It’s Official Douglas Jets GM: MERGED

38 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Can Polite be any worse than the drunks like Dylan Donahue, or super unathletic scrubs like Lorenzo Mauldin.

The good news is that Pauline said on Cimini’s podcast that Polite had substance abuse issues at UF, and Polite’s Pro Day made Lorenzo Mauldin’s Pro Day look like Von Miller’s Pro Day. 

7 hours ago, jetsons said:

This is similar to the 2012 Draft... we drafted Quinton Coples. & the Pats drafted Chandler Jones... easy to see who had the better career.

Now we drafted Polite & they drafted Winovich... only time will tell who made the better pick. 

ps-  In 2012 I wanted Melvin Ingram...  naysayers kept saying his arms were too short. ?

What I've read about Douglas is he favors productivity over potential.

Ingram sucked his first couple years in the nfl he would have been barbecued here

Rex ruined Coples by moving him to LB and then Bowles cut him because he made fun of Bowles falling asleep at team meetings

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has anyone ever worked out with Polite’s profile? Burfict is the only guy I can think of and  you could say he’s everything everyone thought he was.

He seems eerily similar to Jarvis Jones and Damontre Moore. So to answer your question, no......at least at that position.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has anyone ever worked out with Polite’s profile? Burfict is the only guy I can think of and  you could say he’s everything everyone thought he was.

DP

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Wasn’t Barron a tweener?

The fact that the three players already brought up play OL, ILB, and a hybrid S/LB tweener speaks volumes. Good pass rushers in this league always perform well in drills, and they all do it weighing more than 235lbs. Polite has bust written all over him.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

C. Johnson getting all sorts of credit for getting Douglas when in fact he screwed up badly by not getting him before Mac had one last kick at screwing up the roster with a full draft and many Fa signings.

New coach, lots of cap space a full draft.  Nope, let Dumbo McCoffeenan run the show.

Yeah, he should have kept him on for the rest of the year instead.  Because Macc proving he couldnt get along with someone driven towards quick, decisive requirements like Gase didnt show up on day one he should have compounded it by keeping him around.

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

C. Johnson getting all sorts of credit for getting Douglas when in fact he screwed up badly by not getting him before Mac had one last kick at screwing up the roster with a full draft and many Fa signings.

New coach, lots of cap space a full draft.  Nope, let Dumbo McCoffeenan run the show.

He likely couldn’t have gotten him before they hired Gase and when other teams were looking for GMs. Some people are always looking for the bad side of things. Why not try to be happy that we seem to be in good hands?

Yeah, he should have kept him on for the rest of the year instead.  Because Macc proving he couldnt get along with someone driven towards quick, decisive requirements like Gase didnt show up on day one he should have compounded it by keeping him around.

Right. I was really surprised by the firing and was all over the timing aspect of it. But I have to agree that it is better to let him go sooner than later if the problem is identified. CJ should at least get some credit for that. I also buy into the idea that it was a plan to get Douglas from the beginning. The fact that the plan worked out is an indication that hope is warranted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:09 AM, Bocajetfan said:

What I believe to be a positive for him is he has seen first hand a tough media and fan base. Not that he had to deal directly with them but he knows firsthand what to expect. Not many others are as tough as Philly and New York.

We needed a GM that has handled tough fans. I didn't put this together but I like it!

On 6/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, jetstream23 said:

Oh, burn! Get the lotion out. lol

?

I think one interesting thing to find out is what he really thinks of analytics.  I believe he's said things along the lines of "I'm not an analytics guy", but I'm hoping what it actually means is "but I want to learn".

It might be hard to predict things from analytics (or it might not) - but they should hire smart guys that try!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Polite > winovic

All this bad character stuff with Polite is fake news. He was a great player for FL and never got in trouble. Wth? 

Thank you!!!

Folks made a false narrative about him being a bad Person because he missed trained for the combine.     

Nuts!!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thshadow said:

I think one interesting thing to find out is what he really thinks of analytics.  I believe he's said things along the lines of "I'm not an analytics guy", but I'm hoping what it actually means is "but I want to learn".

It might be hard to predict things from analytics (or it might not) - but they should hire smart guys that try!

Interestingly, analytics relies very much on college production instead of measurables.  So while he may say he is not an analytics guy he may wind up in the same place on a lot of players.  I sometimes wonder if a a lot of teams wouldn't do better drafting if they just stayed away from the Combine altogether.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!!

Folks made a false narrative about him being a bad Person because he missed trained for the combine.     

Nuts!!

He was advised poorly in not preparing for the Combine.  Is that his fault too?  Absolutely, but in the interviews I've seen he does not seem to be a bad kid.  But he did seem to be hurt to hear all this bad stuff about himself and wants to prove the world wrong.  And I'm not a scout, but his tape is extremely impressive -- not just getting to the QB but his knack for causing all those fumbles.  I'll take the tape over the forty time, any day.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

As it turned out, firing Macc when he did turned out to be a big benefit for the Jets. Got cracks at guys they would never have been given a chance at because they were the only option on the market

Yup.  Don't care about het drama that played out over the past month.  We appear to be in a much better place today than we were a month ago,  And thats all that matters, at least until its time to start winning games.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:56 AM, slats said:

If those numbers are to be believed, that's a huge increase in offers from the Jets. These contracts are fully guaranteed. Jets moved from $7.6M to $19.2M? That's crazy, especially for an organization that has rightly been accused of being cheap over the years. That's not a move Woody would make. Chris? Does Adam Gase really already have that much juice in the organization? 

I will say, though, that if it was all about cheapness he'd have let Macc & Bowles stick for at least on more year. Each had guaranteed contracts through early 2021, and both were fired in the first half of 2019, so they're both collecting millions pay this year & next year, on top of the hires who replace them. 

I don't know if it's purely cheapness or just trying to get the best price. His ultimate caving in suggests the latter, but that also doesn't necessarily mean what happened here was what's always happened.

There were also reported inquiries made to Harbaugh towards the end of 2018, and they did interview McCarthy in January. One doesn't even waste the time doing so unless there's a willingness to pony up $7-10MM/year for the HC (again, while still paying Bowles another $4MM or whatever he makes on top of that for the following 2 seasons). 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:57 PM, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

There was no "trade back" to be made.  The way that the draft fleshed out proves that. 

You can't make things true, just because you wish them to be so.  I wanted to trade back too.  Didn't happen.  The opportunity wasn't there.  That's just the way it is.

Under the circumstances of the 2019 NFL draft, I'm sure any right minded GM would have taken Quinnen Williams with the third overall pick.  We got ourselves a hell of a player.  Rejoice in that, instead of thinking about the woulda, shoulda, coulda'ves.

Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it could have happened, Macc just didn't cajones to trade back. Im fine with it now since it was the straw  broke the camel's back.