It’s Official Douglas Jets GM: MERGED

On 6/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, Lith said:

$20MM deal for a GM.  Johnsons going all in on this guy.  May or may not work out, but I love that they knew who they wanted and went and got him/

If those numbers are to be believed, that's a huge increase in offers from the Jets. These contracts are fully guaranteed. Jets moved from $7.6M to $19.2M? That's crazy, especially for an organization that has rightly been accused of being cheap over the years. That's not a move Woody would make. Chris? Does Adam Gase really already have that much juice in the organization? 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

If those numbers are to be believed, that's a huge increase in offers from the Jets. These contracts are fully guaranteed. Jets moved from $7.6M to $19.2M? That's crazy, especially for an organization that has rightly been accused of being cheap over the years. That's not a move Woody would make. Chris? Does Adam Gase really already have that much juice in the organization? 

I bet this is why Woody was caught using his phone during D-day speeches 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I bet this is why Woody was caught using his phone during D-day speeches 

Can just hear the phone call, "How much did you pay Korn Ferry and Wolf Casserly for advisory services on your last few hires, bro?"

"Why don't we just use that money to get the top guy on the list?"

• Haha 1

As I burn through most of the articles and videos on our very strong move to hire Joe Douglas as our new GM, I am trying to get an early understanding of what types of players we can expect to see coming down the pike. I like the Polite pick and am really looking forward to seeing if he can bring his 1st rd talent to the Jets pass rush. Posters like @JiF have written much about what this player offered on the field as a Florida fan which can be exciting. During the draft there was somewhat of an outcry for Macchiato's to select Winovich in that spot and I can see the two being compared to each other throughout their early careers, at least by us on JN.  So I'm curious to see how the board thinks Joe Douglas would have seen the exact situation with these two players. Would we be more likely to have taken a player like Winovich over Polite if Douglas was at the helm at the time?  And is that closer to the types of players we should expect to see in our future over the talent, yet character issues of Polite's pre draft scenario? 

Winovich 

Unknown.jpg.602f4de669063e36825b2b411ade1461.jpg  Physical edge defender who plays the game like he has zombie blood pumping through his veins. Winovich is relentless, determined and takes no plays off, but his lack of physical traits and explosiveness as a rusher could limit his upside. Scheme fit could determine his role as 4-3 defensive end or 3-4 rush linebacker, but his football character and physicality improve his odds for success as an eventual starter.

Polite 

images.jpg.b00f38c97e61f0812f57add2a0b8000f.jpg  Just one year of big-time production, but he's an instinctive rusher with natural feel for attacking the pocket. Polite's frightening speed to the edge on tape was missing in his pre-draft workouts as he showed up much heavier and with purported hamstring issues during all of his testing. The game tape shows an ability to rush the pocket with a fluid, diverse attack, but he might not have the grit necessary to play the run as a 3-4 outside linebacker on early downs. His troubling post-season that included bad combine interviews, bad workouts and additional weight around the midsection has substantially clouded his draft standing into the boom-or-bust category.

• Upvote 2

This is similar to the 2012 Draft... we drafted Quinton Coples. & the Pats drafted Chandler Jones... easy to see who had the better career.

Now we drafted Polite & they drafted Winovich... only time will tell who made the better pick. 

ps-  In 2012 I wanted Melvin Ingram...  naysayers kept saying his arms were too short. ?

What I've read about Douglas is he favors productivity over potential.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

Well one thing is for sure, Winovich will never be as Polite as Jachai ?
Wondering what the over / under for Politeness comments will be from TV announcers once this kid starts banging QB's into oblivion

His first sack with have the NY post scrambling for their finest polite pun for the Monday morning back page!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is similar to the 2012 Draft... we drafted Quinton Coples. & the Pats drafted Chandler Jones... easy to see who had the better career.
Now we drafted Polite & they drafted Winovich... only time will tell who made the better pick. 
ps-  In 2012 I wanted Melvin Ingram...  naysayers kept saying his arms were too short. 

That’s a great comparison. Interestingly I didn’t want jones. I felt he was a fraud. lol.

There is a lot to be said for the Pats being able to develop players a lot better than the jets have been but it’s easy to see who got the better player in hindsight. Coples is a strange one. He had oodles of dominant type talent but would just disappear for weeks at a time. That was one of the knocks on him coming out too.

I can see winovich being exactly the type of player bill and the pats turn into a demon but could also see polite doing the same thing over there. lol
I really do wonder who Douglas would choose out of the two

Hard to know what type of player Douglas likes when we know absolutely nothing about Douglas.

That said, based on the short time he was in Philly, I can only find one example of where it would point toward taking the explosive player (even though Polite didnt prove it from a testing prospective) vs. the gritty hardworking college guy that might not be athletic enough for the NFL.  The Eagles took a projection type prospect in Josh Sweat vs. some more productive college players like Marquis Haynes and Shaqueem Griffin who are were more the high motor players.

Also, if the Eagles love Winovich, they could have had him and took a mediocre WR prospect in JJ Arcega-Whiteside instead.  They took a DE in the 4th, Shareef Miller, after Winovich was taken. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

From what I've read, Douglas prefers production over measurables, but also puts an emphasis on character and loving the game. Polite has the production, but completely flubbed the combine, with his interviews supposedly being even worse than his workouts. So really hard to say, but I think the interview might've been a red flag. He's not gonna be getting any coddling under Williams and Gase, so hopefully he used the combine as a learning experience and actually learned something. 

Jachai Polite may have had the worst combine of all time: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/jachai-polite-combine-40-time-interviews

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, jetsons said:

ps-  In 2012 I wanted Melvin Ingram...  naysayers kept saying his arms were too short. ?

What I've read about Douglas is he favors productivity over potential.

I think it's the height of stupidity when people discount a player strictly on measurables. Like when people talk about the size of a QB's hands leading to fumbles. Mark Sanchez had huge hands, and he fumbled the ball like crazy.

I like that Douglas reportedly emphasizes college production over measurables. You're less likely to draft a bust that way, IMO.

Polite has the college production, which gives me hope that he'll pan out.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Another D*ckhead showing their true colors underneath the warm blanket of internet anonymity. So refreshing

These two players are destined for comparisons throughout their careers in the same way as quinnen and Ed Oliver or even to a slightly lesser degree as darnold, Allen, Rosen.
It’s choices made at similar positions within division. There was a pretty substantial discussion during the draft about this. Trying to dissect Douglas’ potential thinking should be interesting for guys that like to talk football. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you.

What’s funny is I had a really interesting discussion with some other jets fans yesterday about this very topic and it was great. I just thought I’d bring it JN to attempt to actually talk about football in June. If you’d rather discuss the same topics over and over like you do that’s fine. I don’t see the reason to be a jerkoff about it.

This turned into a long winded write up of a player we didn't draft.  It really is pointless today given be one can answer what Douglas would have done with that pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Another D*ckhead showing their true colors underneath the warm blanket of internet anonymity. So refreshing

These two players are destined for comparisons throughout their careers in the same way as quinnen and Ed Oliver or even to a slightly lesser degree as darnold, Allen, Rosen.
It’s choices made at similar positions within division. There was a pretty substantial discussion during the draft about this. Trying to dissect Douglas’ potential thinking should be interesting for guys that like to talk football. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you.

What’s funny is I had a really interesting discussion with some other jets fans yesterday about this very topic and it was great. I just thought I’d bring it JN to attempt to actually talk about football in June. If you’d rather discuss the same topics over and over like you do that’s fine. I don’t see the reason to be a jerkoff about it.

Ok, please no personal attacks. Thanks. 

• Sympathy 1

I think it's the height of stupidity when people discount a player strictly on measurables. Like when people talk about the size of a QB's hands leading to fumbles. Mark Sanchez had huge hands, and he fumbled the ball like crazy.
I like that Douglas reportedly emphasizes college production over measurables. You're less likely to draft a bust that way, IMO.
Polite has the college production, which gives me hope that he'll pan out.

I agree whole heartedly. I do like the analytics aspect and I’ve grown incredibly interested in the PFF guys over the past year, but you’re so right IMO. On filed production, especially in the tougher conferences is the number one reason to draft someone from my perspective. Polite was explosive on the field for Florida. That gives me real hope that we covertly addresses the PR piece for once.
I really hoped we didn’t draft Allen at #3 even though it is such a need, but getting a guy that late in the draft would be fantastic.

Again, my thoughts today surround joe Douglas. I’m really trying to dissect what I think he would have done and will do. Obviously we can’t nail it down but it’s my point of interest today. It’s raining and my outside yard work plans are all put on hold. So the over analyzing of Douglas begins. lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Hard to know what type of player Douglas likes when we know absolutely nothing about Douglas.

That said, based on the short time he was in Philly, I can only find one example of where it would point toward taking the explosive player (even though Polite didnt prove it from a testing prospective) vs. the gritty hardworking college guy that might not be athletic enough for the NFL.  The Eagles took a projection type prospect in Josh Sweat vs. some more productive college players like Marquis Haynes and Shaqueem Griffin who are were more the high motor players.

Also, if the Eagles love Winovich, they could have had him and took a mediocre WR prospect in JJ Arcega-Whiteside instead.  They took a DE in the 4th, Shareef Miller, after Winovich was taken. 

It seems like the Eagles might have had a desire for to load up a bit offensively in the 2nd. Interestingly they took Arcega Whiteside before some really solid looking WR's like Parris Campell, DK Metcalf, Jalen Hurd and Terry Mclaurin. He would be a pretty good example as to the type player we could use  to get a window into how Douglas thinks. It's hard to nail down which guys Douglas specifically  "pounded the table" for or not but Arcega-Whiteside was chosen early when comparing him to the closest group of WR's taken after him. 

Having Desean Jackson back into the mix may have allowed them to go a bit more for need with JJ's  Redzone ability, if they clarified it as that, than the analytics based mindset and BPA.  That will be interesting to see how that ends up with need vs. BPA compared to the Macc prison cell of BPA over everything else. Arcega Whiteside is also known to be very football smart and that could be something that makes its way into the character piece we hear about Douglas.  having smart players seems to be more and more valuable as time rolls on and the complexities increase in the NFL. 

I wonder how much need will come into play with our new GM. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

This turned into a long winded write up of a player we didn't draft.  It really is pointless today given be one can answer what Douglas would have done with that pick.

lol 

It's kinda pointless to comment on the pointlessness of a pointless post. No?   

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Wonderboy said:

NO he would have traded back because we need numerous players to restock the talent in this sheet roster. That was the move that needed to be made. And it is a surprise that Macc was FIRED right after his selections in the draft? It’s like getting divorced after the honeymoon. No coincidence.

There was no "trade back" to be made.  The way that the draft fleshed out proves that. 

You can't make things true, just because you wish them to be so.  I wanted to trade back too.  Didn't happen.  The opportunity wasn't there.  That's just the way it is.

Under the circumstances of the 2019 NFL draft, I'm sure any right minded GM would have taken Quinnen Williams with the third overall pick.  We got ourselves a hell of a player.  Rejoice in that, instead of thinking about the woulda, shoulda, coulda'ves.

C. Johnson getting all sorts of credit for getting Douglas when in fact he screwed up badly by not getting him before Mac had one last kick at screwing up the roster with a full draft and many Fa signings.

New coach, lots of cap space a full draft.  Nope, let Dumbo McCoffeenan run the show.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiF said:

toward taking the explosive player (even though Polite didnt prove it from a testing prospective) vs. the gritty hardworking college guy that might not be athletic enough for the NFL. 

Winovich was both the infinitely more hardworking AND explosive prospect. Polite seems like an absolute garbage can by comparison. 

• Upvote 1

I think position is a factor in this scenario. For an edge rusher do you want a guy with the motor and heart but just isn't physical enough to consistently get past the blocker? Or the guy with the talent to beat that blocker but may take a few plays off?

It different than say receiver where guys like Edelman and chrebet can have good production based on effort and techniques. 

2 cents