There. I Said It. New York Jets - 2019 AFC East Division Champions

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Also, for what it’s worth, every other fan base has us pencilled in as last place in the division. 

What other fans think will not effect what happens on the field. 

I know what you’re saying but the offseason is the time for eternal optimism. 

I think Sam is going to make us...pretty good. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Titans at home looks more likely, though they could be consumed by their own hype and collapse as everyone is on the Browns this year.

The only good thing about the NY media and certain savant Jets fans who believe what they read is that the Jets won't go into the season thinking their world-beaters.  They are going to have a massive chip on their shoulders, probably will chant "dys-fun-ction! dys-fun-ction!" to themselves in the pregame pump-up huddle. 

SAR I

C'mon SAR.

No need to hate on a team who's been bad forever. 

If the Jets roster were the exact same as the Browns, many of us would be talking about a superbowl run. 

You and I both know that. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

The need for a good offensive line is minimized when you have a mobile and accurate quarterback along with quick-strike backfield options like Le'Veon Bell keeping the D honest.

The need for a good secondary is minimized when you only have 3 games against elite quarterbacks and your own offense is capable of putting up big points itself.

SAR I

You don’t know what this offense is capable of yet. It’s far from a sure thing. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Why?  A perfectly healthy Tom Brady only managed to go 11-5 last year, and all 5 losses were against weak non-playoff teams.

It's not so much that the Patriots take a step back; it's that the Jets finally take a step up. 

SAR I

He did show cracks last season and he's a year older so maybe?  I will just need to see it first before I believe it.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm no Maccagnan fan but he took us from an Idzik disaster, through a rebuild, and on the cusp of the playoffs.

Unless you think it was all Christopher Johnson pulling the strings?

SAR I

BS!   He left our roster in shambles year in, year out.  He was only slightly better than Idzik.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Why?  A perfectly healthy Tom Brady only managed to go 11-5 last year, and all 5 losses were against weak non-playoff teams.

It's not so much that the Patriots take a step back; it's that the Jets finally take a step up. 

SAR I

We keep looking at the Pats and those 11ish win seasons and have to remember that they were built with the help of some easy wins within their own division.  It sure helps to pencil in a 6-0 start from within your division and only needing to go .500 in your remaining 10 games to get to those totals

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The last 2 times the Giants won the SB, we were in a position to knock them out but lost both games.   we never play well against the NFC East. 

NFCe has historically  been a better division then most, Washington has been the only duck since they won 3 SB's, not so much the last 8 years as a division. Brady is 1-4 against NFCe and should be 0-4, except Mc Puke couldn't  get the job done.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

NFCe has historically  been a better division then most, Washington has been the only duck since they won 3 SB's, not so much the last 8 years as a division. Brady is 1-4 against NFCe and should be 0-4, except Mc Puke couldn't  get the job done.

Not only has the NFC East been a good division historically theres also a bit of luck involved, luck that is influenced by team records.  We hardly play the NFCE and given the quality of the teams and all the times we've been a down team why would we expect differently.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

We keep looking at the Pats and those 11ish win seasons and have to remember that they were built with the help of some easy wins within their own division.  It sure helps to pencil in a 6-0 start from within your division and only needing to go .500 in your remaining 10 games to get to those totals

This.

And part of my point-  with the Jets and Bills both improving the Patriots aren't a sure thing to get that traditional 5-1 record in the division anymore.  The Dolphins always seem to find a way to get a crazy split, and the Jets and Bills now have some firepower to fight back too.

The Pats were 11-5 last year.  That isn't some 14-2 juggernaut we're targeting.  They're not the '27 Yankees.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm no Maccagnan fan but he took us from an Idzik disaster, through a rebuild, and on the cusp of the playoffs.

Unless you think it was all Christopher Johnson pulling the strings?

SAR I

I'm just a little surprised you sometimes give credit to below standards accomplishments. I figured you for more of an, "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." kinda guy.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not only has the NFC East been a good division historically theres also a bit of luck involved, luck that is influenced by team records.  We hardly play the NFCE and given the quality of the teams and all the times we've been a down team why would we expect differently.  

The NFC East has been mostly mediocre since the cowboys dynasty ended in the mid 90s.  In the 80s through miss 90s it was far and away the best division in football.  Those days are LONG gone

8 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

NE is 1-3 against NFC east in SBs which has nothing to do with the NFC East and everything to do with anything can happen in one game just like when we beat them in the playoffs in 2010.

In the reg season in Brady era NE is 13-3 against NFC East.  The NFC east has been mostly mediocre this entire century.  There have been good teams (17 Philly) and good years(07) but it's mostly been mediocre.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The NFC East has been mostly mediocre since the cowboys dynasty ended in the mid 90s.  In the 80s through miss 90s it was far and away the best division in football.  Those days are LONG gone

Yet in the last 20 years they have 3 SB wins and many more appearances.  That seems above average just using simple math.  

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet in the last 20 years they have 3 SB wins and many more appearances.  That seems above average just using simple math.  

That's awesome, neither Giants team was great(10-6 and 9-7).  The eagles had a great year but just because the champ comes from a particular division doesn't make that division the best or else the AFC East would be the best with 9 SB apps and 6 SB wins since 2001.

Philly has been a top franchise most of the last 25 years, the Giants have playoff wins in just 3 postseasons since 1995, Dallas has 2 total playoff wins since 1997, Washington has 2 total playoff wins since 1992.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

NE is 1-3 against NFC east in SBs which has nothing to do with the NFC East and everything to do with anything can happen in one game just like when we beat them in the playoffs in 2010.

In the reg season in Brady era NE is 13-3 against NFC East.  The NFC east has been mostly mediocre this entire century.  There have been good teams (17 Philly) and good years(07) but it's mostly been mediocre.

NFC E has 13  SB's.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Historically.

Add in the Jets have had bad years

That we play every 4 years

And why I said luck is involved

On 6/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Skeptable said:

Why compare to last year... new coaches... they have upgraded or stayed the same at every position and have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL... 5-2 should easily be obtainable... people are putting too much stock in the terrible coaching they have had the last 4 years... Means nothing... 

I based my W/L on what I think is achievable and your response is .... they won 5 or less games the last 3 years... Who cares.. that doesn't mean jack sh*t... nearly every position has improved since last year and 3 aggressive coaches that are hungry for wins... A team that is starved for wins with great leaders.  Mosley is going to go down as one of the greatest acquisitions this organization has bought in FA... No matter the cost... He alone would bring wins by not allowing the stupid shallow cross 3 plays in a row to let Jags score a TD... 

Bell is the best weapon this team has seen since Keshawn...

Darnold is a hungry young player eager to learn with a future HOF RB, a fast WR that can burn, a possession WR that doesn't drop passes (yes he fumbles), and an up and coming all around TE...

I can't wait to see what Q and Polite can add... 

Sure they have holes... but as I have outlined... 

Bills (No way that they take the home opener)

Browns (People are underestimating the learning process of a Rookie HC) playing on MNF in an away game

Pats (Rarely win in September period)

Eagles (I think that unless something drastic changes Jets will have a tough time winning this)

Cowboys (1 sided offense against the defensive strength of this team)

Pats (They can't win twice but should be able to take one of the 2)

Jags (Are going to start falling apart when Foles starts throwing to ghosts)

Its not hard to see how they can win these games

I thought you were "Skeptable"???

This sounds mighty optimistic there buddy

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That's awesome, neither Giants team was great(10-6 and 9-7). 

Yeah, but they beat the cheats* and although I hate the Gints they have my everlasting respect for denying buttboy & company anymore stolen SB championships.

18 and Duhhhhhhhh - best ever.

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That's awesome, neither Giants team was great(10-6 and 9-7).  The eagles had a great year but just because the champ comes from a particular division doesn't make that division the best or else the AFC East would be the best with 9 SB apps and 6 SB wins since 2001.

Philly has been a top franchise most of the last 25 years, the Giants have playoff wins in just 3 postseasons since 1995, Dallas has 2 total playoff wins since 1997, Washington has 2 total playoff wins since 1992.

Every season you win a SB, youre the top team, sorry you dont accept that.  Or make excuses for it happening.

I'll take SBs over being "a top franchise" without the trophies.

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I thought you were "Skeptable"???

This sounds mighty optimistic there buddy

I am Skeptical of all the hatred and bad press towards the Jets... The way I look at it, at some point things have to break right for this franchise... and I think this team is a lot closer then the eternal pessimists that litter this forum. 

After nearly 40 years of fandom, I have been very pessimistic of a lot of the junk that the Jets were selling. This is a time where I believe the tides have shifted in the Jets favor and a lot of these armchair GMs around here think that because the Jets are light in 2 positions that they are doomed to finish below 500 again...

The Jets have a Franchise QB, this alone will solve a lot of problems... Most teams have weaknesses somewhere, The center will be fine (Do they need an upgrade, Yes), the way Bell runs and Sam can allude pressure, this isn't as big of a deal as people are saying. Plus they upgraded the Guard spot which will also help Harrison. Most of the issues with Long last year was the terrible shotgun snaps and snap fumbles.

Yes they need depth and help at CB but Robinson played better then people realize because he was forced into Safety position when Maye got hurt. Tru was hurt and for some reason was always out of position, which I think can be corrected. Poole is an above average Nickle CB that is going to punish passes over the middle. I would like another top tier CB on the other side of Tru, but hopefully the pass rush will be better with Q and Polite that the CBs don't need to hold their coverage as long. So the problem may not be as dire as it seems.

A lot of the short crosser problems they had last year was Lee playing out of position, missing assignments, and not passing off when needed. Sure he got graded very high in coverage for 2 games but the rest he was below average in coverage.  He was a liability which is also why he got benched and how do you get a weed suspension when you know when the tests are coming and you are in the middle of a season (Hence why Gase fired him and Leggett, 2 high level slackers within the organization).

Look, I understand the skeptics around here. In my personal opinion, this is something different from what the fans have seen in a long time... This a new chapter.  There is a perfect storm brewing and the skeptics are going to be late to the party... 

They are a dark horse for the AFC whether you choose to call me homer or not... I don't see the Jets through rose colored lens, I see a team that has finally made all the right decisions, no matter how they got to them... They are here now and the Jets are coming... It's gonna be a fun season.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Every season you win a SB, youre the top team, sorry you dont accept that.  Or make excuses for it happening.

I'll take SBs over being "a top franchise" without the trophies.

Getting hot for a month doesn't mean you are the best.  Greatness is confirmed over time.  I would obviously take SBs any way we can get them, had we won in 2009 or 2010 it would have been similar.  Good year with gear playoff run.  The NFC East has been mostly mediocre since the end of the cowboys dynasty, that's just a fact.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Getting hot for a month doesn't mean you are the best.  Greatness is confirmed over time.  I would obviously take SBs any way we can get them, had we won in 2009 or 2010 it would have been similar.  Good year with gear playoff run.  The NFC East has been mostly mediocre since the end of the cowboys dynasty, that's just a fact.

One more time.  Every season where you win the final game youre the best team. 

Its why they give you a trophy. They dont give it to the team most thought was the better team.

Guessing you didnt take into account over the course of a season there are reasons team lose, some that have nothing to do with talent.  Then there are teams at the end of the season playing to their talent level unlike earlier.   

More importantly, its why they play the game.  Using your logic when the season ends they should just go by records whatever and not bother actually playing the games.  

You win, you get the rings, you get the trophy, you get the write ups, the history 

Not someone on the internet making every excuse in world for them not being the champion.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time.  Every season where you win the final game youre the best team. 

Its why they give you a trophy. They dont give it to the team most thought was the better team.

Guessing you didnt take into account over the course of a season there are reasons team lose, some that have nothing to do with talent.  Then there are teams at the end of the season playing to their talent level unlike earlier.   

More importantly, its why they play the game.  Using your logic when the season ends they should just go by records whatever and not bother actually playing the games.  

You win, you get the rings, you get the trophy, you get the write ups, the history 

Not someone on the internet making every excuse in world for them not being the champion.

Greatness is earned over time not in a month.  They earned both SB titles but neither team was great and neither was the best.  In 1986 and 1990 they win 14 and 13 games, in 2007 and 2011 they won 10 and 9.  GREAT runs but not great teams.

• Sympathy 1

Whut?

Winning the Super Bowl makes you a GREAT team. 

Make the playoffs in a fluky off year somehow at 8-8 and go on to win the Super Bowl?

GREAT team.  

Trophy right there in the lobby of your building says so.

Every Super Bowl winner has something in common--World Champions.

If a World Champion isn't a great team then I don't know what is.

Not an all-time great--that's not the debate.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Greatness is earned over time not in a month.  They earned both SB titles but neither team was great and neither was the best.  In 1986 and 1990 they win 14 and 13 games, in 2007 and 2011 they won 10 and 9.  GREAT runs but not great teams.

You really just dont understand how sports work.

Who friggen cares how great you think they were?  Really they have the trophies, they have the rings and you have your twisted jealous views. 

Champions, look it up

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Who friggen cares how great you think they were?  Really, who are you, they have the trophies, they have the rings and you have your twisted views.  Champions, look it up

There is one great team every year. 

The one holding the trophy. 

Some might think the 18-1 Patriots were a great team.

No, they were not. They were bested.  

17 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

But wait, mark my words, he's going to come back with a boring, twisted circle jerk diatribe explaining why the Giants were not really champion like teams with Eli at QB.  Who of course isnt a HOF QB.  

It's almost as good as he explains, in depth, that the Jets didn't deserve to win SBIII.  

In years past it felt like any game where the Jets fell behind by 10 points or more was a lost cause.  We didn't have the ammo on offense.  But now, with Darnold, I think we'll be in every game and I don't think any game will be completely out of reach.  That's a good feeling to have...knowing that you're not relying on a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown to try to lead you back with his arm.

But it's not the second year Sam or even the new weapons and positional upgrades on O like Bell, Crowder, Osemele, etc. that excite me most.  It's the Jets Front 7.  I think our Front 7 was average to average+ last year with guys like Avery Williamson, Henry Anderson, Jenkins, Leo, etc.  We've infused some truly high-end, if not yet fully known, talent to that group this year.  I think CJ Mosley, Quinnen Williams and Jachai Polite have the potential to juice the Front 7 like nothing we've seen in a decade.  If Polite turns out to be the outside pass rusher that the Jets think he can be then lookout.  This group has the potential to turn the question of whether the Jets can get to the quarterback into who gets there first because several of them will.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who friggen cares how great you think they were?  Really they have the trophies, they have the rings and you have your twisted jealous views. 

Champions, look it up

They won the title, that had 2 great months.  They were not great teams and because they won it didn't mean their division was great.  The only reason they even made the playoffs in 2011 was because of how bad the division was.

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Greatness is earned over time not over a month.

The 2007 Patriots were great but anything can happen in one game and they were upset.  The 2010 Jets were not better than the 2010 Patriots despite beating them in the playoffs.  

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

But wait, mark my words, he's going to come back with a boring, twisted circle jerk diatribe explaining why the Giants were not really champion like teams with Eli at QB.  Who of course isnt a HOF QB.  

It's almost as good as he explains, in depth, that the Jets didn't deserve to win SBIII.  

I never said the Jets didn't deserve to win SB III I simply stated facts that we only had to win one playoff game to reach the SB and on top of that the game was at home against a team with a better record, that beat us AND had to play another playoff game just to face us.

Eli is not a Hall of famer, you just don't understand what true greatness is. The Giants deserved both SB titles, they earned each one with great playoff runs led by incredible defense and timely offense.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They won the title, that had 2 great months.  They were not great teams and because they won it didn't mean their division was great.  The only reason they even made the playoffs in 2011 was because of how bad the division was.

Theyre the Champions. 

I clearly have said in multiple posts that they have the trophies, they have the rings that they were the champions.

I also predicted you would try your hardest to make it something less.  You cant help yourself, have to change it into they werent good enough in your eyes.  Who give a shlt.  Theyll be the champions of those seasons forever I believe

Youre all too predictable.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I never said the Jets didn't deserve to win SB III I simply stated facts that we only had to win one playoff game to reach the SB and on top of that the game was at home against a team with a better record, that beat us AND had to play another playoff game just to face us.

And to defend yourself you repeat the statement.  We only had to win one playoff game and played home playoff games.  Ignoring we beat a team with a better record.  Gotcha.  

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Eli is not a Hall of famer, you just don't understand what true greatness is. The Giants deserved both SB titles, they earned each one with great playoff runs led by incredible defense and timely offense.

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Hes going into the HOF. You can dump on him, you can continue to denigrate his SBs by crediting everyone but him but the fact remains, hes top 10 in way too many categories with 2 SB wins.  He goes in easily.