There. I Said It. New York Jets - 2019 AFC East Division Champions

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

.500 for this roster would be about right. The Jets are a blown ACL to Bell or an injury to Darnold to the #1 pick. Plus, I don’t think Gase is the real deal. His offenses in Miami were unimpressive, at best. 

Gase hopefully learned from his mistakes and the NY Jets roster is way better than the one he had in Miami. 

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

They just missed the playoffs last year. Steelers fire saled their roster and the Ravens have a running back playing QB. The Browns added more top tier talent in the off season then the next two teams combined. Bunch of lunatics? Yes, but if it gels? They are gonna be tough. Baker Mayfield aka @Villain The Foe baby boy boo is the real deal. 

The Browns will be Kings of the North!

No question

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

.500 for this roster would be about right. The Jets are a blown ACL to Bell or an injury to Darnold to the #1 pick. Plus, I don’t think Gase is the real deal. His offenses in Miami were unimpressive, at best. 

A blown ACL to Brady and where would the Pats be this season? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

This team isn't ready to take the division maybe a wild card if they are lucky?

This team isn't ready at all, because they are still missing a few pieces that need to be addressed. Just because the Jets have Darnold and signed Bell off of free agency it doesn't mean the team is going to take over the Patriots this year. There are a few questions going into the season on the offense mainly the oline. Can the oline protect Darnold and open holes for Bell? Can Harrison be a reliable center on the Oline? Can the oline last the whole season without any major injury? Can Quincy Enunwa stay healthy as well as the WR's? Then you have the defense with its own questions as well. Did they find the edge rusher they've been looking for in Polite? Will they find a suitable CB? The final issue the Jets don't have a favorable schedule!!!

The Jets need to play smart football, What still kills the Jets is the mistakes like the penalties by both the offense and defense. Every penalty either knocks them out of scoring or kill drives. This has been a major problem and it was never corrected by the previous coaches. 

Right now at best, the Jets are a .500 team 8-8, with a few holes that still need to be addressed.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Home Opener - W versus Bills - They will be well prepared for Josh Allen and his running tactics. Contain and win

Browns on Monday night - W - With a rookie HC on Monday night for an away game I see the Jets winning a close game by a field goal

@ Pats - W - Pats suck in September...  great to have them in the beginning of the year for once

@ Eagles - L - Just a better team, of course anything can happen but this is a loss unless something drastic changes

Cowboys - W - Zeke is all they got... With a one dimensional offense and a great run stopping Def... Dak would have to be great to win this game and I don't see that happening

Pats - L - They lose to the Pats here

@ Jags - W - Foles... is not good... Fournette is fat and overrated. Without the Eagles staff Foles will flop.

5-2

It's been 4 years since the Jets won more than 5 games, now you have them winning 5 of 7?  This is a pretty aggressive, even for the homers on the board.

9 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

How do you see them..in wins or losses..no detail..just W or L...

Bills (W)
Browns (L)
@ Patriots (L)
@ Eagles (L)
Cowboys (L)
Patriots (L)
@ Jaguars (W)

2-5.  Maybe we beat Cowboys or Eagles, but maybe we lose to Jags.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Bills (W)
Browns (W)
@ Patriots (L)
@ Eagles (L)
Cowboys (W)
Patriots (W)
@ Jaguars (W)

I see it that way.  Split with the Pats.  Split with Dallas/Philly.  Beat the 3 AFC teams we will be favored against (Jax will be 2-5) and who weren't that much better than we were last year.  Win all our home games.  Go 1-3 on the road.

SAR I

Last season we got destroyed by the Pats 65-16 over the two games, now we're splitting with them?  We will not be favored against the Browns either.  Do you remember the game last year?  Outside of our defense embarrassing Tyriod, there wasn't a lot of positives.  Mayfield came in and trounced us.  They're simply a better team than us.  Jax added Foles, that will matter.  But, I'd call it winnable.  Dallas added Cooper and won 7/8 to end the season.  Maybe we can have some success against Elliot, but how do you suppose our terrible defensive backfield can stop the passing game?

For the record, I think this team is better than 2-5.  However, who you play matters, and our early schedule is not favorable at all.  I see a slow start (record-wise), with a stronger finish, but probably no playoffs.

11 minutes ago, AL047 said:

This team isn't ready to take the division maybe a wild card if they are lucky?

This team isn't ready at all, because they are still missing a few pieces that need to be addressed. Just because the Jets have Darnold and signed Bell off of free agency it doesn't mean the team is going to take over the Patriots this year. There are a few questions going into the season on the offense mainly the oline. Can the oline protect Darnold and open holes for Bell? Can Harrison be a reliable center on the Oline? Can the oline last the whole season without any major injury? Can Quincy Enunwa stay healthy as well as the WR's? Then you have the defense with its own questions as well. Did they find the edge rusher they've been looking for in Polite? Will they find a suitable CB? The final issue the Jets don't have a favorable schedule!!!

The Jets need to play smart football, What still kills the Jets is the mistakes like the penalties by both the offense and defense. Every penalty either knocks them out of scoring or kill drives. This has been a major problem and it was never corrected by the previous coaches. 

Right now at best, the Jets are a .500 team 8-8, with a few holes that still need to be addressed.

I can see us being a 10-6 team if everything breaks right (though I think between 7-9 to 9-7 is more likely). But that’s not going to win the division unless the Pats really fall off.  In addition, I think the Bills are on the way up this year as well so we’re going to have competition for the top perch, even if the Pats do fall off. 

55 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's been 4 years since the Jets won more than 5 games, now you have them winning 5 of 7?  This is a pretty aggressive, even for the homers on the board.

Bills (W)
Browns (L)
@ Patriots (L)
@ Eagles (L)
Cowboys (L)
Patriots (L)
@ Jaguars (W)

2-5.  Maybe we beat Cowboys or Eagles, but maybe we lose to Jags.

Last season we got destroyed by the Pats 65-16 over the two games, now we're splitting with them?  We will not be favored against the Browns either.  Do you remember the game last year?  Outside of our defense embarrassing Tyriod, there wasn't a lot of positives.  Mayfield came in and trounced us.  They're simply a better team than us.  Jax added Foles, that will matter.  But, I'd call it winnable.  Dallas added Cooper and won 7/8 to end the season.  Maybe we can have some success against Elliot, but how do you suppose our terrible defensive backfield can stop the passing game?

For the record, I think this team is better than 2-5.  However, who you play matters, and our early schedule is not favorable at all.  I see a slow start (record-wise), with a stronger finish, but probably no playoffs.

Why compare to last year... new coaches... they have upgraded or stayed the same at every position and have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL... 5-2 should easily be obtainable... people are putting too much stock in the terrible coaching they have had the last 4 years... Means nothing... 

I based my W/L on what I think is achievable and your response is .... they won 5 or less games the last 3 years... Who cares.. that doesn't mean jack sh*t... nearly every position has improved since last year and 3 aggressive coaches that are hungry for wins... A team that is starved for wins with great leaders.  Mosley is going to go down as one of the greatest acquisitions this organization has bought in FA... No matter the cost... He alone would bring wins by not allowing the stupid shallow cross 3 plays in a row to let Jags score a TD... 

Bell is the best weapon this team has seen since Keshawn...

Darnold is a hungry young player eager to learn with a future HOF RB, a fast WR that can burn, a possession WR that doesn't drop passes (yes he fumbles), and an up and coming all around TE...

I can't wait to see what Q and Polite can add... 

Sure they have holes... but as I have outlined... 

Bills (No way that they take the home opener)

Browns (People are underestimating the learning process of a Rookie HC) playing on MNF in an away game

Pats (Rarely win in September period)

Eagles (I think that unless something drastic changes Jets will have a tough time winning this)

Cowboys (1 sided offense against the defensive strength of this team)

Pats (They can't win twice but should be able to take one of the 2)

Jags (Are going to start falling apart when Foles starts throwing to ghosts)

Its not hard to see how they can win these games

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

The cheaters have a much easier finish. 

You can’t deny it with any credibility 

Jets:  Baltimore is a tough game, we beat Buffalo in Buffalo last year with a far lesser team, the Steelers are a rebuild and will be mailing it in while Le'Veon walks all over them.

Pats:  Texans had the same record as the Pats last year and won their division, Kansas City looks to be a Super Bowl juggernaut, and Buffalo will be playing hard to keep their scant playoff hopes alive.

So the Jets face 1 playoff team (beatable Baltimore) and the Pats face 2 playoff teams (Texans, Chiefs).  Because Brady is Brady I call it a draw, but to say the Jets have a very difficult last 5 games is inaccurate.

SAR I

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Gase hopefully learned from his mistakes and the NY Jets roster is way better than the one he had in Miami. 

Gase was in charge of the roster in Miami. What cosch after being fired from one team that hopped to another team immediately had any success at all?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

A blown ACL to Brady and where would the Pats be this season? 

They made the playoffs one year with Matt Cassell. Brady isn’t the end all and be all for that team. 

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

The Browns will be Kings of the North!

No question

browns.jpg

At 8-8 or 9-7 they can win the division, but they're not some superteam.  They're the Browns for cripesakes.

Rookie head coach hand-picked by a millennial juvenile quarterback and a lockerroom full of selfish superstars on their last contract?  Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?  A 1-6 start to the season, that's what.

ATTN JN:  Stop buying into the gobs of Browns hype whilst ignoring the Jets improvements right under your nose.  Just like Manish and Cimini were dead-wrong in the hysterical media about the Jets 'dysfunction', so too are the other talking heads who think the Cleveland Browns are AFC elites.  Thanks. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AL047 said:

The final issue the Jets don't have a favorable schedule!!!

nyjeasy.jpg

Stop buying into this "hard schedule" nonsense. 

5 games against playoff teams. 

11 games against non-playoff teams. 

10 games against teams with losing records.

3 games against teams with clearly superior head coaches.

3 games against teams with terrifying quarterbacks.

2 games against teams with terrifying running backs.

1 game against a team with a terrifying defense (if that).

0 games in oppressive Florida weather.

0 games in West Coast time zones.

0 games in noisy domes.

1 challenging back-to-back road game combo.

This schedule isn't tough.  If we play to our potential, there are 10 losers out there to beat and only 1 or 2 upsets needed to win the division.  It's the easiest schedule from a competitive, travel, and sequencing standpoint that I can remember in the last 15 years.

SAR I

• Sympathy 2

Sam Darnold is the key.

I think competing for a wildcard is more realistic this year, but if Sam takes his game to a top 5 or top 10 level, anything is possible.

This team is young and hungry. I think the no nonsense demeanors of Gase and Williams are going to go a long way with this team.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty, Smith, and a rookie Darnold under the worst head coach we've had in 20 years was quite a handicap.  And remember, last year we had a ridiculous 3 games in 9 days, and Darnold put up big points the Colts and Broncos and played like a stud the last 1/4 of the season when returning from injury.  This year we've loaded up on O and D and have an experienced coaching staff commanding the locker room.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

The first game against the Pats Josh McCown started and the second was a mail-in game in Week 17, hardly a strong datapoint.  Gregg Williams might know a thing or two about how to stop Baker Mayfield in a raucous MetLife Stadium in our Stealth Blacks.  Jax will be 2-5 by the time we get there, their schedule is brutal.  Dallas and Philly I feel a split, could be wrong, but the NFC East is always a yo-yo, every year the good teams go south, crapshoot, but we're home for Dallas and I think we make par.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Last year, 4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams didn't make the playoffs the year before.  The year prior, 3 of the 6 AFC playoff teams didn't make the playoffs the year before.  And every year it's the same-  3 or 4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams are new to the tournament.

Tell me, what non-playoff teams from last year will stand in our way this year?  We don't need to be better than the AFC elite to make the playoffs, we just need to edge out the AFC fringe.  For fun, let's say we have to go the wildcard route and let's give the divisions to these teams:  Patriots, Colts, Browns, Chiefs.

We just have to be Top 2 in this mix:

Jets
Ravens
Texans
Titans
Chargers

In that group, I think we have the third-best quarterback.  I think we have the third-best defense.  I think we have the second-best head coach.  Chargers have to play the Chiefs twice and face the AFC South and NFC North, tough outs.  Titans/Texans/Colts is an inter-division bloodbath.  Jets can take care of business against the Ravens and help themselves.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Gase was in charge of the roster in Miami. What cosch after being fired from one team that hopped to another team immediately had any success at all?

In the history of the NFL, every head coach that has jumped from Miami to New York has never lost a game in September or October.

SAR I

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They made the playoffs one year with Matt Cassell. Brady isn’t the end all and be all for that team. 

Shanahan? Gruden? What does what others have done have to do with Gase?  Unless you have an actual reason why its impossible.  

Yes, an experienced decent at worst QB won.  Who on the current roster fits that bill?  And Brady is their best player, until hes not then hes at least in the discussion for end all, be all.  

• Upvote 1

Last year, 4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams didn't make the playoffs the year before.  The year prior, 3 of the 6 AFC playoff teams didn't make the playoffs the year before.  And every year it's the same-  3 or 4 of the 6 AFC playoff teams are new to the tournament.
Tell me, what non-playoff teams from last year will stand in our way this year?  We don't need to be better than the AFC elite to make the playoffs, we just need to edge out the AFC fringe.  For fun, let's say we have to go the wildcard route and let's give the divisions to these teams:  Patriots, Colts, Browns, Chiefs.
We just have to be Top 2 in this mix:
Jets
Ravens
Texans
Titans
Chargers
In that group, I think we have the third-best quarterback.  I think we have the third-best defense.  I think we have the second-best head coach.  Chargers have to play the Chiefs twice and face the AFC South and NFC North, tough outs.  Titans/Texans/Colts is an inter-division bloodbath.  Jets can take care of business against the Ravens and help themselves.
SAR I

I like your optimism & thinking. But you have to at least mention the Steelers in this afc fringe. I do believe the Jets are on the verge of some memorable sh1t, who knows maybe it will come a year earlier than expected. That would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Ravens
Texans
Titans
Chargers

In that group, I think we have the third-best quarterback. 

SAR I

Rivers
Mariota
Jackson
Watson

I see Sam as the 2nd best out of that group and he could easily outplay Rivers. He is going to take a huge step forward under Gase's offensive scheme. The addition of Bell, Crowder, Herndon's 2nd year and Quincy running routes other than WR screens gives the Jets a good chance to put a dynamic high scoring offense on the field.

One huge key will be if Harrison can play at a serviceable level. When Sam came back last year after the injury his game improved  a lot and that was due to him not having to play shortstop while fielding the snap.

A WC spot this season is certainly possible but I think next year will be our chance to play with the big boys and take the division, even with a tougher schedule. I expect Douglas to address the OL, CB and WR1 in next years draft and FA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Change always brings some optimism and hope.

I am cautious to anoint them as AFCE champs but think progress will be made and see 9-7 as a possibility which would satisfy me. The following season should be even better.

Why should anyone be satisfied with 9-7? That’s a notch above mediocre. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

browns.jpg

At 8-8 or 9-7 they can win the division, but they're not some superteam.  They're the Browns for cripesakes.

Rookie head coach hand-picked by a millennial juvenile quarterback and a lockerroom full of selfish superstars on their last contract?  Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?  A 1-6 start to the season, that's what.

ATTN JN:  Stop buying into the gobs of Browns hype whilst ignoring the Jets improvements right under your nose.  Just like Manish and Cimini were dead-wrong in the hysterical media about the Jets 'dysfunction', so too are the other talking heads who think the Cleveland Browns are AFC elites.  Thanks. 

SAR I

So I take it that this 1 win will be against the Jets? ?

Seriously though...that's a brutal first half of the season.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

The antidote for an average OL is a two-step and throw quick-strike passing game off of designed rollouts, something our QB excels at and our new receiving targets are known for.  I'm taking Bell and Powell in fantasy football, going to kill it.

SAR I

And that will work - FOR A WHILE. Eventually the defense is living in your backfield and hitting every receiver you have in the mouth the VERY second you snap the ball. When it comes to the OL, you get what you pay for. The Jets front office, under the direction of an incompetent dumb ass , low balled and always took the cheap way out of the OL. Therefore, we will have an inadequate OL. The running game will suffer and Sammy will not have enough time and that will cost a young AN who desperately needs time for proper development.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Shanahan? Gruden? What does what others have done have to do with Gase?  Unless you have an actual reason why its impossible.  

Yes, an experienced decent at worst QB won.  Who on the current roster fits that bill?  And Brady is their best player, until hes not then hes at least in the discussion for end all, be all.  

You just throwing out coaches names or do you have actual facts and stats to back that up? Gase is supposed to be an offensive guru but his offense in Miami was bottom half of the league. 

My point is the Jets are weak in many areas still and they lack depth at key positions. This isn’t a playoff team yet. 

• Upvote 1

It's always about Brady in New England. 

The Patriots have a really well coached Oline. But the Jets match up everywhere else next year. 

Darnold vs Brady- Its all about pushing Brady off his spot, you know he's not running.

Bell vs Michel

Quincy/Crowder/Anderson vs Edelman/Thomas/Rookie - Thomas is done (slow-bad hands), Edelman is 33 and has had at least 3/4 concussions, Nkeal is a rookie & the Pats offense is complicated. Jets should have the edge here early in the season. 

Herndon vs Watson - advantage Herndon

Jets defense vs Pats defense- KC rolled points on them, they just had a slow start & their own defense was horrific. The Rams lost Kupp, Gurley fell off a cliff & they were trying to win a Super Bowl with 2 smurfs in Cook & Woods. 

Outside of the #1 CB (Gilmore) the Pats are no better than the Jets in any other position & we don't know if Gregg Williams will turn Trumaine around?. Adams + Maye are equal to McCourty + Chung. Roberts is equal to Jason McCourty. And the Jets are better at LB & Dline with Flowers signing with Detroit. 

It comes down to Darnold scoring ENOUGH points. The Pats haven't had to worry about the Jets offense in 8 years. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SAR I said:

greateight.jpg

I look at this roster, I look at this coaching staff, I look at this front office, and I look at this owner and you know what, I believe that this is the year we take a bold step.  Not next year.  This year.

Call me crazy, but I think the Patriots are there for the taking right now.  And I think that for whatever reason, the Jets as a franchise responds to change better than any organization in the NFL, each time we get a new coach and a new culture it creates a spark and pushes this team beyond its limits.  Experienced head coach, Darnold in Year 2, big-play offense, Bell ripping easy yardage on swing passes, Adams and Mosely killing it on D under Williams' psychotic direction, excellent special teams, and a favorable schedule.

We need to get off to a strong start, 4-1 looks doable leading to a Week 7 showdown at home against the Patriots in a fired-up MetLife Stadium on the highest rated MNF broadcast in decades.  Patriots take a step back, Jets take a step up, we win the Division at 11-5 on tiebreakers, hats and t-shirts for everyone.

SAR I

with you on this.  the jets are not as bad as the naysayers say.  this team historically performs well for their new coaches and gase/williams is the best coaching pair going back to parcells/bellichicken.  imo they're going to do well.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You just throwing out coaches names or do you have actual facts and stats to back that up? Gase is supposed to be an offensive guru but his offense in Miami was bottom half of the league. 

My point is the Jets are weak in many areas still and they lack depth at key positions. This isn’t a playoff team yet. 

You keep going back to one team, three seasons out of an entire body of work. 

Record season in Denver, nope, skip that historic season.  Ringing enforcement from Manning, nah.  Getting so much more out Cutler etc in Chicago, nope.  Hell, playoffs in Denver with a win playing Tebow.  Showed nothing. Playoffs in Miami with his QB going down and Mat Moore at QB in year one showed less.  Playoff hunt until the end with Osweiller?  So what offensive stats weren't top of the league so not impressed. 

Only things that registers in the narrow view is that with his starting QB, a 4k passer, 27 td-14 int type QB missing most of the 3 seasons and Miamis stats aren't impressive with scrubs. 

And of course that's the end all be all way to decide if he has a chance to be a decent or better HC. Gotcha

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1