It’s Official Douglas Jets GM: MERGED

1. EAGLES

Did Eagles’ Joe Douglas actually even WANT the Jets GM job? It apparently took A LOT of convincing

Today 6:40 AM
Jets owner Christopher Johnson REALLY wanted to hire Eagles' Joe Douglas as general manager.

John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Jets owner Christopher Johnson REALLY wanted to hire Eagles' Joe Douglas as general manager. 

By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Even as the Jets were pushing to hire Joe Douglas as their next general manager — he was their No. 1 priority — the Eagles’ vice president of player personnel continued to show up for work at NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia. He was seen at the practice facility — and on the field — during the practices open to the media.

Douglas was fond of the Eagles and the organization, and if the Jets opportunity didn’t work out, he would’ve been fine. There would be more opportunities down the line, a new one even opening on Friday when the Texans fired their general manager.

Even as weeks passed with no news, the Jets always wanted Douglas. Like, really wanted him.

Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Douglas rebuffed their overtures on more than one occasion. Friday, they finally got him, but it apparently took a lot of work.

Remember: The Jets were tied to Douglas since before the NFL Draft, when Maccagnan was still employed.

“Jets just would not take “no” as an answer from Joe Douglas,” Schefter tweeted. “He tried to turn down the Jets and each time he did, they came back at him harder and harder. Jets simply were not going to be denied in their efforts to land the former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel.”

Simply were not going to be denied.

That is likely hyperbolic. The reality — there are only 32 general manager jobs, and there’s no guarantee Douglas would find what he desired in another franchise.

If Douglas figured out how badly the Jets wanted him, it seems possible — if not likely — he was rebuffing their attempts to reel him in as a negotiation tactic.

Clearly, it worked — per Schefter, Douglas was granted full personnel control and signed to a six-year contract as the Jets’ general manager.

It’s a well-deserved — and much-needed — commitment from a volatile organization that has been battling speculation that coach Adam Gase usurped the previous GM — Mike Maccagnan — and forced him out of the front office ... even after Maccagnan conducted an entire offseason spending spree and ran the Jets’ draft in April. He signed Le’Veon Bell and C.J. Mosley to record-setting deals, and then was fired anyway.

It was a strange offseason for owner Chrisopher Johnson, to say the least.

Ultimately, the Jets got their man and Douglas (finally) secured a much-deserved promotion to general manager.

The Eagles and executive Howie Roseman will miss him.

The Jets will be ecstatic that they got him.

They tried hard enough, after all.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If Douglas figured out how badly the Jets wanted him, it seems possible — if not likely — he was rebuffing their attempts to reel him in as a negotiation tactic.

A regular Hercule Poirot here

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets will be ecstatic that they got him.

They tried hard enough, after all.

When you’re Hercule Poirot and Albert Camus in one person, but stuck working for something called “NJ Advance Media.”

I don’t understand why Douglas going back to work for the eagles after his interview was a narrative.  Do people normal quit their job as soon as they’ve secured an interview?  That’s not how I’ve done it...  Seems like a good way to have no job.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, genot said:

He only was aware of this dysfunction after Gase got his ear. If that's true CJ was a big part of the dysfunction. I really want to look foward now. Makes no sense to look back at how things went down. I'll say this for the last time. I have a real problem with someone who hasn't earned the right to throw his weight around, being allowed to do just that.

The bold contradicts what he told the press.  CJ was aware but indecisive and insecure. Felt that he couldn't handle a search for both GM & HC all alone.  THat was a while ago.  You must have missed it.  I'm sure Gase paved the way... but the awareness had begun well before Gase came on board.

• Upvote 1

A positive article from Florio??

Jets get it right with Joe Douglas

Mike Florio8 mins ago
The Jets invited plenty of criticism for firing G.M. Mike Maccagnan after the draft. The Jets deserve praise now for hiring Joe Douglas to become the new General Manager.

While there possibly would be a better candidate out there somewhere (the Jets interviewed only four), Jets CEO Christopher Johnson apparently realized the importance of hiring someone with whom coach Adam Gase will be comfortable.

If Johnson had targeted the “best person for the job” without regard to whether that person would happily work with Gase, Johnson would have been setting the stage for more dysfunction, because the “best person for the job” would have arrived with a short wish list of coaches — and Gase likely wouldn’t have been on it.

That’s always the problem with firing the G.M. and keeping the coach. The new G.M. will want to hire his own coach, at the first legitimate opportunity. And the G.M. will be inclined to stay close to the owner, especially on game days, pointing out in subtle or not-so-subtle fashion the flaws in the coach’s decision-making and overall job performance.

It’s far better to have everyone on the same page, and Douglas and Gase will be on the same page. They’ll succeed together, or they’ll fail together. And, ideally, when owner Woody Johnson returns from his government job in the UK and takes control of the team again, he’ll be inclined to stay the course because the Jets by then will be winning on a consistent basis.

With a young franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold, that’s not so far fetched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

Sexton represents Douglas, Gase, Darnold.   It was certainly to his best intrest for Douglas to go to the Jets.

Texans got suckered on this.  For once it wasn't the Jets 

Hip, Hip, Hooray.  :)

Someone should let the Texans know Macc is available to interview for their GM opening. 

• Haha 1

WATCH: Sam Darnold reacts to Jets’ Joe Douglas hire

Today 10:59 AM
Sam Darnold reacts to Jets hiring Eagles’ Joe Douglas as GM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

BROOKVILLE, N.Y. – It’s been a busy week for the Jets. First mandatory minicamp. Then a new general manager.

Quarterback Sam Darnold followed that up by running a youth football came with local kids at LIU Post on Saturday morning.

But the 22-year-old quarterback took some time to discuss the Jets’ franchise-altering decision and his first impressions of new GM Joe Douglas.

Watch Darnold walk through his initial impressions of Douglas in the video above, then read his comments about the hire here.

Re: Douglas, his salary and his desire for the Jets job:

From Connor Hughes article on the Athletic - a writer who's sources I trust more than others....

Something to make clear here: Douglas wanted the Jets as much as the Jets wanted Douglas. This isn’t a job he backed into. But Douglas also knew his worth. He’s one of the most sought-after candidates out there. If the Jets didn’t give him what he wanted, a team next year would. So he stuck to his guns. He turned down several of the Jets’ contract offers, but he did not turn down the job. There’s a big difference there. Eventually, the sides came to terms on a six-year deal.

Here's the link....pay your $60 to read the rest...

https://theathletic.com/1017196/2019/06/07/the-jets-get-their-guy-joe-douglas-officially-hired-as-teams-next-gm/?source=weeklyemail

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The bold contradicts what he told the press.  CJ was aware but indecisive and insecure. Felt that he couldn't handle a search for both GM & HC all alone.  THat was a while ago.  You must have missed it.  I'm sure Gase paved the way... but the awareness had begun well before Gase came on board.

This part bothered me when CJ said that. If the organization had a traditional power structure, he would have just needed to worry about getting the GM and let the GM hire the coach.

What's done is done and it seems to have worked out for now. Time and wins will tell

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

"In other words", he still would've drafted Mr. Quinnen Williams with the third overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.  Well done...

NO he would have traded back because we need numerous players to restock the talent in this sheet roster. That was the move that needed to be made. And it is a surprise that Macc was FIRED right after his selections in the draft? It’s like getting divorced after the honeymoon. No coincidence.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Did Eagles’ Joe Douglas actually even WANT the Jets GM job? It apparently took A LOT of convincing

Lousy headline, until you realize that the article is written by an Eagle writer and is from Philly perspective.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

One thing I haven’t seen emphasized...this is the drawing power of having a young (perceived) franchise QB.  This franchise is now galvanized by Sam Darnold. A Young elite leader on offence. 

Fixed

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Re: Douglas, his salary and his desire for the Jets job:

From Connor Hughes article on the Athletic - a writer who's sources I trust more than others....

Here's the link....pay your $60 to read the rest...

https://theathletic.com/1017196/2019/06/07/the-jets-get-their-guy-joe-douglas-officially-hired-as-teams-next-gm/?source=weeklyemail

Thanks for posting. Clears up some of the comments made by some writers last night

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I really like the fact that Douglas royally busted Chris Johnson's balls in this process.  He got 6 years when the Jets insisted on 4.  His average annual salary is 75% more than the Jets initially offered him.  He pounded his fist on the table for budgetary promises for his recruiting and scouting staff and, if reports are correct, got what he wanted.

He is no pussy.  He is most certainly NOT a Gase puppet, but rather someone who has succesfully worked with him in the past with a positive bond.  I'm liking what I see.

Of the 10 AFC bottom-feeding non-playoff teams for the past few years, the New York Jets currently sit at the top of that pile from a standpoint of roster, front office, coaching, and ownership.

It’s exactly where we need to be so that we are the one team in the AFC ready to take charge of the Division and the Conference once B&B are gone. 

And if you think about where we were two years ago, with the Dolphins and Bills looking resurgent, and the Jets looking completely lost, it is a testament to the ability of our owner, Christopher Johnson, for getting us where we are today. 

C-H-I-S   Chis! Chis! Chis!

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Of the 10 AFC bottom-feeding non-playoff teams for the past few years, the New York Jets currently sit at the top of that pile from a standpoint of roster, front office, coaching, and ownership.
It’s exactly where we need to be so that we are the one team in the AFC ready to take charge of the Division and the Conference once B&B are gone. 
And if you think about where we were two years ago, with the Dolphins and Bills looking resurgent, and the Jets looking completely lost, it is a testament to the ability of our owner, Christopher Johnson, for getting us where we are today. 
SAR I

Payched where we are & that we locked Douglass up ... but think I’d put Cleveland atop the scrap heap to the hype heap teams

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, David Harris said:

This will make the $8 hot dogs easier to swallow knowing the money is paying for a quality organization instead of just yachts for the Johnson bluebloods

According to someone on this board, the hotdogs are 100% beef Hebrew dogs and are worth every penny from the rich man’s pocket. No other hot dog compares to the hotdogs from MetLife. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, ljr said:

Payched where we are & that we locked Douglass up ... but think I’d put Cleveland atop the scrap heap to the hype heap teams

Three words for you that any Jets fan is very familiar with:

Rookie.  Head.  Coach.

Puts Cleveland at a disadvantage despite their theoretical lead in roster talent.

And three more words:

Combustible.  Locker.  Room.

Baker Mayfield, Kareem Hunt, Odell Beckham Jr, Duke Johnson, Jarvis Landry, Olivier Vernon, Sheldon Richardson, LOL.  Look out.  If the Browns open 1-5 (a distinct possibility, check out the schedule) look out, implosion city.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

Well let's see.  He bashed the Jets for not offering up enough money at first, and then buried the lead of the signing by focusing  it on them offering him more money.  So I'd go out on a limb and say his source is on Douglas' side of things (agent maybe?).  I don't think he'll be getting much from the Jets anytime soon.  He had his moment, but the way he went about it may come back to bite him.  There didn't seem to be any reason to go the way he did on this.  Time will tell.

Let's be fair here. The Jets were not just a million off, but 12.2 million. Thankfully the Jets stepped up and got their guy, who is much more  qualified and has already said more about what a NY Jet is than Mac ever did. Mac had no vision or strategy other than take the best person on his board and load up on the DL and defensive middle

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Hey CJ we get it you actually got this one right.  :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ljr said:

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Cleveland got their guy in Dorsey & see what an upgrade he's already made for them in such a short period, Hopefully Douglas will have the Jets flying high from here on out.

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2019 at 10:08 PM, genot said:

He only was aware of this dysfunction after Gase got his ear. If that's true CJ was a big part of the dysfunction. I really want to look foward now. Makes no sense to look back at how things went down. I'll say this for the last time. I have a real problem with someone who hasn't earned the right to throw his weight around, being allowed to do just that.

Well nobody in the Jets' FO above Gase earned it either, other than buying the right to do so with funds they didn't earn.

Earn shmern. Even if he proves to be the wrong hire as a HC he's more qualified to make this call than his employers. Particularly since the current boss admitted he didn't even pay attention to the job his GM was doing until 2019 -- more than a year after granting him an undeserved extension.

In other words Gase pushing for this change is more likely to yield success than using all the accrued Johnson family football knowledge combined.

In still other words I'm not going to bash it until at least next week.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2