ESPN Philly: What Jets are getting (and Eagles are losing) in Joe Douglas

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Whether his run there ends in success will depend on whether the other necessary components are placed around him.

Good article and the best part was the last sentence. That's something he already has.

• Upvote 3

I'm hopeful his few years in Philadelphia have made him more open to analytics and at least having that represented in the front office in a major way. 

It seems clear he and Gase have become close because they look for the same traits in players; more of that old school scouting style.  If Douglas has made funding of the scouting department and front office as high a priority as we've been made to believe, I hope that includes beefing up the analytic and data-driven side as well to provide that necessary counter-balance.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

Good article and the best part was the last sentence. That's something he already has.

That's going to be pretty cool if he can bring the guys he brought to Philly from the Ravens with him to the Jets. Having "his" guys with him will go a long way.  I'm also rooting for Savage to come on board. I've heard a few mentions of that possibility over the last few weeks. Phil is just sitting home trimming the hedges.   The long shot I would really love would be for Champ Kelly to be the Director of College Personnel.  That would be nothing short of the Gase dream team. If we grab the two guys who have worked with Gase that can still deal with him it would be phenomenal.  I don't know if Kelly has any real connection with Douglas or not. I don't even know if Douglas knows or likes the guy but it would be cool and show that we mean business by taking two of the top candidates off of the field. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's going to be pretty cool if he can bring the guys he brought to Philly from the Ravens with him to the Jets. Having "his" guys with him will go a long way.  I'm also rooting for Savage to come on board. I've heard a few mentions of that possibility over the last few weeks. Phil is just sitting home trimming the hedges.   The long shot I would really love would be for Champ Kelly to be the Director of College Personnel.  That would be nothing short of the Gase dream team. If we grab the two guys who have worked with Gase that can still deal with him it would be phenomenal.  I don't know if Kelly has any real connection with Douglas or not. I don't even know if Douglas knows or likes the guy but it would be cool and show that we mean business by taking two of the top candidates off of the field. 

I should have been clearer but I'm stating he already has his staff in place....or at least 90% of it. Most of them were onboard over a month ago.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Douglas and Kelly have worked together with Chicago in 2015 during Joe's only season with the Bears. Kelly would be a great addition to the Jets front office as would Savage. One of the best aspects to this hire is the great respect that Douglas seems to hold around the league, he has a lot of connections with highly regarded scouts and personnel within the league and should be able to build a competent group of talent evaluators, something that this team has desperately lacked. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RobR said:

I should have been clearer but I'm stating he already has his staff in place....or at least 90% of it. Most of them were onboard over a month ago.

I got it. I would agree that all of this was already in the works for weeks. I'm talking about from our perspective. We don't know anything so It's going to be cool and fun to see how it goes. There is word that one of his guys he brought to Philly may take his position for the Eagles so that would most likely take one of his planned guys away. And I have my own little hopes for whatever his plan is too.  

Could you imagine if we ended up having Phil Savage and Champ Kelly come along with Douglas?  All experienced and successful, very well thought of GM candidates in their own right. What a sea change it would be around here. 

And I'll add that actually landing Douglas supports the idea that this was the plan all along. A lot of us thought it looked that way, but I can't buy into anything before its official with this friggin franchise. Now that it's done it reeks of an actual well thought out and aggressive plan that CJ and Gase put together. That is a very very good sign for our fanhood. The patience exhibited throughout the process and amid a torrent of negative press is also something adults do. I barely know how to handle it. 

We do actually have Sam Darnold too right?  ? 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, FO-Ti said:

Douglas and Kelly have worked together with Chicago in 2015 during Joe's only season with the Bears. Kelly would be a great addition to the Jets front office as would Savage. One of the best aspects to this hire is the great respect that Douglas seems to hold around the league, he has a lot of connections with highly regarded scouts and personnel within the league and should be able to build a competent group of talent evaluators, something that this team has desperately lacked. 

That's the best.  People can bring up that we didn't know who he was a month ago all they want. What I've learned about him since this began is very strong.  I liked what I learned about Kelly too. I really do think he's a little less GM ready and needs to simmer a bit longer though. I would have been disappointed if he was the guy. But to be the number 2 would be very good IMO.  Just right.  Phil Savage would bring a boat load of experience which could be invaluable. He drafted Bray Bray baby!  :) 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sounds like everything is coming together for once, especially if Douglas is bringing some of "his" people with him.  Can't wait for the season to start.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, RobR said:

This, if indeed is a fact, would be terrific news.

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

i bet JD and AG have been working on this since the day AG was hired...guaranteed.

It was definitely later than that but obviously not far off.

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

The best part about the Douglas hire is he will put together a scouting team like the Jets have never had and we'll see it shortly. Precisely the reason why I said he was already a done deal a month ago.....yet all of the naysayers are miraculously absent tonight. 

Douglas was adamant about the dollars they spent in Philly when they took him aboard and nothing changed here We now have an owner that not only had a strategic plan but also executed it. When has that ever happened as a Jets fan?

It's pretty crazy when you really think about it. It's hard to say that this wasn't all constructed. It wasn't a random May firing with CJ just making an impulsive decision. Like it or not it was a plan.  I was very surprised by the timing of the firing and truth be told I was very concerned with how much power we were giving Gase and said as much many times. I could certainly be called a naysayer. But I came to the conclusion that if we're going to have any chance to succeed we're just going to have to go all in with Gase. It's all or nothing now that Macc and Heimy are out. If he's gonna make it work just get people he's comfortable with and think similarly so they can build the team the way they want.  Gase obviously didn't have that in Miami with how he and the owner ended it and we obviously didn't have it here. This will be the first time in forever that we have a completely unified FO and coaching staff. It's nuts. 

We were hearing Joe Douglas before the draft even happened or right after. How the hell could it be that it all ended up this way?  It was the master plan and I'm blown away by it. If our new GM gets the guys he has in mind for this team it's gonna be the best chance we've had to build a true contender we've seen in a long long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We were hearing Joe Douglas before the draft even happened or right after. How the hell could it be that it all ended up this way?  It was the master plan and I'm blown away by it. If our new GM gets the guys he has in mind for this team it's gonna be the best chance we've had to build a true contender we've seen in a long long time. 

This is what I've been saying since it broke before the draft. It makes zero sense to fire your GM when we did, if you didn't have somebody already set to take over the position. Obviously the Jets did and that credit should go to CJ. I'm also guessing the Texans already have someone under contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas was behind every move since Lee got shipped out including that trade. .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

This is what I've been saying since it broke before the draft. It makes zero sense to fire your GM when we did, if you didn't have somebody already set to take over the position. Obviously the Jets did and that credit should go to CJ. I'm also guessing the Texans already have someone under contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas was behind every move since Lee got shipped out including that trade. .

It's funny. I think a lot of people wanted to believe that there was a plan and it looked possible, but what's more likely with this team? That they had a well constructed plan to grab one of the strongest GM candidates out there right now and that it would work? Or that we had our heads up our A$$es and were running around with bubble gum to stick in all of the cracks in the dam?  When you look at giving Macc $100 mil to spend in FA and the 3rd pick in the draft before being fired it certainly looks like the latter. Not to mention the Jets history of blunder after blunder. Even Gase was hired after they blew it with Matt Rhule. Not a good lead up to a successful plan implementation. 

I hang around JN too much. I've seen your posts. And as much as I would have loved to confidently buy into the idea of a plan I'll admit I was waiting for the floor to fall out.  When the Texans fired their GM today I thought "well there it is."   lol 

• Upvote 1

Hiring a truly talented GM is a package deal. A good GM is only as good as the talent evaluators he surrounds himself with. Now obviously for so many to speak in such glowing terms about Joe Douglas he must have at least at some point had a great supporting cast? Here's to hoping he brought that talent staff with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Great to hear about the hire.  I'm a bit worried about the "traditional scout" bit because I believe in analytics, so hopefully he understands their value.  

I'm more interested to see his philosophy, and how he values positions.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Great to hear about the hire.  I'm a bit worried about the "traditional scout" bit because I believe in analytics, so hopefully he understands their value.  

The more I read the less i am concerned about the analytics. He will employ a staff that also embraces analytics but there will still be a back and forth. 

I think his biggest concern is about character.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, RobR said:

The more I read the less i am concerned about the analytics. He will employ a staff that also embraces analytics but there will still be a back and forth. 

I think his biggest concern is about character.

Yeah, I read a bunch about how the Eagles were really moving ahead in analytics and VR solutions, so I'm really excited to see it.  The next gen stats made available are just the tip of the iceberg available to NFL teams, but I think they go a long way in pro-scouting.  I thought that was lacking for a long time with the Jets, where they just didn't scout the pro game well at all.  

I wish they incorporated VR into coaching QBs.  You see a lot of white board stuff on shows, but it provides an overhead shot.  It's like a racing game with the up and behind the car angle, which makes it easier.  I wish they would put QBs with VR at the line of scrimmage, put in a defense, and have them read a defense, and call an audible based on it.  

Typical Cimini hit piece 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/80092/jets-new-gm-joe-douglas-solid-hire-but-it-guarantees-nothing

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The first time anyone noticed Joe Douglas in the NFL was the summer of 2001, when he played a bit role in the debut of HBO's "Hard Knocks" series. A low-level personnel assistant for the Baltimore Ravens, Douglas was "The Turk" -- the league's version of the Grim Reaper.

A camera followed him on cut-down day as he walked the halls of the Ravens' facility, breaking the bad news to players. He was only 25, and he looked it. He wore a blue baseball cap, khaki shorts and a blue T-shirt with "Sloppy Joe's" on the back. For what it's worth, he didn't seem to relish the assignment.

Douglas has gone from the most thankless job in the NFL to one of the toughest -- general manager of the New York Jets. From Hard Knocks to Hard Times.

Wish the man luck because he will need it.

On the surface, this is a very good hire by the Jets. Douglas, named on Friday to replace the recently fired Mike Maccagnan, is a true football guy. He worked his way up the scouting ladder in two organizations that hoisted a Lombardi Trophy during his tenure -- the Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles, where he spent the past three years as the vice president of player personnel. People in the scouting community say he's a terrific talent evaluator with a tireless work ethic. His résumé screams, "I'm ready!"

But is he ready for the Jets?

Pardon the skepticism, but this isn't your typical GM gig. Oh, no. This is a franchise that lacks stability (he's the fourth GM in the past eight years). This is a franchise with a stand-in owner, CEO Christopher Johnson, who showed inexperience and indecisiveness by waiting so long to make the Maccagnan move. This is an organization known for clashing agendas and backroom politics. A former Jets coach once told me, "You always have to watch your back in that building."

And Douglas wants to be part of this?

Hearkening back to that old T-shirt, this could get sloppy, Joe. He could be the next Bobby Beathard in terms of scouting acumen, but that doesn't mean he will be a smashing success. There are so many mitigating factors, starting with this: He must be compatible with coach Adam Gase, who, despite his denials, ran off Maccagnan in four months -- the same Maccagnan who was instrumental in hiring him.

You would like to believe Gase and Douglas will be a good team because ... well, Gase picked him. If you believe the conspiracy theorists, Gase had his eye on Douglas from the moment he arrived at One Jets Drive in January. They worked together in 2015 with the Chicago Bears and they stayed in touch. Familiarity is important in the coach-GM relationship. The Jets didn't have it with Rex Ryan-John Idzik and Todd Bowles-Maccagnan, and the results were awful -- 12-20 and 24-40, respectively.

Jets just would not take “no” as an answer from Joe Douglas. He tried to turn down the Jets and each time he did, they came back at him harder and harder. Jets simply were not going to be denied in their efforts to land the former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel.

The Jets have no chance -- no chance! -- if Gase and Douglas don't have the same vision, don't work collaboratively and don't have each other's back. That doesn't sound too difficult, but it is for this franchise. As the New York Daily News reported last week, and sources confirmed, Johnson and Maccagnan held a secret meeting late last fall with Kliff Kingsbury's agent even though Bowles was still the coach. Maccagnan must have felt like a "Sopranos" character because he went from "made" man to sleeping with the fishes in only a few months.

Gase isn't for everybody because of his intense, high-strung personality, so it's fair to wonder about the long-term viability of this marriage. Will Gase stay in his lane and let Douglas handle the roster and personnel decisions? Contractually, Douglas controls the 53-man roster and has final say. Gase insists he's cool with that, but we'll see. One positive: Basically, both men are starting at the same time, which means there shouldn't be any finger pointing if things go bad after one year. They're on the same timeline. They're in it together.

Famous last words.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Typical Cimini hit piece 

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/80092/jets-new-gm-joe-douglas-solid-hire-but-it-guarantees-nothing

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The first time anyone noticed Joe Douglas in the NFL was the summer of 2001, when he played a bit role in the debut of HBO's "Hard Knocks" series. A low-level personnel assistant for the Baltimore Ravens, Douglas was "The Turk" -- the league's version of the Grim Reaper.

A camera followed him on cut-down day as he walked the halls of the Ravens' facility, breaking the bad news to players. He was only 25, and he looked it. He wore a blue baseball cap, khaki shorts and a blue T-shirt with "Sloppy Joe's" on the back. For what it's worth, he didn't seem to relish the assignment.

Douglas has gone from the most thankless job in the NFL to one of the toughest -- general manager of the New York Jets. From Hard Knocks to Hard Times.

Wish the man luck because he will need it.

On the surface, this is a very good hire by the Jets. Douglas, named on Friday to replace the recently fired Mike Maccagnan, is a true football guy. He worked his way up the scouting ladder in two organizations that hoisted a Lombardi Trophy during his tenure -- the Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles, where he spent the past three years as the vice president of player personnel. People in the scouting community say he's a terrific talent evaluator with a tireless work ethic. His résumé screams, "I'm ready!"

But is he ready for the Jets?

Pardon the skepticism, but this isn't your typical GM gig. Oh, no. This is a franchise that lacks stability (he's the fourth GM in the past eight years). This is a franchise with a stand-in owner, CEO Christopher Johnson, who showed inexperience and indecisiveness by waiting so long to make the Maccagnan move. This is an organization known for clashing agendas and backroom politics. A former Jets coach once told me, "You always have to watch your back in that building."

And Douglas wants to be part of this?

Hearkening back to that old T-shirt, this could get sloppy, Joe. He could be the next Bobby Beathard in terms of scouting acumen, but that doesn't mean he will be a smashing success. There are so many mitigating factors, starting with this: He must be compatible with coach Adam Gase, who, despite his denials, ran off Maccagnan in four months -- the same Maccagnan who was instrumental in hiring him.

You would like to believe Gase and Douglas will be a good team because ... well, Gase picked him. If you believe the conspiracy theorists, Gase had his eye on Douglas from the moment he arrived at One Jets Drive in January. They worked together in 2015 with the Chicago Bears and they stayed in touch. Familiarity is important in the coach-GM relationship. The Jets didn't have it with Rex Ryan-John Idzik and Todd Bowles-Maccagnan, and the results were awful -- 12-20 and 24-40, respectively.

Jets just would not take “no” as an answer from Joe Douglas. He tried to turn down the Jets and each time he did, they came back at him harder and harder. Jets simply were not going to be denied in their efforts to land the former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel.

The Jets have no chance -- no chance! -- if Gase and Douglas don't have the same vision, don't work collaboratively and don't have each other's back. That doesn't sound too difficult, but it is for this franchise. As the New York Daily News reported last week, and sources confirmed, Johnson and Maccagnan held a secret meeting late last fall with Kliff Kingsbury's agent even though Bowles was still the coach. Maccagnan must have felt like a "Sopranos" character because he went from "made" man to sleeping with the fishes in only a few months.

Gase isn't for everybody because of his intense, high-strung personality, so it's fair to wonder about the long-term viability of this marriage. Will Gase stay in his lane and let Douglas handle the roster and personnel decisions? Contractually, Douglas controls the 53-man roster and has final say. Gase insists he's cool with that, but we'll see. One positive: Basically, both men are starting at the same time, which means there shouldn't be any finger pointing if things go bad after one year. They're on the same timeline. They're in it together.

Famous last words.

This article is like eating a burger without the meat.

The best part about the Douglas hire is he will put together a scouting team like the Jets have never had and we'll see it shortly. Precisely the reason why I said he was already a done deal a month ago.....yet all of the naysayers are miraculously absent tonight. 
Douglas was adamant about the dollars they spent in Philly when they took him aboard and nothing changed here We now have an owner that not only had a strategic plan but also executed it. When has that ever happened as a Jets fan?

Mac put together his own scouting team like the jets had never seen before too. Lets wait to see what happens before we induct a guy who has no experience as a gm.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

He worked successfully with Howie Roseman in Philly who was an analytics guy.  Hopefully he sees the value in both traditional scouting and analytics and will build a staff that is a mix of both. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I mean, this is indisputable and fair, and it’s the one major hurdle that Douglas is going to have to overcome. The only troubling thing you’ve heard about Douglas is that he might be a little bit soft, personality-wise, and he’s going to be confronted here on a daily basis. The good news is that they gave him a sh*tload of money and years, so he’s bulletproof from on high. The other good news is that Gase is really the bull goose loony anyway, so even if Douglas is a little deferential, it might not matter. 

• Upvote 1