NYJ working out Bilal Powell

We have two young guys in Cannon and McGuire so I don’t love the move but honestly who cares. Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Cannon is a deep and versatile group of players and special teamers. Gotta assume McGuire is the odd man out since Cannon is an excellent gunner.

• Upvote 3

Just now, kdels62 said:

We have two young guys in Cannon and McGuire so I don’t love the move but honestly who cares. Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Cannon is a deep and versatile group of players and special teamers. Gotta assume McGuire is the odd man out since Cannon is an excellent gunner.

cannon is horrible

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bilal Powell is a way better option than Trenton Cannon. 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

cannon is horrible

This is where I'm at.

I actually think McGuire is a decent back and is a pretty effective pass catcher.

Bell, Ty, McGuire and Powell?

Sign me up and maybe Dortch or one of the other fast little guys becomes the KR/PR.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

cannon is horrible

Not on special teams. Plus he’s got different speed. For a guy who’s undersized he has more power on inside runs than McGuire and he beat a few guys downfield. Give him a shot to develop and it could be good news for the long term.

• Upvote 1

Football teams are supposed to draft RBs so they don’t have to pay old ones $1mm+ per year.  

This is why Mac does not have a job-the Jets have to recycle veteran guys like Powell who have injury/durability issues rather than use lower priced younger draft picks.  

I like Powell, but this is sad. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

That’s really cool of Gase to do. Powell was a solid player who gave his all for this team. This is a classy, underrated gesture that will play well with the veterans in the room. 

Was thinking the same thing. Personally I hope they sign him, I am tired of watching Cannon drop balls. But either way it helps Powell out because it gets his name out there.

• Upvote 3

I also wonder if working out Powell says something of how they view Montgomery.  If htey see him as more of a receiver than a runner, it would create a need for a proven guy who can run the ball as insurance if Mcguire can't prove that he can be a solid #2 in camp.

30 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Not on special teams. Plus he’s got different speed. For a guy who’s undersized he has more power on inside runs than McGuire and he beat a few guys downfield. Give him a shot to develop and it could be good news for the long term.

He was a liability on Special Teams.  Not sure what you saw but he was awful.

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

I also wonder if working out Powell says something of how they view Montgomery.  If htey see him as more of a receiver than a runner, it would create a need for a proven guy who can run the ball as insurance if Mcguire can't prove that he can be a solid #2 in camp.

This or maybe Cannon (or McGuire) aren't showing enough for the new coaching staff