Jump to content
Lith

ESPN Philly: What Jets are getting (and Eagles are losing) in Joe Douglas

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Oh, no. This is a franchise that lacks stability (he's the fourth GM in the past eight years).

Can Cimini please stop pushing this narrative.  It is not an incorrect statement, but it is deceptive.  Tannenbaum was GM from 2006 - 12; so Douglas is also the 4th GM in 14 years and the 3 previous averaged over 4 years tenure.  Nohting unreasonable there:

2006 - 12: Tannenbaum. 7 seasons

2013 -14 Idzik. 2 seasons

2015 - 18 Macc. 4 seasons.

2019 -  Douglas.

Douglas is also 4th GM in 14 seasons if you recognize that Tanny was here for more than 1 season.  Only guy you could argue was not givena  fair chance was Idzik for just 2 seasons, but its hard to see anyone making that argument.

It was time for a change.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Parcells was pretty stout man. 

I think most of us here would easily agree GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RobR said:

This is what I've been saying since it broke before the draft. It makes zero sense to fire your GM when we did, if you didn't have somebody already set to take over the position. Obviously the Jets did and that credit should go to CJ. I'm also guessing the Texans already have someone under contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas was behind every move since Lee got shipped out including that trade. .

There's no way that's true, that would be insane if you think about it. Someone on another team is making moves for another franchise...through what? Private phone calls? 

Douglas: "Hey Adam...I can't wait to start over there, it's gonna take a couple weeks though, can you do me a favor and trade Lee. Guy is trash, let's just get that one done already. Thanks" 

Pederson: "Who was that?"

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's funny. I think a lot of people wanted to believe that there was a plan and it looked possible, but what's more likely with this team? That they had a well constructed plan to grab one of the strongest GM candidates out there right now and that it would work? Or that we had our heads up our A$$es and were running around with bubble gum to stick in all of the cracks in the dam?  When you look at giving Macc $100 mil to spend in FA and the 3rd pick in the draft before being fired it certainly looks like the latter. Not to mention the Jets history of blunder after blunder. Even Gase was hired after they blew it with Matt Rhule. Not a good lead up to a successful plan implementation. 

I hang around JN too much. I've seen your posts. And as much as I would have loved to confidently buy into the idea of a plan I'll admit I was waiting for the floor to fall out.  When the Texans fired their GM today I thought "well there it is."   lol 

As happy as I am about getting Joe Douglas (which to me is the 2nd best thing to happen to this franchise since Sam Darnold), I still think the Jets screwed up by not firing Macc going into the offseason (and hiring Douglas to take care of all the moves).  If CJ was too overwhelmed to hire both a GM and HC simultaneously then the job is too big for him.  And he really ought to have only hired just a GM and let the GM hire the HC (but I digress).

In any case, I love that Douglas got a 6 year deal at $3.3M.  That gives him some security and confidence when dealing with both CJ and Gase.  Now let him shape this team the way HE sees fit.  I will cross my fingers that Gase is both a good HC (which is possible despite him seemingly being a major A-hole) and that he and Douglas get along.  There are some real reasons for optimism right now as a Jet fan.  My biggest immediate concern is that Douglas brings in OL (at least a center) to protect Darnold this year.  If Sam gets hurt then the whole plan could easily go up in smoke.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, southtown24th said:

1. Parcells

2. Douglas

1. Weeb Eubanks (has THE Ring)

2. Parcells

3. Douglas (I hope)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, slats said:

Douglas may be Gase's man, but he's clearly not his patsy (as some were concerned about). 

Including Tony Pauline btw:

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

As happy as I am about getting Joe Douglas (which to me is the 2nd best thing to happen to this franchise since Sam Darnold), I still think the Jets screwed up by not firing Macc going into the offseason (and hiring Douglas to take care of all the moves).  If CJ was too overwhelmed to hire both a GM and HC simultaneously then the job is too big for him.  And he really ought to have only hired just a GM and let the GM hire the HC (but I digress).

In any case, I love that Douglas got a 6 year deal at $3.3M.  That gives him some security and confidence when dealing with both CJ and Gase.  Now let him shape this team the way HE sees fit.  I will cross my fingers that Gase is both a good HC (which is possible despite him seemingly being a major A-hole) and that he and Douglas get along.  There are some real reasons for optimism right now as a Jet fan.  My biggest immediate concern is that Douglas brings in OL (at least a center) to protect Darnold this year.  If Sam gets hurt then the whole plan could easily go up in smoke.

I agree. A you probably know I was one of the more vocal supporters of retaining Macc. Not because I loved him or what he did, but because I felt that stability was most important for a franchise like ours especially with a young FQB like Darnold. I also saw a bit more progress than most with his team building and all of that. This was one of the better offseason we had and other than blowing the OL possibilities in this draft we have a pretty good roster. I also feared who the "next guy" would be and that we would all have to endure another first timer learning on the job etc. That all said, I am happy that he is gone and it seems like we have implemented a real plan here. I was very nervous with the timing of the firing and I struggled to see the overall plan. 

Over the past few weeks, after I spoke my part of how negative giving Gase the reigns could be, I've come to the conclusion that if we are going to have any chance to succeed here, it's going to have to be all in on Gase. All Gase. All Day! 

Douglas fits that bill and I absolutely love the move. I'm on board 100%.  I agree with you that the 6 yrs at $3.3 mil is a boat load of security and gives him the feeling that he is the big man on campus. I still have problems with the supporting structure and that we don't have a real football president but we are on the right path.  CJ is coming around the mountain here and who knows what the future holds for us. The future has a bright potential and if Gase can actually coach we are in pretty good shape to build this team into a real contender. 

THe OL thing is a big one and I was blown away with our D heavy draft. I have hope for Polite and think he can be a steal at a position of need, but I still would have preferred a C or T there.  I like Wesco a lot but still would have preferred a C or T there. Cashman might be a nice player but I would have much preferred we didn't dance around the 4th rd with so many trades and just taken Jordan, Pierschbacher or Froholdt. You nail the biggest potential issue on our team. If Darnold gets hurt the whole plan can deteriorate instantly. 

I'm excited and look forward to who the staff he brings in is. I'm looking for Kelly, Savage and maybe even one of the TV guys that have been mentioned to come on board. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobR said:

This is what I've been saying since it broke before the draft. It makes zero sense to fire your GM when we did, if you didn't have somebody already set to take over the position. Obviously the Jets did and that credit should go to CJ. I'm also guessing the Texans already have someone under contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas was behind every move since Lee got shipped out including that trade. .

I think Lee's ouster was a combination of Greg Robinson telling Gase to get this powder-puff girl out of Florham Park, Gase showing the world that he is a very "decisive" guy, and a message to the the players and remaining staff not to get too comfy with mediocrity. If Douglas was in on it, then fine,  all agreed that Lee was garbage and not worth more than a 5th round pick.  Even the 6th that we got.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

This is primarily because of the forced marriages the Jets generally operate under. Last actual team was probably Mangini and Tannenbaum, until Tanny threw the alleged genius under the bus to keep his gig. So that lasted, really, maybe just that first year. 

The reporting structure on the Jets continues to be a divisive force. Having the head coach and GM as co-equals can put them at odds. When the coach is looking to win today to save his job and the GM is looking to save money for the future, there can be problems. You know Bowles didn't love Maccagnan being $100M under the cap while he was there only to watch him burn thru it with Gase. 

For this hire, I'm allowing myself some optimism. This is clearly, 100%, the guy they wanted from the start, and they got him. This is Gase's pick for GM, and the Jets wouldn't've landed a fish this big without Gase's input. Yet, they gave Douglas a lot of power, the money he asked for, and a six-year deal - which is the longest deal I recall this team ever signing anyone for. Douglas may be Gase's man, but he's clearly not his patsy (as some were concerned about). Gase is gonna have to do his job, and do it well, if he's gonna see the end of Douglas' deal. Gase will have to be on the same page as Douglas more than the other way around, because he's not forcing out a second GM. So while they still have their idiotic organizational chart, Douglas is the de facto new boss. As the GM should be. The men know each other well and presumably share a vision of how to build a team, though. 

Lots of excitement in Jetland. Looking forward to seeing this team under Gase, and then looking forward to seeing an offseason with a well-respected GM running the show. Can't wait for the mini-draft! 

Bravo.  This is the post I would choose to sum up my reaction to all of the front office changes that have taken place.  Thanks for stating it so very well, man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Bellichik was not too bad of a move either.  He just left. 

I get your point though . 😃 

Belichick does not count. Period.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jethead said:

1. Weeb Eubanks (has THE Ring)

2. Parcells

3. Douglas (I hope)

ehhhhhh Weeb. ehhhh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

 

I'm excited and look forward to who the staff he brings in is. I'm looking for Kelly, Savage and maybe even one of the TV guys that have been mentioned to come on board. 

Kelly is under contract no? So any offer needs to be a promotion correct. Savage is free to sign but would he be interested in a position under Douglas and Kelly. Just asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Kelly is under contract no? So any offer needs to be a promotion correct. Savage is free to sign but would he be interested in a position under Douglas and Kelly. Just asking.

Kelly is an assistant Director of Player Personnel.  He can be offered the Director position and it would be a promotion. Chicago can refuse in the same way any team can refuse to allow they staff to speak to other teams I'm pretty sure. I don't think they would though. If they did refuse it would just be seen as stopping a guy from moving up. he would then be a discontent if he actually wanted take a promotion and they stopped him. Savage is sitting at home right now. I would bet he'd at least consider the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Kelly is an assistant Director of Player Personnel.  He can be offered the Director position and it would be a promotion. Chicago can refuse in the same way any team can refuse to allow they staff to speak to other teams I'm pretty sure. I don't think they would though. If they did refuse it would just be seen as stopping a guy from moving up. he would then be a discontent if he actually wanted take a promotion and they stopped him. Savage is sitting at home right now. I would bet he'd at least consider the job.

Kelly has already intervened for the Jets. Gase and Douglas have a connection was Kelly involved with the two at some point? Yes I realize Kelly’s interview was for GM can there be a carryover from that. Savage might be interested just not sure his ego would permit it, just might sit sit the season out . Houston is a possible landing spot with a bigger role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Kelly has already intervened for the Jets. Gase and Douglas have a connection was Kelly involved with the two at some point? Yes I realize Kelly’s interview was for GM can there be a carryover from that. Savage might be interested just not sure his ego would permit it, just might sit sit the season out . Houston is a possible landing spot with a bigger role.

I'm pretty sure Kelly was with the Bears when Douglas and Gase were. They have all worked together before as a unit.  That could be a positive. Don't know how well they got along or what Douglas thinks of Kelly, but the history is there.  Kelly interviewed for a GM position, but I'm sure they can offer the Director job if they want to.  Just say they thought he was more well suited for the Director position at this time based on the interview. It would be a coup if we landed two of the 4 guys we interviewed. 

Savage was a GM for the AAF before they went belly up. I would think he took that job because his phone wasn't ringing with NFL GM positions.  Savage had an interesting record with the Browns but has tons of experience and a relationship with Douglas.  You could be right that his ego may not let him take a lower job, but I'd say that taking the AAF GM job already acted as the ego deflator. I think he'd be ripe for an opportunity to get back into the league. 

The Houston situation is interesting. I really think Macc has an opportunity to land the job. He had a pretty good offseason and has 5 drafts under his belt as a GM. That could be attractive to them. Time will tell. I'll be keeping an eye on that one.  Savage could be a potential candidate there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully the Jets are smart enough to do the full dog and pony presser with CJ, Gase, and Douglas while allowing actual questions and showing everyone is great and on the same page. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm pretty sure Kelly was with the Bears when Douglas and Gase were. They have all worked together before as a unit.  That could be a positive. Don't know how well they got along or what Douglas thinks of Kelly, but the history is there.  Kelly interviewed for a GM position, but I'm sure they can offer the Director job if they want to.  Just say they thought he was more well suited for the Director position at this time based on the interview. It would be a coup if we landed two of the 4 guys we interviewed. 

Savage was a GM for the AAF before they went belly up. I would think he took that job because his phone wasn't ringing with NFL GM positions.  Savage had an interesting record with the Browns but has tons of experience and a relationship with Douglas.  You could be right that his ego may not let him take a lower job, but I'd say that taking the AAF GM job already acted as the ego deflator. I think he'd be ripe for an opportunity to get back into the league. 

The Houston situation is interesting. I really think Macc has an opportunity to land the job. He had a pretty good offseason and has 5 drafts under his belt as a GM. That could be attractive to them. Time will tell. I'll be keeping an eye on that one.  Savage could be a potential candidate there too. 

Thanks for responding. Macc to Houston is interesting for Jets fans just not sure how it is to the Houston organization and it’s fans. Those 5 drafts at least 4 have a lot of negativity to them not just locally but nationally. Houston fans know the name and history.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles will be fine, so long as Wentz stays healthy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RobR said:

The best part about the Douglas hire is he will put together a scouting team like the Jets have never had and we'll see it shortly. Precisely the reason why I said he was already a done deal a month ago.....yet all of the naysayers are miraculously absent tonight. 

Douglas was adamant about the dollars they spent in Philly when they took him aboard and nothing changed here We now have an owner that not only had a strategic plan but also executed it. When has that ever happened as a Jets fan?

 

Thank you so many fans don't get it.

But trust me long term Jets fans understand precisely what you are saying.

The Jets hiring competent grown ups as foundational organizational pieces is simply unheard of and the fact that they are now doing the very thing that GREAT organizations do should make us all feel and sleep more comfortably with this team.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for responding. Macc to Houston is interesting for Jets fans just not sure how it is to the Houston organization and it’s fans. Those 5 drafts at least 4 have a lot of negativity to them not just locally but nationally. Houston fans know the name and history.

I’m not so sure macc is a despised league wide as he is here. The last few seasons of trading for darnold, the Sheldon trade, KO trade, Henry Anderson trade, Bell, Mosely, ADams and finding Anderson in the udfa pool etc could be enough to show he is coming around the mountain. Not sure. I’m happier with our current situation, but ya never know how other teams view the Jets turn around.

Either way the Texans will do the interviews and I’ll be interested to see who they bring in. Let’s see if they request to speak with Paton from the Vikes and how that goes.
They may consider Kelly too which could put an end to the thoughts of him coming on board with us.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, southtown24th said:

1. Parcells

2. Douglas

Parcells was great short term. Left the Jets in cap hell, pushed belichick to leave possibility and definitely caused the Jets to miss out on Peyton Manning tho long term.  Had the Jets drafted Manning Belichick doesn't leave. But regardless of all that, this was a fantastic hire for the Jets!! Douglas hopefully is a great as we all hear and hope he is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you so many fans don't get it.

But trust me long term Jets fans understand precisely what you are saying.

The Jets hiring competent grown ups as foundational organizational pieces is simply unheard of and the fact that they are now doing the very thing that GREAT organizations do should make us all feel and sleep more comfortably with this team.

As many have noted, the only other time I can remember like this was when Parcells was hired -- and that move came when we were in the lowest state we've ever been in and it immediately made us competitive for almost 15 years.  This included 3 AFC Championship Game appearances.  We just couldn't break through that last wall to make it to our 2nd Super Bowl.  Here's hoping JD and SD will be the difference this time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...