Texans fire GM

All I know is that it’s extremely interesting that it just happens to be the Texans who fired their GM. There is not one other team that I would fear losing Douglas to more than them after they tried to get him earlier this year.
It seems to me that they most likely did this with Douglas in mind.

Problem is we did the same thing and had three weeks to get it done but couldn’t. If we lose him now it’s 100% our own damn fault. And that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not a commentary on roster vs roster, but if avoiding a dumpster fire is a factor in any GMs decision process, the Texans last 2 years front office wise certainly can't be appealing to candidates

Yup..fine, let Douglas go to Houston if he wants.

Everyone will soon see that the Jets are going to be pretty much a “turn-key” operation, no matter who the GM is, no matter how many of the black sheep children of J&J make mistakes running it....because they LUCKE into THE QB, who will make ANYONE outside of Bowles look smart.

Even last year, Darnold “Here Bowles take these 4 extra wins, here right on a silver platter”.

Bowles “No”.

4 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yup..fine, let Douglas go to Houston if he wants.

Everyone will soon see that the Jets are going to be pretty much a “turn-key” operation, no matter who the GM is, no matter how many of the black sheep children of J&J make mistakes running it....because they LUCKE into THE QB, who will make ANYONE outside of Bowles look smart.

Even last year, Darnold “Here Bowles take these 4 extra wins, here right on a silver platter”.

Bowles “No”.

An uncomfortable fact is the league isn’t as high on Darnold as the Jets fanbase is.

*man your battle stations*

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

So let me get this straight.  One of the confirmed reasons for CJ firing Mac was Mac's persistent indecisiveness.  So now, we possibly/probably lose Douglas because our surrogate owner is too indecisive to lock it down.

J-E-T-S-Y JETSY! JETSY! JETSY!

Right?  My hope is CJ cut the crap the min he heard about the Texans and said "Ok man, get the hell over here. We will meet your demands and thrown in a VitaMix for the wife" 

57 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

All I know is that it’s extremely interesting that it just happens to be the Texans who fired their GM. There is not one other team that I would fear losing Douglas to more than them after they tried to get him earlier this year.
It seems to me that they most likely did this with Douglas in mind.

Problem is we did the same thing and had three weeks to get it done but couldn’t. If we lose him now it’s 100% our own damn fault. And that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You'd think they might have done it sooner, like when we canned Maac and Douglas was mentioned as the front runner.

• Upvote 2

Where's the national outcry and dysfunctional rants now that HOU has
let their GM go???  They are going to look for someone with NE roots
because "Emperor" O'Brien won his power struggle

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Circus... Only incompetent franchises fire their gm after the draft and before the season starts... ??

No. Incompetent franchises get the GM they wanted stolen out from underneath them by a team 3 weeks behind them, because they can't make decisions. 

• Thumb Down 2

People need to realize the old patterns of behavior in the NFL
are disappearing.  You NEVER had the following a few years ago:

- GM's being fired after the draft
- College spread offense principles being run through out the league
- Six foot QB's being drafted #1

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

An uncomfortable fact is the league isn’t as high on Darnold as the Jets fanbase is.

JJ Watt told him after he almost single-handedly took down Houston’s top ranked Defense “you’re going to be a great Pro”.

I’ll defer to Watt’s “expertise” in making that determination, knows much more than I do.

But what I will say is that I’ve already seen Darnold make certain throws I’ve never seen any Jet QB make, that includes Joe Namath.

The type of throws this kid can make totally transcends looking at some completion % stat or whatnot....and only 22 years old...Sky is the limit.

And if you want to look at numbers, Darnold has been trending way up, finishing off the last quarter of the season as the Top Rated QB in the entire league.  I can’t remember any Jet QB putting 4 straight games together like that.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

So a team fired its GM even later than the Jets??

What a “dysfunctional laughing stock circus” the Texans are! Do they know that they are about to get murdered by the sports media 24 hours a day, for the next four weeks on every channel?

I mean that’s what needs to happen when you fire your GM in the spring, right? 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

426705340_Screenshot_20190608-0230282.thumb.png.56fc081da55bd4889eeb8f9cd44e3910.png

You gotta stop with the "world is ending" overreacting homie, it's bad for your health.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

JJ Watt told him after he almost single-handedly took down Houston’s top ranked Defense “you’re going to be a great Pro”.

I’ll defer to Watt’s “expertise” in making that determination, knows much more than I do.

But what I will say is that I’ve already seen Darnold make certain throws I’ve never seen any Jet QB make, that includes Joe Namath.

The type of throws this kid can make totally transcends looking at some completion % stat or whatnot....and only 22 years old...Sky is the limit.

And if you want to look at numbers, Darnold has been trending way up, finishing off the last quarter of the season as the Top Rated QB in the entire league.  I can’t remember any Jet QB putting 4 straight games together like that.

I’m a season ticket holder so I don’t get to watch many other teams play often, but I will say Watson was unimpressive the one game I saw him live. He’s put up historic numbers his first two years in the league, but after watching that game I wondered what his numbers would look like without Hopkins. Literally the only good plays he made were bombs to Hopkins who  made some unreal catches. 

10 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I’m a season ticket holder so I don’t get to watch many other teams play often, but I will say Watson was unimpressive the one game I saw him live. He’s put up historic numbers his first two years in the league, but after watching that game I wondered what his numbers would look like without Hopkins. Literally the only good plays he made were bombs to Hopkins who  made some unreal catches. 

Agreed, the league are adjusting to him. He’s not a in the same league/tier as Patrick Mahomes. He’s a mobile QB, but he’s got very average passing skills.

I’d love a receiver like Hopkins, with Darnold. I think we about to see the end of drafting Defensive tackles with our 1st round picks.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I’ll take Darnold over Watson all day every day.

I just don’t see Houston ever making a deep run with him.  Not saying he’s not good, just that he’s not special in the way Mahomes is and how Darnold will soon be.

The Giants massive mistake on passing on Darnold will be revisited over and over as their QB of the future Jones shows himself as a cross between Dave Brown and Scott Brunner.

Thats the single and only good thing I can say came from 4 years of awful management, terrible coaching and boring football under Maccagnan and Bowles is that without them the Jets would never have been in position to draft their savior.

Good to see the hand-wringing, sky-is-falling brigade are alive and well in this thread. :rolleyes:

The interesting fact with Houston is that Gaine was (reportedly) hand-picked by Bill O'Brien only 18 months ago. So this outdoes the Jets "circus" in my mind ... it'd be more akin to Douglas getting fired by us after the 2020 season.

Got to wonder if their mismanagement of the draft was the last straw, seeing the guy they wanted taken 1 pick ahead of them then reaching big-time for a position of need.