The Jets two biggest concerns on defense

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Joe Douglas’s first move should be trying to shore up the CB position the best he can before in such short time.

6 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Or Center or both

Don’t believe there is much talent left out there on the open market. Priority 1 should be signing the remaining draft picks. 2 should be looking at possible trades followed by evaluating upcoming cuts by other teams. Do all this while building his staff.

A 3-4 NT?  Really?

We have Mclendon and just drafted Quinnen Williams and you think one of our biggest needs is a NT?  I love Snacks, but the league is moving in a different direction and we happened to draft the ideal 2019+ interior NT/DT

As for CB, yes Clairborne would be good to bring back as we dont have a lot of depth, but its partially just due to not having "big names".  Roberts played very well when he was the #2 CB last season and the team clearly agreed with the tape giving him the contract that he got.  Derrick Jones is a guy who is very risky to trot out as a #4 CB behind Poole, but that is only because Bowles refused to play him, even after we were eliminated and Skrine had proven worthless.  Jones has elite size and speed but didnt have a lot of experience as a CB, given that he started as a WR in college.  He played excellent in TC last year and pretty well in week 17 - enough to get a shot to actually play this season.

4 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Don’t believe there is much talent left out there on the open market. Priority 1 should be signing the remaining draft picks. 2 should be looking at possible trades followed by evaluating upcoming cuts by other teams. Do all this while building his staff.

Chris Harris Jr and Darius Slay could be options 

14 hours ago, jeTMAC said:

#2 corner and a true 34 NT to clog the middle. Q Williams better be able to take my mind off snacks 

We are more than fine with QW and McClendon

We have nothing at corner.  Getting rid of Skrine is addition by subtraction but Trumaine Johnson couldn’t stop me

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

The two biggest areas of concern on defense are still CB and EDGE...by far.

We have Quinnen and McLendon at the nose. Not remotely worried there. Gregg Williams has always favored interior DL who get penetration over 340 lb guys who eat up blocks.

We really need Polite to have a good rookie year

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

We really need Polite to have a good rookie year

We do

And as a situational passrusher, I could see him having something like 5-7 sacks as a rookie.

But he needs to show that he’s capable of playing in that 240-245 range. If he can never be remotely effective unless he’s playing in the 230’s, then we’ll probably just have another Aaron Maybin on our hands. A guy who is all burst and sports a pretty nice spin move, but will get engulfed and wiped out repeatedly.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, jeTMAC said:

#2 corner and a true 34 NT to clog the middle. Q Williams better be able to take my mind off snacks 

Defense will now be put on hold for a few years.. now that we FINALLY have a gm who cares about the oline and O

My biggest concern for the D is probably a man coverage CB that doesnt draw effing penalties. A Revis ver2.0 would be sweet, but even half that talent would suffice.

2nd, the D has to be able to rest. This means the offense MUST have sustained drives so they dont get burnt out. (and score TDs not FGs)

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

We do

And as a situational passrusher, I could see him having something like 5-7 sacks as a rookie.

But he needs to show that he’s capable of playing in that 240-245 range. If he can never be remotely effective unless he’s playing in the 230’s, then we’ll probably just have another Aaron Maybin on our hands. A guy who is all burst and sports a pretty nice spin move, but will get engulfed and wiped out repeatedly.

The thing about guys like Maybin and Arden Key is that they are 235 but 6'4 or 6'4.  Polite is under 6'3 so he even at 235 he would be more stout then those guys.

That being said, he was apparently 235 in college and 257 at the combine (257 being a disaster obviously).  With some dedication and NFL nutrition, he should be able to be about 240-45 which would be more then heavy enough to be an every down OLB in the right scheme.  I dont see him "bulking up" and playing over 255, that rarely works for guys and you dont want him to lose his explosion.

Im hopeful that the risk pays off and we finally found an edge rusher.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:15 PM, BCJet said:

The thing about guys like Maybin and Arden Key is that they are 235 but 6'4 or 6'4.  Polite is under 6'3 so he even at 235 he would be more stout then those guys.

That being said, he was apparently 235 in college and 257 at the combine (257 being a disaster obviously).  With some dedication and NFL nutrition, he should be able to be about 240-45 which would be more then heavy enough to be an every down OLB in the right scheme.  I dont see him "bulking up" and playing over 255, that rarely works for guys and you dont want him to lose his explosion.

Im hopeful that the risk pays off and we finally found an edge rusher.

It isn’t just all about size.  Polite has several pass rush moves

they need a corner but at the same time a lot of the recent issues were due to players being out of position.  get roberts and johnson understanding their defensive assignments and things will look a lot better.  get a good pass rush and the corners will look a lot better.

Cornerback I could see us getting somebody considered washed up or maybe falls through waivers.  But center, just don't know how they would swing that in case it was an older OL we signed with previous experience at that position.  You're going to give up a decent pick for anybody of value.