a hard time distinguishing between philosophically not believing in paying top dollar for a RB and what we actually paid for Bell.  And then thinking that means theres no respecting Bell and what he brings to the team.

• Upvote 1

If the team wins all these guys will be chums, of they lose then they will be at each others throats.  Same with whoever our gm is and gase.  Win and it will be happy time, don;t win over say two years and they will be trying to get rid of each other.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

People have had a hard time distinguishing between philosophically not believing in paying top dollar for a RB and what we actually paid for Bell.  And then thinking that means theres no respecting Bell and what he brings to the team.

I have a feeling Gase was annoyed for about a nanosecond thinking he could have gotten a better deal and was very happy to be annoyed about moving forward with Bell as his feature back for his young stud QB.

• Upvote 1

If anything Gase was frustrated not with the price, but with Mac negotiating against himself.  There were no other suitors for Bell at our price and we likely could have saved money.  On top of that, Mac has a history of negotiating against himself, - see Fitzpatrick holdout and contract.

There is no way that Gase doesnt "like having Leveon Bell" on his team.  I thinks Jet fans we are accustomed to negativity, but sitting out a season, doesnt change the fact that Bell was the best RB in football the season prior.  He is an elite player that also brings versatility to our offense.  Gase is thrilled to have him here.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the team wins all these guys will be chums, of they lose then they will be at each others throats.  Same with whoever our gm is and gase.  Win and it will be happy time, don;t win over say two years and they will be trying to get rid of each other.

Really?  We havent won in a while, which players have been at war with Bowles?  Rex?  Mangini?  

Which HC was at the throat which GM?  Gase maybe wanted Macc out?  Dont hold it to the Jets, we're not the only team in the NFL who hasnt won.  How often does any of this play out?

Its overstated.  

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

If anything Gase was frustrated not with the price, but with Mac negotiating against himself.  There were no other suitors for Bell at our price and we likely could have saved money.  On top of that, Mac has a history of negotiating against himself, - see Fitzpatrick holdout and contract.

There is no way that Gase doesnt "like having Leveon Bell" on his team.  I thinks Jet fans we are accustomed to negativity, but sitting out a season, doesnt change the fact that Bell was the best RB in football the season prior.  He is an elite player that also brings versatility to our offense.  Gase is thrilled to have him here.

Jets game Bell an offer and never upped it.  No one negotiated against himself.  Bell signed for 20 mil less that Pitt offered a year or so earlier. 

I think Gase was afraid the price would be near the 100 mil Bell hinted at a year ago.  Bet hes not bitching over the actual price tag

Just my opinion I don't know these guys but based on what I've seen they both have issues. Look I could be wrong.  I saw Bell interviewed for the first time a few days ago and I could see over the course of a season someone like him getting under people's skin. But imo he's a good player and a great component to an offense led by a young Qb. He can bail out Darnold who will still make mistakes. He's a player who can keep the offense on the field. And he's young and well rested. So I don't know if this will work out off the field but on the field it should. 

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  We havent won in a while, which players have been at war with Bowles?  Rex?  Mangini?  

Which HC was at the throat which GM?  Gase maybe wanted Macc out?  Dont hold it to the Jets, we're not the only team in the NFL who hasnt won.  How often does any of this play out?

Its overstated.  

Who said we were the only team this applies to?

This applies to every team in the league.

Team hated coughlin were ready to rebel then they started winning.

Rex and idzik never meshed,

Gase partially deep sixed mac.

Pit players never had an issue when they were winning, when they started going down hill guys like brown and bell had issues.

Re the coach and gm thing, the jets org structure is set up perfectly for problems between the coach and the gm.  They are on the same level and report separately to the owner.

Le'Veon Bell is the best free, aka "fraud," agency decision this team has made since Kevin Mawae.

He is a phenomenal offensive football player that I have enjoyed watching since his days at Michigan State.

The Jets are miles better with him, and Gase knows it...

• Upvote 1

I just looked it up. Bell has no arrests that I could find other than marijuana possession in 2014. And that is rumored to be decriminalized in the future for the NFL. It should considering the pain players deal with. So he's not a thug. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

As long as the thug acts like an adult and a professional we'll have no problems. I really like Adam Gase. I really hope Bell makes magic happen. Le'Veon is 27 years old now so hopefully he's grown up and knows the right thing to do

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I just looked it up. Bell has no arrests that I could find other than marijuana possession in 2014. And that is rumored to be decriminalized in the future for the NFL. It should considering the pain players deal with. So he's not a thug

So which one we rolling with? Thug or no thug?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Who said we were the only team this applies to?

This applies to every team in the league.

Team hated coughlin were ready to rebel then they started winning.

Rex and idzik never meshed,

Gase partially deep sixed mac.

Pit players never had an issue when they were winning, when they started going down hill guys like brown and bell had issues.

Re the coach and gm thing, the jets org structure is set up perfectly for problems between the coach and the gm.  They are on the same level and report separately to the owner.

No one rebelled against coughlin. 

We don't know what went on with Rex and Idzik, also they never won, not even in the short time to test the theory. 

You have no idea what degree of deep sixing went on here with Macc.  

The whole both talk to the owner nonsense is just that.  This idea that Couglin could cry to Mara and Reese couldn't do the same under another set up it as comical as thinking they don't talk to their owner.  

4 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

As long as the thug acts like an adult and a professional we'll have no problems. I really like Adam Gase. I really hope Bell makes magic happen. Le'Veon is 27 years old now so hopefully he's grown up and knows the right thing to do

Was John Riggins a thug when he held out for a year? Something tells me you wouldn't use the word thug for Riggins....

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I just looked it up. Bell has no arrests that I could find other than marijuana possession in 2014. And that is rumored to be decriminalized in the future for the NFL. It should considering the pain players deal with. So he's not a thug. 

9 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

So which one we rolling with? Thug or no thug?

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was John Riggins a thug when he held out for a year? Something tells me you wouldn't use the word thug for Riggins....

You know who's the right man for the job to sort this out? 

@nycdan

I do think JoJo and Rangers9 provide valid points here. Let me provide an example. Bell conducts business, and because he holds out he's considered a thug. Meanwhile,Chad Kelly has an arrest record going back to high school, his latest arrest is breaking into a family's home and chills out on the couch next to a mother and child as if it's his house while being pissy drunk and clearly out of his mind which ultimately ends up in a physical altercation with the man of the house chasing Chad out of his home. That's considered Felony criminal trespassing. We get a thread on Chad Kelly and you know what was never said about him being? No one called him a thug for what was clearly thug-like activity. But it wouldnt be a huge deal if it was just an isolated incident. But his latest felony is probably his least violent incident.

What about past criminal thug activities such as fighting bouncers and other security at a local Buffalo bar that he and his friends where thrown out of? An incident by the way in which Chad told the bouncers "Im going to walk to my car, get my AK-47 and spray this place", which is a terroristic threat by the way. And of course when police arrive he resists arrest, which luckily but unsurprising to no one, it didnt end with him being shot to death in the street for resisting arrest after making terroristic threats.  Or how about his violent thug-like activity of participating in a high school football brawl as an adult onlooker? Keep in mind, Kelly isnt a high school student at this time, he's the QB for Ole'Miss and he's at his brother's highschool game. In otherwords, he's a grown ass man jumping on the field to fight high school kids because his brother was pushed while already out of bounds. 

How about Mo Wilkerson? I made a thread regarding his arrest for DWI (Not breaking into peoples homes or demonstrating any form of criminal violence). 

You know what he's called? A thug, ironically by the same person. 

I think folks would look at both Wilkerson and Bell and try to figure out #1. what have they both done, or #2. what are their similar connections that would consider them thugs? Folks in this thread disagreed with calling Bell a thug for simply being a businessman and having no history of being a thug. However, there should be no problem figuring out why Chad Kelly is a thug given his thug activities (plural)...yet weirdly he isnt called one. 

Maybe we should figure out what "thug" means to the individuals using the term, because it seems like the word is being used differently than what its definition states. 

I know that Dan will make sure that individuals keep it classy on this forum if out of line since it shouldnt be tolerated to associate folks as criminals or of a criminal nature unless such bywords are clearly warranted. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Well since I was summoned...

thug
/THəɡ/
noun
noun: thug; plural noun: thugs; noun: Thug
  1. 1.
    a violent person, especially a criminal.
    "he was attacked by a gang of thugs"
    synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; More
    informaltough, bruiser, hired gun;
    informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie;
    informalned;
    informalhood, goon;
    informalroughie, hoon;
    datedcutthroat, desperado;
    raremyrmidon
  2. 2.
    historical
    a member of a religious organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travelers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

Unless Bell is secretly worshipping the goddess Kali in his locker before games, I'd go with 'not thug'. Personally I have run the full circle of not wanting Bell to wanting Bell a few times over.  Now that he's here, I'm excited to see if he can be similar to the player he was in PIT.  If he puts out the effort and makes the team better, I'll come around quickly.  Heck, I went from despising Bryan Cox to being a huge fan in about 1 game here.

While I am not a fan of players sitting out over what seems to me to be nickels on top of a pile of gold coins, I find myself having to check my bias and recognize that it's entirely their choice.  Revis has as many arrests and holdouts as Bell.  I was annoyed and thought he was an idiot, but objectively, that's pretty much where it should have ended for me.  

As to Villain's point, all I'd ask of everyone, including myself, is that if anyone points out that you may be applying labels differently to players, or people in general, take a moment to consider if there might be something to it before jumping in and escalating.  We all have biases, but that doesn't mean we have to show them all the time.  This board will be a happier place as a result.