There. I Said It. New York Jets - 2019 AFC East Division Champions

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I think the Douglas hire is all about the Jets competing against the Bills and Dolphins with Darnold until the Patriots replace Brady. 

The Patriots will ride Brady until he crashes.  It will crash, but likely not this year. 

Hiring a GM after FA and the Draft is not going fix a team in the current year.  I feel very good about the Jets in 2020.  Douglas is too late for 2019 with this roster. 

Ever watch the Godfather?

Maccagnan was Tom Hagen and he did a decent job as a placeholding scout when the Jets were a pathetic rebuilding team. 

Now that the rebuild is over, we need a wartime Consigliere.  Joe Douglas was our man.  So we whacked Tom and brought in Rocco when the opening was there for the taking and we were his only option, literally creating an offer he could not refuse.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

r433341_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Methinks we may have a slightly ornery defensive coordinator who knows a thing or two about the Browns and has a blood vendetta against one Baker Mayfield.

Bountygate 2.0 - It's Personal This Time.

I must be the only one that remembers that Gregg Williams was the Cleveland Browns head coach and went 5-2 to finish the season and then was unceremoniously sh!t-canned for the whiny millennial QB's cherished offensive coordinator.  The Jets defense is going to destroy the Browns.  Baker Mayfield will be having nightmares in black and green for the rest of the season.

SAR I

If Mayfield gets time it  could  get ugly.

5 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

If Mayfield gets time it  could  get ugly.

If Darnold gets time it could get ugly.

The Browns lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL this offseason, a Super Bowl-winning interim head coach too, one that rallied, motivated, and led a dysfunctional Hue Jackson catastrophe to a 5-2 finish. 

Pity he's not on the Cleveland sidelines when they need him in MetLife.  He he he.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maccagnan was Tom Hagen and he did a decent job as a placeholding scout when the Jets were a pathetic rebuilding team. 

Now that the rebuild is over, we need a wartime Consigliere.  Joe Douglas was our man.  So we whacked Tom and brought in Rocco when the opening was there for the taking and we were his only option, literally creating an offer he could not refuse.

SAR I

Most ironic Holy Communion ever. 

Denounce Satan whilst your men kill all your enemies. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

True, tough task... not impossible I have in previous discussions listed off about 20 teams that have made the leap from below 5 wins to over 10 in a single season... It happens more often then most people realize.  I think the Jets are a huge dark horse this year while everyone is kissing Mayfield's toes...  

Dark horse doesn't mean we win 12 games.  9 is possible.  10 is a stretch, but also possible. 

But 12?  Our last 12-win season was 1998.  And it was the only 12-win season in franchise history. 

The Patriots have had 8 seasons of 12+ wins this decade

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dark horse doesn't mean we win 12 games.  9 is possible.  10 is a stretch, but also possible. 

But 12?  Our last 12-win season was 1998.  And it was the only 12-win season in franchise history. 

The Patriots have had 8 seasons of 12+ wins this decade

Dark Horse, no it doesn't mean 12 games but they can... I am just saying there is almost one team per year to make such a vast turn around.  It is possible and I think the Jets can be the Dark Horse to do it this year... 12 games in a weak schedule is not impossible. Not saying it is likely but it is possible. The Jets 10 win season with Bowles should have been 12+ wins... people forget how close a few of those games were that Fitz blew... That was a weak schedule and This team is much better then that team...

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Darnold gets time it could get ugly.

The Browns lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the NFL this offseason, a Super Bowl-winning interim head coach too, one that rallied, motivated, and led a dysfunctional Hue Jackson catastrophe to a 5-2 finish. 

Pity he's not on the Cleveland sidelines when they need him in MetLife.  He he he.

SAR I

Obj back in NY looking to prove something, and Landry is better the Obj, we'll see.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You just described the 2009 and 2010 New York Jets who had a new head coach, a massive culture change, a locker-room enema, and a bunch of known-quantity veteran free agent signings all the way to within 60 minutes of the Super Bowl.

This team can win now.  So too can 20 other NFL teams.  But we aren't a rebuilding team anymore.  We're 8-8 right now and the sky's the limit.

SAR I

Except that team had a good offensive line and a secondary. This team has a below average both. The Jets are a 5 win team until they prove it different. 8-8 would be a successful building block. Not see Gase can get this team there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Except that team had a good offensive line and a secondary. This team has a below average both. The Jets are a 5 win team until they prove it different. 8-8 would be a successful building block. Not see Gase can get this team there. 

Offensive line was not below average last season. 

And they should be better with changes, Darnold being more experienced, hopefully better and healthier WRs and what Bell. Brings to the offense.

Keep thinking they're a 5 win team.  That nothing has really changed with the roster, CS etc

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Didn't say you did. It's a question.

And I tried to answer it.  Wasn't criticizing it.  I think they're close enough until proven differently that with better coaching we arent that far apart and have no chance at home on MNF

18 hours ago, AL047 said:

This team isn't ready to take the division maybe a wild card if they are lucky?

This team isn't ready at all, because they are still missing a few pieces that need to be addressed. Just because the Jets have Darnold and signed Bell off of free agency it doesn't mean the team is going to take over the Patriots this year. There are a few questions going into the season on the offense mainly the oline. Can the oline protect Darnold and open holes for Bell? Can Harrison be a reliable center on the Oline? Can the oline last the whole season without any major injury? Can Quincy Enunwa stay healthy as well as the WR's? Then you have the defense with its own questions as well. Did they find the edge rusher they've been looking for in Polite? Will they find a suitable CB? The final issue the Jets don't have a favorable schedule!!!

The Jets need to play smart football, What still kills the Jets is the mistakes like the penalties by both the offense and defense. Every penalty either knocks them out of scoring or kill drives. This has been a major problem and it was never corrected by the previous coaches. 

Right now at best, the Jets are a .500 team 8-8, with a few holes that still need to be addressed.

All good points, and unlike so many others on this board, you do not just assume Darnold is going to become an elite FQB.

He is the biggest and most important question mark regarding whether the Jets become a playoff team and a team which can win a championship. I've never seen the fans of any NY sports team have such a firm belief in an unproven player the way Jet fans have in Darnold. They cling to the promise of 3 games, ignoring all the other struggles he had during his rookie season.

I want to believe all of you are right about him, but I look at him and see a kid who went from the consensus #1 pick after his sophomore season to one where his play fell off his final year at USC so much he was then lumped in with the other 3 top QB prospects in the '18 draft. The smartest GM in the game chose Mayfield over him, and has so far been proven correct for doing so. 

My point is that "feelings" aside, Darnold was a bottom tier QB last year. This year he needs to take that big step forward the good ones do in their second year. I'm expecting him to have a good year statistically, with plenty of short completions to Bell and Crowder. However, a high completion pct in a dink and dunk offense won't prove a lot. He needs to show the ability to protect the ball, and affect the outcome of games in a positive way this year if the Jets want to have a winning season.

As so many here like to say, "it's all about Sam."

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Browns are the all hype team just like the 2011 eagles... How did that turn out

I don't recall, I got distracted  by their 6 division championships,  9 playoff appearances, and 6 NFC appearances under Reid, and a SB appearance.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

...or we commit 1 or 2 TE's to the OL and let Sam swing pass to daylight a-la Sanchez to Tomlinson circa 2010.

I agree that the OL needs help (CB is probably just as needy) but there are ways to roll out and strike quickly to neutralize pass rushers up the middle.  We don't play any elite defenses and we only play a few legit quarterbacks.  If we can put up 27 a game we're going to do just fine.  And I think we can.

SAR I

When was the last time the Jets averaged 27 points a game. Have they ever had that formidable of an offense. You make it sound like it is so easy? 27 points for this team this year is a pipe dream.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

When was the last time the Jets averaged 27 points a game. Have they ever had that formidable of an offense. You make it sound like it is so easy? 27 points for this team this year is a pipe dream.

The only time the Jets have ever averaged at least 27 PPG on O was 1968, that was also our only SB season.  Hopefully we have another soon, asking for that in 2019 may be a bit of a stretch.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gimme a fukkin break. MAC was FREDO, banging cocktail waitresses two at a time and couldn’t figure out how to order  a banana  Daquari.    FREDO was at the airport picking up HACK when real GMs we’re building an Oline and drafting Mahommes and Watson.   

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

I could see us being 1-3 against the NFCeast...That division is a tough division on any given Sunday, no real ducks.

The last 2 times the Giants won the SB, we were in a position to knock them out but lost both games.   we never play well against the NFC East. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’m just hoping for a winning season. Our CB’s and offensive line just aren’t good enough.

Also, for what it’s worth, every other fan base has us pencilled in as last place in the division. 

I find that hard to believe when Miami is the favorite to get the top pick. Where are you seeing that every other fanbase has us as last in the division? 3rd I get because buffalo has improved just as much as we have. 2nd I get as well. 1st and 4th ehh.

11 hours ago, nyjunc said:

If Brady finally looks his age or gets hurt I think we have an excellent shot at the division.  If Brady is close to normal then we wouldn't have a shot.

Why?  A perfectly healthy Tom Brady only managed to go 11-5 last year, and all 5 losses were against weak non-playoff teams.

It's not so much that the Patriots take a step back; it's that the Jets finally take a step up. 

SAR I

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The need for a good offensive line is minimized when you have a mobile and accurate quarterback along with quick-strike backfield options like Le'Veon Bell keeping the D honest.

The need for a good secondary is minimized when you only have 3 games against elite quarterbacks and your own offense is capable of putting up big points itself.

SAR I

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Also, for what it’s worth, every other fan base has us pencilled in as last place in the division. 

Because they're ignorant savants who believe little sound bytes of 'dysfunction' on social media.

As Jets fans, we know better.

We're a second place team right now.  The question is, can we take first.

SAR I

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Gimme a fukkin break. MAC was FREDO, banging cocktail waitresses two at a time and couldn’t figure out how to order  a banana  Daquari.    FREDO was at the airport picking up HACK when real GMs we’re building an Oline and drafting Mahommes and Watson.   

I'm no Maccagnan fan but he took us from an Idzik disaster, through a rebuild, and on the cusp of the playoffs.

Unless you think it was all Christopher Johnson pulling the strings?

SAR I