Why does everyone love Douglas?

Amazing how everything fell into place after lucking into Sam Darnold.

1- Giants pass on Sam Darnold

2- Darnold has best QBR in last quarter of season playing behind an Oline missing 3 starters, handing off to an UDFA, throwing to a rookie TE & another UDFA. 

3- Chris Johnson hires an offensive coach to mentor this rising star.

4- Chris Johnson fires Macc

5- Chris Johnson targets Joe Douglas who has worked with Gase.

6- Chris Johnson gets his man.

THANK YOU WOODY FOR LEAVING THE COUNTRY & PUTTING YOUR BROTHER IN CHARGE. HES A QUICK LEARNER. 

As soon as CJ realized the Jets had finally found their future at QB, that alone would be the magnet to draw competent people into the organization. Without Sam Darnold, Gase doesn't even look this way & without Darnold + Gase, Joe Douglas doesn't even pick up the phone when he's told the Jets are on the line. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m trying to figure out why everyone is so happy about the hire. What has he done that warrants this type of excitement? Was he that instrumental in building the Philly super Bowl team? Was he the one who orchestrated the Wentz trade?

all first time GMs come from somewhere.  Football people have ways of measuring their body of work.  You do not just hire failed GMs to replace your failed GMs.  Sometimes you bring in someone new.

11 minutes ago, jack48 said:

all first time GMs come from somewhere.  Football people have ways of measuring their body of work.  You do not just hire failed GMs to replace your failed GMs.  Sometimes you bring in someone new.

Football insiders and the talking heads have an idea who the top front office prospects are most fans have no idea. Douglas has a buzz about him from these types . For me this brings an excitement but most importantly the Eagles fought to keep this guy, bye most accounts. So for me it just lends credence to the buzz and a real reason to be excited.

• Upvote 1

He is highly regarded throughout the league as a talented executive who has worked his way up through two highly respected franchises.  While there are no guarantees that he will be successful the experience that he brings gives him a good chance to be successful.  After the stumbling and bumbling that we have experienced,  most people are excited that we were able to bring in someone so highly respected.
Exactly the same thing was said of McCagnan... Highly respected personnel guy well thought of around the league ...years under respected GMs .. blah blah blah

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Most Jet fans crown people before they earn it. This fan base is plagued by it. I’m personally happy that we got him and HOPE he can do well. I feel the same way about Gase. Time will tell. 

NIce to have people who hve been to a Super Bowl in the fold.

Football insiders and the talking heads have an idea who the top front office prospects are most fans have no idea. Douglas has a buzz about him from these types . For me this brings an excitement but most importantly the Eagles fought to keep this guy, bye most accounts. So for me it just lends credence to the buzz and a real reason to be excited.
Please see my comment above

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Personally I'm in wait and see mode. One thing I'm really happy about is that he's supposedly a bug believer in analytics, which I think is something that is vitally important and we're way behind in. Getting up to speed there would be a huge improvement in and of itself, IMO.

Where did you read that, because I actually read the exact opposite - that Douglas is a big character guy who wants players who absolutely love football over guys with measurables?

I think the reason people are happy is that Douglas' MO is that he builds through the trenches and he has backed that up with his draft picks of Derek Barnett (DE when they didnt "need" one) and Andre Dillard (a LT when they didnt "need" one).  He is also apparently a good judge of CBs - which was mentioned in the draft deep dive (great article) from turnonthejets.com   http://turnonthejets.com/2019/06/new-york-jets-gm-search-joe-douglas-philadelphia-resume-deep-dive/#more-49470

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Exactly the same thing was said of McCagnan... Highly respected personnel guy well thought of around the league ...years under respected GMs .. blah blah blah

Did see your comment and agree. As I said though the Eagles fought to retain him, don’t recall Houston doing that for Mac. For that reason more than anything else I feel excited. For what its worth.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Pac said:

I don't care one way or another but just learning he's not a big believer in analytics is pretty funny..  all these DVOYROJ heroes who were yanking their cranks about getting rid of Macc for Douglas have been sold a bill of goods.

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Personally I'm in wait and see mode. One thing I'm really happy about is that he's supposedly a bug believer in analytics, which I think is something that is vitally important and we're way behind in. Getting up to speed there would be a huge improvement in and of itself, IMO.

LOL Wut?

I’m not down on Douglas at all. Love the hire and I’m hoping he’ll finally help turn this ship around. But I’m not proclaiming anything until I see results   

What I have been though, is a downer on so many posters proclaiming that Douglas is undoubtedly going to be great, as if they had some specialized knowledge of him. It started with people listing his accomplishments with the Eagles, particularly on the offensive line, and most of those moves were made before he was even with the team. Someone else credited him with drafting Wentz and hiring Pederson  

Someone else wrote a long post and in the middle of the post wrote something along the lines of...”he going to be a great GM if draft and signs good players”.....that’s some in depth analysis. 

The above two posts just highlight the fact that most of us don’t really know jack about him other than his work history. 

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

So who would have been your choice?  Or are you one of those guys that just craps on everything else but won’t put themselves out there?

17 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Where did you read that, because I actually read the exact opposite - that Douglas is a big character guy who wants players who absolutely love football over guys with measurables?

I think the reason people are happy is that Douglas' MO is that he builds through the trenches and he has backed that up with his draft picks of Derek Barnett (DE when they didnt "need" one) and Andre Dillard (a LT when they didnt "need" one).  He is also apparently a good judge of CBs - which was mentioned in the draft deep dive (great article) from turnonthejets.com   http://turnonthejets.com/2019/06/new-york-jets-gm-search-joe-douglas-philadelphia-resume-deep-dive/#more-49470

So we’re good if Douglas drafts a D-lineman in the first round next year when we’ve all complained that we don’t need more d-lineman?

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m trying to figure out why everyone is so happy about the hire. What has he done that warrants this type of excitement? Was he that instrumental in building the Philly super Bowl team? Was he the one who orchestrated the Wentz trade?

I think maybe because he looks like me, Im an exceptionally charming fella. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

21 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I forget where I read it, or thought I read it. Searching for it leads me to believe I misread something. Maybe I was reading about Douglas and misread thoughts attributed to Andrew Berry as being attributed to Douglas. It does sound like he's more of  a traditional guy who was working with a strong analytics department. 

So thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams buddy. Hopefully he saw value in the analytics in Philly and wants to bring it here.

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

So we’re good if Douglas drafts a D-lineman in the first round next year when we’ve all complained that we don’t need more d-lineman?

I haven't complained that we had too many Lineman, Q was the best pick for us at 3 (Id have liked to trade down) and he should be a cornerstone piece for this defense.  If a DE (not an interior DL) is the BPA for us next year and Polite hasn't shown enough, then Id be fine continuing to build our pass rush.  Hopefully though Q is Douglas' Barnett and next year he starts rebuilding the Oline

13 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

LOL Wut?

I’m not down on Douglas at all. Love the hire and I’m hoping he’ll finally help turn this ship around. But I’m not proclaiming anything until I see results   

What I have been though, is a downer on so many posters proclaiming that Douglas is undoubtedly going to be great, as if they had some specialized knowledge of him. It started with people listing his accomplishments with the Eagles, particularly on the offensive line, and most of those moves were made before he was even with the team. Someone else credited him with drafting Wentz and hiring Pederson  

Someone else wrote a long post and in the middle of the post wrote something along the lines of...”he going to be a great GM if draft and signs good players”.....that’s some in depth analysis. 

The above two posts just highlight the fact that most of us don’t really know jack about him other than his work history. 

I am definitely in the "don't know jack about him" category. Like I said I'm taking a wait and see approach - I'm not one of the people who is talking like we just made a killer hire. No idea. I thought I had read he was really into analytics which was one really positive I had for him - sounds like that may not even be true.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

He spent 16 years under Ozzie Newsome who is considered one of the best GMs in recent years.

Would love to see Ozzie brought in as a “Special Advisor” to the GM. To be honest I don’t think Ozzie was ready to retire but Ravens didn’t want to lose his protege to another team. Ozzie knows talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I forget where I read it, or thought I read it. Searching for it leads me to believe I misread something. Maybe I was reading about Douglas and misread thoughts attributed to Andrew Berry as being attributed to Douglas. It does sound like he's more of  a traditional guy who was working with a strong analytics department. 

So thanks for crushing my hopes and dreams buddy. Hopefully he saw value in the analytics in Philly and wants to bring it here.

Ha! Analytics are great and should be a part of the evaluation, but I prefer someone who values football character the most.  The interesting thing is that for the first time in essentially ever, the Jets have a coach and locker room that can handle us taking shots on guys like Polite.  Gase/Williams combined with Mosley, Adams and Sam should really start to set a culture here, something we haven't seen in ages if ever.

• Upvote 1

And of course the media is right in there with the grumpy Jets fans. Jets get the man they wanted from the get-go after some tough negotiating. Media?

"Did Joe Douglas even want the job?"

"Did Chris Johnson handle this well?"

"What did Joe Douglas get himself into?"

"How will Joe Douglas survive the circus?"

"Did Jets pay too much for guy with no GM experience?"

"Jets lucky to finish hire before Douglas courted by Texans."

etc, etc.

(okay I made some of them up, but you get the idea)

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Everyone loves everything right now.

When you were pretty much the worst at everything, every change is an improvement.

That’s actually a very good point. Currently it’s the easiest time in a long time to convince yourself to like the uncertainty that change brings. Until it turns into the thing it will probably turn into becoming progressively more difficult to like. Stagnation is very difficult to believe in. 

• Upvote 1

Did see your comment and agree. As I said though the Eagles fought to retain him, don’t recall Houston doing that for Mac. For that reason more than anything else I feel excited. For what its worth.
Except now it looks like Mac is headed back to Texans ...soooo

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Except now it looks like Mac is headed back to Texans ...soooo

Is Houston interested? Does he have an interview set up. Thought people were just wondering would Houston be interested.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Because Lurie, JD and company are Winners, We need winners.

IMG_0984.thumb.JPG.c2b5859908a1c0b15a4f36535bc99ca1.JPG

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This is what I expect. 

He was brought up the traditional way, and that's how he, personally, scouts and evaluates players. He puts a strong emphasis on character and loving football. Likes production over measurables. You'd think he'd be on board with guys like Polite and Wesco if that's the case. 

But he also does come from a team that's at the forefront of analytics, and he's smart enough to see the value there. Said in Philly that people came to the table from different places and hammered it out until they were on the same page. So I figure he'll employ an analytics group, take in information from his traditional scouts and his numbers people, and then make decisions based on his gut. Seems like a guy who would put a lot of weight on personal interviews. 

• Upvote 3

It's already been covered by others but:

1) He's an extremely well respected and desired candidate who has been a part of successful teams known for talent evaluation.

2) Instead of pissing down their leg, getting turned down for being too cheap or too dysfunctional the Jets went all in to get the "best" guy no matter what.

No guarantees that it works out but given the ridiculous timing of the Mac firing I don't think this could have worked out better for us.

• Upvote 1