Jump to content
Ohhthepain

NYJ working out Bilal Powell

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is he the best available RB and is RB a need position for camp?

If yes and yes, ok, sign him.

If no to either, sorry, no nostalgia signings.

Just business.

EDIT:  Tom's take IS an interesting one tho, admittedly.

He did have a few good games against Gase especially receiving. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is he the best available RB and is RB a need position for camp?

If yes and yes, ok, sign him.

If no to either, sorry, no nostalgia signings.

Just business.

EDIT:  Tom's take IS an interesting one tho, admittedly.

Frosty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Was thinking the same thing. Personally I hope they sign him, I am tired of watching Cannon drop balls. But either way it helps Powell out because it gets his name out there.

I'd imagine the way this works is that they bring him in, run him through a few drills, update his medicals, and then tell him to "stay ready" in case they lose a back in camp. He gets to keep his name out there and hang out with his pals for a day, then wait by the phone for a few months. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Was thinking the same thing. Personally I hope they sign him, I am tired of watching Cannon drop balls. But either way it helps Powell out because it gets his name out there.

I don't get the hate for Cannon by many in this thread. He was a 6th round pick from a small school who gives the Jets some flexibility on special teams (PR/KR and kick coverage). 

Powell is clearly the better pure RB, but Bell will be the every down back and Montgomery/Mcguire can fill in when Bell  needs a breather. So Powell seems more redundant than a guy like Cannon. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully his health is good, but Bilal can play on my team any day.  A true professional, hard worker, team first and the kind of guy you want in your locker room.  It will also be nice to have an adult in the RB meeting room.   Every winning organization needs guys like Powell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Powell is clearly the better pure RB, but Bell will be the every down back and Montgomery/Mcguire can fill in when Bell  needs a breather. So Powell seems more redundant than a guy like Cannon. 

A. Camp Body to reduce abuse of Bell.

B. Powell could be better than McGuire at whatever limited role Gase has planned for his #3 TB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the greatest player ever, but he always plays hard and has always been a really good NY Jet. I would like to see him re-sign with us and eventually retire from the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been a big Powell fan, and when healthy he was always a great asset for the Jets.  Unfortunately, health has been an increasing issue over the years, with last year clearly being the worst yet.  I certainly wouldn't be opposed to him coming back, but I would just really hope that it would be in the best interest of both the Jets and Powell for such a move to happen, which is far from a certainty.

That said, he is unquestionably a far better player than either McGuire or Cannon.  While McGuire seems to get some solid support around here, the truth is we all got caught up in his one big game to start his career vs JAX, but since then he's been unbelievably mediocre for the Jets.  Consider that in every game that he's started over these past 2 years, every single one of them he's averaged under 3 YPC.  Even with the Jets' questionable OL, that's absolutely awful and excessively worse than any of the other Jets RBs did behind those lines, including the likes of an ancient Matt Forte.  Even when working as a change-of-pace, he's barely averaged just over 3.

Cannon on the other hand, so far has seemed to be more of a gimmick player/specialist than real RB.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If healthy love to see him return. But I like all of the Jets RBs incl Cannon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I hope they sign him on a low cost deal and let him compete for a spot in training camp...

That would be ideal. Let's see what, if anything, he has left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcat said:

cannon is horrible

I would welcome Powell back.  Just for the record, Bilal did NOTHING his first year with the Jets and became a steady contributor.  I can't see how anyone can say Canon is horrible since he contributed more in his first year than Bilal did.  That's not a knock on Powell rather a knock on how Canon (and McGuire for that matter) are being judged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dcat said:

He was a liability on Special Teams.  Not sure what you saw but he was awful.

No way... he was downfield fast and made solid tackles on ST. He has more upside and the 4th running back should be upside and special teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Eh. I think it's time to move on. Let the other RB's have a shot.

Then let them beat him out in traiining camp and/or preseason (if he is signed).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know its a business but I honestly feel Powell has earned one last shot here. Good player and by all accounts a good guy. I just hope he is not risking his long term health after the neck injury.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Was thinking the same thing. Personally I hope they sign him, I am tired of watching Cannon drop balls. But either way it helps Powell out because it gets his name out there.

Your balls are dropping, too?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As worthy of a roster bubble spot as any other street FA camp fodder who'd have gotten the 90th slot.

Good blocker and good receiver where the play selections don't need to suddenly change in a predictable way if/when Bell needs to sit out a down or series or more.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see Powell back if his neck is good to go. Good hands and good teammate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s really cool of Gase to do. Powell was a solid player who gave his all for this team. This is a classy, underrated gesture that will play well with the veterans in the room. 

This post confuses me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

No way... he was downfield fast and made solid tackles on ST. He has more upside and the 4th running back should be upside and special teams.

You don’t keep an undersized RB with bad hands on the roster because he can run down the field on special teams.  Bad teams, with bad rosters do that.  The WR group should have plenty of those guys anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dcat said:

cannon is horrible

If used in certain situations, I'd keep Cannon over McGuire any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Guy is a jag

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

No he isn't. He's actually a talented and effective RB who blocks and catches well. He's not going to be a dominant Adrienne Peterson type of player, but he's certainly worth giving a last shot. 

You're a Jag.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You don’t keep an undersized RB with bad hands on the roster because he can run down the field on special teams.  Bad teams, with bad rosters do that.  The WR group should have plenty of those guys anyway.  

I don’t see the advantage of dropping the special teams guy for a 4th running back with the same skill set as the other 3 guys ahead of him. If we keep 4 guys Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Cannon is a more practical group than the top 3 plus McGuire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdels62 said:

I don’t see the advantage of dropping the special teams guy for a 4th running back with the same skill set as the other 3 guys ahead of him. If we keep 4 guys Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Cannon is a more practical group than the top 3 plus McGuire. 

Why waste a roster spot on him at all then?  What skill set as a RB does Cannon actually posses?   He’s built like a small WR and has questionable hands at best.  I really don’t see a need for him on the 53 man.  Henderson would be a better option as the 4th back right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lith said:

 

In other words, he had a horrible workout and both sides are not talking. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t see the advantage of dropping the special teams guy for a 4th running back with the same skill set as the other 3 guys ahead of him. If we keep 4 guys Bell, Montgomery, Powell, Cannon is a more practical group than the top 3 plus McGuire. 

In theory, i agree with you. Some of cannon's value would be as a kick returner. Problem is, he has fumbleitis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Powell has always been an ideal #2. He does everything well and can pop one every once in awhile.

I think you're definitely going to see 4 RBs on this team before it's out.

Bell

Powell?

Montgomery 

McGuire

I think Cannon loses out and that's a solid depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Why waste a roster spot on him at all then?  What skill set as a RB does Cannon actually posses?   He’s built like a small WR and has questionable hands at best.  I really don’t see a need for him on the 53 man.  Henderson would be a better option as the 4th back right now.  

Because Cannon was 2nd on our team in special teams tackles and that’s more valuable than a fourth RB that will only play if there are a bunch of injuries. Potential plus proven special teams value is more important for RB4 than guy who might be a change of pace back after 4 injuries.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because Cannon was 2nd on our team in special teams tackles and that’s more valuable than a fourth RB that will only play if there are a bunch of injuries. Potential plus proven special teams value is more important for RB4 than guy who might be a change of pace back after 4 injuries.

Ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...